Author Topic: MMOKiller/GameKiller meme images  (Read 110795 times)

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
Re: MMOKiller/GameKiller meme images
« Reply #300 on: February 22, 2013, 09:21:09 PM »
I don't think that NCsoft isn't totally blameless in any of these games.  I'm going off of memory here, so take it for what it's worth, but as I recall, NCsoft laid off a bunch of people including some of the founders from Auto Assault, cutting it to the bone, before the game turned into a financial failure.  Tabula Rasa was just kind of a SNAFU all around, especially on NCsoft's part.  I mean, I can understand them being upset about Richard Garriott going on his space adventure (and make no mistake, if I had some means to do so, I'd do the exact same thing), but their reaction to it was like shooting themselves in the nose to spite their face.  It was just handled VERY badly.  Also as I recall (it's been a few months since I researched all of this), there was actually some other company successfully running Exteel in Asia that was paying licensing fees to NCsoft, and NCsoft chose to cancel the arrangement and deliberately kill off the game in markets in which it was doing okay.  I can't really speak much to Dungeon Runners as I never played it, but I do think it's a sad day when tiny quirky MMOs are canceled.

City of Heroes was just the most egregious mistake they made, but make no mistake, mistakes were made with the other games.  The biggest one is that NCsoft seems to pick and choose not just winners that they will hype and market the hell out of, but losers that they systematically cut off from any support or marketing, then supposedly look justified in killing later due to lack of interest and/or subscriber base.  And not to put too fine a point on it, but marketing and support are the primary functions of a game publisher, which makes them pretty damn bad at the very thing they're supposed to be doing best as a company.

Except NCsoft was only the distributor of Auto Assault, Net Devil was their own entity, NCsoft didn't own them.  So I couldn't see how NCsoft laid off developers from a company they didn't own.  According to MMOCharts AA barely peaked over 11,000-12,000 players.  For an MMO released in the mid 2000s, that was failure.

Yes, Tabula Rasa was a developmental train wreck that was pushed out onto the public unfinished.  Here is an article about the development of Tabula Rasa at T-machine, a blog by a former CTO for NCsoft Europe, someone who was outside of the direct development but inside enough to be included on the developers e-mail distribution lists.  It's a fascinating read.  He also has some things to say about CoH's closure and our attempts to get the IP.  He also has a POV about NCsoft's development economics.

As an aside I found this post about the player numbers NCsoft was seeing in the Korean version of CoH, no wonder they closed it.

And of course NCsoft isn't blameless, it was their money and decision making behind each of those games.  But by whatever criteria they use, profit margin, outright profit (must make X amount of profit), foreseeable additional development costs, they pulled the plug on those games.  But if the reports were true that it cost NCsoft 100,000 million KrW to develop and they only foresaw 15,000 million KrW in sales in it's first year.  That's a monumental failure.

That's the kind of failure that makes senior management at any company quadruple guess at every decision from that point on.  The kind of failure that makes management attempt to micromanage development.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Blitzwing

• Lieutenant
  • Boot to the Head!
« Reply #301 on: February 22, 2013, 11:53:42 PM »
I rather enjoyed the time I spent in the Auto Assault beta, including the brief time spent shortly after release(this was just before I -finally- converted from dial-up to Broadband/DSL); it was fun, had stuff blowing up, cars with big guns, and cars with big guns blowing up OTHER cars with big guns(sense a pattern here?)!!  :)

But yeah, I also felt that, despite it seeming ahead of it's time, it was also pushed Live -way- too soon...another 6-8 months spent bashing out some issues, and it could've really been a success, if you ask me....

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #302 on: February 23, 2013, 02:22:58 PM »
As an aside I found this post about the player numbers NCsoft was seeing in the Korean version of CoH, no wonder they closed it.

I found this related article interesting from a predictive sense about what might happen to CoH, now that we're on the back side of the article's timeline.

Waffles

• Elite Boss
« Reply #303 on: February 26, 2013, 12:38:39 AM »
Anyone mind making a "Special place in NCsoft's hearts" image, starring the chestburster from Alien?

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #304 on: February 26, 2013, 01:03:25 AM »
I found this related article interesting from a predictive sense about what might happen to CoH, now that we're on the back side of the article's timeline.
interesting. I'm kind of curious of what those stated target numbers for going Rogue was.

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #305 on: February 26, 2013, 03:58:12 AM »
interesting. I'm kind of curious of what those stated target numbers for going Rogue was.
Maybe they were estimating based on a "normal" advertising budget for MMOs.

Of course, CoH/V/P didn't really have a "normal" advertising budget...
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #306 on: February 26, 2013, 04:25:44 AM »
Maybe they were estimating based on a "normal" advertising budget for MMOs.

Of course, CoH/V/P didn't really have a "normal" advertising budget...
Yeah. I probably could of paid their alloted ad budget with one hours of work after taxes and bills.

srmalloy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #307 on: February 26, 2013, 04:00:03 PM »
Anyone mind making a "Special place in NCsoft's hearts" image, starring the chestburster from Alien?

My only issue with NCSoft having a "special place in their heart" for CoH is how stupid they think we are to believe that all of CoH can fit into something you need an electron microscope even to see.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #308 on: February 26, 2013, 06:17:46 PM »
My only issue with NCSoft having a "special place in their heart" for CoH is how stupid they think we are to believe that all of CoH can fit into something you need an electron microscope even to see.
Well, when you think about it, I suppose you could say The One Ring sort of had a special place in Gollum's heart, too.

Or - to use a more superheroic sort of example - the orange battery has a special place in Larfleeze's heart.

Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #309 on: February 26, 2013, 06:44:14 PM »
Well, when you think about it, I suppose you could say The One Ring sort of had a special place in Gollum's heart, too.

Or - to use a more superheroic sort of example - the orange battery has a special place in Larfleeze's heart.

I would have probably used a picture of Nekron instead of Larfleeze.

It does seem they like to kill games...
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms