Author Topic: And NC says...  (Read 74702 times)

Terwyn

• Plan Z: Business/Marketing Lead
  • Elite Boss
    • Missing Worlds
Re: And NC says...
« Reply #60 on: October 02, 2012, 10:14:39 PM »
Monologuing villains NEVER win against the heroes.

Indeed. Usually the heroes take the time the villain spends monologuing to come up with a more effective plan of assault.

^_^

(Many consider "^_^" to be a mere happy face. For me, it means nothing less than "Come, Watson. The Game is Afoot!" or in other words, impending chaos.)
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.
- Albert Einstein

http://missingworlds.wordpress.com

SithRose

• Plan Z: Lore Lead
  • Elite Boss
  • The Phoenix is coming.
    • Missing Worlds Media - Plan Z: The Phoenix Project
« Reply #61 on: October 02, 2012, 10:15:17 PM »
This is EXACTLY what I thought of.  Favorite movie, haha.

Now let's get to the part where their cape gets stuck in a turbine ;)

Let's prove Edna Mode wrong.

Send MORE CAPES! :)
Lore Lead for Plan Z: The Phoenix Project
Secretary of Missing Worlds Media, Inc.

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
« Reply #62 on: October 02, 2012, 10:16:41 PM »

Not to be snarky but that was $1,000 we are talking upwards of $10 million+.

Heck we can't even get people to donate to the Extra Life Campaign which is sitting at less than $1,000 now after a week hehe.

I know I'd pitch in.  I know if a little indie company wanted the IP, and said "NCsoft wants $X we only can afford $Y"  You bet your freeking britches this community would raise the remainder!  Look how fast we raised cash for the devs dinner!

pandora114

• Lieutenant
« Reply #63 on: October 02, 2012, 10:19:06 PM »
Who says we have to cover ALL of it?  Get a publisher willing to pony up a good chunk of it, then we put in the rest to pad it.  Really. 

(btw I've been getting my Extra Life link out there.. not just to CoH players)

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
« Reply #64 on: October 02, 2012, 10:22:45 PM »

Which is my point. If every poster on these forums who wasn't participating gave their monthly sub for Extra Life... we would be doing much better. Heck I have donated $24 ($12 to 2 people) just to help out some. I am finding people are all WOOHOO on the forums etc, but when it comes to actually supporting CoH with their wallets; not so much; which is why a fund raising of CoH players is not something I would consider feasible; especially in LARGE amounts of money.

Who says we have to cover ALL of it?  Get a publisher willing to pony up a good chunk of it, then we put in the rest to pad it.  Really. 

(btw I've been getting my Extra Life link out there.. not just to CoH players)

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #65 on: October 02, 2012, 10:24:01 PM »
http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showthread.php?p=4407864#post4407864

As Local Man posted in the Twitch thread, Hitstreak quoted them.  Means almost more than slightly nothing, but really... doesn't add much.

TigerKnight

• Underling
« Reply #66 on: October 02, 2012, 10:24:13 PM »
Let's recognize this announcement for what it is:  We've fooled them into monologuing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBIMQxsJb_s&t=1m25s

I so expected this to be the part where they are sitting in the car and Frozone starts talking about one of his adventures in the beginning and the two of them burst out laughing. I know the statement made me want to burst out laughing.... Really? The game has 2 months and you're exhausted already? Mental Note: After COH is saved, suggest that NS soft start a rigourous excercise program for it's people......

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #67 on: October 02, 2012, 10:24:39 PM »
Which is my point. If every poster on these forums who wasn't participating gave their monthly sub for Extra Life... we would be doing much better. Heck I have donated $24 ($12 to 2 people) just to help out some. I am finding people are all WOOHOO on the forums etc, but when it comes to actually supporting CoH with their wallets; not so much; which is why a fund raising of CoH players is not something I would consider feasible; especially in LARGE amounts of money.
Can't speak for others, but I was waiting to see my refund from NCsoft posted to my online credit card statement.  It showed up yesterday.  Haven't had time yet to make a donation yet today.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

eeek

• Underling
« Reply #68 on: October 02, 2012, 10:26:58 PM »
This is my second post, after just (finally) registering, instead of just reading and following what's been going on.

This announcement INFURIATES me!  Such a blatant PR ploy to shut everyone up!  It's not even saying anything NEW!  Aug 31: "we're shutting down the game."  Oct. 2:  "really, we're shutting down the game."

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #69 on: October 02, 2012, 10:27:57 PM »
Hm. Falling stock prices.

