Author Topic: How are you handling the loss?  (Read 188415 times)

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
Re: How are you handling the loss?
« Reply #420 on: February 24, 2013, 11:46:25 PM »
Today when I woke up on Sunday it is usually the worst.  The last couple years between school and work Sunday was the only day I had off.  I would wake up late and play CoH all day.  Starting with the virtue Red Side Hami raid.  Every Sunday is a bit of a sting when I wake up now, can't spend all day on CoH anymore:(

Brightfires

• Elite Boss
  • ... is *NOT* Groot
« Reply #421 on: February 25, 2013, 06:51:51 AM »
On Liberty, Sunday was our MSR and iTrial day... I really miss MSRs and Underground runs.
Taker of screenshots. Player of bird-things.

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #422 on: February 25, 2013, 02:18:55 PM »
I felt this way when I heard we were losing our game...I still feel the loss.

One of the most heart-breaking lines in one of the most heart-breaking scenes in the series.

Adelante

• Boss
« Reply #423 on: February 25, 2013, 05:15:46 PM »
The other day a friend asked me what I wanted to play... and it hit me all over again.  I miss City of Heroes so much, it has been such an epic game and it's hard to believe it's gone.

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #424 on: February 25, 2013, 08:35:18 PM »
The other day a friend asked me what I wanted to play... and it hit me all over again.  I miss City of Heroes so much, it has been such an epic game and it's hard to believe it's gone.
Did you tell your friend that you wanted to play City of Heroes?
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

antarcticaa

• Lieutenant
« Reply #425 on: February 26, 2013, 12:18:02 AM »
I felt this way when I heard we were losing our game...I still feel the loss.

As heartbreaking as that scene was (and it still reverberates in my heart), at least the Doctor can regenerate.  Here's hoping our beloved City will regenerate soon- as a purchased corporate package, a private server or a new game of CoH2. 

I feel so geeky replying to this as I sit wearing my "The Angels Have the Phone Box" sweatshirt.  Alonz-y!

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #426 on: February 26, 2013, 01:45:41 AM »

For the most part, I think I'm doing fairly okay.

There are some people I lost contact with ... and people I rarely talk to now because of COH being gone.

I have enjoyed DC Online a lot-- the "Shout Chatter" reminds me of some of the conversations  I had in COH-- but two things struck me over the last couple of days.

1) Metropolis (and Gotham) don't feel like home to me (at least not yet). In COH I pretty much knew where everything was and  I rarely had to consult my online map to find it.

2) I miss having separate costume slots. I miss having three or four trays of available powers ....

Quanta

• Underling
« Reply #427 on: February 28, 2013, 04:11:56 AM »
Not super.  Not super at all  :(  Life and work are being really, really stressful and I really, really want CoH back nowwwww!!!

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #428 on: February 28, 2013, 09:12:02 PM »
I wish I didn't miss it so much....but I do. Nothing has been able to fill the special hole it left.

Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

Brightfires

• Elite Boss
  • ... is *NOT* Groot
« Reply #429 on: March 01, 2013, 08:40:16 PM »
I'm going to run out of screen shots to sort through soon... I just have Night Ward, the Shard Zones, Dark Astoria and some mission maps left.
'Not sure what I'm going to do after than.  :gonk:
Taker of screenshots. Player of bird-things.

LadyImmolatasia

• Minion
« Reply #430 on: March 01, 2013, 09:15:31 PM »
Ah, I'm not doing too good. :/ Kinda hit me all over again, listening to the Nova Praetoria theme, looking up the interview with Matt Miller, thinking about the opportunities I missed to read awesome stories and try to create my own.

I miss the game. Terribly. I hope we can bring it back someday, or something like it again.

Risha

• Boss
  • Dancing at the end of the World
« Reply #431 on: March 02, 2013, 05:11:08 AM »
Still bad.
Writer of Fantasy and Fantasy Romance

Quanta

• Underling
« Reply #432 on: March 02, 2013, 09:55:13 PM »
I'm still super optimistic that we will get our game back but the reality that it very well may be another year before I can logon to CoH has really been sinking in  :-\  It super sucks but I'll wait and keep checking the forums every day.  I'm in it for the long haul.

