Author Topic: How are you handling the loss?  (Read 187438 times)

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
Re: How are you handling the loss?
« Reply #100 on: December 06, 2012, 12:26:30 AM »
I like that image, but... Lineage 2? That's old too.  They should've made that dog be completely unrealistically shaped and had it say Blade and Soul beneath it.

fixed!
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

Ezuka

• Minion
« Reply #101 on: December 06, 2012, 12:29:11 AM »
+1, Healix.

Perfidus

• Elite Boss
  • "I, ah.. understand."
    • My arts.
« Reply #102 on: December 06, 2012, 12:36:47 AM »
A billion inf to you, Healix.

Sophronisba

• Lieutenant
« Reply #103 on: December 06, 2012, 12:43:03 AM »
The last two days of my life have been really, really crappy (all business-related stuff, no one's sick or anything like that). I did not realize how much I relied on City of Heroes for stress relief until I couldn't log on for a quick radio mission or two just to clear my mind. There have been at least half-a-dozen times in the last two days when I've thought, "In a minute I'll take a break and do a tip mission....oh, no, wait, I can't do that anymore." It is just such a bummer.

faith.grins

• Boss
  • Split your lungs with blood and thunder.
« Reply #104 on: December 06, 2012, 01:40:03 AM »
Man, that's just so spot on.  It's not that our game died, it's that NCSoft took it away from us.  That stings as much as anything else about this:  had the game been unprofitable, and no one had wanted to buy it, I'd be less chafed about the shutdown, and I wouldn't feel so wronged.  But that's not what happened; Poppa NCSoft just decided City of Heroes was too dirty and smelly to keep around the house anymore, so he just dragged it out back and shot it.

The last two days of my life have been really, really crappy (all business-related stuff, no one's sick or anything like that). I did not realize how much I relied on City of Heroes for stress relief until I couldn't log on for a quick radio mission or two just to clear my mind. There have been at least half-a-dozen times in the last two days when I've thought, "In a minute I'll take a break and do a tip mission....oh, no, wait, I can't do that anymore." It is just such a bummer.
That was another thing I loved about City of Heroes.  It's broken up in such a way that if you just wanna pop in for thirty minutes and get back to whatever else you've got going on, you can do that and you don't feel like you're stopping in the middle of something.  Most MMOs don't do that because they are, in the words of Brian Clevinger, "Designed to make you spend as much time as physically possible on them without feeling like you're never getting anywhere.  They have equations on white boards for this shit.  They find the values of these numbers to a decimal point further than NASA bothers with."
Aram:  "Man, just look at all this.  Sometimes it's hard to believe that we get to live surrounded by such wonder."
Gamal:  "We don't live over there." Aram:  "We don't?"
Gamal:  "No.  We live over there." Aram:  "... But it's all on fire."
Gamal:  "Yes it is, Aram.  Yes it is."

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #105 on: December 06, 2012, 02:38:49 AM »
We made slashdot mainpage.

We made MMORPG.com mainpage
"The efforts of the City of Heroes players have been spreading throughout the Internet. Celebrities such as actor Sean Astin, actress Tara Platt, authors Neil Gaiman, Mercedes Lackey, John C. Wright, Laurell K. Hamilton, and web comic artist and illustrator John Kovalic"

We aren't there yet. But we are almost to the point of pervasive.  Keep plugging.

Also, this:

http://lifehacker.com/5965703/the-science-of-storytelling-why-telling-a-story-is-the-most-powerful-way-to-activate-our-brains

Tell your stories.  Tell them everywhere.  So what if you attract unicorns?  No one will remember their idiocy and they WILL remember your stories because brains remember stories better than anything else.

I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

SARobb

• Boss
  • Rawr.
« Reply #106 on: December 06, 2012, 05:26:43 PM »
I'm upset tbh.  It was way easier when I could sign on and play a bit.  Now that I can't, I'm determined to get my home back...

A blast from the past:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qcjoOdVHR8

Stand up for what you beleive in - even if you are standing alone

Terwyn

• Plan Z: Business/Marketing Lead
  • Elite Boss
    • Missing Worlds
« Reply #107 on: December 06, 2012, 05:49:14 PM »
We made slashdot mainpage.

