Author Topic: How are you handling the loss?  (Read 187297 times)

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
Re: How are you handling the loss?
« Reply #440 on: March 05, 2013, 05:36:03 PM »

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #441 on: March 05, 2013, 05:43:34 PM »
Speaking as a computational intelligence expert, I don't think we'll actually see independent A.I. Whether or not it's possible is beside the point; the way I think we'll wind up advancing our technology, we'll have our brains neurally interfacing with computers, using ALUs and CPUs and GPUs as direct aids to our own thinking capacity and learning to control our computers and machinery much as we do our own bodies.

There will be intelligence in our machines, but it won't be artificial. It will be us, integrating our tools under the control of our minds just as surely as are our bodies.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #442 on: March 05, 2013, 06:01:41 PM »
Speaking as a computational intelligence expert, I don't think we'll actually see independent A.I. Whether or not it's possible is beside the point; the way I think we'll wind up advancing our technology, we'll have our brains neurally interfacing with computers, using ALUs and CPUs and GPUs as direct aids to our own thinking capacity and learning to control our computers and machinery much as we do our own bodies.

There will be intelligence in our machines, but it won't be artificial. It will be us, integrating our tools under the control of our minds just as surely as are our bodies.

uhhmm is that a good thing or bad thing? While here, we have a great concentration of intelligent people, the world as a whole, the meaning of intelligence is lost to many people. :p. Many havent even mastered the art of common sense. ;D

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #443 on: March 05, 2013, 07:08:26 PM »

If you think that your average big corporation isn't going to JUMP on the chance to build an army of wage-and-benefit-free robotic slave laborers, you have way more faith in human nature than I do.

There's also the strong probability that when this technology reaches anywhere near a manageable price, that people will be in "relationships" with them - far less messy than a relationship with another human, we can just order up our ideal partner and what on earth could possibly go wrong with these scenarios.....?! The privileged among us will be busily genetically- and cybernetically-modifying themselves as well, yes what on earth could possibly go wrong with all this.

I dont think all this is going to happen in our lifetimes, but yes it is coming. We are already being financially modified into a morlock/eloi division of humanity [1% vs 99%], sooner or later this will become physical fact as well. However this could easily devolve into a political argument so I'll stop there. Human depravity has no limit, after a lifetime of observation I am convinced of it.

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #444 on: March 05, 2013, 08:26:26 PM »
There's no profit to making AIs to the point that they're people, not for "wage slaves without the wages." Expert systems are entirely non-sentient, but automate intellectual work the way factories do manual labor.

Automation, not creation of sentient slaves, is how things are more likely to go in that direction. Eventually, you won't have to do more than walk your cart past a sensor and double-check the price to approve it before it auto-charges to your registered account. (Or walk it by, then swipe your debit card or insert cash.)

There is, again, no need nor reason to make "sentient AIs" that they can "abuse." It's part of the image of the "evil corporation" that is utterly foolish, because it's mustache-twirling evil for the sake of evil. It would cost more and create more problems on top of being likely unethical.

No, what's more likely is that expert systems in linguistic processing will get to a point that we'll have idiot activists who CLAIM they're sentient and deserve wages. And worse, truly evil people who will proclaim the same thing with intent of exploiting the "wages" these "slaves" are forced to be paid, looking to "protect" them through power of attorney or some such and just siphon money for themselves in that way.

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #445 on: March 11, 2013, 10:31:29 AM »
Last night was spent with my being unable to get to sleep at a reasonable hour, thanks to a mix of the Daylight Saving Time change messing with me and a nice, loooooong period of reminiscing about City of Heroes, seeing my various heroes in my mind's eye and feeling saddened by that being the only way I can see them now outside screenshots.  :(

I miss City of Heroes.  I've been enjoying other gaming interests to an extent--catching up on achievements on The Binding of Isaac and diving into the Marvel Heroes MMO closed beta--but as great as those games are, they're not the same as running around in Paragon City.  Nothing is.

Nafaustu

• Boss
« Reply #446 on: March 11, 2013, 08:05:43 PM »
I don't even enjoy games anymore.    Breath of Death VII and Epic Battle Fantasy 4 are slowly starting to save me.    I'm terrified of playing another MMO, even though i've played MMO's for YEARS.   I'm afraid to get invested.   I could lose everything on a whim.   I might actually be a lost market for them now...which is sad because I enjoyed being a dedicated crafter in a lot of games.

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #447 on: March 11, 2013, 08:39:44 PM »
my mad science antics are being put to good use on my current game project, I can now script nearly anything for a game wooo..
There is always another way. But it might not work exactly like you may desire.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #448 on: March 17, 2013, 11:23:00 PM »
I finally got to reconnect with my former co-founder of The Omniscients, from Justice, on another MMO just now.  We definitely agreed that, while fun, the game we were playing certainly wasn't City of Heroes.  We didn't mean that in a slight against the game in question, of course--merely a statement that City of Heroes was, in many ways, THE superhero MMO experience.

That said, it was good to catch back up with an old friend.  The funny thing is that, being an Internet buddy, I've known him for almost four years, now (which feels really weird to say!), but we've never actually met face to face.  Isn't it funny how things work out in modern life?

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #449 on: March 18, 2013, 12:04:30 AM »
Pretty well at this point actually. While i still miss CoH i joined a D&D campaign about a month ago, dug out my Mekton books and started tinkering with ideas, have been playing Torchlight II now and again, and have been working on some sculptural and clothing projects.
While i would love to have CoH or an equivalent game back it's not like i have an unfilled void in my life now. Hobbies and games come and go, but admittedly so far CoH is the only one to go that was unilaterally ended by something outside my control that i can't simply start up again later.
So far so good. Onward and upward!

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #450 on: March 18, 2013, 03:27:29 AM »
anger.. especially since i finally got enough money to build a new PC and now i cant pay CoH on it

Starship

• Underling
« Reply #451 on: March 18, 2013, 05:08:39 AM »
Okay, I found this site and registered.. glad to see I'm not the only one.
I felt a little loss when the game shut down.. didn't think it would really bother me in that I wasn't playing as often these days.

But I actually got pretty sad when I parked my little Taxibot on top of Wincott's car one last time before my final logout.
Lots of fun and memories, and hard work put into those toons.   So stupid that I was feeling melancholy over some pixels.

So I shook it off, dusted off WoW.. hated it.  Went to SWTOR, made a 50 and got bored..
GW2.. fun but not the same.

Then it hit me, it wasn't ever so much the game.  It was the people and the freedom that game offered.

