Author Topic: How are you handling the loss?  (Read 188659 times)

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
Re: How are you handling the loss?
« Reply #400 on: February 19, 2013, 06:42:30 PM »
I know it is going to take some time. I am planning to use the same basic powers of CoH and cartoonize the foes a bit similar to how these look:

http://www.3drt.com/3dm/characters/toonpets-skeletons/toonpets-skeletons-shots.htm

I know this is going to take a while - I want to actually make a fun playable kids game that can sell for a very cheap price - $1.99 a month and then have an Item store where they can buy stuff instantly - OR and this is the BIG difference - click on a link that will assign a mission arc to you that will allow you to EARN the item.

I want the kids to play, to learn and also learn basic morality. Do unto others, the power of teamwork, the power of learning independance and standing on your own 2 feet, simple things like getting an allowance in game and the value of saving (the more you save the better interest it will pay).

I want to build a game unlike anything ever seen based on what my grand-daughter liked about CoH and the other games she plays. I am taking all the Unity tutorials to get a crash course in how to do this but honestly - this may take years. I am happy with that and if I can get it to a stage where I have a playable demo - I can try and get Valve or Disney to pick it up.

Sugoi

• Boss
« Reply #401 on: February 19, 2013, 07:28:51 PM »
I have not given up - I have contacted 2 groups of developers here in Michigan but have not heard back yet and in fact I doubted that they would reply but it won't stop me from trying.

I have a few more I will talk to and I have decided to also start building my own kid friendly game based on CoH loosely. I want the same gameplay but with different ways to earn experience. I want to be able to have experience earned by badging! Yes, I want kids to earn XP by exploring the world!

I want to also add in some math and science along with history all bundled into a game written so a 10-12 year old can learn as they play without being aware of it.

City of Sidekicks?   :D

It sounds like an admirable goal and I wish you well on your effort!  I won't tell a good (ex-CoX player) RL friend that you're planning on giving out XP for Badge Hunting... He'd have Honey Badger on the pursuit again!

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #402 on: February 19, 2013, 08:05:47 PM »
I'm envisioning a sort of cross between Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego and National Treasure, where you roam around the world chasing down villains to retrieve the artifacts they stole and stop their dastardly plots. You'd use math to solve puzzles in ancient temples, science to shut down their evil genius inventions, and you'd track them down by researching history, geography, and local plants and animals to figure out the clues they left behind.

Oooh, now I wanna play it :P

Can you imagine a puzzle where you have to mix Mentos and Diet Coke to make a fountain shoot into the air and put out a fire? All those simple science tricks to make it fun :)

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
« Reply #403 on: February 21, 2013, 04:17:27 PM »
Ha, I love it! :D

Why I'm only from the grandest, most beautiful island around, lad: Newfoundland. It's a dirty big rock sitting off the East coast of Canada. Oddly enough we call it "The Rock". :P And if you believe our local TV station's callsign, we're also "The Tip of Atlantis". (I'm... skeptical on that one myself, but you never know!)

Newfoundland sounds beautiful - and only on youtube did i find comments talking about newfie culture - i guess it's like folk music; just find all that stuff so charming.  Well, i don't know about Altantis but hey it's possible; in any event living that close to/on the Atlantic Ocean must feel amazing!   I just imagine the cool sea breezes and how the ocean air must smell and taste.  I bet it's fun watching flocks of sea gulls take flight in the sky perhaps while walking a rocky beach.  BTW, glad you got a chuckle also out of Kate's saying.   :)
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

Sugoi

• Boss
« Reply #404 on: February 21, 2013, 07:18:58 PM »
Well, i don't know about Altantis but hey it's possible; in any event living that close to/on the Atlantic Ocean must feel amazing!

Hmm, misread that at first... saw it as "Altlantis", which would have been a nice name if CoX had ever added an undersea area...  ;D

I'm just waiting patiently to get my 440+ alts back to fighting crime (or being part of the problem)... and if I have to start from scratch?
Been there, done that... done that... done that... (is there an echo in here?)

hurple

• Elite Boss
« Reply #405 on: February 21, 2013, 07:44:34 PM »
I seems like I am missing this game more and more every day.  I've tried CO and DCUO and they're just not the same.  DC might be playable, if I could figure out how to map my keyboard so I could move without having to use the frakking mouse.  I hate having to use both hands to move and turn... And CO just seems... wrong.  It's like the arcade version of CoH, and I HATE how you upgrade characters by upgrading their attributes (Strength, Charisma, etc) instead of just improving the powers (like in CoH) which just seems more "correct" in a superhero role-playing game...

In fact, I've regressed all the way to playing Sims 3.  Ugh, how the mighty have fallen.  LOL!

