Author Topic: And NC says...  (Read 75296 times)

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
Re: And NC says...
« Reply #160 on: October 03, 2012, 02:54:13 AM »
I think we can all conclude that this is the official NCSoft spokes-creature.

...excuse me, sir, you seem to have a litttle. Uh. Something. There. On your pants. Yeah.
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #161 on: October 03, 2012, 02:55:25 AM »
Yeah, sorry. I got "fire in the belly," which would be more appropriate to us, but now I get it.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

unladenswallow

• Lieutenant
  • "Are you suggesting Coconuts Migrate?"
« Reply #162 on: October 03, 2012, 02:55:36 AM »
http://us.ncsoft.com/en/news/response-to-city-of-heroes-player-and-fan-suggestions.html

To summarize:

Honesty, or another teargas attempt to quiet the rioters?

Yes this appears to be their large wooden rabbit. Time to man the catapults and throw it back at them and force them to build a large wooden badger...
"The World is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion." -Thomas Paine

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #163 on: October 03, 2012, 02:58:42 AM »
And here is the NCSoft "Negotiator"

I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Battle Ant

• Minion
« Reply #164 on: October 03, 2012, 03:19:15 AM »
This is my reply to NCSoft - They will never see another penny from me:

I like this. At some point and time it would be nice to have people who own other NCSoft products take a similar screenshots of them uninstalling their games. It could make quite and impact. Send those screenshots to NCSoft with a polite caption such as NO THANKS or something to that nature. That would get their attention.

Colette

• Elite Boss
« Reply #165 on: October 03, 2012, 03:22:11 AM »
Okay... I believe NC-Soft's behavior can officially be described as "scandalous." In my experience, however "big" they are, entertainers never truly recover from scandal, whether their name is Michael, Arnold or Woody.

We've been nice-nice so far. I suggest it's time to get serious and jeopardize some livelihoods.

Nothing convinces like the truth. The question is which truths will be told, and who can tell then loudly enough? The truth is... NC-Soft sold us goods in bad faith, failed even to consider less draconian options like consolidating servers and cutting costs, disposed of their western customers like old garbage, and shut down the game without proper notice or demonstrable need. This on top of a history of forgery, double-dealing and"game-killing."

NC-Soft is already finished here in the English-speaking world. There are too many people saying "I hate you!" for them ever to feel welcome again. I suggest the next step is to translate our displeasure into Korean and get it onto the appropriate message boards there. When we start costing them won instead of dollars, then they will feel the pressure.

It won't save CoH, but it will teach other game companies how and how not to treat their customers. A pyrrhic victory is better than abject defeat.

Besides, who else will we beat up on when the Freakshow are gone?

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #166 on: October 03, 2012, 03:24:19 AM »
I've said before: it may be less important whether we win, but whether they do.  I'm not there, yet, but it is possible for us to lose and still beat them.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #167 on: October 03, 2012, 03:24:28 AM »
Yes this appears to be their large wooden rabbit. Time to man the catapults and throw it back at them and force them to build a large wooden badger...

... I'll get the cows.

Dr Shadow

• Lieutenant
  • Dr Shadow Champion server/ @Leila_L twitter
« Reply #168 on: October 03, 2012, 03:29:56 AM »

We've been nice-nice so far. I suggest it's time to get serious and jeopardize some livelihoods.

I agree, however instead of massive boycott of NcSoft, let's just go to their biggest competitor and (in the memory of 3's company) buy 1 or 2 of their projects. Money seems to be the key issue here, so lets talk with our wallets.
Dr Shadow- Champion Server @Leila_L twitter

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
« Reply #169 on: October 03, 2012, 03:31:12 AM »
Just FYI, here's what I posted to my guildportal SGmates:  NCSoft had the affrontry to post this pile of PR BS today:  http://us.ncsoft.com/en/news/response-to-city-of-heroes-player-and-fan-suggestions.html

Which Jessie, the redname Assistant Community Manager for Paragon Studios posted to the official forums here:  http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showthread.php?t=297822  (My reply to this is on page 7 of this thread.)

See also, what Larry Dixon (Mercedes Lackey's husband) had to say (as posted by Ms. Lackey as Victoria Victrix) on Titan Network forums:  http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,5434.msg57520.html#msg57520

See also, what TonyV had to say:  http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,5437.0.html

My gravest concern is that CoH would be worth more to NCSoft dead than alive, but provided that's not the case, then I think there's still hope.  What makes this difficult for me is all the speculation (some quite plausible, especially from forum posts by people with relevant financial expertise) combined with the lack of data of what's actually been attempted/what it would take to get NCSoft to sell.  However, I'm convinced that we do best to support CoH/Paragon Studios by continuing to play CoH, to participate some on both the official and Titan Network forums, and by remaining positive, upbeat, courteous and professional while NOT BACKING DOWN.

