Author Topic: How are you handling the loss?  (Read 187316 times)

LadyVamp

• Elite Boss
Re: How are you handling the loss?
« Reply #500 on: May 01, 2013, 11:16:27 PM »
This.  Gone were the days of WoW where you had to get a tank and a healer...even in the days after the dungeon finder it was pretty annoying. 
I remember going through some missions with my katana/willpower scrapper Serkana and one of my friends with an invulnerability tanker.  We were facing the Lost, so he was pretty much resistant to everything BUT Psionic attacks, but as I had Willpower I was immune to most of it.  So the two of us cleared out some missions with the difficulty raised with him tanking and myself off tanking when he would wipe (due to psi attacks).  In what other game can I have a character that can DPS and Off-tank long enough for the tank to rez and come back?  Also, I would be having fun the entire time and not have a lick of frustration.

Man...Other MMOs just do not even come close to CoH in so many regards. :-\

I loved it from the other side when I could login on my emp/rad def and before I got the window where I could control my toon, I had 4 or more tells asking me to join the team.  I even loved it when players understood when I'd concentrate on keeping the tank alive because the mish was set too high and all that kept the tank going was heal other/healing aura chained.  I miss those days so much.
No Surrender!

Cinnder

• Boss
« Reply #501 on: May 02, 2013, 08:02:09 PM »
Well, this kinda sneaked up on me, though I should have seen it coming.

Saw (and enjoyed) IM3 today, and tonight the loss of CoX is hitting me harder than ever.  I never thought about it before, but for the past 8 years after any superhero movie I always came home and played my own heroes (or villains).

Tonight it feels like a gaping wound.  :(

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #502 on: May 03, 2013, 05:00:51 AM »

Saw (and enjoyed) IM3 today, and tonight the loss of CoX is hitting me harder than ever.  I never thought about it before, but for the past 8 years after any superhero movie I always came home and played my own heroes (or villains).

I know how you feel. Superhero movies and TV series have been my (oh so poor) replacement for CoH. I have lost count how many times I have watched IM1 & 2, Thor, Captain America, The Incredible Hulk, The Avengers, Green Lantern (both animated and live action), The Justice League, Sky Captain and the world of Tomorrow, etc.

Yeah, I have quite a collection of Superhero movies. Just like a lot of you, I'll bet. :)
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

NecrotechMaster

• Elite Boss
  • is there a badge for that?
« Reply #503 on: May 03, 2013, 06:23:08 AM »
Ive never been interested in playing LoL, i am severely turned off by PVP focused games

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #504 on: May 04, 2013, 01:21:46 AM »
I deeply miss the community after a night like tonight.

I was just logged into Marvel Heroes for a few moments to see if a particular crash-inducing bug with cinematics had been fixed.  Apparently, though, I'm one of only two people who've reported this, so the tech guys don't have much to go on at the moment.  :(

I put up a call to the maybe thirty other people milling about in Avengers Tower, asking if anyone else were experiencing the same.  After about two or three minutes of dead silence, I finally got a reply saying that one guy hadn't.

In City, there'd be loads of broadcast and local chatter, and folks would have been more than willing to reply with a simple, "Not yet, Tubby," or "Yup, me too!" or some such.

I have great hopes for Marvel Heroes, and I want to see it do well now that it's hit open beta and releases on June 4, but I DO miss my City of Heroes friends.

LT. Couper

• Boss
  • The battle won't end until it's won!
« Reply #505 on: May 04, 2013, 04:09:57 AM »
Well, I was hoping to make my 100th post a bit more important or profound, but this'll have to do.
Got home from watching IM3 with a bunch of my friends about two hours ago. None of them played CoH nearly as much as I did and only a few had even tried it, so I doubt they knew what I was going through (mostly because I didn't even realize I was going through it until a little while ago). I noticed that, naturally, I've been extremely focused on superheroes lately. I've been watching lots of Marvel movies and trying to find superhero games to play. I can't seem to get into CO for very long, so I've really been playing lots of single player games on my PS3. I've mostly been playing Batman: Arkham City, and Lego Batman2. Sadly, as these are single player games, it's quite lonely, and I find myself failing to fill the void left by a lack of in-game community. Many other MMOs are greatly lacking in player mobility. Such as when you jump, your character only does a jumping animation, not actually going anywhere. A lack of effective jumping is probably my biggest MMO peeve, even if I can't fly around a city, it's basic jumping that gets to me.

