Author Topic: How are you handling the loss?  (Read 187342 times)

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
Re: How are you handling the loss?
« Reply #260 on: January 24, 2013, 11:12:55 PM »
...And when the wife and his 2 yr. old daughter escaped, his brother [accomplice in the crime] tried to stuff the little girl back into the burning house! The mind boggles. Definitely, banning guns will solve such problems  :P And dont even get me started about that moron that threw a young woman onto the subway tracks, so he could steal her cellphone.

We as a society are just going to have to get some folks off the street, permanently, for their own good and the good of society. Hate it, but its got to happen. And we're going to have to ease up on some privacy regulations - because if someone came out of the state mental hospital after a six-month stay, they dont need to be purchasing weapons two days later. Right now we have no way to know where they were yesterday. 

Two bad choices, you have to pick the one that benefits the most people.

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
« Reply #261 on: January 25, 2013, 12:41:13 AM »
Just as some people can have a beer and a sandwich and have no problem not becoming an alcoholic - some people have a beer and go on a 2 month bender.

Controlling guns, games or TV/movies is far less practical than spending more time with people and getting them help if they need it. Some people are more vulnerable to these things and so removing the thing causing the problem is far easier than removing the ways they could act out.

Here in the Detroit area we had a guy just spraying people with a plastic pop bottle with gas and setting it on fire. No amount of regulations can stop that behavior. Increasing the care for those with mental problems and identifying them is the best thing. You understand your own personal circumstances and I am glad you can filter for yourself those types of things that could cause an issue.
This.  I agree with everything you've said here.  Especially for the Care part after identifying; for me that resonates as Compassion as well as intelligent behavior, far different from "nanny state" fears - but I digress into Politics.
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #262 on: January 25, 2013, 08:15:28 AM »
...And when the wife and his 2 yr. old daughter escaped, his brother [accomplice in the crime] tried to stuff the little girl back into the burning house! The mind boggles. Definitely, banning guns will solve such problems  :P And dont even get me started about that moron that threw a young woman onto the subway tracks, so he could steal her cellphone.

We as a society are just going to have to get some folks off the street, permanently, for their own good and the good of society. Hate it, but its got to happen. And we're going to have to ease up on some privacy regulations - because if someone came out of the state mental hospital after a six-month stay, they dont need to be purchasing weapons two days later. Right now we have no way to know where they were yesterday. 

Two bad choices, you have to pick the one that benefits the most people.

So no hope for treatment?  Since you say you can't rely on them to stay on their meds and locking them up for the rest of their lives is the only option?  Hey congrats our panel of experts have diagnosed you with a mental illness so you will be in protective (to the public) custody for ever.  Sounds like the UK's method of handling those with mental illness.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
« Reply #263 on: January 25, 2013, 08:56:32 AM »
Back to the Thread topic.  I heard back from one of my closest SGmates and best CoH friends who wrote me; he said (quoting with his permission):

"Didn't even realize there was a Colbert SuperNation in the COH. Shows how much I still had to discover; THEY ROBBED ME OF MY EXPLORATION OF NICHE FAN-BASES!"
[That was in reply to my "getting the word out" about our Save CoH efforts re: Colbert Nation, so let us add this to NCSoft's list of sins.  Beside I bet there was or should have been a nifty badge or accolade for niche sgbase exploration!   And from the same friend]

"I still cannot access the Titan Network forums; says I can't log in, and all efforts to fix this tell me I'm already logged in. As such, feel free to post evil things about me, and throw in some quotes for good measure as required."

If a mod would send me via PM etc how I can assist @Kavik to log into Titan and join us here, I'd appreciate it - and we might enjoy having a werewolf scrapper (1 of his "mains"), tanker, blaster and dom (Kid Kilovolt) with us.  He's also an amateur writer, retired U.S. Military, father (his son and son's GF sometimes gamed with us) and imo a thoroughly decent guy.    /em holdtorch
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #264 on: January 25, 2013, 02:59:27 PM »
So no hope for treatment?  Since you say you can't rely on them to stay on their meds and locking them up for the rest of their lives is the only option?  Hey congrats our panel of experts have diagnosed you with a mental illness so you will be in protective (to the public) custody for ever.  Sounds like the UK's method of handling those with mental illness.