It's pretty sad and pathetic really.  I do have a real life.. but at the end of the day I want to sit down and relax.  CoX was how I did that.
I really miss this game, and I'm not finding another game that fills that void.   It really sucks, I want CoX back.  I really missed playing with all of you.  :'(

Thoth Mer

• Underling
  • The sun never sets at Ouoroboros.
« Reply #452 on: March 18, 2013, 11:31:19 AM »
WALL OF TEXT which I know means most people won't read, but I'm writing more for myself than for you, so skip it if you don't like reading.

Contrary to Nyx, I Do have an unfilled void in my life now.  I can remember many, many years ago seeing CoH advertised and thinking how cool that would be, but paying to play a game has always been against my better judgment as money is hard to come by and shouldn't be wasted on non essentials.  If I had only known then...  It wasn't until I saw in an online community mention of CoH being free to play that I dived in.  And it was that... nothing near my normal toe testing the waters and checking the deep end first (Jaws).  Within a week I was paying to play.  And I don't know how to express what a huge deal that is for me, so please do your courtesy gawking here.  Thanks, looks believable, I can see you understand what I'm saying.

Some people here mention how they feel silly crying over pixels.  Take heart that you weren't telling everyone in your real life that you could now fly when you first started playing CoH, because that's exactly what I did.  I didn't care about the looks or what people might think, because now I had to maintain my secret identity and be mild mannered, so of course they wouldn't believe me when I said I can fly now!

It was eleven months that I got to play.  I'm a solo guy, and was very cautious of other people in game due to the stories I'd heard about the WoW community.  But as luck would have it, and as we all know, the CoX community is amazing.  After the first month I had some really fun people to dork around with and that's when I met some of the experts.  And not just normal experts.  Specifically my teacher, with the toons that when new people teamed with us they would all stand there in awe as Malta and Freaks and the rest were instantly annihilated without mercy, all while the toon was looking exceptionally fabulous!  It was like an off screen cue card holder was giving the new to the team people their lines because it was always the same thing:  "Holy Sh*t!"

Oddly enough, my main teacher is the worst at communicating.  One person, understanding what I was talking about, said you have to learn the language to communicate with him.  For a long time I thought maybe he just hated me!  He didn't.  I just hadn't learned his language yet.

Despite the many people that I played with who had what I call Supertoons, he still had a unique-to-most play style.  I watched him do it for weeks without understanding it, but when he finally explained it made so much sense.  Though some of his toons just devastated mobs before anyone else could get there, the same principle was used in teaming.  What his teachers had taught him and he knew for himself was that tanks are for aggro, so the tank runs around and gathers while everyone else watches from a distance.  Then, when the tank stops moving he's out of the line of sight of the foes so even ranged guys come in and he is mobbed, the team moves in and AoE's them all in seconds, and then it's on to the next area.  Once I understood what I was seeing because it was explained to me, it was so obvious!  After that going back to the normal team experience of simultaneous multiple one on one combats of team members and foes all spread out just seemed tedious and silly and looked so messy!  I just can't get over the differences in the two play styles.  And yes, many of you know this, but so many really good players just never did this and it's really night oranges and day apples different.  This was when I finally understood why he didn't explain to new-to-team players what was going on.  His thought was people should pick it up from observation.  Mine was, like me, explain it so we're all on the same page, so I became the narrator usually.  We learned a lot from each other and I am happy to say we still email occasionally, usually about what game doesn't stand up to our expectations in our search for the next MMO.

I say it's odd that he's so bad about communicating because when I first met him, we spent several hours standing in Wentworths as he patiently explained the whole thing to me.  This is when the game finally started to make a bit of sense to me.  I still couldn't build a toon, but I knew what things were now and what my goals would be.

I grew up on Marvel Comics.  I'm lost in that world and don't want to be found.  All I wanted to do when I first saw CoH was be a hero and fly.  I had no idea how complicated MMO's were and was not at all prepared.  I was overwhelmed and a not too bright noob and this guy just wasted his time, hours of it, to help me out.  Through him I met other "Supers" and finally got one of them to map out a MIDS build for a tank I'd started playing as Dual Blades/Fire.  I know.  Many will think I should have made it on my own.  But for me, true understanding of the system came from referencing that build and branching off from the guidelines I pieced together every time some one spit out a pearl of wisdom which I would copy, paste, and save for later reference.  I never actually simulated the build that was given to me entirely, I was a bit scattered with my many toons.  But I managed to keep what I liked while doing what I would have never done but was guided to do, and wound up with a, though Fire specific, Supertoon!  My bread winner to support my bad habit of blasters and too many other toons.  My teacher helped me with my next one, a "world tank" rather than a fire specific so I could play more freely I guess.  He helped me as I leveled him up.  It was a different experience than the first one because it was easy for him to understand the builds in his head, whereas I need a map to reference over and over.  So I had pages and pages of notes!  The end result, though I still needed to get all the recipes and slot him properly, was a very fun Axe/Shield tank.  Now I could play and not get killed All the time.  My first three toons were blasters, still my favorite type, and tanking would have been my last choice.  But City of Hospitals was not as fun for me as a blaster, so they were moved to the back for a while during my education.  Later I was able to play them more properly using what I'd learned about building toons and playing the game.  And nicely enough, I found out tanking is fun too.

That site where I found out CoH was free to play; I had 100+ avatars.  Characters of my own creation, favorite characters from more obscure sci-fi books, and some other sources.  All very real in my mind.  I've not been able to go back and enjoy that site still.  It holds no appeal to me, as was the case for a while before I left.

At CoH, when I found I could have toons on each server, I started populating other servers since Victory was full.  In eleven months I had 44 active established toons, and 25 or so more waiting for power set purchases or me to just have the time to start them up.  I was really looking forward to one of my early original toons getting to be a Beast Master/Nature's Affinity mastermind!  It was the perfect set choices for his look and story.  The character creator was frustrating to me because of it's limitations.  (Yes, I know what you're thinking.  This is how I am.  Imagine what I'm going through now without CoH!) 

I spent hours making my first toon.  Many hours.  I was quite happy with him.  I changed boots and gloves after a month or so.  That was all.  He got duplicated with different power sets on other servers a couple of times with Circle Of Thorns costume pieces, but he basically only had minor changes. 

I was passing through Ouoroboros once.  One of my favorite spots.  Most of my toons are there still, as I decided it was the most appropriate place to say goodbye to them.  Anyway, I noticed a cool looking toon and complimented him on it.  The guy thanked me for the comment and then proceeded to tell me he had seen me around for a while and his toon was inspired by mine.  Wow!  That was the best compliment I've ever gotten!  Good way to make it on to my friends list! 

All of my toons were the same way in that I never had any use for costume slots because I spent hours, days, weeks, and more getting them just right for my tastes.  Once I had them done, there wasn't ever any improvement I could find to make on them.  I experienced a humble pride every time someone would stop to compliment me on one of my toons or their names, which was a semi-regular occurrence.  Several times the compliment would come after many missions with a person then out of nowhere they would say something.  Perhaps that's what people do, but for me, I don't say something to someone unless I consider it exceptional and genuinely feel what I'm saying.  Similarly, I only used SG Bases for my toons on a server.  The design was a simple four rooms all for storage and crafting, purely for function only.  It surprised me every time someone came into my base and despite all the bases out there and all the people that have made them I would still be told my approach was cool and unique and had never occurred to them.  Then I'd bake them brownies!

As it turns out, for the original characters I made that were new to me rather than already existing in my mind, the hours spent in creation provided the time and inspiration for names, origin stories, character development (duh - but you know what I mean) and so on.  In other words, the process of creating was usually accompanied by watching these people develop as real-in-my-mind people.  So on one hand I'm creating, and on the other I'm actually viewing it happening as a spectator who is removed from it.  If that makes sense.

Well, it makes sense to me, and not long ago, it occurred to me that this is the key to why CoH is missed.  I'm sure many have already figured this out, and I know what I disliked most about NoCompassionSoft taking our world away was taking my toons from me, but maybe I've rediscovered this.  Yes, I miss my friends.  In such a short time I met so many wonderful people and I wish them all well and think of them often.  Yes, I miss Ouro, and the Shard, and Talos Island.  But what I've realized is more than anything I miss my heros.  Not Stan's Spidey or Moon Knight or Superman.  MY heroes.  Mine.  I never cared that I was doing the same missions over and over so much because what was really going on was I was spending time with my heroes who are real to me in a world where our realities juxtaposed. 

To me, This is why I miss CoH.  To me, this is what the secret of CoH's appeal is and what motivated the community to such (in my limited knowledge) great efforts and response to our loss.  This is what I will have to have from any game I choose to pay for in the future.  And since most games don't have that, well, I'm back to not spending money on some computer game.

It was worth it though.  The escape from daily life and all the crap that I've got going on.  The perfect way to wind down and relax and not worry.  I can't tell you how therapeutic soloing the Fire Cave in AE was for me.  A nice thrill to have the patrols flood around me and my hero.  Would we survive!?!  It was a thrill every time.  And that was a good way to give back to my friends who helped me make my Supertoon, by pl'ing their new toons left at the door while they went to sleep for the night, and of course it was fun if they wanted to join in too. 

So how am I handling the loss?  The way I handle most of the reality based things that make me sad.  Escapism.  I've caught up on my movies and videos.  Currently working my way through seven seasons of Mystery Science 3000, along with other stuff.  I've finished a couple of Nintendo games I have here.  Most of my time recently has been me populating a galaxy in my offline version of Spore.  Not too many complaints about that character creator!  Heaven would be combining CoH and Spore qualities into the same creator!  Oh to dream. But Spore is entertaining though a bit monotonous.  And I do a bit of writing!  See!  Another reason you wish CoH was still around, because I'd be there instead of writing all of this!

Online?  Unfortunately, everything gets compared to CoH.  I've tried Champions Online and the creator is fun, as long as you don't mind comic book graphics that make it harder to see a real hero, being limited to the base line of costumes if you're not going to buy the one's you want, and a human face that is just off no matter what I do to it.  I think it's the mouth and jaw.  I'm free to play there, so only have two toons.  I guess a good way to put it is they are both still below level 15.  I've designed many toons, but even with a life time membership I think you're limited to 8 toons?  Likely you can buy more I guess.  I won't be buying 50+ more though.  And I liked having that freedom of still being able to make plenty more heroes that CoH offered.  One friend there had over 100 toons.  He used the costume slots as well!  That's a lot of creating!

I'm still solo at CO.  Actually the first my first community experience there was a person who sent me a team invite out of the blue.  I was involved in an area event at the time so figured he was there somewhere too.  He never said anything to me, and I was busy with the mission so didn't have time to chat, then a few minutes later all I got was, "Fool," and he was gone.  Not the best first impressions for me, a guy who already feels stupid in most computer games of any type, even at an experienced level.  I've teamed with a few others.  It's nice because it makes me remember my good teaming experiences on CoH.  I've tried to connect with the CoH community there, but not hard enough I guess.  I do like that there's all kinds of different toons.  It's fun to watch them.  I wish the graphics were better though.  The main things for me are the graphics.  I'm kind of attached to the CoH appearance, rather than looking like a two dimensional character moving about in a comic book, which is what CO is to me.  And my lack of understanding the game mechanics and systems.  I need my patient teachers who are natural experts.  So I'm just not inspired to pay to play.  Not like I was with CoH.  CoH got me paying just on the game alone, before I knew anyone there.  You create and you play, level to four and Fly!  I wonder if that would be different if I'd not experienced CoH first?  I guess I should play it properly, since it's the genre I want and I won't be doing DCUO!

An email told me that now Tera was the game of choice, so I looked into that.  It's ok.  No wings and I can't fly and standard creators with limited avatar selection and what looks like yet another system to learn.  Really after almost a year of having my hand held in CoH I was only just starting to gain any comprehension of what to do.  Maybe in a few years I'd be really good at building and slotting a CoH toon.  A more recent email seems to show that Tera has failed the test!  Ha!  I never even found them on there!  It's ok for what it is I guess, but I won't pay for it.

