Author Topic: How are you handling the loss?  (Read 187369 times)

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
Re: How are you handling the loss?
« Reply #460 on: March 23, 2013, 08:25:28 AM »
I am coping by logging into Titan Network forums (yet again) and reading and posting blogs, rather than having an adventure (solo or teamed) on one of my many CoH avatars.  (Insomnia can be such a gift!)  :D

Oh, and IF this is okay (if not, I humbly request Moderation and/or Censure) I have recently gotten into this youtube series by a Tibetan Buddhist nun whose talks I find uplifting, rational, spiritual and non-religious.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0L-MQaxRAU 7:18 of "Transforming problems pt 1" Thubten Chodron  (I really recommend giving part 1 and part 2 a chance as you make up your own mind about what she is saying.)

I also cope by listening to favorite music, such as "Beat Patrol" by Jefferson Starship, 1987 (back when I was a mere lad of 27)  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VabzPmlaWOI   Enjoy!!!!!  (Assuming my taste in music isn't too archaic.)
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

Aura Controller

• Minion
  • "Hey, is there room in that head for one more?"
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #461 on: March 24, 2013, 11:48:49 PM »
Thoth Mer

"I was spending time with my heroes who are real to me in a world where our realities juxtaposed."

I have only read to that line so far but, plan on reading the rest.
I just wanted to say that I loved, love, and always will love all of my Heroes, Villains and the ones that fall into the Grey patch in the middle.
As a matter of a fact the more time that go's by I find myself starting books slowly but surly for all of them.

Also I have (Yes I said have because no one can take her or any of my creations from my heart.) this one girl her name is Willow Hemera anyone on here ever meet her? Virtue server. Heh. Anyway she is so unique from any other of my creations she actually knew she was in a game and created by me who as she referred to as her voice. Also have a book for her in the works. Heh.

Anyway what I really wanted to say I guess is that to me. All my creations are real if only in text and in my mind now. They will forever be real so long as paper last or I live.

And I am doing a LOT better as of late. I really think it is the fact that I am making books for all my girls and guys to live in forever.

Take care guys. Peace!  8)
http://www.youtube.com/user/AccidentalPsychopath

Look I'm on YouTube!
Is it OK to advertise that down here? O.o
Also does anyone ever read these?

Risha

• Boss
  • Dancing at the end of the World
« Reply #462 on: April 07, 2013, 06:21:48 AM »
While waiting for the patch to load on The Secret World, I hit the forums here and spent all night here.  Guess I am still not dealing with the loss well.  I want COX back.
Writer of Fantasy and Fantasy Romance

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #463 on: April 11, 2013, 06:06:17 AM »
Even now, it is still difficult to watch videos. I still have days where I long to traverse the City streets and become a special part of myself.
I never thought I could miss my CoH so much....
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

DJMoose

• Missing His Jeep
  • Boss
  • To believe in the heroic makes heroes.
« Reply #464 on: April 11, 2013, 06:16:57 AM »
Today?  Not too well...

You can see my post here in the "I really miss this game" thread.

So yeah... :-\
Serkana The Wise
Primal Praetorian

MaidMercury

• Elite Boss
« Reply #465 on: April 13, 2013, 03:03:26 PM »
To be honest, I've grown tired of feeling sorrow.
But haven't thrown in the Towel.

Just trying to see if any new plan of action comes up.
I've already written letters, 'liked' articles, voted here,there, and now waiting on some Save CoH banner project to come to light.
[ex:so I can help fund it.] heck, I'd even donate to help some saavy business person acquire it.

Wammo

• Lieutenant
« Reply #466 on: April 13, 2013, 05:53:41 PM »
I'm not today  :(

candidate

• Underling
« Reply #467 on: April 13, 2013, 08:00:29 PM »

Tanklet

• Boss
« Reply #468 on: April 14, 2013, 09:00:18 PM »
Not dealing with it well. No other game has attracted me as much. What I wouldn't give to see Atlas, or Studio 55, or the wards ... What I wouldn't give to make an AE arc. ... I have this strong urge and desire to write ... but it just feels like something's holding me back. .. CoH was my creative outlet for years. Life's not been the same since D-Day

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #469 on: April 14, 2013, 10:58:40 PM »
Someone else on this forum said it best.. I am not an MMO player.. I am a CoH player..

Let me just share some of my grief...

Im missing so so many of my characters right now..

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #470 on: April 14, 2013, 11:04:31 PM »
Remembering in particular flying straight through Steel Canyon only to land majestically in front of the Midnighter's Club so I could log out in the University.  I teach English in real life, so it fit that I would log out there when I could.

:)

Tanklet

• Boss
« Reply #471 on: April 14, 2013, 11:56:17 PM »
Daria St. Claire Smith - Wife, mother of 2, archmage, philanthropist, teacher, heroine

Kiara Drako - Wife, mother of one, demigoddess, heroine

Sera Delina Drako - Half dragon, half demi, daughter of Kiara, somewhat betrothed to Victor Smith (Daria's son), powerful heroine

Sonja Kincaid - Ex Knives, her story was the one that was least complete. Had her heart broken, and now doesn't know which side of the law she'd rather be on. My pseudo anti hero with a heart she keeps hidden behind stone. Currently with someone who cares for & loves her, but she won't let herself feel the same.

Amanda Dillinger - A grounded, well rounded college student, possessed by darkness itself, but has the power to use it for good. She had some bumps along the way, but ended up better than when she began.