A select few will comply with treatment, and that is a great thing. The vast majority of the seriously mentally ill are noncompliant with treatment, from taking their meds to showing up for routine apppointments with their therapist. They do this for literally decades, in and out of jails and mental hospitals the whole time. This causes a tremendous amount of suffering, both for the sick person, their friends and family, and society at large. Often the family reaches burnout and cuts off contact with the sufferer. When your MOTHER cuts you off, you're in big trouble.

This is me: other people's rights stop where mine begin. If you as a paranoid schizophrenic have choked your grandmother to death with your bare hands some months ago (one of about 50 instances of seriously criminal patient behaviors I can think of, from personal experience), REFUSE to comply with your psych meds, you get out of jail, burn down two houses, threaten your girlfriend and her mother with a loaded shotgun, and then carjack three cars in one weekend, guess what? You need to be somewhere so that society can be safe from you.

The sad thing is, if they took their meds we could avoid all this. But most of them won't. Many psych patients are really paranoid about their meds, thinking they are poison or a chemical neutering device or implants from the FBI or any one of hundreds of nutty things. These people need management, not least because the next house they try to burn down may be your own. I have no desire to get thrown off a subway platform in the name of someone else's "freedom"!

I do not lack sympathy for these people, but I see this stuff every day and I have no illusions about most patient's management of their own cases - or lack thereof. God bless the few with the insight needed to take care of themselves, for they are.... pretty few.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #265 on: January 25, 2013, 03:48:03 PM »
I personally have reported a felon in possession of a fire arm now on 5 different occasions.

The guy served 10 years (actually served) for Tax Fraud, Drug Distribution and Realty Fraud. I have reported that he has 2 fire arms in his house, what they are and exactly where they are kept now to State police, local Sheriff, county Sheriff, Child Protective Services and the DHS and they have done exactly - NOTHING.

This guy is also delusional and is currently being forced to undergo court ordered mental evaluation and yet I can't get the police to either charge him or remove the guns. Police don't actually do anything they just file reports.

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #266 on: January 28, 2013, 08:12:43 AM »
These people need management, not least because the next house they try to burn down may be your own. I have no desire to get thrown off a subway platform in the name of someone else's "freedom"!

I know that feeling very well, my downstairs neighbor tried to commit suicide by setting the place on fire when he had his psychotic break.
I feel bad for the guy, since he was a good person, but at the same time I was very glad he wasn't allowed to come back after that.

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #267 on: January 28, 2013, 08:35:34 AM »
"I still cannot access the Titan Network forums; says I can't log in, and all efforts to fix this tell me I'm already logged in. As such, feel free to post evil things about me, and throw in some quotes for good measure as required."

Tell this person to e-mail me at tonyv@cohtitan.com, even if he has before and I somehow missed his message.  Tell him to be sure to mention whether or not he has a Titan Key, and if so, what it is.  Also, if he registered using a different e-mail address, let me know.  We'll get it worked out.

Palladiamors

• Minion
« Reply #268 on: January 28, 2013, 11:28:57 AM »
I'm not actually handling the loss of my Mastermind.  There's just nothing I can do for it.  The closest I can come are some necromancers in other games,  or the engineer or summoner in Hellgate London.  Which is depressing.  I miss my armies.