Nah. As amusing as the thought is, even fallen like that, there's no way this community could simply buy up a share to compare with Nexon's.

Pity.

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #70 on: October 02, 2012, 10:28:43 PM »
This is my second post, after just (finally) registering, instead of just reading and following what's been going on.

This announcement INFURIATES me!  Such a blatant PR ploy to shut everyone up!  It's not even saying anything NEW!  Aug 31: "we're shutting down the game."  Oct. 2:  "really, we're shutting down the game."

Welcome aboard.  It seems as though this is actually helping people come and join us.  Hah, NCsoft.  You're digging a hole.

MishaFox

• Minion
« Reply #71 on: October 02, 2012, 10:29:11 PM »
This stinks of PR CRAP. The 'Toss the noisy idiots something to shut them up', type ploy.

Terwyn

• Plan Z: Business/Marketing Lead
  • Elite Boss
    • Missing Worlds
« Reply #72 on: October 02, 2012, 10:29:41 PM »
To be technical, NCSoft actually has yet to do *any* PR regarding the decision.

All they've done is barricaded themselves into a corner. And we've yet to unleash the siege weapons. ^_^
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.
- Albert Einstein

http://missingworlds.wordpress.com

Palladiamors

• Minion
« Reply #73 on: October 02, 2012, 10:31:14 PM »
And the result is a sudden influx of new voices speaking up on the forums here.
I'd say their ploy has backfired.  8)
Welcome!

Oh I've been supporting the movement.  Just with this announcement I felt the need to speak up and try to do a little damage control.  They want us to shut up,  and the best way to do that is to just tell us its over.  And most likely yeah,  this will cost us a few people,  especially when it gets out mainstream,  which it will.   But we still have two months to go until lights out,  and even THAT doesn't mark the end.  They haven't exhausted their options.  But they know that no one they are talking to can say anything to the contrary,  so all we have is their word.  Which personally,  I ain't buyin'.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #74 on: October 02, 2012, 10:31:41 PM »

Nov: 4 "no, really, guys. We mean it!"

<giggle>
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

laufeyjarson

• Boss
« Reply #75 on: October 02, 2012, 10:31:52 PM »

Been hanging on to my funds for a drive to save the game itself.  There will always be excellent and deserving charities.  There will be one shot for the game.

Don't think this means I don't care.  I'm just not spending money on this today.

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
« Reply #76 on: October 02, 2012, 10:31:56 PM »

Sorry I am just frustrated with the Extra Life campaign atm (and then the announcement made my frustration that much worse).

Took 3 hours to raise money for the devs dinner.

In a week we can't even raise that for a charity to help children with cancer etc.

Not only is CMN a GREAT cause, but it also shows that CoH players are people trying to help their local children's hospitals even while facing the end of their virtual world. A great cause with great publicity and it sits stagnate.. that is my frustration :(

I thought for sure the Extra Life campaign would have easily been to $3,000 or higher by now :(

So far my friends that are signed up have either donated to themselves or I donated to them... at this rate I am thinking of just letting the donations stand and not actually doing the campaign. It's quite disheartening actually to think we have a chance to do a lot of good for children, but no one wants to support us.

Sorry for being Debbie Downer...

Can't speak for others, but I was waiting to see my refund from NCsoft posted to my online credit card statement.  It showed up yesterday.  Haven't had time yet to make a donation yet today.

Mindscythe

• Lieutenant
  • "Any world is what you make of it."
    • SoR Radio
« Reply #77 on: October 02, 2012, 10:32:39 PM »
Hm. Falling stock prices.

Nah. As amusing as the thought is, even fallen like that, there's no way this community could simply buy up a share to compare with Nexon's.

Pity.

One has to wonder how much stock is available. If the negotiations have truly fallen through, perhaps an investor or two could buy up enough NCsoft stock to affect their decision-making processes. If someone was willing to do that, of course. Looks like an increasingly shaky investment opportunity from what I've been reading.
"Radio... Radio... RADIO FREE OPPORTUNITY!"

http://www.profj.org/theradiospeaks/

MishaFox

• Minion
« Reply #78 on: October 02, 2012, 10:32:44 PM »
Has Tony had a comment on this?

The good point is that it proves were ARE making ourselves felt. They wouldn't send that message unless we were having an effect.

pandora114

• Lieutenant
« Reply #79 on: October 02, 2012, 10:33:17 PM »
*KARPOW*

Hear that?

That's the sound of NCsoft's plan backfiring.  Shut us up? HAH  this just kicked the hornets nest even harder.