Kat McBain - A freelance journalist whose love of ancient artifacts sort of backfired on her. She never got much game play. Her stories just never began...

Incarna St. Claire - Daria from another dimension, a demon summoner who sought only revenge after the one man she loved was killed. It didn't matter that he was a killer himself. She was destroyed in her quest for revenge, but that only sent her back to a realm that does her bidding. Never got the chance to bring her back.

Gina Wyatt - Hacker, thief, and all around quirky girl. So much lost potential

:(

Yeah ... I'm mourning my characters just a lil ... :(

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #472 on: April 15, 2013, 10:34:14 AM »
I realized another reason why CoH is unique the other day, while trying to fight endgame mobs in another game, and dying repeatedly.  My character was at the level cap, with exceptionally good gear, but the enemies had approximately twice as much HP and did twice as much damage as I did (and were about 20-30 levels higher than I was - even though I was at the level cap, that cap doesn't apply to monsters).  These weren't bosses or any major enemies, mind you, just wandering mobs on the overworld.  And I couldn't beat a single one of them.

And my friends are giving me advice, saying "Well, you have to memorize the exact range of their attacks and make sure you stay out of it, and don't get in line with them even though all your attacks require you to be in line with them, and don't use summons even though summons are the main survival tool for your class because the mob will use the summon to teleport over to you", and on and on.  And I'm going "You know these are minions, right?  I shouldn't need to have Batman-level tactics just to beat one guy with a sword."

And that's when realization struck - CoH is the only game that, for the most part, let the player dictate the pace of the fights.  A player could build their character so that the character's powers were things the enemies had to work to overcome, rather than the other way around.  Whether it was my Energy Melee Brute stunning everyone she came across, or my Dominators mezzing bosses left and right, or just my Electric Melee Brute knocking everyone around him down with Lightning Rod and Thunderstrike (and Air Superiority), I felt like I was in control of the majority of my fights (with the main exceptions being large group AV fights and Incarnate trials).

I don't feel in control like that in any other MMO, but that complete lack of control and random enemies who can completely crush you unless you have perfect strategy seem to both be industry standards.

Nebularian

• Boss
    • Voyages of Imagination
« Reply #473 on: April 15, 2013, 01:10:14 PM »
How am I handling the loss?  hmmm.  I thought pretty well.  But the other night, I actually dreamed of doing the Midnighter arc in Steel Canyon.

Clear as day, I saw heroes leaping down into the caverns below the building, battling the Lost.  Granted, I went to sleep thinking of how I wanted to handle a situation in my fan-fiction.....but to dream it so clearly?  I mean, I even dreamed about the confusion as the group split, some heading to the right while the others went left when the heroes hit the fork.

sigh.
(@Nebularian)(AKA Dylan Clearbrook) Champion/Virtue - Nebularian/Sgt. Raines/Nurse Darklight/Cosmicana-Cosmicella/Mercy Vengeance/Angel Sprite/Suzy Uzi/Blue Arc/Dark Carolyne 

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #474 on: April 16, 2013, 07:42:26 PM »
Was looking through some truly ancient screenies today. They were before I got a computer upgrade.

I miss the game, especially the Isles, so badly it almost physically hurts. I just want to be on a lowbie, standing by the Arbiter at the Port Oakes arena. Other players running up, leveling up and then running off. The drones hovering there, humming. There's the vendor over there, one block over. Let's go inside and pick up a few inspirations before I go wale on Lt. Blechy. He will not escape...!!!!

I miss all this so badly it hurts.

Absolute

• Lieutenant
« Reply #475 on: April 17, 2013, 03:47:06 AM »
To answer the title;

I'm actually getting a bit better in CoH, even though I haven't been able to play it. Mechanics in other games have made me realize some things I'd never seen in CoH.

Just today I created a Mids build for a Kat/Regen that would have completely destroyed my previous Claw/Regen. If only I were as creative then as now. Instead of spamming Divine Avalanche with procs to get both the defense/offense, I should have built pure offense/DPS and slot divine avalanche for pure defense, then switch between the two when necessary, rather than try to be an in-between. I'm sure this mistake cost me a lot of fights.

I also realized that my blaster was built wrong. A DPS blaster doesn't beat a burst blaster by out-damaging it quickly, but rather by surviving long enough to out DPS it. I made the mistake of going the first route, and straight for damage. If I had built mostly survivability, I would casually out-damage it over time. A burst character's weakness is a tanky character. I've only learned that recently in other games.

Aside from that, I'm playing other games. Minecraft, DayZ, LoL, APB to name a few.

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #476 on: April 18, 2013, 03:55:50 AM »
Got a question.

I, like others, deleted the NCsoft updater.   Or so I thought.   I just checked my start-up programs with CCleaner and this is listed:  HKCU:run   NCsoft

I can't disable it...but I do have the option to delete it...is that safe to do?

Perfidus

• Elite Boss
  • "I, ah.. understand."
    • My arts.
« Reply #477 on: April 18, 2013, 07:46:23 AM »
Go ahead, you won't need it.

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #478 on: April 18, 2013, 08:14:23 PM »
Go ahead, you won't need it.
Thanks.   :D

LadyVamp

• Elite Boss
« Reply #479 on: April 19, 2013, 12:15:54 AM »
When I'm feeling the need to see the world of coh again, I usually just watch:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9IFDGRp6tk

Brings a tear to me eye.  They did a great job pulling it together.  :'(
No Surrender!