Author Topic: How are you handling the loss?  (Read 187376 times)

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
Re: How are you handling the loss?
« Reply #380 on: February 18, 2013, 06:19:51 AM »
Hello everyone, I'm Scott.  I'm new here to the Titan Forums; though I've played City of Heroes since the later part of the Beta Testing in February 2004, and I was there until the end.  Alot of people knew me as IceCicle, Aeon, Icarian, along with other alts.  As for what I've been doing since the end of CoH (other than play CO & STO) is work on a project that I've discussed with some as a way to keep our characters alive (outside CoH Cannon).  And very soon, hopefully in the coming week, I will be ready to unveil what it is.  I hope it is something that many of you will not only enjoy, but may want to participate in. 

I'm sorry I haven't visited here sooner.  I have alot of catching up to do as far as the Community here goes.  But in doing so, I hope I can offer something that will be enjoyed by many.

Take care everyone.  See you soon!
Welcome, Scott.   Very much looking forward to the project you'll be unveiling here on Titan.   Consider yourself caught up, and just dive in.   ;)
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
« Reply #381 on: February 18, 2013, 07:02:03 AM »
Johnrobey is a class act. He offered me kind words when I need them. I regret never getting to play with him when our game was active.
ahh, Perfidus, no worries!  We get to play right here on Titan Network forums:  http://www.tubegle.com/great-big-sea-most-recent-folk-rock-videos/  Sea of No Cares by the Great Big Sea.  This isn't the version I used to have on cassette audio tape that Winona made for me sometime during the mid-1990s.

*0VERSHARING ALERT*
I met and became friends with Winona during my first played (and of course best) Vampire: The Masquerade LARP.  (Okay, it had taken traditional Heroic Fantasy LARP friends only 3 years to get me to try this 'cause dark fantasy and Horror genre isn't usually my cup of tea at all.)  As we players discovered during our first gaming session, after having spent 1 month preparing our character backgrounds and working with the game staff/GM's to have our lowbie characters approved.  On GAME IN we learned it was Gehenna! (Vampire Ragnarok!)  Doom! DOOM!  We spent 13 lovely months averting Gehenna, at the end of which the Camarilla Inner Council sent a Justicar who said thanks, oh and by the way this never happened and if you say it did we will call you liars and eat you (literally).  That LARP campaign lasted a few more sessions but then petered out, but that circle of friends remains strong.  We'd already faced the end of the world together.  We played other LARP together, had movie nights, etc.  Four marriages took place that next summer (Allison, the fan i sicced on V.V., who adores all her novels and I think has read all of them, was one of the beautiful brides that summer.  Point being, games come and go; life has a lot of interesting avenues to explore; yet even years later, true friends pick up right where they left off as if there'd been no interruption.  GAME ON!
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
« Reply #382 on: February 18, 2013, 07:09:14 AM »
I agree. He is a class act. An example many people could do well to follow. I'm not saying anyone here is a horrible person...just that he's a good example of the way this CoH community should be.
Know that whatever you perceive in my persona as a "good example" is something you yourself either are or can be.  At worst, you simply haven't discovered yet your own Inner Strength (tho I thank City of Heroes for teaching Heroism and Teamwork so well!)

Recently, a lady friend confided she felt nervous about her impending 40th birthday (natal anniversary) in a  few days.  Naturally, i offered her hearty congratulations at achieving four decades and reaching 40th Level.  She'd never thought of it that way before.   ;)

Remember: We always have our Secret Weapon: ROLEPLAYING!!!!   Bwahahaha!

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
« Reply #383 on: February 18, 2013, 07:15:01 AM »
I also agree that JR is a wonderful person. Though I have never met him, I'd consider it an honor to be among his friends.
It's far too late, Healix.  I've considered you a True Friend since the first day we met here on Titan Network forums.

I feel equally honored by your friendship and all those here on Titan.  Stay magnificient!  Or as one Great SG Leader said (RL she's a police officer but shhhh!), "Don't ever change - except to become even better!"  Damn, those policewomen are smart!

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #384 on: February 18, 2013, 07:24:44 AM »
http://www.tubegle.com/great-big-sea-most-recent-folk-rock-videos/  Sea of No Cares by the Great Big Sea.  This isn't the version I used to have on cassette audio tape that Winona made for me sometime during the mid-1990s.

Duuuuude. It's always weird when someone who's not from here mentions liking those guys. It still feels like no-one off the island has ever heard of them hehe. Good taste you've got there though, Great Big Sea rocks! :D

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #385 on: February 18, 2013, 07:31:55 AM »
Point being, games come and go; life has a lot of interesting avenues to explore; yet even years later, true friends pick up right where they left off as if there'd been no interruption.  GAME ON!
You are so right about that.