We made MMORPG.com mainpage
"The efforts of the City of Heroes players have been spreading throughout the Internet. Celebrities such as actor Sean Astin, actress Tara Platt, authors Neil Gaiman, Mercedes Lackey, John C. Wright, Laurell K. Hamilton, and web comic artist and illustrator John Kovalic"

We aren't there yet. But we are almost to the point of pervasive.  Keep plugging.

Also, this:

http://lifehacker.com/5965703/the-science-of-storytelling-why-telling-a-story-is-the-most-powerful-way-to-activate-our-brains

Tell your stories.  Tell them everywhere.  So what if you attract unicorns?  No one will remember their idiocy and they WILL remember your stories because brains remember stories better than anything else.

I was wondering where that article went to. I was going to use something similar back in Part III, but couldn't locate what I was looking for. Thanks!
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.
- Albert Einstein

http://missingworlds.wordpress.com

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
« Reply #108 on: December 09, 2012, 01:48:42 AM »
fixed!

While I'm feeling much better than I did one week ago, part of me still feels like the child in this cartoon.   My inner child doesn't care how wonderful the other dogs are, but wants the doggie that was my beloved canine companion.  RL, we had to put our family dog to sleep for health reasons when I was 17.  I'd helped pick him when I was 4, so he was a constant in my life.  As he aged we cared for him, loved him as much as ever, and the idea of trading him in for a younger, more vibrant dog was unthinkable.

While the metaphor can be extended only so far - and not everyone feels about pets the way I do - we'd bonded.  City of Heroes was an amalgam of what one personally put into it, what the developers had put in, and what you, the community, put in.  No other MMORPG is ever going to give me the familiar comfort and fun I had playing City of Heroes no matter how objectively "better" its features may be.  My inner child cares not one whit about possible infirmaties in an "aging engine"; besides, from Issues 15 - 23 with a peek at i24 on Beta, the development team kept my MMO spruced up and always ready for more fun and adventure.

If ever I get to play CoH again, the first thing I'll want to do is ITF, that masterpiece of co-operation between rival opposites to fend off an even greater threat, a theme repeated from the Rikti War Zone, and later Dark Astoria.  This theme is a signature piece for City of Heroes 

While it's not the music that plays during the missions, this youtube captures as much as a single video can what I came to love and how I felt during Sunset:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdNaLitjgJs

(And, yeah, I've also read as best I can what the teammates said to one another during it.)

My first dog passed away 35 years ago.  I'm well over that grief, but I still love him, for he was the bestest dog!  And, ya  know, we'd bonded.
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

faith.grins

• Boss
  • Split your lungs with blood and thunder.
« Reply #109 on: December 09, 2012, 03:34:58 AM »
If ever I get to play CoH again, the first thing I'll want to do is ITF, that masterpiece of co-operation between rival opposites to fend off an even greater threat, a theme repeated from the Rikti War Zone, and later Dark Astoria.  This theme is a signature piece for City of Heroes 
I likened the ITF to an old, comfortable couch, once.  It's not that it's the best couch money can buy; it's that it's a damn good couch that you've been using for years.  It feels right, perhaps because you've worn a you-shaped groove in its cushions.

Yeah.  I'll be rounding up ITFs and BAFs in Pinnbadges the day the servers come back online if I can.
Aram:  "Man, just look at all this.  Sometimes it's hard to believe that we get to live surrounded by such wonder."
Gamal:  "We don't live over there." Aram:  "We don't?"
Gamal:  "No.  We live over there." Aram:  "... But it's all on fire."
Gamal:  "Yes it is, Aram.  Yes it is."

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #110 on: December 09, 2012, 03:49:31 AM »
This link was posted on the "thank the media" thread.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7273267891?page=1

I wanted to point out the main quote from the original poster on that thread:

...an MMO shutting down puts the player in the unusual situation of attending his own funeral; you play the role of the deceased and the survivor, and it's a sort of double-whammy when you know both what you've lost and what can never be revisited again.

