Author Topic: SO what is everybody gonna go to now  (Read 33844 times)

Vasarto

• Boss
Re: SO what is everybody gonna go to now
« Reply #60 on: December 04, 2012, 01:29:55 AM »
My Friends want to go to Star Trek online but I dont like that much.
DCU seems ok and the Super speed power is MUCH Better than anything we had in Paragon City! You can run on walls and stuff and that is what makes it so good!

There is also Ragnarok online but I played that to death on the rebirth server.

Diablo 3 blows.

Borderlands 2 can only keep me so busy....maybe Planetside 2?

0nehanklap

• Lieutenant
« Reply #61 on: December 04, 2012, 07:15:41 AM »
I had considered TOR, gameplay was enjoyable, but I found the teaming system absolutely prohibitive.  Nothing is up to the CoX standard there.  Looks like I'll slum around in CO when I need a fix (@0nehanklap if you want to add me).  Reactivated my old account, but I know the old SG mates from there are long gone, would welcome a new SG with other CoH refugees (especially Justicites).

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #62 on: December 04, 2012, 07:30:39 AM »
My Friends want to go to Star Trek online but I dont like that much.
DCU seems ok and the Super speed power is MUCH Better than anything we had in Paragon City! You can run on walls and stuff and that is what makes it so good!

There is also Ragnarok online but I played that to death on the rebirth server.

Diablo 3 blows.

Borderlands 2 can only keep me so busy....maybe Planetside 2?

I tried DCUO immediately after the shutdown.  It's actually pretty fun, but it feels INCREDIBLY limited.  There aren't very many powers, there's no power customization and a lot of the costume pieces look similar.  It is good fun for a few hours/days, but ultimately gets repetitive and boring.

DoctorHugh

• Underling
« Reply #63 on: December 04, 2012, 03:48:20 PM »
Same here. I've had an account with CO since December 09, but hardly played it (which is why my main just dinged 30 earlier today). Eventually, I'll get my villains transferred over, as well.

Knight'Hawk/Night'Hawk

Dark'Falcon

Golden Owl

GeeForce

Texas'Star/Texas Star

Thank you, I really like seeing these side-by-side CoH and CO character concepts. (As well as the ones above yours)

Although looking at them, I can't help but think that CoX's oft-mentioned 'dated graphics' hold up pretty well against newer games (CO -which isn't *that* new - as well as others)

Dollhouse

• Boss
  • "What will happen? Will I dream?"
« Reply #64 on: December 04, 2012, 06:46:04 PM »
I'm mostly playing TSW (Irys "StraightRed" Cavendish on Arcadia), which to be honest would have displaced CoH as my "main," anyway, although I'd have certainly kept up my CoH sub since I still enjoyed it very much. It is in many ways the MMO of my dreams, particularly in terms of setting/lore, immersion factor, the "no levels, no classes" horizontal progression, and breathtakingly good writing. The combat system is decent (but not brilliant).

I also still play Guild Wars 1, and still enjoy it. However, I've decided not to buy anything more in the cash shop (and have elected not to get int GW2) as a way of "voting with my wallet" on my feelings about NCSoft. If GW1 does another expansion (which I consider unlikely(), I'll pass on it.

I'm not actually all that much of a fan of the comic book superhero genre, despite playing CoH from two weeks after go-Live until the Long Dark. I like the genre, mind..it's just not really one of the draws for me. I loved how CoH allowed you to make characters that were miles from the usual comic archetype. But because the superhero thing isn't a priority for me, I haven't been tempted much by DCUO or the new Marvel game...and CO never quite worked for me. It's a good game, don't get me wrong...it just never managed to "grab" me the way CoH did (and TSW does).

Technerdoc

• Lieutenant
« Reply #65 on: December 04, 2012, 11:12:31 PM »
Normaly I wanted to do a break, but now I'm testing Champions anyway. Some things are a little bit complicated, but then I see some other things and I'm thinking "Damn, why we never had this..."

I have to play a little bit, to say more. I rebuild Roxy Foxy, something easy for the start and feel free in searching for me over there, maybe I'm not the only noob there then ^^

Starsman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #66 on: December 05, 2012, 02:05:29 AM »
Normaly I wanted to do a break, but now I'm testing Champions anyway. Some things are a little bit complicated, but then I see some other things and I'm thinking "Damn, why we never had this..."