Kemphler

• Minion
« Reply #433 on: March 03, 2013, 09:04:57 AM »
As optimistic that I am that we'll get the game back eventually...I think that our best bet will lay with the Plan Zs that are being worked on. But either way...I am seriously missing CoH. After playing it for 8+ years...hell, I grew up with it, having had started playing it when I was 12. And the shut down announcement having come just a few days after my birthday was a rather unfriendly birthday present...
"I intend to live forever, or die trying." - Groucho Marx

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #434 on: March 03, 2013, 08:31:32 PM »
I still keep making characters in my head.  I was watching a stupid Pepsiman video linked by Cracked, and found myself trying to decide what powersets he'd have.  I don't think I'll ever be able to completely let it go until and unless CoH comes back (or until there's a real replacement).

detour

• Underling
  • Baja Mercury: Accelerator
« Reply #435 on: March 04, 2013, 11:42:15 PM »
I've been thinking about how I want to word this, and I think the best word I can come up with is 'longing'.  I long for this game.  I didn't always, when it was around, but it was around when I did want to play and catch up with people.  Now that I CAN'T have it, I just yearn for it sometimes.  There's nothing else like it.  Champions Online is like watching The Avengers:  City of Heroes was like BEING The Avengers.
Baja Mercury:  Accelerator.

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #436 on: March 05, 2013, 04:48:07 AM »
Here is an interesting article about the strong attachments people can form for nonhuman objects:

http://www.theglobalmail.org/feature/thats-not-a-droid-thats-my-girlfriend/560/

This certainly rings true for me, since I feel about losing my characters much as I would feel about losing my RL best friend.  I feel naked without them. Something that I cherished is gone from my life.

ps I want Geminoid F  8)

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #437 on: March 05, 2013, 05:07:03 AM »
Here is an interesting article about the strong attachments people can form for nonhuman objects:

http://www.theglobalmail.org/feature/thats-not-a-droid-thats-my-girlfriend/560/

This certainly rings true for me, since I feel about losing my characters much as I would feel about losing my RL best friend.  I feel naked without them. Something that I cherished is gone from my life.

ps I want Geminoid F  8)

Interesting. Very Interesting.

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #438 on: March 05, 2013, 07:15:42 AM »

In a way, those characters you created are facets of you. Somewhere in your psyche lurks those personalities that you created. Which, is why I say that I have way too many voices in my head. Not only do I have dozens of Heroes that I had created in CoH/V/P, I have dozens of characters that I've created for other RPGs both PnP and MMO. I would say that I have, literally, hundreds of characters floating somewhere in my head. NCSoft took away the platform in which I could interact with a good portion of those characters. So, it's like they locked away a part of me. That, is probably what a lot of people are feeling now days. And, that's why a lot of people are a little irritated with NCSoft. (understatement of the century  :o )
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

JWBullfrog

• Elite Boss
  • I didn't leave Paragon City. They threw me out!
« Reply #439 on: March 05, 2013, 02:59:25 PM »
In a way, those characters you created are facets of you. Somewhere in your psyche lurks those personalities that you created. Which, is why I say that I have way too many voices in my head. Not only do I have dozens of Heroes that I had created in CoH/V/P, I have dozens of characters that I've created for other RPGs both PnP and MMO. I would say that I have, literally, hundreds of characters floating somewhere in my head. NCSoft took away the platform in which I could interact with a good portion of those characters...

Very similar idea for me. Fortunately, my head has enough empty space inside of it for my characters to roam freely for a while until we get this whole thing sorted out. I have been able to translate some of them into to other games (for example: one has become a highly successful starfleet admiral and another is joyfully slaughtering the creatures of darkness for the Templars) and some of them still feature in my own writings, but they don't quite fit there and no matter how well it seems to be going, they are not quite home.
Will we get our city back? I believe we will but I've already accepted the idea that we may not. In any case I owe those characters, those 'facets of psyche' a chance to get out of my head.

It gets noisy in there, and I don't want to think about what's happening to the rugs.
As long as somebody keeps making up stories for it, the City isn't gone.