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #269 on: January 28, 2013, 10:46:23 PM »
It's a little tough for me to even go into the Icon app to play with the creation process. Knowing that it's as far as I can go makes me even sadder...I want to log into the City so bad...
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

WildFire15

• Lieutenant
« Reply #270 on: January 28, 2013, 10:54:14 PM »
I'm still pretty peeved. Really missing the ability for Mastermind minions to effectively have conversations thanks to /petsay command

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #271 on: January 29, 2013, 06:44:45 AM »
I'm still pretty peeved. Really missing the ability for Mastermind minions to effectively have conversations thanks to /petsay command
I remember watching one Mastermind's robots singing (and dancing) the YMCA...
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

Nightwatch

• Lieutenant
« Reply #272 on: January 29, 2013, 06:42:47 PM »
Handling the loss?  Not well.  Have tried STOnline and Champions Online.  Can't get interested in either.  A major attraction for me was the ability to really create some (to me at least) cool superheroes and then the capacity to team or solo depending on my mood.  Nothing else out there seems to provide that.

Now I annoy my wife and daughters, buy more comic books than I normally would and haunt these forums looking for some hint of rescue.  It's a sad life.

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #273 on: January 30, 2013, 08:20:14 AM »
I'm not actually handling the loss of my Mastermind.  There's just nothing I can do for it.  The closest I can come are some necromancers in other games,  or the engineer or summoner in Hellgate London.  Which is depressing.  I miss my armies.
I haven't even tried to replace that... since no other MMO's pet classes can measure up to CoH's Masterminds... =/
Instead I've been having fun with the story elements of other MMO's, and shooting up some aliens in Xcom.

LadyShin

• Elite Boss
« Reply #274 on: January 30, 2013, 01:56:12 PM »
Got to face the facts.

I've moved on to Champions Online and Star Trek Online, and while both are great games, they're games to pass the time, not the immersive world COH was.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 02:09:53 PM by LadyShin »
"Frank! It's the love boat to Cuba! Shuffle board and pineapples filled with rum. Know what they do? They put little paper umbrellas sticking out the top so that when it rains, it don't thin out the liquor."

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #275 on: January 30, 2013, 07:34:15 PM »
Got to face the facts.

I've moved on to Champions Online and Star Trek Online, and while both are great games, they're games to pass the time, not the immersive world COH was.
Agreed. It's taken 4 MMOs and a few stand alone games to take the place of CoH. And that's just to pass the time.
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
« Reply #276 on: January 30, 2013, 08:57:31 PM »
Tell this person to e-mail me at tonyv@cohtitan.com, even if he has before and I somehow missed his message.  Tell him to be sure to mention whether or not he has a Titan Key, and if so, what it is.  Also, if he registered using a different e-mail address, let me know.  We'll get it worked out.

Thank you, TonyV!!! I shall do so!  For whatever reason it seems my auto-notification messages from Titan Network forums are no longer working, hence my neglect here.  Glad I thought to log in to see why there had been no activity.  LOL, my bad!  Peace.

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
« Reply #277 on: January 30, 2013, 09:06:40 PM »
It's a little tough for me to even go into the Icon app to play with the creation process. Knowing that it's as far as I can go makes me even sadder...I want to log into the City so bad...

(((((*****BIG BIG HUGS to you, Healix*****)))))

Even apart from my IT inexpertise, I think that's part of why I haven't tried to look at Icon to see my toons again.  Maybe I would if I were clever the way so many are re: making new CoH videos etc. from the materials that are ours.  I also wanted to say, dear Healix, that I like your new signature and avatar lines.  ROFLMAO!!!!!  Yeah, I'm busy at lot of the time also, even when asleep!  *grin*   :D

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
« Reply #278 on: January 30, 2013, 09:09:56 PM »
Got to face the facts.

That poster is pure awesome-sauce!!!!  Kudos and Bravo/Brava to whomever made it!!    ;D

LadyShin

• Elite Boss
« Reply #279 on: January 30, 2013, 11:33:58 PM »
That poster is pure awesome-sauce!!!!  Kudos and Bravo/Brava to whomever made it!!    ;D

pic info says..'RayWilson1', found it on a broken link to a City of Heroes forum post.
"Frank! It's the love boat to Cuba! Shuffle board and pineapples filled with rum. Know what they do? They put little paper umbrellas sticking out the top so that when it rains, it don't thin out the liquor."