I have to play a little bit, to say more. I rebuild Roxy Foxy, something easy for the start and feel free in searching for me over there, maybe I'm not the only noob there then ^^

That was a nice replica. Their tails are DARN nice. Also, they have gloves and boots similar to the ones you had in CoH but seem to be locked behind something, not sure if they are paid but available for Gold members (VIPs)

@Atlantea, I love your Champions version of 8-Man... I mean... Cyberman 8  ;)
For the sake of the community: please stop the cultural "research" in your attempt to put blame on the game's cancelation.

It's sickening to see the community sink that low. It's worse to see the community does not get it.

I'm signing off and taking a break, blindly hope things change.

Technerdoc

• Lieutenant
« Reply #67 on: December 05, 2012, 01:48:51 PM »
They also had a wolf tail I used in City of Heroes, but this one looks in Champions just ugly, same with the boots. They also had this boots I used in City of Heroes, but they are not looking so nice...

...but then there are nice other things, it's ok I think. But to made a nice character you just need this gold membership - to much is locked without it like the tails...

Starsman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #68 on: December 05, 2012, 03:53:05 PM »
They also had a wolf tail I used in City of Heroes, but this one looks in Champions just ugly, same with the boots. They also had this boots I used in City of Heroes, but they are not looking so nice...

...but then there are nice other things, it's ok I think. But to made a nice character you just need this gold membership - to much is locked without it like the tails...

Atlantea cleared up a bit in another thread:

There are a LOT of costume pieces that are locked at first. You have to level up a character to level 10 to unlock these pieces. Once unlocked, they become available account wide. You can either create a new character with all these unlocked, modify the character  you already  have, or even delete your character and remake it with all already unlocked.

Why they do this? No clue. Its a silly reward for getting your first lvl 10 character, and it seems may only disapoint players with a bad first impression. Get to 10 and then visit the tailor again, you will get a BUNCH new set of options that don't require IAP.

BTW, the options I'm talking about are entirely hidden until you are 10, you cant buy them nor even look at them until you get a character to 10.
For the sake of the community: please stop the cultural "research" in your attempt to put blame on the game's cancelation.

It's sickening to see the community sink that low. It's worse to see the community does not get it.

I'm signing off and taking a break, blindly hope things change.

Reiraku

• Boss
« Reply #69 on: December 05, 2012, 07:21:36 PM »
I'm alternating between CO and the Japanese release of PSO2. The English patches for that game help out a ton and there's a pretty sizable English speaking community there.

BobMc

• Lieutenant
« Reply #70 on: December 05, 2012, 07:52:43 PM »
Downloaded Champions Online and Star Trek Online for me and my wife to try. Probably going to try Star Wars: The Old Republic too.... maybe dabble into The Secret World after Christmas or so.

Whichever game my wife likes best we'll subscribe to.

If City comes back we'll jump back SO FAST. and I want to try Otherland when it comes out.
The final line of a post  by Sweet_Sarah on Liberty
"Together we entered a city of strangers, we made it a city of friends, and we leave it a City of Heroes."

dreadshinobi

• Underling
« Reply #71 on: December 06, 2012, 10:00:27 AM »
Currently playing Aion (and I really don't care that it's an ncsoft title) and enjoying myself. I had played Aion for the first 9 months when it originally came out then came back when it went f2p not too long ago. They made some AMAZING improvements to the game, removing the horrid grindyness of the game and making good loot much more accessible. On the other hand they nerfed the difficulty of most dungeons way too much (in combination of getting loot easier just makes most dungeons face roll), there is also essentially no faction balance which makes faction vs faction pvp not so much fun, but smaller scale instanced pvp like dredgions and arenas are still enjoyable and something to gear up for. The game is also infested with Brazillians that don't know how to play and most of which can't communicate with english speakers meaning pugging can be a terrible experience. Nonetheless, it can still be fun, and it's a nice way to pass the time and have things to work towards.

blackjak

• Elite Boss
« Reply #72 on: December 06, 2012, 03:16:32 PM »
Atlantea cleared up a bit in another thread:

There are a LOT of costume pieces that are locked at first. You have to level up a character to level 10 to unlock these pieces. Once unlocked, they become available account wide. You can either create a new character with all these unlocked, modify the character  you already  have, or even delete your character and remake it with all already unlocked.

Why they do this? No clue. Its a silly reward for getting your first lvl 10 character, and it seems may only disapoint players with a bad first impression. Get to 10 and then visit the tailor again, you will get a BUNCH new set of options that don't require IAP.

