Author Topic: And NC says...  (Read 75236 times)

Mister Bison

• Elite Boss
  • *psychotic grin*
Re: And NC says...
« Reply #80 on: October 02, 2012, 10:33:40 PM »
It ain't over till Desdemona dons the mask !
Yeeessss....

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #81 on: October 02, 2012, 10:33:51 PM »
Well  I view this as another mere kink in the plan.

Sometimes companies hold to IP for various reasons and it happens a lot often than people realize.

Take Pontiac for example, GM have no plans on bringing that make back to life, or doing anything with it but I bet if another company used the Pontiac emblem in a manner that that GM dont approve or another company slap it onto another vehicle then GM will probably send a lawyer.

This difference is that now we have opportunity to make our own "vehicle" that is not quite the same as the old one but hopefully will entail all the good of COX and maybe even improvements that couldnt be done, havent been done or they just havent gotten around to do.

Dont lose hope my friends, I see an opportunity.

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #82 on: October 02, 2012, 10:34:48 PM »
Has Tony had a comment on this?

The good point is that it proves were ARE making ourselves felt. They wouldn't send that message unless we were having an effect.
No, not yet.  I imagine we'll get a post about it soon though.

Aquashock

• Boss
« Reply #83 on: October 02, 2012, 10:35:49 PM »
And some of us are waiting for our paychecks so we can donate to Extra Life. I'm sorry that those of us who -aren't- getting refunds from NCSoft have to wait a little for extra cash. I'm ever so sorry that I can't say "screw paying for gas this week" and donate right this second for you.

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #84 on: October 02, 2012, 10:36:12 PM »
Sorry I am just frustrated with the Extra Life campaign atm (and then the announcement made my frustration that much worse).

Took 3 hours to raise money for the devs dinner.

In a week we can't even raise that for a charity to help children with cancer etc.

Not only is CMN a GREAT cause, but it also shows that CoH players are people trying to help their local children's hospitals even while facing the end of their virtual world. A great cause with great publicity and it sits stagnate.. that is my frustration :(

I thought for sure the Extra Life campaign would have easily been to $3,000 or higher by now :(

So far my friends that are signed up have either donated to themselves or I donated to them... at this rate I am thinking of just letting the donations stand and not actually doing the campaign. It's quite disheartening actually to think we have a chance to do a lot of good for children, but no one wants to support us.

Sorry for being Debbie Downer...
It seemed off to a good start and then kinda slowed to a stop... =/
Here's to hoping it picks up again.

Mister Bison

• Elite Boss
  • *psychotic grin*
« Reply #85 on: October 02, 2012, 10:36:22 PM »
Hey, if CoH had a special place in their heart, I wonder where Guild Wars 2 is...

I do care about fellow players you see...
Yeeessss....

chaparralshrub

• Elite Boss
« Reply #86 on: October 02, 2012, 10:36:33 PM »
You know, I'm wondering: does this mean that talks have fallen through on the timeframe of keeping the game running, or does that mean that talks have fallen through, period?

This could be a half-truth. It could be that there were negotiations to sell the studio promptly so that the lights could stay on after November 30. I don't think any of us were realistically expecting that to happen any more - as Tony V said a couple weeks ago, the servers are going down. The question was, and, until Tony V verifies or debunks this, whether the servers are ever going to come up again.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #87 on: October 02, 2012, 10:37:10 PM »
Oh I've been supporting the movement.  Just with this announcement I felt the need to speak up and try to do a little damage control.  They want us to shut up,  and the best way to do that is to just tell us its over.  And most likely yeah,  this will cost us a few people,  especially when it gets out mainstream,  which it will.   But we still have two months to go until lights out,  and even THAT doesn't mark the end.  They haven't exhausted their options.  But they know that no one they are talking to can say anything to the contrary,  so all we have is their word.  Which personally,  I ain't buyin'.

Why can no one say anything to the contrary?  Is the NDA carried forward?  If there is no deal, there should be nothing gagging anyone who was at the table. Bearing in mind that I'm a techy, not a lawyer or business person.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #88 on: October 02, 2012, 10:37:21 PM »
And some of us are waiting for our paychecks so we can donate to Extra Life. I'm sorry that those of us who -aren't- getting refunds from NCSoft have to wait a little for extra cash. I'm ever so sorry that I can't say "screw paying for gas this week" and donate right this second for you.
*relax*

He's just fustrated, just as we all are. I too am waiting for my paycheck (darn once a month paychecks) to help out.

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #89 on: October 02, 2012, 10:38:12 PM »
Easy easy easy.  His frustration is understandable, and I don't think he has it out for anyone.  If you're going to donate, that's great.  I really don't think anyone's going to fault you for needing to wait.  It's those who have not and will not donate that are at issue. 

no hero

• Lieutenant
  • Regens "do it" solo! :)
« Reply #90 on: October 02, 2012, 10:39:55 PM »
It's not over!
* grits teeth

(first post)
Samantha:  "I have to ask you a question. It's a good one so think about it. If a Player and a Game love each other, but they just can't seem to get it together, when do you get to that point of enough is enough?"

Jerry:  "Never."