*My turn to over share*
I met the one friend of mine on a small internet chat program called the ImagiNation Network (INN for short). We played Hearts with a couple of her friends, and I learned to type faster trying to keep up with their conversations. INN was bought out by AOL (boo!) and closed down. This friend of mine joined in a  Star Wars PnP RPG campaign. Which was interesting, because my brother and I lived in Oklahoma and she lived in California. We played using an IRC program. A few sessions in, her son decided he wanted to play as well. So, he joined in. Still playing over the internet. We branched out to playing another PnP RPG called Rune Quest. Then, about 6 years after I had met her on INN, I moved out to California with my brother. We've been out here for over 10 years. We all played CoH from 2004 up til it closed. Now, we play Star Wars: The Old Republic. Mainly because we all like Star Wars (Lego, movies, Lego, Action figures, games, and did I mention Lego?), and it reminds us of the group of characters we started when playing the Star Wars PnP RPG. We have never been able to get a party together like that again.

I will say that, although I am sad (still) that INN was closed, I am glad I was able to maintain friendships that I had made there so many years ago. I have made friends on CoH as well. I hope to be able to maintain them for years to come, whether CoH makes a comeback or not.
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
« Reply #386 on: February 18, 2013, 07:40:55 AM »
Duuuuude. It's always weird when someone who's not from here mentions liking those guys. It still feels like no-one off the island has ever heard of them hehe. Good taste you've got there though, Great Big Sea rocks! :D
Great Big Sea does indeed rock!!!  I love that entire album!!!!  The first song of their I ever heard was "The Chemical Worker's Song" which still takes my breath away for its lyrical poignancy as well as their acoustic artistry:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edAxujKev1I

Glad you like my taste in music; as in literature and film, LOL, as well as cuisine, it's pretty eclectic.   To quote my friend, Kate, "Sure I have good taste.  I have lots of other taste too!"  e.g. somedays I like popcorn, bubblegum pop rock, and even "mind candy" novels - tho i was warned that over consumption of the latter can rot the mind.  ;)

Modified to add P.S.  Triplash, i forgot to ask which island?  (some days i have a pea-brain.)  Yeah, i know i could google to find out, but it's more fun if more people play and it's way past my bedtime so please, guys, everyone else take a turn before the GM makes us roll saving throws on 20-sided dice!

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #387 on: February 18, 2013, 08:37:40 AM »
To quote my friend, Kate, "Sure I have good taste.  I have lots of other taste too!"

Ha, I love it! :D

Modified to add P.S.  Triplash, i forgot to ask which island?

Why I'm only from the grandest, most beautiful island around, lad: Newfoundland. It's a dirty big rock sitting off the East coast of Canada. Oddly enough we call it "The Rock". :P And if you believe our local TV station's callsign, we're also "The Tip of Atlantis". (I'm... skeptical on that one myself, but you never know!)

caponicis

• Underling
« Reply #388 on: February 18, 2013, 01:51:28 PM »
Howdy all.

Truth be told I rarely post here and rarely posted on the CoH boards but I was known as thedarkeone and was mostly on Freedom playing DarkebeDamned (spines/darke), Darke Orion (dark/shield scrapper), or my ill/rad troller Radical Darke. I can say I was devastated when the news hit; I was in New York on vacation with my wife and we had just returned from a day at the US Open when I was laying in bed and read the news on the forums. My wife came out of the shower and looked at me and asked what happened. I told her and she couldnt help but laugh (she is not a gamer) but I have been a little "less" ever since that moment.

2012 was an awful year for me. I started the year off with shoulder surgery and had about half an inch of bone cut out of my arm. Not the best situation since I make a living as a tennis pro. Anyways, 3 months after surgery I was cleared to return to work and the first day back I stepped on a ball and ruptured the connective tissue to my achilles. I was out of work another 6 weeks, in a boot for 6 weeks after that, and limited to teaching to about 4 hours a day for another 2 months. About 2 months after that my mom was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer.

Now in the midst of all that I did have my moments. My mom came through surgery and chemo fairly well (still an on going process 6 months later but the old woman is tough as nails); my department managed to post its best year ever even with my limited teaching due to numerous programs I implemented; I was selected as employee of the year after limping my way through 6 months and still working through almost all of my injuries; I won manager of the year. . . And then to top off my year, I was promptly fired because my boss of 5 years decided that he wanted a yes man instead of a manager. I was replaced by someone who still types with 2 fingers and has no idea how to run spreadsheets.

