Author Topic: News?  (Read 249147 times)

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
Re: News?
« Reply #480 on: October 02, 2012, 09:03:14 PM »
This gives us almost no information. We need to hear from the other side of the table on this. Maybe tomorrow we'll learn something from Hit Streak and Co.?

I did not wake up this morning, and for the first time dare to hope, just to have it dashed like this. I don't know about any of the rest of you...BUT I AM NOT DONE, HERE.
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

Elias

• Underling
« Reply #481 on: October 02, 2012, 09:05:33 PM »
This seems awfully sudden. There are two months remaining in the game's life cycle, but they're 'exhausted all options?'

Nonsense, I say.

To me this reads more of them trying to get us to shut up.

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #482 on: October 02, 2012, 09:07:52 PM »
This seems awfully sudden. There are two months remaining in the game's life cycle, but they're 'exhausted all options?'

Nonsense, I say.

Then we start getting louder.
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

Vulpy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #483 on: October 02, 2012, 09:07:58 PM »
I did not wake up this morning, and for the first time dare to hope, just to have it dashed like this. I don't know about any of the rest of you...BUT I AM NOT DONE, HERE.

Assuming this holds up--and hearing from other involved parties is definitely a point of interest--this only changes the plans we'd put into motion and the timescale under which we work.

I tend to become overly rational while processing emotions. I apologize in advance if I come off as cold or dismissive.
@Vulpy
Protector Server

cptbarcode

• Minion
« Reply #484 on: October 02, 2012, 09:08:15 PM »

/signed.

Nothing's over until we decide it is.

(Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?)

Dr Shadow

• Lieutenant
  • Dr Shadow Champion server/ @Leila_L twitter
« Reply #485 on: October 02, 2012, 09:09:17 PM »
The PR spin machine, possibly? After all, if all that Fansy is saying is correct, now would be the time for their damage control to kick in.
In the words of Sandy the squirrel it's time to double, nay triple our efforts!
Dr Shadow- Champion Server @Leila_L twitter

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #486 on: October 02, 2012, 09:09:52 PM »

Nonsense, I say.

I completely agree.  We're creating a problem for them and they'd much rather have us go away.  How can they possibly pretend to be powerless in this situation?  They hold each and every card, whatever decision they make is on their heads 100%.  Don't fall for it.  Push harder and make them come up with something.

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #487 on: October 02, 2012, 09:10:26 PM »
...someone make sure that link gets to Hit Streak.

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #488 on: October 02, 2012, 09:12:28 PM »
Oh, I do not doubt that efforts to save the game will continue. It is not yet Nov. 30. And even then, nothing is over; not until NCSoft does something other than keep the IP and do nothing with it.

We should be patient until the end of the week. If silence is all there is beyond that message, then it may be time to tighten the metaphorical screws. But we still need to maintain a unified front with those who represent what was Paragon Studios if at all possible. We should wait to see what we hear, and, if it sounds like they're still up for the effort, we support them. If they have given up, then we pursue other options. Above all, even as we ramp up the enthusiasm to try to push things back towards game-salvation, we must remember the carrot as well as the stick. There must be something left for NCSoft to gain, so we should be reasoned and purposeful with each move we make. Do not allow this to fracture us, nor make any of us desperate!

Resolve means willingness to do what is necessary...and that includes govern ourselves so that our actions hit not with the scattered noise of a million separate rain drops, but the single impact of one massive drop in exactly the right place.

((And please tell me the "Germans bombed Pearl Harbor" thing was a deliberate joke. >_> ))

TheFlea

• Minion
  • The Grandfather of Spine/SRs in PvP.
« Reply #489 on: October 02, 2012, 09:12:44 PM »
I read the response.

I read the same standard spin we have been getting for over a month. That's not a response. That's repackaging. I don't think we're going to hush up now or stop.

We push. We keep pushing. We made noise. We got them to break the silence. We got people's attention. The one thing I have noticed is that our efforts aren't just being noticed here or on MMO news sites...they're being noticed on other MMOs.

Why? Simple. Hope. The same situation could come up for any other MMO in the market. This seems to be the first time a community has gotten its act sorted and made enough noise to get noticed. And we have to continue to push. I've been told by other people that we've been noticed. I've read the posts on the WoW forums, on LoL and even seen them cropping up on wargaming forums. This is essentially the first test. If a community can turn things around then it gives all of them hope for when their hour is up.

We're no longer just fighting for ourselves. We're fighting for them. We're fighting for the memory of the other MMOs that faded into silence and died with a whimper.

It's as TonyV put it. We're heroes. This is what we do.

8 years. 8 years we've been protecting our city. Did they really think they could just pull the plug on this without us reacting? We've survived every single 'big' release that's come about and held a relatively stable playerbase throughout. We've some of the strongest roleplayers, number crunchers and artistic types around. The community is that varied. And for that I am proud of it.

Yes, I am listening to I Am The Doctor.

I was also listening to Overtaken from the One Piece OST.

Why? Because this is music that seems to embody the element of survival. No, not survival.

Defiance.

This is our city. Come take it.

Electric-Knight

• Elite Boss
  • E-K and Malfaz taking a break, drinking tea
    • www.pauldamonthomas.com
« Reply #490 on: October 02, 2012, 09:13:11 PM »
Yeah, until we hear from other parties, I certainly hold their "exhausted efforts" highly in question.