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #406 on: February 21, 2013, 10:59:29 PM »
Newfoundland sounds beautiful - and only on youtube did i find comments talking about newfie culture - i guess it's like folk music; just find all that stuff so charming.  Well, i don't know about Altantis but hey it's possible; in any event living that close to/on the Atlantic Ocean must feel amazing!   I just imagine the cool sea breezes and how the ocean air must smell and taste.  I bet it's fun watching flocks of sea gulls take flight in the sky perhaps while walking a rocky beach.  BTW, glad you got a chuckle also out of Kate's saying.   :)

Folk music is exactly what you'd call it. With a bunch of Celtic influence thrown in there, and a crazy amount of jigging. Like, accordion and fiddle, stomp-the-floor type stuff. "Jigs and reels" aren't my favorite, but it's got its charms. And yeah, close to the ocean is definitely a beautiful place to live. My neck of the woods is more inland so I don't get it every day, but I've spent plenty of time on the coast. The smell of salt on the air, waves lapping outside your window while you're trying to sleep... and in some places, a twenty minute boat ride to go see an iceberg or a pod of whales. Oh yeah, that's good stuff :)

Hmm, misread that at first... saw it as "Altlantis", which would have been a nice name if CoX had ever added an undersea area...  ;D

"Altlantis"... that's awesome :D

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #407 on: February 22, 2013, 12:02:49 AM »
Ha, I love it! :D

Why I'm only from the grandest, most beautiful island around, lad: Newfoundland. It's a dirty big rock sitting off the East coast of Canada. Oddly enough we call it "The Rock". :P And if you believe our local TV station's callsign, we're also "The Tip of Atlantis". (I'm... skeptical on that one myself, but you never know!)

My wife is a Newfie, so I got to spend a lot of time there.  :)

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #408 on: February 22, 2013, 01:43:40 AM »

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #409 on: February 22, 2013, 10:26:01 AM »
What's black and blue and swims in the ocean?

A mainlander that makes Newfie jokes.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Mentalshock

• Boss
« Reply #410 on: February 22, 2013, 03:28:49 PM »
What's black and blue and swims in the ocean?

A mainlander that makes Newfie jokes.

Actually, the Newfies export the jokes to the mainland.   It's when they invite you on a fishing trip that you should be worried....

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #411 on: February 22, 2013, 05:07:38 PM »
Actually, the Newfies export the jokes to the mainland.   It's when they invite you on a fishing trip that you should be worried....

Nono. You should worry when we tell you you're getting "Screeched In". We get you blitzed on a paint thinner special whiskey we call "screech" and make you kiss a raw fish.

And that's what we do when we like you. 8)

srmalloy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #412 on: February 22, 2013, 06:32:09 PM »
Nono. You should worry when we tell you you're getting "Screeched In". We get you blitzed on a paint thinner special whiskey we call "screech" and make you kiss a raw fish.

I believe the proper response to that last should be "Wouldn't bother me; you obviously have never met my [wife/husband]."   ;D

Randomvector

• Lieutenant
« Reply #413 on: February 23, 2013, 04:36:38 PM »
Having regular dreams that CoX has been picked up and being rereleased. Waking up those days sucks.

Perfidus

• Elite Boss
  • "I, ah.. understand."
    • My arts.
« Reply #414 on: February 24, 2013, 05:46:14 AM »
Same.

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #415 on: February 24, 2013, 05:24:28 PM »
I felt this way when I heard we were losing our game...I still feel the loss.

Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

Achilles6

• Minion
« Reply #416 on: February 24, 2013, 09:14:25 PM »
So...this is where we all ended up for our therapy sessions.  ;)

My name is Achilles6, and I haven't played CoX in 3 months now.  :gonk:

Sugoi

• Boss
« Reply #417 on: February 24, 2013, 09:23:10 PM »
Hi, Achillies6!

(Long time member of Altaholics Anonymous... I know the drill)  ;D

Brightfires

• Elite Boss
  • ... is *NOT* Groot
« Reply #418 on: February 24, 2013, 10:23:33 PM »
I'm just using what might once have been "City-playing" time to go through my screenshot collection, resize my favorites and post them for the Ouphers. I'm considering starting a thread to repost them here, too.

It's not the same as logging in on Kestrel or Shade and flying around to look at a zone, but it's something...
Taker of screenshots. Player of bird-things.

Deathmint

• Underling
« Reply #419 on: February 24, 2013, 11:39:40 PM »
Spending my time other ways, missing the game still. Had a thought to put in a specific picture for my forum ID, but realized I didn't get a screenshot I thought I did. Finding out now really sucks, since I can't just go back in the game and grab it...