That just sums it all up. Right there.

corvus1970

• Elite Boss
  • A true ruler is as moral as a Hurricane.
« Reply #111 on: December 09, 2012, 04:09:00 AM »
In my case, the difference between today and yesterday is like light and dark. Yesterday I was really, really down. Today I was led to the very-cool DEMOlition .demorecord converter. After using it to convert a few Sentinel Plus files into neat little character-demos, I was inspired to learn some basic demo-editing, which eventually led to me creating this:

Right now I'm in a pretty good mood :)

... ^o^CORVUS^o^
"...if nothing we do matters, than all that matters is what we do."
http://corvus1970.deviantart.com/

Perfidus

• Elite Boss
  • "I, ah.. understand."
    • My arts.
« Reply #112 on: December 09, 2012, 05:14:23 AM »
How did you do this? Could you write a little tutorial? I'd love to get a group photo of my people...

corvus1970

• Elite Boss
« Reply #113 on: December 09, 2012, 05:17:38 AM »
Sure! I'll write something up and post it tomorrow :)
... ^o^CORVUS^o^

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #114 on: December 09, 2012, 05:20:32 AM »
I think I would worship you if you did that.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

corvus1970

• Elite Boss
« Reply #115 on: December 09, 2012, 05:23:56 AM »
Heh, thanks. I promise to post an example of what I did, and to make it super-simple, I'll just go ahead and use Brickstown as an example, like I did above.
... ^o^CORVUS^o^

Perfidus

• Elite Boss
  • "I, ah.. understand."
    • My arts.
« Reply #116 on: December 09, 2012, 05:50:35 AM »
Thank you so much already. I have the demolition and the Zloth demo player. All I need is your know how!

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
« Reply #117 on: December 09, 2012, 06:23:43 AM »
I likened the ITF to an old, comfortable couch, once.  It's not that it's the best couch money can buy; it's that it's a damn good couch that you've been using for years.  It feels right, perhaps because you've worn a you-shaped groove in its cushions.

Yeah.  I'll be rounding up ITFs and BAFs in Pinnbadges the day the servers come back online if I can.

Not only do I find the thought of that pleasing -  remember I am a sentimental old silly, just not all the time - but I really like your metaphor of a truly comfortable couch, good quality, durable, yet comfortable for all the reasons you name.  Things that fit are comfortable.  Things that are familiar bring a certain level of comfort simply in the familiarity.
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

Tahliah

• Lieutenant
« Reply #118 on: December 09, 2012, 10:58:44 AM »
How am I handling the loss?  Not well.  Not well at all.  After looking at, trying out so many other games, I truly realize the unique wonderfulness that was COX.  We talk a lot about the community, and yes, that was a key part of the game, but ultimately, I've found, that the actual game itself is irreplaceable.  I can't find another game that simply logging on to makes me smile, makes me happy.  I can't find another game that is as elegant and beautiful (working with the CO interface in all its clunky glory awakened me to that), nor one that that's basic level of engagement with toon builds was so intuitive and easy.  Sure, you could make your build as complex and fabulous as you wanted, but a basic, SO or IO build would serve you well.  It wasn't a nightmare to learn the recipes--they were right there, get these ingredients, and viola! the magic happens.  Not so with other games where you have to guess or research what runes/gems/shiny crap combines to make something (hopefully better, but who knows?).  Your build? Pick these powers and you can rock it!  Or, if you pick wrong, respec ahoy!  (So few games offer respecs, a thing I took totally for granted with COX).

I. Miss. Flying.  I miss regular flight, and I miss my rocket/hover board.  I loved that hoverboard thing so much.

I miss just running missions without umpteen mini-movies (I hate, really hate, cut scenes, and every freaking game has them, it seems).

I miss my friends.  I had two groups that I ran with regularly and another two that I ran with at set days/times.  I miss that.  They've all gone on to different games that I can't stand (SWTOR and CO mostly), but I just can't stand either and am heading, in the New Year, I think to TSW.  And yes, just mentioning the New Year makes me think nostalgically of the hideous Baby New Year . . . . heh.

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #119 on: December 09, 2012, 11:22:26 AM »
Tahliah, this is just for you :)
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.