Found out about Marvel Heros Beta testing somewhere and signed up for that, and the fools let me in!  At least it's Marvel Heroes and has that potential.  The story is enjoyable, and my limited experience is pleasant so far, all beta issues aside.  However, it fails for me.  I know these heroes.  Most of them aren't my preference.  I usually wound up liking the more obscure characters.  Meaning they are less likely to be made into playable characters in the future.  And I'm really glad I've not heard, "just like Diablo" for a while because it was getting really annoying and it holds absolutely no meaning for me, having never experienced Diablo, and I'm not really wanting to now.  My main issue is obvious I'm sure.  And made worse because in a video they addressed the question at a presentation at a NYC comic convention.  No creatable characters.  Their reasoning:  they showed a picture of a guy with three forks taped on one hand and three butter knives taped on the other and said because no one wants to see knife and fork Wolverine.  (Immediately part of my mind was thinking, would I make that if I could?)  Come on.  Really, what kind of stupid lame excuse is that!?!  It's the kind of lame excuse, my mind answers, that someone who wants to avoid the question would give!  I'm looking at these guys thinking they have a chance at something great here, and they're missing it completely!  Kind of like if Coke goes out of business and they start selling fruit drinks.  Their second excuse: Loosely quoted - "because seeing nine Iron Mans running around blasting bad guys is 'kind of cool!'"  Ugh!  No.  No Marvel Heroes.  No it isn't.  It's bloody confusing and bland and lame and weak and AAARRRGGGHHH!!!!  And, what they call flying is not flying.  I typed that loudly and will leave it at that (except that they seem to think it's out of this world).  Good points.  Cut scenes have voice overs for weak but passable static comic book pictures.  Heroes have voiced comments that cue on proximitiy to specific other heroes or specific situations like leveling or finding a medal or standing idle.  I really never understood how CoH could have missed out on having these basics.  No one knows, but I used to do my own voice overs for the CoH cut scenes!

Marvel Heroes is fine for the standard player that has a limited imagination and has never known or wanted more.  Then again, the majority of the populations don't like to do their own thinking do they?  I don't mind too much the awkward point of perspective, but I do mind not being able to get a first person perspective.  The game is challenging at times but at the same time manageable for a bad player like me.  Sadly, the best part of the game is it is/will be free to play.  This is good because I won't be paying to play it.  Too bad for me that I will not be spending money to get a specific character to play.  The game isn't that good.  It goes back to wasting money on frugal things.  The fact that I won't be buying a character I like will mean I'll probably not be playing it so much as I might.  I think the sole drive that will keep this game interesting to people who want to pay for it will be in putting out new playable heroes.  Though it is really nice to recognize places, characters, and things one may know from knowledge of the Marvel universes, I don't see that it has a long life expectancy.

So I'm here on Titan again.  Trying to find a spark of hope that the two projects by players-for players to make a (better than) CoX is really going to happen, and will it happen before I die?

Okay, I found this site and registered.. glad to see I'm not the only one.
I felt a little loss when the game shut down.. didn't think it would really bother me in that I wasn't playing as often these days.

But I actually got pretty sad when I parked my little Taxibot on top of Wincott's car one last time before my final logout.
Lots of fun and memories, and hard work put into those toons.   So stupid that I was feeling melancholy over some pixels.

So I shook it off, dusted off WoW.. hated it.  Went to SWTOR, made a 50 and got bored..
GW2.. fun but not the same.

Then it hit me, it wasn't ever so much the game.  It was the people and the freedom that game offered.

It's pretty sad and pathetic really.  I do have a real life.. but at the end of the day I want to sit down and relax.  CoX was how I did that.
I really miss this game, and I'm not finding another game that fills that void.   It really sucks, I want CoX back.  I really missed playing with all of you.  :'(

I'm like Starship above me here.  I could have posted with just his final two paragraphs and left it at that.  Only I express a lot.  My sense of loss is profound and I got very sad, and angry, and so on and I still deal with these reactions months later now.

I don't feel that Starship or I or anyone was stupid to feel our emotions because in our reality these characters did exist as our selves, our friends, our companions, and our heroes.

I'll never knowingly help NoCompassionSoft with any support from my wallet or opinions.  I'll actually go out of my way to denounce them if I get the chance and anyone cares to listen.  Their track record is warning enough given what is on wiki about them, and their blatant disregard for their customers solidifies my resolve in this.  I won't even look at GW2 for free to play.  I'm ok with cutting off my nose to spite my face here if that's what I'm doing.  It's challenging for me to dislike something that I want to hate instead.  I try to avoid hating.  It's a lot of effort to not write to NoCompassionSoft and tell them what I really think about them for doing this, foul language included.

I'd pay twice as much and more to be able to keep playing CoH.  My friends say they understand that I miss the game.  They watched me experience it and had to sit through me blabbing on about it.  I trust them when they say they have an idea of how important CoH has been to me.  My personal life is full of crap.  CoH quickly became my therapeutic escape.

I miss my friends.  I miss teaming.  I miss the community.  I miss mauling Sappers with vengeance.  I miss laughing every single time I jumped off the edge of the platform at Ouroboros to free fall and land in the pool!  I did that a lot!  I miss the game itself.  And yes, I miss my heroes.  I don't miss it any less than I did before.  I want it back.  Now.

I'm still waiting and watching.  I haven't forgotten.  I'll be there to beta test our new home if they'll have me for that.  Please, anyone with anything they think I should be aware of in regards to this quote me or message me some how if possible so I can know where to watch.
Almost always in my life what I have lost has been replaced by something far better.  I'm here looking for that.
Much Peach, Love, Joy and Prosperity to you all.  Please don't lose hope.  Keep looking for our new home.

We will kill you and eat you with your own spines.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #453 on: March 18, 2013, 02:06:11 PM »
WALL OF TEXT which I know means most people won't read, but I'm writing more for myself than for you, so skip it if you don't like reading.

Contrary to Nyx, I Do have an unfilled void in my life now.  I can remember many, many years ago seeing CoH advertised and thinking how cool that would be, but paying to play a game has always been against my better judgment as money is hard to come by and shouldn't be wasted on non essentials.  If I had only known then...  It wasn't until I saw in an online community mention of CoH being free to play that I dived in.  And it was that... nothing near my normal toe testing the waters and checking the deep end first (Jaws).  Within a week I was paying to play.  And I don't know how to express what a huge deal that is for me, so please do your courtesy gawking here.  Thanks, looks believable, I can see you understand what I'm saying.

Some people here mention how they feel silly crying over pixels.  Take heart that you weren't telling everyone in your real life that you could now fly when you first started playing CoH, because that's exactly what I did.  I didn't care about the looks or what people might think, because now I had to maintain my secret identity and be mild mannered, so of course they wouldn't believe me when I said I can fly now!

It was eleven months that I got to play.  I'm a solo guy, and was very cautious of other people in game due to the stories I'd heard about the WoW community.  But as luck would have it, and as we all know, the CoX community is amazing.  After the first month I had some really fun people to dork around with and that's when I met some of the experts.  And not just normal experts.  Specifically my teacher, with the toons that when new people teamed with us they would all stand there in awe as Malta and Freaks and the rest were instantly annihilated without mercy, all while the toon was looking exceptionally fabulous!  It was like an off screen cue card holder was giving the new to the team people their lines because it was always the same thing:  "Holy Sh*t!"

Oddly enough, my main teacher is the worst at communicating.  One person, understanding what I was talking about, said you have to learn the language to communicate with him.  For a long time I thought maybe he just hated me!  He didn't.  I just hadn't learned his language yet.

Despite the many people that I played with who had what I call Supertoons, he still had a unique-to-most play style.  I watched him do it for weeks without understanding it, but when he finally explained it made so much sense.  Though some of his toons just devastated mobs before anyone else could get there, the same principle was used in teaming.  What his teachers had taught him and he knew for himself was that tanks are for aggro, so the tank runs around and gathers while everyone else watches from a distance.  Then, when the tank stops moving he's out of the line of sight of the foes so even ranged guys come in and he is mobbed, the team moves in and AoE's them all in seconds, and then it's on to the next area.  Once I understood what I was seeing because it was explained to me, it was so obvious!  After that going back to the normal team experience of simultaneous multiple one on one combats of team members and foes all spread out just seemed tedious and silly and looked so messy!  I just can't get over the differences in the two play styles.  And yes, many of you know this, but so many really good players just never did this and it's really night oranges and day apples different.  This was when I finally understood why he didn't explain to new-to-team players what was going on.  His thought was people should pick it up from observation.  Mine was, like me, explain it so we're all on the same page, so I became the narrator usually.  We learned a lot from each other and I am happy to say we still email occasionally, usually about what game doesn't stand up to our expectations in our search for the next MMO.

I say it's odd that he's so bad about communicating because when I first met him, we spent several hours standing in Wentworths as he patiently explained the whole thing to me.  This is when the game finally started to make a bit of sense to me.  I still couldn't build a toon, but I knew what things were now and what my goals would be.

I grew up on Marvel Comics.  I'm lost in that world and don't want to be found.  All I wanted to do when I first saw CoH was be a hero and fly.  I had no idea how complicated MMO's were and was not at all prepared.  I was overwhelmed and a not too bright noob and this guy just wasted his time, hours of it, to help me out.  Through him I met other "Supers" and finally got one of them to map out a MIDS build for a tank I'd started playing as Dual Blades/Fire.  I know.  Many will think I should have made it on my own.  But for me, true understanding of the system came from referencing that build and branching off from the guidelines I pieced together every time some one spit out a pearl of wisdom which I would copy, paste, and save for later reference.  I never actually simulated the build that was given to me entirely, I was a bit scattered with my many toons.  But I managed to keep what I liked while doing what I would have never done but was guided to do, and wound up with a, though Fire specific, Supertoon!  My bread winner to support my bad habit of blasters and too many other toons.  My teacher helped me with my next one, a "world tank" rather than a fire specific so I could play more freely I guess.  He helped me as I leveled him up.  It was a different experience than the first one because it was easy for him to understand the builds in his head, whereas I need a map to reference over and over.  So I had pages and pages of notes!  The end result, though I still needed to get all the recipes and slot him properly, was a very fun Axe/Shield tank.  Now I could play and not get killed All the time.  My first three toons were blasters, still my favorite type, and tanking would have been my last choice.  But City of Hospitals was not as fun for me as a blaster, so they were moved to the back for a while during my education.  Later I was able to play them more properly using what I'd learned about building toons and playing the game.  And nicely enough, I found out tanking is fun too.

That site where I found out CoH was free to play; I had 100+ avatars.  Characters of my own creation, favorite characters from more obscure sci-fi books, and some other sources.  All very real in my mind.  I've not been able to go back and enjoy that site still.  It holds no appeal to me, as was the case for a while before I left.

At CoH, when I found I could have toons on each server, I started populating other servers since Victory was full.  In eleven months I had 44 active established toons, and 25 or so more waiting for power set purchases or me to just have the time to start them up.  I was really looking forward to one of my early original toons getting to be a Beast Master/Nature's Affinity mastermind!  It was the perfect set choices for his look and story.  The character creator was frustrating to me because of it's limitations.  (Yes, I know what you're thinking.  This is how I am.  Imagine what I'm going through now without CoH!) 

I spent hours making my first toon.  Many hours.  I was quite happy with him.  I changed boots and gloves after a month or so.  That was all.  He got duplicated with different power sets on other servers a couple of times with Circle Of Thorns costume pieces, but he basically only had minor changes. 

I was passing through Ouoroboros once.  One of my favorite spots.  Most of my toons are there still, as I decided it was the most appropriate place to say goodbye to them.  Anyway, I noticed a cool looking toon and complimented him on it.  The guy thanked me for the comment and then proceeded to tell me he had seen me around for a while and his toon was inspired by mine.  Wow!  That was the best compliment I've ever gotten!  Good way to make it on to my friends list! 

All of my toons were the same way in that I never had any use for costume slots because I spent hours, days, weeks, and more getting them just right for my tastes.  Once I had them done, there wasn't ever any improvement I could find to make on them.  I experienced a humble pride every time someone would stop to compliment me on one of my toons or their names, which was a semi-regular occurrence.  Several times the compliment would come after many missions with a person then out of nowhere they would say something.  Perhaps that's what people do, but for me, I don't say something to someone unless I consider it exceptional and genuinely feel what I'm saying.  Similarly, I only used SG Bases for my toons on a server.  The design was a simple four rooms all for storage and crafting, purely for function only.  It surprised me every time someone came into my base and despite all the bases out there and all the people that have made them I would still be told my approach was cool and unique and had never occurred to them.  Then I'd bake them brownies!

As it turns out, for the original characters I made that were new to me rather than already existing in my mind, the hours spent in creation provided the time and inspiration for names, origin stories, character development (duh - but you know what I mean) and so on.  In other words, the process of creating was usually accompanied by watching these people develop as real-in-my-mind people.  So on one hand I'm creating, and on the other I'm actually viewing it happening as a spectator who is removed from it.  If that makes sense.

Well, it makes sense to me, and not long ago, it occurred to me that this is the key to why CoH is missed.  I'm sure many have already figured this out, and I know what I disliked most about NoCompassionSoft taking our world away was taking my toons from me, but maybe I've rediscovered this.  Yes, I miss my friends.  In such a short time I met so many wonderful people and I wish them all well and think of them often.  Yes, I miss Ouro, and the Shard, and Talos Island.  But what I've realized is more than anything I miss my heros.  Not Stan's Spidey or Moon Knight or Superman.  MY heroes.  Mine.  I never cared that I was doing the same missions over and over so much because what was really going on was I was spending time with my heroes who are real to me in a world where our realities juxtaposed. 

To me, This is why I miss CoH.  To me, this is what the secret of CoH's appeal is and what motivated the community to such (in my limited knowledge) great efforts and response to our loss.  This is what I will have to have from any game I choose to pay for in the future.  And since most games don't have that, well, I'm back to not spending money on some computer game.

It was worth it though.  The escape from daily life and all the crap that I've got going on.  The perfect way to wind down and relax and not worry.  I can't tell you how therapeutic soloing the Fire Cave in AE was for me.  A nice thrill to have the patrols flood around me and my hero.  Would we survive!?!  It was a thrill every time.  And that was a good way to give back to my friends who helped me make my Supertoon, by pl'ing their new toons left at the door while they went to sleep for the night, and of course it was fun if they wanted to join in too. 

So how am I handling the loss?  The way I handle most of the reality based things that make me sad.  Escapism.  I've caught up on my movies and videos.  Currently working my way through seven seasons of Mystery Science 3000, along with other stuff.  I've finished a couple of Nintendo games I have here.  Most of my time recently has been me populating a galaxy in my offline version of Spore.  Not too many complaints about that character creator!  Heaven would be combining CoH and Spore qualities into the same creator!  Oh to dream. But Spore is entertaining though a bit monotonous.  And I do a bit of writing!  See!  Another reason you wish CoH was still around, because I'd be there instead of writing all of this!

Online?  Unfortunately, everything gets compared to CoH.  I've tried Champions Online and the creator is fun, as long as you don't mind comic book graphics that make it harder to see a real hero, being limited to the base line of costumes if you're not going to buy the one's you want, and a human face that is just off no matter what I do to it.  I think it's the mouth and jaw.  I'm free to play there, so only have two toons.  I guess a good way to put it is they are both still below level 15.  I've designed many toons, but even with a life time membership I think you're limited to 8 toons?  Likely you can buy more I guess.  I won't be buying 50+ more though.  And I liked having that freedom of still being able to make plenty more heroes that CoH offered.  One friend there had over 100 toons.  He used the costume slots as well!  That's a lot of creating!

I'm still solo at CO.  Actually the first my first community experience there was a person who sent me a team invite out of the blue.  I was involved in an area event at the time so figured he was there somewhere too.  He never said anything to me, and I was busy with the mission so didn't have time to chat, then a few minutes later all I got was, "Fool," and he was gone.  Not the best first impressions for me, a guy who already feels stupid in most computer games of any type, even at an experienced level.  I've teamed with a few others.  It's nice because it makes me remember my good teaming experiences on CoH.  I've tried to connect with the CoH community there, but not hard enough I guess.  I do like that there's all kinds of different toons.  It's fun to watch them.  I wish the graphics were better though.  The main things for me are the graphics.  I'm kind of attached to the CoH appearance, rather than looking like a two dimensional character moving about in a comic book, which is what CO is to me.  And my lack of understanding the game mechanics and systems.  I need my patient teachers who are natural experts.  So I'm just not inspired to pay to play.  Not like I was with CoH.  CoH got me paying just on the game alone, before I knew anyone there.  You create and you play, level to four and Fly!  I wonder if that would be different if I'd not experienced CoH first?  I guess I should play it properly, since it's the genre I want and I won't be doing DCUO!

An email told me that now Tera was the game of choice, so I looked into that.  It's ok.  No wings and I can't fly and standard creators with limited avatar selection and what looks like yet another system to learn.  Really after almost a year of having my hand held in CoH I was only just starting to gain any comprehension of what to do.  Maybe in a few years I'd be really good at building and slotting a CoH toon.  A more recent email seems to show that Tera has failed the test!  Ha!  I never even found them on there!  It's ok for what it is I guess, but I won't pay for it.

Found out about Marvel Heros Beta testing somewhere and signed up for that, and the fools let me in!  At least it's Marvel Heroes and has that potential.  The story is enjoyable, and my limited experience is pleasant so far, all beta issues aside.  However, it fails for me.  I know these heroes.  Most of them aren't my preference.  I usually wound up liking the more obscure characters.  Meaning they are less likely to be made into playable characters in the future.  And I'm really glad I've not heard, "just like Diablo" for a while because it was getting really annoying and it holds absolutely no meaning for me, having never experienced Diablo, and I'm not really wanting to now.  My main issue is obvious I'm sure.  And made worse because in a video they addressed the question at a presentation at a NYC comic convention.  No creatable characters.  Their reasoning:  they showed a picture of a guy with three forks taped on one hand and three butter knives taped on the other and said because no one wants to see knife and fork Wolverine.  (Immediately part of my mind was thinking, would I make that if I could?)  Come on.  Really, what kind of stupid lame excuse is that!?!  It's the kind of lame excuse, my mind answers, that someone who wants to avoid the question would give!  I'm looking at these guys thinking they have a chance at something great here, and they're missing it completely!  Kind of like if Coke goes out of business and they start selling fruit drinks.  Their second excuse: Loosely quoted - "because seeing nine Iron Mans running around blasting bad guys is 'kind of cool!'"  Ugh!  No.  No Marvel Heroes.  No it isn't.  It's bloody confusing and bland and lame and weak and AAARRRGGGHHH!!!!  And, what they call flying is not flying.  I typed that loudly and will leave it at that (except that they seem to think it's out of this world).  Good points.  Cut scenes have voice overs for weak but passable static comic book pictures.  Heroes have voiced comments that cue on proximitiy to specific other heroes or specific situations like leveling or finding a medal or standing idle.  I really never understood how CoH could have missed out on having these basics.  No one knows, but I used to do my own voice overs for the CoH cut scenes!

Marvel Heroes is fine for the standard player that has a limited imagination and has never known or wanted more.  Then again, the majority of the populations don't like to do their own thinking do they?  I don't mind too much the awkward point of perspective, but I do mind not being able to get a first person perspective.  The game is challenging at times but at the same time manageable for a bad player like me.  Sadly, the best part of the game is it is/will be free to play.  This is good because I won't be paying to play it.  Too bad for me that I will not be spending money to get a specific character to play.  The game isn't that good.  It goes back to wasting money on frugal things.  The fact that I won't be buying a character I like will mean I'll probably not be playing it so much as I might.  I think the sole drive that will keep this game interesting to people who want to pay for it will be in putting out new playable heroes.  Though it is really nice to recognize places, characters, and things one may know from knowledge of the Marvel universes, I don't see that it has a long life expectancy.