BTW, the options I'm talking about are entirely hidden until you are 10, you cant buy them nor even look at them until you get a character to 10.
And leveling seems insanely easy. I just looked into my second slot and had the other pieces unlocked after only playing the tutorial and starting the first mission. Kinda dumb, but now I  can make some COH analogues, which makes me more happy.
Virtue: Moonsun, Dynamo Jr., Crimson Fury, Sabre Kat, Double Sixxes, Quantum Stranger, Mystic Kirin, Pink.Eye Champion: Blackjak, Redwing Blackbird Justice: Shield Marshal Guardian: White Talon Triumph: Gosuto Union: Stellar Girl

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #73 on: December 06, 2012, 03:44:18 PM »
As I've said elsewhere - don't judge Champions by the tutorial. Slog through it to get past it and then go play the REAL Champions. Which is a much better game. (Though still far from the standard of COH. But then - what is?)

Stunrunner

• Minion
« Reply #74 on: December 07, 2012, 01:16:36 AM »
I received an e-mail from STO/PW today inviting me back to the game to see the new content.  As a bonus, they gave me a code for a free set of Enterprise costume bits (the blue jumpsuits from the Jonathan Archer Enterprise).  I already have the Enterprise outfits from when they first were available, so if anyone wants the coupon code from my e-mail, let me know.

Risha

• Boss
  • Dancing at the end of the World
« Reply #75 on: December 09, 2012, 02:02:56 AM »
Hmm.  My first experience with Champions was UGLY, but that screenshot doesn't look too bad, so I might reinstall it on my computer.

I tried WOW last night, free, pretty.  But EVERYONE looked like me.   And I don't even recall how I got slotted into a priest.  Got up to 3 and STILL everyone looked like me, same peace staff, same wine-stained cloak, same candle-dripped robe.  That we had to LOOT for.  Not so heroic.

The Perfect World drove me insane.  I couldn't move right with the wasd keys, I hated seeing my character toward me, and I got completely stuck in what I think was a room, but couldn't see enough to get out.  I asked  for help and was ignored.  And there is something extremely disturbing about the splash screen with the face of a six year old and breasts of a full grown woman.

I am now trying AION FREE so I will soak up ncsoft equipment/time and buy NOTHING.  I think my character's name will be Freeloader.
Writer of Fantasy and Fantasy Romance

Tahliah

• Lieutenant
« Reply #76 on: December 09, 2012, 09:59:31 AM »
This has been a nightmare for me; COH was my first "real" MMO, and I love love loved it.  I just can't seem to like anything else as much.  Or at all.  I've tried CO, and I find it clunky and inelegant compared to COH.  Everything about it just seems so . . . cartoonish.  I know, I know, COH was a superhero game, but it was . . . elegant, beautiful.  The interface lovely and intuitive.  By comparison, CO seems so . . . amateurish. I just can't stand it.  I've tried, and I have to say that I like it far better than SWTOR or LOTR, but I just feel so lost, really.  I WANT a game that I love to play, but I just can't find one. 

I guess that Secret World is the closest thing to being engaging like COH was (only in totally different ways, apples meet oranges), but even there, I'm just not "into it" like I was with COH.  I can, however, appreciate it and love much about it.  It's by far the best alternative out there as far as I'm concerned.  I'm not crazy about much of it, though.  I find the skill wheel/tree/rose by any other name a bit tedious, and I hate allotting "skill" points that way (really, can't we move past ancient Diablo skill point allotment?  Oh wait, we did, and it was great in COH.).  The crafting thing is a mess in Secret World, so much simpler to just have recipes and invention tables.  The cut scenes which seem to have become so popular in MMOs are annoying (hated them in COH, too, and was very much behind the changes to stop running them if everyone on a team had seen them); if I want to watch a movie, I'll watch a movie.  When I want to play a game, I want to PLAY a game, not sit there through cut scene after cut scene.  Team play in the Secret World is a pain with all the required solo missions (another thing that COH started doing and that I disliked, but at least with COH you could skip it).  Sigh.  I think I'll never get over losing COH.  I didn't like that they started modeling the game after those others, but at least it was still, at root, COH.  "Those others," as it turns out, can't keep my interest and frequently just irritate me. 

Anyway, I guess I'm just still sad and mourning for COH, but that doesn't change the fact that no other game I've tried has come close to measuring up in important ways.  I miss, always, the elegance and ease of COH (neither of which I fully appreciated, I think).  I loved everything about the game, and what I didn't love, I could "options" out of or just not do.  In every other game, it seems that all the things that I hated about COH and either opted out of or tolerated because everything else was so amazing are the actual main parts of the game.  Ugh! 

Tahliah

• Lieutenant
« Reply #77 on: December 09, 2012, 10:13:31 AM »
Hmm.  My first experience with Champions was UGLY, but that screenshot doesn't look too bad, so I might reinstall it on my computer.