At minimum, we've made enough noise that NCSoft PR is trying to get the CoH Communtiy to shut up, so they  can go forward with killing and burying City of Heroes (by not licensing/selling the IP) without generating a LOT of negative publicity for NCSoft.  Ha!!  They've now earned that in spades, and are about to reap a TON more, as TonyV and others intend to Pump Up the Volume (but only in ways that reflect well on the game/community) while still angling to negotiate for the IP and reboot of Paragon Studios and our dev team.  [End quote]

I hope that's a fair and accurate assessment of the current situation.  Now, I'm gonna log in and play some CoH!!!  :D
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #170 on: October 03, 2012, 03:44:29 AM »
Speaking of Richard Garriott, anyone ever think to try and contact him for support?
I may have very, very quietly suggested that he should be consulted on how best to deal with NCsoft since he has experience with this sort of thing.  I may have also suggested that we shouldn't mention having contacted him if we did given the fact that NCsoft might immediately slam the door.  :)
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #171 on: October 03, 2012, 03:47:15 AM »
I may have very, very quietly suggested that he should be consulted on how best to deal with NCsoft since he has experience with this sort of thing.  I may have also suggested that we shouldn't mention having contacted him if we did given the fact that NCsoft might immediately slam the door.  :)

I was actually looking for this, but I gave up after going three pages worth of threads from the last page.  Any advice he gives should be kept nameless.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #172 on: October 03, 2012, 03:56:59 AM »
I was actually looking for this, but I gave up after going three pages worth of threads from the last page.  Any advice he gives should be kept nameless.
You won't find it.  I didn't make the suggestion out in the open.  :)
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

chasearcanum

• Boss
« Reply #173 on: October 03, 2012, 04:03:30 AM »

Eldershinjo

• Minion
« Reply #174 on: October 03, 2012, 04:12:57 AM »
To everyone that is saying we should boycott NCsoft...
Honestly, that would be your choice... and I would not begrudge you that.
However, I already have Guild Wars 2. I have played it. Its a very good game that has finally filled my desire for a fantasy MMO that didn't feel as grindy as Aion or as childish as WoW (probably more thanks to their gaming communities...)

When the announcement came that NCsoft was killing CoH, my first, gut reaction was to uninstall GW2, throw a big middle-finger at NCsoft, give up on online gaming...

But then, a friend of mine showed me this... (warning, the language is NSFW, but I believe that the message being said here must be heard by more people...)

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/6187-Why-Boycotts-Fail-Where-Whining-Tantrums-Win

Always remember... The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing...

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #175 on: October 03, 2012, 04:28:18 AM »
Kind of unrelated, Yahtzee reviews GW2.

I love this guy...

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #176 on: October 03, 2012, 04:30:47 AM »
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/6187-Why-Boycotts-Fail-Where-Whining-Tantrums-Win

I do kinda feel that NC is on the verge of pulling an EA-level blunder. And EA wasn't lost for customers when their stocks took a nosedive either. But they still earned that "worst company of 2011" award.

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
« Reply #177 on: October 03, 2012, 04:41:17 AM »

I am not boycotting them... just not buying anything else they produce. I cannot support a company that has done what they have in the past month. My not buying is not an act of protest it is an act of self preservation. I will not give another NCSoft title the time and money I have CoH; because I do not like the way they treated me as a customer. When a company treats you badly; as a customer you have the choice of not supporting that company any more and not having it labeled as a boycott...it is just a personal decision not to be treated like crap again. No rallying cried for others to not buy NCSoft products; that's a personal decision...one which I have made for myself.

To everyone that is saying we should boycott NCsoft...
Honestly, that would be your choice... and I would not begrudge you that.
However, I already have Guild Wars 2. I have played it. Its a very good game that has finally filled my desire for a fantasy MMO that didn't feel as grindy as Aion or as childish as WoW (probably more thanks to their gaming communities...)

When the announcement came that NCsoft was killing CoH, my first, gut reaction was to uninstall GW2, throw a big middle-finger at NCsoft, give up on online gaming...

But then, a friend of mine showed me this... (warning, the language is NSFW, but I believe that the message being said here must be heard by more people...)

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #178 on: October 03, 2012, 04:42:21 AM »
I do kinda feel that NC is on the verge of pulling an EA-level blunder. And EA wasn't lost for customers when their stocks took a nosedive either. But they still earned that "worst company of 2011" award.

And, who determines this "winner?"

<twirls mustache>

Blitzwing

• Lieutenant
  • Boot to the Head!
« Reply #179 on: October 03, 2012, 04:52:28 AM »
Do not mistake this for the end, my friends.  There is no way NCsoft has exhausted everything they can do.  That's a bold-faced lie.  However, we still don't know exactly what it means.  I take it to mean one of a couple things:

1) The current negotiations have fallen through.  This does not mean that future negotiations are doomed to fail, however.

2) They've exhausted ideas that they are willing to entertain.  In other words, we need to make them willing to entertain more drastic or difficult measures.

3) They're really, really desperate to get us to back off.  This has more of a conspiracy theory air to it, but it's a possibility considering we've forced multiple blinks.

However, until we know more (probably from Hitstreak or Mr. Clayton) this is all speculation.  But the take home message is:   WE ARE NOT BEATEN YET

Love you guys, we'll get through it.

I'm guessing option #3...they've likely gone into panic mode, not anticipating the entirely negative reactions they've been getting...and they now know just how big a hornet's nest they've stirred up....  :D