So I'm here on Titan again.  Trying to find a spark of hope that the two projects by players-for players to make a (better than) CoX is really going to happen, and will it happen before I die?

I'm like Starship above me here.  I could have posted with just his final two paragraphs and left it at that.  Only I express a lot.  My sense of loss is profound and I got very sad, and angry, and so on and I still deal with these reactions months later now.

I don't feel that Starship or I or anyone was stupid to feel our emotions because in our reality these characters did exist as our selves, our friends, our companions, and our heroes.

I'll never knowingly help NoCompassionSoft with any support from my wallet or opinions.  I'll actually go out of my way to denounce them if I get the chance and anyone cares to listen.  Their track record is warning enough given what is on wiki about them, and their blatant disregard for their customers solidifies my resolve in this.  I won't even look at GW2 for free to play.  I'm ok with cutting off my nose to spite my face here if that's what I'm doing.  It's challenging for me to dislike something that I want to hate instead.  I try to avoid hating.  It's a lot of effort to not write to NoCompassionSoft and tell them what I really think about them for doing this, foul language included.

I'd pay twice as much and more to be able to keep playing CoH.  My friends say they understand that I miss the game.  They watched me experience it and had to sit through me blabbing on about it.  I trust them when they say they have an idea of how important CoH has been to me.  My personal life is full of crap.  CoH quickly became my therapeutic escape.

I miss my friends.  I miss teaming.  I miss the community.  I miss mauling Sappers with vengeance.  I miss laughing every single time I jumped off the edge of the platform at Ouroboros to free fall and land in the pool!  I did that a lot!  I miss the game itself.  And yes, I miss my heroes.  I don't miss it any less than I did before.  I want it back.  Now.

I'm still waiting and watching.  I haven't forgotten.  I'll be there to beta test our new home if they'll have me for that.  Please, anyone with anything they think I should be aware of in regards to this quote me or message me some how if possible so I can know where to watch.

This is good stuff.

I actually read it all. Long text dont bother me. Hell, I have to read stuff ten times as long in an hour for class so this is really short to me. To some, anything over three or four lines thye get bored. I guess not everyone like reading but I like that opening line where off the top it is known it is long but ya writing it for more yourself than for everyone else. Kind of kills the moans and groans from people saying "It's too long for me." "It was too many words for me. "It took too long to read for me." "you're supposed to keep the reader in mind, which is me." and such.

Glad you had good time and good people you came across in COX. Not sure what was up with that "fool" guy in CO. Sounds liek a pogue having a bad day or something, but I noticed something over there in CO even with ex-COX players. Not much team chatter going on, but lot of complaints about lack of team chatter. ??? I dont get it. I tried talking on teams, usually end up with one word answers if any at all. Keep in mind this is just normal team. One guy was complaining in team chat for at least the past 15 minutes about how no one talks in CO and no one is friendly and how in COX, people always talked to each other and such. So we in COX channel got on a mission team, something I rarely do in the first place, and just decided to do mission with social stuff in mind. No rush. This guy was more than clammed up than a glues up oyster. Between me and a couple of the other guys, we tried every angle to start a convo with this guy but ironically he wasnt interested it seemed. Reason why people dont talk much on teams is because people dont talk on teams. Just as easy as it's form a team, sometimes somethign as simple as "what's up" Or "LEEEEEEEEEEERRRROY Jenkins" can get some semblence of conversation started. If it's quiet on a team, it's easy to say anything. Smash alerts, understandable, 2 minutes, not much time for talking but not much excuse for other times especially when a few other team mates are being social. Or that guy just needed something to vent about and that was an easy subject to vent about that he figured no one was going to test out.

That is the main thing I liked about COX and like about CO. Customization. Although I heard Marvel is a cool game, I'm not comic book fan. I'm a creative fan. Meaning, I dont care to play Spiderman, or Wolverine along with the tons of spiderman and wolverines with a Hulk thrown in there every now and then. I like playing Heat Linger, Ace McGrain the street fighter, Dozen Minds, Toasty, and etc.

With  CO, I got one or two slots each level 40. The first 40 I got two new slots each one after that was one extra slot. I heard there is no limit but unlike COX where the slots are there already, just about, you unlock them beyond the first 8 by getting 40s. Which can be good or bad depending on the purpose. A serial alter will run out of slots quick while a person who makes a toon level them to 40 and then start a new one will never feel lack of space.

Overall you would think gamers would be more humbler towards new players as one point in time they all were bumbling newbies that didnt know their sword from their armor, that is unless they were born with the entire game of WoW, COX, CO, DCUO, and etc implanted in their brain from birth, then they had to learn it either on their own or from someone else.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #454 on: March 18, 2013, 02:28:03 PM »
It's been rough for me, particularly when I think about what the chars I ported over to CO could do in CoX, and it's so much more.  I cannot make teams near godlike like I could in CO, I cannot take on huge numbers of guys solo in CO(the game just won't allow me to up the mob count, so I end up just killing more mobs at a time, and even then most rooms don't have very many enemies).  I also find the pet peves getting me more in CO(looking for a healer the primary one) than in CoX, because I know how weak crowd control and buffs are.  I also miss the variety of content, CO gets hardly any, and the devs don't seem to be focused enough on that problem.  Instead Cryptic seems more interested in just putting out a new game that will likely over-extend them when it comes to making content.  The latest QA was also very poorly done, the devs had a lot of "We don't want to do this" written in their answers.  Especially with regards to the foundary, which is what most CoX crossover players want, big time.  This unwillingness to do so hurts everyones confidence, and can you blame them?  Neverwinter online and Startrek online use the exact same game engine, it's inexcusable.  I really do want to see CoX back but I worry that won't happen at the rate we are going.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Botzo

• Minion
« Reply #455 on: March 18, 2013, 05:07:30 PM »
This is good stuff.

I actually read it all. Long text dont bother me. Hell, I have to read stuff ten times as long in an hour for class so this is really short to me. To some, anything over three or four lines thye get bored. I guess not everyone like reading but I like that opening line where off the top it is known it is long but ya writing it for more yourself than for everyone else. Kind of kills the moans and groans from people saying "It's too long for me." "It was too many words for me. "It took too long to read for me." "you're supposed to keep the reader in mind, which is me." and such.