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #91 on: October 02, 2012, 10:41:19 PM »
Why can no one say anything to the contrary?  Is the NDA carried forward?  If there is no deal, there should be nothing gagging anyone who was at the table. Bearing in mind that I'm a techy, not a lawyer or business person.
Some of those at the table, Hitstreak for example, still have their jobs with NCsoft.  I'd imagine that the NDA could be extrapolated to cover negotiations, given it concerns City of Heroes and the decision to shut it down.  I don't know the details (obviously) though.

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #92 on: October 02, 2012, 10:41:36 PM »
(first post)
And another one stands up! Welcome!

Palladiamors

• Minion
« Reply #93 on: October 02, 2012, 10:41:57 PM »

But no one's talking.  Which either means that yes,  negotiations are over and the NDA is carried forward,  or that negotions are still ongoing and the NDA is in full effect.   In the first case,  what they are saying is true.  In the second,  they are just trying to shut us up.  Considering it has only been a month,  I really don't see everything having been exhausted yet.

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #94 on: October 02, 2012, 10:43:06 PM »
And another one stands up! Welcome!
Indeed, a warm welcome to no hero!

Gee, that sounded... odd.

Anywho, I love your decal.

SithRose

• Plan Z: Lore Lead
  • Elite Boss
  • The Phoenix is coming.
    • Missing Worlds Media - Plan Z: The Phoenix Project
« Reply #95 on: October 02, 2012, 10:45:17 PM »
But no one's talking.  Which either means that yes,  negotiations are over and the NDA is carried forward,  or that negotions are still ongoing and the NDA is in full effect.   In the first case,  what they are saying is true.  In the second,  they are just trying to shut us up.  Considering it has only been a month,  I really don't see everything having been exhausted yet.

I'll point out that a lot of the people on our side have day jobs, and haven't gotten out of work yet. They may not be able to post because they're working on making sure what THEY say is accurate.

NCSoft has a nice big PR firm to write these things for them. We get to write ours all on our own. :) It hasn't even been an hour since the announcement was made.
Lore Lead for Plan Z: The Phoenix Project
Secretary of Missing Worlds Media, Inc.

V-Mink

• Lieutenant
  • Greenside
« Reply #96 on: October 02, 2012, 10:45:43 PM »
No, not yet.  I imagine we'll get a post about it soon though.

A long time ago, in an MMO I shall not name, I was in a party and we were hunting through a desert zone.  I was looking for a rather plain but unique (not raid- or brag-worthy) piece of gear.  After a couple of hours wandering and fighting, the gear dropped, and another person in the party won it.  I asked how much he would be willing to sell it for.  He said to make him an offer.  So I did.  His reply was that if I was willing to pay that, he could get someone else to pay more.

So I do not think NCsoft even set foot at the negotiating table in good faith.  They don't have to; they can simply sit on the franchise and not worry about it and let it be forgotten and deny it to someone else.  Because it makes them more appealing to someone else.  When the time comes to sell NCsoft, that will be amongst its assets.  We certainly are making an effect on them, and I firmly believe this is just a PR stunt to get us to give up.  (It's already started to succeed, as you can see with some posts here.)  Because this has the potential to be a very bad black eye for them.  And if nothing else, if they are holding out for more money for the IP, they may be sorely disappointed.

A coda to the above story, of perhaps caution: Said person put the item it the auction house, at roughly twice what I was willing to pay.  I watched it, but did not bid, and as the hours whiled away, there were no bids for it, until finally the auction simply expired, unsold.

chasearcanum

• Boss
« Reply #97 on: October 02, 2012, 10:46:08 PM »
This is my reply to NCSoft - They will never see another penny from me:
So... you're uninstalling Guild Wars, a game you already paid for, thus giving them money for a service that costs them nothing to provide? I say play the hell out of it 24/7 without paying a dime extra.  Consume server resources.

...or were you going to uninstall it, download it again, uninstall it again, etc, etc.... driving up their bandwidth costs? That might work as well... *

* I do not encourage malicious attacks like this- solo, organized, or part of a botnet storm.  As others have said, wait for word from the official parties and stay as positive.

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #98 on: October 02, 2012, 10:52:02 PM »
Sorry I am just frustrated with the Extra Life campaign atm (and then the announcement made my frustration that much worse).

Took 3 hours to raise money for the devs dinner.

In a week we can't even raise that for a charity to help children with cancer etc.

Not only is CMN a GREAT cause, but it also shows that CoH players are people trying to help their local children's hospitals even while facing the end of their virtual world. A great cause with great publicity and it sits stagnate.. that is my frustration :(

I thought for sure the Extra Life campaign would have easily been to $3,000 or higher by now :(

So far my friends that are signed up have either donated to themselves or I donated to them... at this rate I am thinking of just letting the donations stand and not actually doing the campaign. It's quite disheartening actually to think we have a chance to do a lot of good for children, but no one wants to support us.

Sorry for being Debbie Downer...

Here. You need one of these.

* DrakeGrimm hugs Toast
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

NecrotechMaster

• Elite Boss
  • is there a badge for that?
« Reply #99 on: October 02, 2012, 10:54:37 PM »
i agree that this is standard PR crap to make it look like they are responding to our actions