We're certainly not done. Whether or not we are done with Plan A, so far, I'm certainly not informed enough yet.

Not the news I wanted to hear, for certain... but yeah, no where near done putting effort into whatever we need to do.

I desperately want to hear from a representative of Paragon Studios though. I really hope they can speak up about things, at least a little bit.

*attempts to wait patiently for more information*
--
"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
- Baron Munchausen

http://www.pauldamonthomas.com/

Teege

• Boss
« Reply #491 on: October 02, 2012, 09:14:06 PM »
Dear NCSoft: We're still here. We're still fighting for our city.
Keep fighting the good fight!

@Teege - Virtue

www.cohtitan.com

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #492 on: October 02, 2012, 09:14:19 PM »
Oh, I do not doubt that efforts to save the game will continue. It is not yet Nov. 30. And even then, nothing is over; not until NCSoft does something other than keep the IP and do nothing with it.

We should be patient until the end of the week. If silence is all there is beyond that message, then it may be time to tighten the metaphorical screws. But we still need to maintain a unified front with those who represent what was Paragon Studios if at all possible. We should wait to see what we hear, and, if it sounds like they're still up for the effort, we support them. If they have given up, then we pursue other options. Above all, even as we ramp up the enthusiasm to try to push things back towards game-salvation, we must remember the carrot as well as the stick. There must be something left for NCSoft to gain, so we should be reasoned and purposeful with each move we make. Do not allow this to fracture us, nor make any of us desperate!

Resolve means willingness to do what is necessary...and that includes govern ourselves so that our actions hit not with the scattered noise of a million separate rain drops, but the single impact of one massive drop in exactly the right place.

((And please tell me the "Germans bombed Pearl Harbor" thing was a deliberate joke. >_> ))

It's a quote from a movie. Yes, it's a joke. :P

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #493 on: October 02, 2012, 09:15:51 PM »
Don't let this put you in a state of denial, either. They did explicitly mention that efforts to sell the IP et al had failed. This IS new information. It is BAD from our perspective.

It doesn't mean they are right. It doesn't mean that a sale cannot happen. It does mean we need to recognize that there are, in fact, severe obstacles that need to be overcome, and we do not know what they are.

Quote from: DrakeGrimm
It's a quote from a movie. Yes, it's a joke.
Oh, good. ^^;

void hunter

« Reply #494 on: October 02, 2012, 09:16:13 PM »
At the risk of upsetting everyone, it could be very simple. The Paragon management could have made an offer, and NCSoft counter with what they need. These two numbers could have been so far apart that negotiations were impossible. The game is still worth a certain amount to NCSoft as a loss of profits and a subsequent tax deduction. If the offer wasn't even close to that deduction amount, then that could have sealed it.

Now, this said, if someone else comes forward and offers more, then they'll reconsider I'm sure.

**All of this is only opinion and isn't stated as any insider information**

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #495 on: October 02, 2012, 09:17:31 PM »
At the risk of upsetting everyone, it could be very simple. The Paragon management could have made an offer, and NCSoft counter with what they need. These two numbers could have been so far apart that negotiations were impossible. The game is still worth a certain amount to NCSoft as a loss of profits and a subsequent tax deduction. If the offer wasn't even close to that deduction amount, then that could have sealed it.

Now, this said, if someone else comes forward and offers more, then they'll reconsider I'm sure.

**All of this is only opinion and isn't stated as any insider information**

We can't know unless we hear from Brian Clayton or one of the others involved in said negotiations. So, you know. >.>; No offense, but not going to put much stock in speculation, one way or the other, good or bad right now until we hear from them.

Vulpy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #496 on: October 02, 2012, 09:18:56 PM »
We can't know unless we hear from Brian Clayton or one of the others involved in said negotiations. So, you know. >.>; No offense, but not going to put much stock in speculation, one way or the other, good or bad right now until we hear from them.

That's the most rational approach, I think: await confirmation.
@Vulpy
Protector Server

Arctic Force.

• Lieutenant
  • I am A Blaster.....Floors Fear Me!!
« Reply #497 on: October 02, 2012, 09:19:12 PM »
Considering I do not trust NCSoft, I believe that this is a ploy to try and deflate us. So now we must stand tall and keep our eyes on the prize.

We are Heroes - This is what we do

/em hold torch
One the biggest entertainment franchises was saved by a letter writing campaign. Now it has 4 spin-off tv shows an animated series, eleven movies plus 1 in the works, multiple games And pretty much started "Fan-Cons". Thanks Mr. Roddenberry  Earn free bitcoin

Jetfire99

• Lieutenant
« Reply #498 on: October 02, 2012, 09:22:55 PM »
I should be doing work but I paused for a 5 min break to check up here. I look at this? I think about the hold the line group with Mass Effect 3. EA and Bioware unleashed their PR people on us as well. I turely think there's something fishy here given their history of being shady such as with Tabula Rasa? This isn't over we keep going, I'm not angry. I'm amused we got them to say anything we keep it blue side and dial up the heat.

This is just an attempt to break moral when I think about it.

/em Hold Torch.

Don't drink the NCSOFT-aid kiddos! Keep it up!

Elias

• Underling
« Reply #499 on: October 02, 2012, 09:26:25 PM »
As has been mentioned, even if it's true and negotiations with Paragon ultimately fell through, that doesn't mean that things are over. It just means that we have to approach the problem from a different angle. We move on to Plan 'x'.