Glad you had good time and good people you came across in COX. Not sure what was up with that "fool" guy in CO. Sounds liek a pogue having a bad day or something, but I noticed something over there in CO even with ex-COX players. Not much team chatter going on, but lot of complaints about lack of team chatter. ??? I dont get it. I tried talking on teams, usually end up with one word answers if any at all. Keep in mind this is just normal team. One guy was complaining in team chat for at least the past 15 minutes about how no one talks in CO and no one is friendly and how in COX, people always talked to each other and such. So we in COX channel got on a mission team, something I rarely do in the first place, and just decided to do mission with social stuff in mind. No rush. This guy was more than clammed up than a glues up oyster. Between me and a couple of the other guys, we tried every angle to start a convo with this guy but ironically he wasnt interested it seemed. Reason why people dont talk much on teams is because people dont talk on teams. Just as easy as it's form a team, sometimes somethign as simple as "what's up" Or "LEEEEEEEEEEERRRROY Jenkins" can get some semblence of conversation started. If it's quiet on a team, it's easy to say anything. Smash alerts, understandable, 2 minutes, not much time for talking but not much excuse for other times especially when a few other team mates are being social. Or that guy just needed something to vent about and that was an easy subject to vent about that he figured no one was going to test out.

That is the main thing I liked about COX and like about CO. Customization. Although I heard Marvel is a cool game, I'm not comic book fan. I'm a creative fan. Meaning, I dont care to play Spiderman, or Wolverine along with the tons of spiderman and wolverines with a Hulk thrown in there every now and then. I like playing Heat Linger, Ace McGrain the street fighter, Dozen Minds, Toasty, and etc.

With  CO, I got one or two slots each level 40. The first 40 I got two new slots each one after that was one extra slot. I heard there is no limit but unlike COX where the slots are there already, just about, you unlock them beyond the first 8 by getting 40s. Which can be good or bad depending on the purpose. A serial alter will run out of slots quick while a person who makes a toon level them to 40 and then start a new one will never feel lack of space.

Overall you would think gamers would be more humbler towards new players as one point in time they all were bumbling newbies that didnt know their sword from their armor, that is unless they were born with the entire game of WoW, COX, CO, DCUO, and etc implanted in their brain from birth, then they had to learn it either on their own or from someone else.

This. This so much. I'm normally the silent type, but there just was something about City and the people within that I loved. It felt like it was a legitimate massively multiplayer game. You wouldn't necessarily play only to get "the" best gear. There would be times where you would join a taskforce just to socialize with others, even if your character didn't need to. There really wasn't really any activities that required you to have the best enhancements beyond a select few, like a no death Statesman TF run. On top of it all, you could talk about anything. And someone would talk back to you. Want to complain about work? Go ahead. Want to roleplay? Go ahead. Rarely anyone would criticize you, and more likely that person would try to help first than complain about you. Granted I'm like the person that complains all the time about unfriendly people in CO, but I admit it's more the fact I need to open up more and take an initiative. When no one wants to lead, someone has to stand up, or everyone will just stay in their own caves.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #456 on: March 20, 2013, 12:09:04 AM »
, but I admit it's more the fact I need to open up more and take an initiative. When no one wants to lead, someone has to stand up, or everyone will just stay in their own caves.

Oh yeah. it's like a dance. Everyone stand along the wall staring at each other until some brave soul gets on the dance floor. Then within ten minutes everyone is on the dance floor. Someone has to start it or everyone will stand on the side wondering who will go first.

LadyVamp

• Elite Boss
« Reply #457 on: March 20, 2013, 12:51:54 AM »
There is a vacancy in my heart thanks to the shutting down of City of Heroes/City of Villains.  Most of you if you played on Freedom knew me as one of the mice of Rodent Consortium.  Leader of green team against hami in hami raids.  Though sometimes on Lady Vamp (or Lady-Vamp as the LV was taken on Freedom), I wore the black body armor with the red inserts.

A day doesn't go by that I don't think of coh.  I've tried the other hero games, but they can never take the place of coh.  I played since issue 2.  Never taking a break.  And never converting to F2P.  It became part of my life and you friends.  I watched this grow from nothing into a powerhouse.  I was there from the beginning.

How am I handling the loss?  I want my city back, NCSoft.  I want my friends back.  Your MMO started as a game taking a new direction.  It became a place where people with common interests could come hang out.  Share ideas.  Enjoy the good times.  Cry over the bad times.  Imagine coming home from work one day to find your home gone.  Your friends, gone.  Where there used to be great joy, now there is nothing.

And speaking of new direction, where virtually all other MMOs were locked in a genera, coh could go anywhere.  Why not create other zones.  I would have loved to go back in time and fight the nazis Germany (I don't mean the 5th column or the council we had).  Go to the wild west of the Americas.  Play in the untamed outback of Australia.  Fought along side samurai in feudal Japan.  All of those were possible and even believable in coh.

Much thought has gone into this not by just me but everyone.  Much debate I've read on numerous sites.  I've even thought of pulling together all of you who are serious about rebuilding this.  Form our own company owned by the players.  Rehire, if possible, the core developers of coh.  We could run it as a cooperative.  Elect a board of directors out of the player/owners.  It was just a thought but I feel if we are to revive our city, we will have to do it alone without Disney or Google or any of the number of companies talked to.

I realize I digress.  You asked how am I handling the loss.  I'm not happy about it though I do look at the part of my personal, private wiki dedicated to my toons, my sg and the base it owned.

If enough are willing to consider making our own company and if enough of the devs would be willing to get on board, we just might have a chance to rebuild and be heroes (and villains) again.
No Surrender!

TerminalVelocity

• Minion
« Reply #458 on: March 20, 2013, 01:10:22 AM »
I'm still thinking of new toons, almost everyday, and of course that just makes me sad. (It hit particularly hard when I finally figured out how to pull of one concept I'd had for years with the costume peices that were about to be released.)

I myself would say I'm doing well overall, though. I've completely clawed myself out of the depression that the closing or CoX caused.(Or perhaps just worsened.)
@Bullet Barrage
I left the forums with 1,337 post.

Risha

• Boss
  • Dancing at the end of the World
« Reply #459 on: March 23, 2013, 03:18:32 AM »
As I've said in a couple of posts tonight, it's Friday night and snowing and I want to PLAY City of Heroes.  I've watched videos to keep my memory sharp of the city.  I downloaded and logged on to Neverwinter and left...I've played thousands of hours with arrow keys and having to learn the WASD whatever doesn't do it for me.  I miss my city, either solo or teaming.  Robin
Writer of Fantasy and Fantasy Romance