So, how does CoH fit into all this. . . Like so many of you it was my escape. I had been playing for 8 years and it brought me back to being a kid, reading comics, and dreaming I could fly. And it has been gone for 3 months and I miss it horribly. I still game but nothing has held my interest longer than 3 months now. I miss my characters, I miss the character creator, and I miss reading the forums. I definitely miss my escape from the sometimes depressing flow of reality and I still have my computer wallpaper from CoH that I just cant seem to change.

And yes, as a 38 year old, I still find it strange that I miss a game and community so much.

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #389 on: February 18, 2013, 02:54:03 PM »
And yes, as a 38 year old, I still find it strange that I miss a game and community so much.
Eight years is a long for time, almost one fourth of your life the game's been a part of it - so it's not that strange! :)
I hope 2013 will treat you better than 2012 did!

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #390 on: February 18, 2013, 09:33:17 PM »
Holy cow! I have been to Newfoundland and Nova Scotia!

In fact some of my SCA friends formed the Northpack of House Ironwolf in Nova Scotia!
http://tyson1.com/northpack/

I love it up thar!

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #391 on: February 18, 2013, 11:01:20 PM »
Holy cow! I have been to Newfoundland and Nova Scotia!

Yes by! Did ye get screeched in while ye were stayin wit us, wha? ;)

In fact some of my SCA friends formed the Northpack of House Ironwolf in Nova Scotia!
http://tyson1.com/northpack/

...kay, that looks pretty cool.

I love it up thar!

Of course. Who wouldn't? 8)

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #392 on: February 19, 2013, 01:11:16 AM »
Believe it or not a group of 4 of us made a 25 hour drive up. When we go there the folks we were staying with weren't ready for us and had a few friends already there for one more night. I actually turfed the dog out of his bed and slept in it!

It has since been a running joke :) - they posted a picture of their dog in his bed and I asked what was he doing in my room!

Colette

• Elite Boss
« Reply #393 on: February 19, 2013, 03:05:21 AM »
"Alot of people knew me as IceCicle, Aeon, Icarian, along with other alts." -- Icecicle.

:: Waves. :: Hey Snowcone!

Amph

• Underling
  • CoH fan from the start
« Reply #394 on: February 19, 2013, 11:03:18 AM »
Have Lurked... alot.

Male, 52, and loved this game and miss all my friends.

Just wish I could fix this mess.... but, I do not have that kind of money.   Sad.  I am Sad.  Sad that I have to settle for less that what we all had.

So, very, frustrating...

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #395 on: February 19, 2013, 12:49:06 PM »
Amph, you expressed what we all feel...don't give up hope. There are truly wonderful things taking place here, and I hope you read what has been accomplished so far. Hang in there with us...we all share common ground!
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #396 on: February 19, 2013, 01:46:30 PM »
I have not given up - I have contacted 2 groups of developers here in Michigan but have not heard back yet and in fact I doubted that they would reply but it won't stop me from trying.

I have a few more I will talk to and I have decided to also start building my own kid friendly game based on CoH loosely. I want the same gameplay but with different ways to earn experience. I want to be able to have experience earned by badging! Yes, I want kids to earn XP by exploring the world!

I want to also add in some math and science along with history all bundled into a game written so a 10-12 year old can learn as they play without being aware of it.

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #397 on: February 19, 2013, 02:05:33 PM »
I have not given up - I have contacted 2 groups of developers here in Michigan but have not heard back yet and in fact I doubted that they would reply but it won't stop me from trying.

I have a few more I will talk to and I have decided to also start building my own kid friendly game based on CoH loosely. I want the same gameplay but with different ways to earn experience. I want to be able to have experience earned by badging! Yes, I want kids to earn XP by exploring the world!

I want to also add in some math and science along with history all bundled into a game written so a 10-12 year old can learn as they play without being aware of it.
CoH: Youth League?  ;D

Nafaustu

• Boss
« Reply #398 on: February 19, 2013, 03:48:45 PM »

One of the things I always liked about CoX was how much they used actual mythology, so I support this conceptually.   More then once I had to go look something up that I found interesting.   Croatoa is a really good examine of game based on Mythology.    Stealth learning in games is kinda awesome :)

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #399 on: February 19, 2013, 04:18:19 PM »
I have decided to also start building my own kid friendly game based on CoH loosely. I want the same gameplay but with different ways to earn experience. I want to be able to have experience earned by badging! Yes, I want kids to earn XP by exploring the world!

I'm envisioning a sort of cross between Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego and National Treasure, where you roam around the world chasing down villains to retrieve the artifacts they stole and stop their dastardly plots. You'd use math to solve puzzles in ancient temples, science to shut down their evil genius inventions, and you'd track them down by researching history, geography, and local plants and animals to figure out the clues they left behind.

Oooh, now I wanna play it :P