Anyway, there you go. That's my 100th post about how I'm coping 5 months post-sunset. I'm going to get some much needed sleep now.
"Heroes may die, but heroism never shall." ~Cyrus "Breakneck" Thompson

nataliaofvirtues

• Minion
« Reply #506 on: May 04, 2013, 06:02:49 AM »
Hello All. I want to start this post by saying that I miss each and every one of you. Granted I did not know each of you personally, but I am sure I saw you somewhere in our homeland of COX. As far as how I am doing with our loss, I have to say not worth a hill of beans. I miss our game so badly that I recently bought the games City of Heroes, City of Villains and Going Rogue along with the City of Heroes game guide and a paperback called The Web of Arachnos. Now I have no idea what I am going to do with these things, but it made me feel a little better having them. I think I must be "one sick puppy". Anyway, I just wanted to say that I miss you all.

Perfidus

• Elite Boss
  • "I, ah.. understand."
    • My arts.
« Reply #507 on: May 04, 2013, 06:09:10 AM »
I miss you too. More importantly, I miss knowing you were in a game where I could find you and play with you and interact with you. Make friends with you.

And 'you' doesn't just mean you, Natalia. It means every poster on this board. I'm very sorry I didn't get to know some of you before the game was taken from us all.

Nebularian

• Boss
    • Voyages of Imagination
« Reply #508 on: May 04, 2013, 03:03:43 PM »
And 'you' doesn't just mean you, Natalia. It means every poster on this board. I'm very sorry I didn't get to know some of you before the game was taken from us all.

Imagination is a wonderful thing.   I don't think I actually played with very many of the people I have seen posting here, but I do recall seeing some of them.

I can and do imagine entire adventures with people I never actually adventured with....and it brings a smile to my face :)
(@Nebularian)(AKA Dylan Clearbrook) Champion/Virtue - Nebularian/Sgt. Raines/Nurse Darklight/Cosmicana-Cosmicella/Mercy Vengeance/Angel Sprite/Suzy Uzi/Blue Arc/Dark Carolyne 

srmalloy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #509 on: May 05, 2013, 01:52:48 AM »
Hello All. I want to start this post by saying that I miss each and every one of you. Granted I did not know each of you personally, but I am sure I saw you somewhere in our homeland of COX.

And it's sentiments like this that leave me convinced that any standalone solution that lets us take our characters back to Paragon City is going to be, at best, a stopgap solution, and, in some ways, worse than nothing. Paragon City was more than just the place; it was all of the heroes and villains that occupied it, and I won't be satisfied until I can greet all of you again on the streets of our city.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #510 on: May 05, 2013, 03:33:04 PM »
I myself find I miss city of heroes alot, often times even more with the recent happenings in CO(alot of shutdowns thanks to neverwinter being added to the server).  I find the biggest things I've felt I missed were things like time manipulation, water blast and storm summoning.  CO is a different game and I understand that, but I feel the lack of buffs/debuffs/crowd control really leaves CO a shallow game for me.  It's as if CO takes a step backwards when it comes to MMO's at times.  While I have made new friends in CO, and it'd make it painful for me to return to CoX at CO's expense, honestly i'd still return to CoX if it was rebooted.  I'll say I'm not handling it so well because of that.

I often feel like crap because of the "need" people have to have a healer around me, due to them playing archtypes that cannot support themselves in CO, I feel like I don't get to use half of my main characters actual in-character abilities in that game, because the options are either A: not there(such as staff fighting) or B: so pathetically weak as to be redundant and useless(telepathy).
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Lightslinger

• Elite Boss
  • @Lightslinger, Virtue
« Reply #511 on: May 06, 2013, 12:44:56 PM »

The extremis guys made me want a Fire Blaster/Brute again so bad... :gonk:

I'm the same way, whenever I watch any superhero movie/tv show I get so many ideas for CoH characters going.