I tried WOW last night, free, pretty.  But EVERYONE looked like me.   And I don't even recall how I got slotted into a priest.  Got up to 3 and STILL everyone looked like me, same peace staff, same wine-stained cloak, same candle-dripped robe.  That we had to LOOT for.  Not so heroic.

The Perfect World drove me insane.  I couldn't move right with the wasd keys, I hated seeing my character toward me, and I got completely stuck in what I think was a room, but couldn't see enough to get out.  I asked  for help and was ignored.  And there is something extremely disturbing about the splash screen with the face of a six year old and breasts of a full grown woman.

I am now trying AION FREE so I will soak up ncsoft equipment/time and buy NOTHING.  I think my character's name will be Freeloader.

Ha! I so didn't like Champions, either. Not sure that any screenshot can change that. :P  WoW, I can't even imagine trying, and with the Secret World, you can change the movement settings to mirror COH's arrow key movement (I do that on every game that lets me; I hate using wasd to move).  I would have helped you if I'd been online at the time; as a COHer, I don't ever ignore requests for help :D   And yes, those sexualized avatars are not at all family-friendly, another thing I miss like crazy about COH. 

I'm having the same trouble finding another game to play.  I can't find one that holds my interest for more than a couple hours (and that's not always interest; sometimes, it's just sticking with it to see if it gets better), though Secret World did come closest. 

Tahliah

• Lieutenant
« Reply #78 on: December 09, 2012, 10:19:47 AM »
As I've said elsewhere - don't judge Champions by the tutorial. Slog through it to get past it and then go play the REAL Champions. Which is a much better game. (Though still far from the standard of COH. But then - what is?)

I admit that I can't make it past the tutorial section, but what is it that gets better?  The things that bug me about it are so fundamental that I can't see it improving.  I've tried every visual setting they offer, and I still have a horrible nightmare of massive boxes all over my screen (I loved that I could make everything teensy in COH and arrange it as I wanted on the screen); my toon (and I'd never run anything that ugly and horrible in COH but the costume design thingy is icky in CO) makes me crazy with her stance (yes, I can change it, but they are all awful); and I just can't get over how BIG and cartoonish everything looks.  It's like the knock-off, bargain-basement version of COH.  All that said, I really want a new game to love, so what is it that gets better after the tutorial?

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #79 on: December 09, 2012, 04:28:18 PM »
I admit that I can't make it past the tutorial section, but what is it that gets better?  The things that bug me about it are so fundamental that I can't see it improving.  I've tried every visual setting they offer, and I still have a horrible nightmare of massive boxes all over my screen (I loved that I could make everything teensy in COH and arrange it as I wanted on the screen); my toon (and I'd never run anything that ugly and horrible in COH but the costume design thingy is icky in CO) makes me crazy with her stance (yes, I can change it, but they are all awful); and I just can't get over how BIG and cartoonish everything looks.  It's like the knock-off, bargain-basement version of COH.  All that said, I really want a new game to love, so what is it that gets better after the tutorial?

I don't know if this will help - but you CAN rearrange the UI in Champions. You can also change the overall scale of everything.

Here - step by step -

First - here's the unmodified HUD/UI.

Hit your "F12" key to access the HUD/UI alteration interface. This is what it looks like initially after hitting F12.

Each of those green boxes can be moved individually. Here - I've moved the powers tray from the bottom of the screen off to the right.

Additionally, most of them can be individually re-scaled like you can with windows boxes (place pointer at edge until you get a double-arrow and the pull in the direction you want). Here below I've changed the scale of the two mini-map boxes in the upper right hand corner.

And here's the end result -

You can also change the overall scale of the HUD/UI. Hit "ESC" to get this menu.

Then choose options. On the very first tab labeled "Basic" look at the bottom. There's a "Interface Scale" Meter. Change it to taste.

For our example here, let's ramp it down to 65% and see what it looks like.

Okay, that gets a lot of stuff out of the way, but leaves our chat box and type setting a little small to see.

No worries, you can directly drag and re-size this window, then right-click on the chat tabs and go to the "Options" tab. There's a "Font-Size" slider. Ramp it up until it suits you.

Voila!

So using a combination of all of those, you can modify the UI a lot. I don't think you can change the COLOR of the UI unfortunately.

As for characters, costumes and faces, might I offer a guide I posted on this very subject? It has templates and visual guides for the faces. These are directly based off of the basic proportion templates from COH and are intended to help establish proportions more close to what we are used to. There's also a few observations and tips about general differences between the games that might help.

http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,6970.0.html

I hope this helps everyone out!