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #512 on: May 07, 2013, 07:10:58 PM »
Same here.  Heck, not just straight-up superhero.  I look at characters from books, movies, tv shows, video games, even other MMOs, and I replicate them in my head as a CoH character.  It's one of the many reasons I can't enjoy any other MMO as much as CoH: I could easily make characters from, say, WoW in CoH, but not the other way around.

antarcticaa

• Lieutenant
« Reply #513 on: May 07, 2013, 11:59:29 PM »
I had such a detailed CoX dream the other night that I was devastated when I woke up.  Dreamed I was teaming with new people on missions similar to those we all did in Peregrine and getting to know the other players in game chat.  That's what made us so different, that's what keeps going thru my mind- our community.  Lord I miss that.

Trying to salve some of the loss by reading VV's "Secret World Chronicles", Peter Clines' "Ex-Heroes" and Ernest Cline's "Ready Player One."  All good reads.  Enjoy the characters and plot-lines but just can't grab that feeling of interaction we shared in-game. 

::insert heavy sigh here::

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #514 on: May 08, 2013, 06:03:19 AM »
I had such a detailed CoX dream the other night that I was devastated when I woke up.  Dreamed I was teaming with new people on missions similar to those we all did in Peregrine and getting to know the other players in game chat.  That's what made us so different, that's what keeps going thru my mind- our community.  Lord I miss that.

Trying to salve some of the loss by reading VV's "Secret World Chronicles", Peter Clines' "Ex-Heroes" and Ernest Cline's "Ready Player One."  All good reads.  Enjoy the characters and plot-lines but just can't grab that feeling of interaction we shared in-game. 

::insert heavy sigh here::

you might also give Wearing the cape a try. It's not too bad a read, from the little of it I've experienced.
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #515 on: May 12, 2013, 04:57:22 AM »
Tony, anyone, if I die from a heart attack, please know that it was probably a lack of city of heroes that caused it, aka.. every time i remember Coh and CoV I .. I AHH I get such a STRONG urge to play and have to tell my subconscious that at the moment it's impossible, to which it responds by making my heart regurgitate it's own blood. so... yeah, if I get a heart attack, that could be a very nice thing to take NCSoft to court over.

it wouldn't make titan look bad and would probably get the rights to the IP released from NC's clenches. if it happens... just don't waste the opportunity ok?
There is always another way. But it might not work exactly like you may desire.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

Nebularian

• Boss
    • Voyages of Imagination
« Reply #516 on: May 12, 2013, 01:40:47 PM »
you might also give Wearing the cape a try. It's not too bad a read, from the little of it I've experienced.

That's actually not a bad read.  I've read everything put out so far (2 books, one short, and one spin-off) and am waiting on the next!.
(@Nebularian)(AKA Dylan Clearbrook) Champion/Virtue - Nebularian/Sgt. Raines/Nurse Darklight/Cosmicana-Cosmicella/Mercy Vengeance/Angel Sprite/Suzy Uzi/Blue Arc/Dark Carolyne 

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #517 on: May 13, 2013, 01:31:59 AM »
the world must be about to end or something, everything is going to pot just as was prophesied, phuq, we may never get CoH back in time before the end..

everyday theres somehting that reminds me of Coh and today is no exception.. I saw IT... I had seen pictures in previous days and refuted THEM as work of a crappy artist who was trying to draw scenes... turns out.. I saw it as a video advertisement in a theater today...

Teen Titans Go...

they destroyed it.

normally when the outside world would destroy stuff I'd come back to CoH as it was a very safe ground for the absence concept destruction... but now it's not there..

it's all a conspiracy!! the companies are getting lazier and want to force us to accept poor quality half ass filth, but they can;t get away with it so long as there are decent quality mediums remaining.

well they wont be getting 1 cent from me!

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

NecrotechMaster

• Elite Boss
  • is there a badge for that?
« Reply #518 on: May 13, 2013, 06:18:13 AM »
the teen titans remake has been advertised on tv for at least the last month, i personally never liked the original teen titans that was on cartoon network, but it was better than the remake

i dont think the same fate would befall our city should it get remade, in fact if anything one of projects being worked on may turn out equal to or better than the original

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #519 on: May 15, 2013, 03:16:55 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MmHDd82y1U

I miss pocket D, I still have my pocket D card... it's in my walet where ever I go, so if there is a superhero club out there I have my ID card lol