Author Topic: Elder Scrolls Online (was "A Self-Interested Update")  (Read 20345 times)

SuckerPunch

• Elite Boss
    • Titan Network
Elder Scrolls Online (was "A Self-Interested Update")
« on: September 23, 2011, 11:27:42 AM »
Hey gang!  The new issue looks amazing and I actually decided to come back to the game a bit.  I highly doubt I'll have the time to work on Titan, but I wanted to drop in and say "hey".

So: Hey!

There is one bit of news I thought might be relevant or interesting to some of you guys.  I lost my previous job last June, and had hit a bit of a rough patch over the summer.  However, at the end of August I started working at my new place, and here's where it gets interesting:

Zenimax Online Studios.  That's where I work!  We're owned by Zenimax Media, and we're a sister company to Bethesda, Id, and a few other studios.  Our main function is make online games, and we're currently working on our first MMO!  I can't really say much about the game at this point, but I do guarantee you it's going to be awesome.

Anyway, what's even cooler is that I was hired on to be the UI/UX guy for all of our web presence, meaning the marketing site, the player account pages, etc ...  and we're building out tools that are VERY similar to what we here at Titan have been working to support CoH.

So basically I get paid to do very similar work for what I was doing here at Titan and CoH, just for a different game.  That's probably the coolest thing.

Oh yeah, one more little tidbit: Floyd Grubb (Castle) and Zeb Cook (Lord Recluse) work here too!  They're both really nice guys.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 08:17:46 PM by SuckerPunch »

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
Re: A Self-Interested Update
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 01:38:23 PM »
Awesome news, man!

I'm still semi-in-touch with Floyd/Castle through other message boards, but I had no idea Zeb was working there.

I love that they're thinking far enough out to build tools in-house for the game.  :)
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 02:25:55 PM »
Awesome, man, congratulations!  I'm glad everything is working out.  That sounds awesome, and I'm glad to hear that Floyd and Zeb are making another run of it.  I'll definitely keep an eye on Zenimax to see what they're up to.

I agree with Eabrace about building tools in-house.  Well, actually, I have mixed feelings.  On the one hand, I would love for Paragon Studios to contract with us so that we could do this full time.  My biggest enemy is my daytime job, which sucks away a LOT of my time.  On the other, since I don't work for Paragon Studios, I feel like that gives us a large degree of freedom to do stuff like pull other community people in to help out or play around with things "unofficially" than we'd have if we actually worked with or even for the studio.  Also, if the studio, for example, released a new hero builder, it would be really hard to compete with that and I'd be genuinely worried that ours would pretty much die out, barring coming up with some "killer feature," which they could relatively easily probably integrate into their own planner.

Still, I won't lie, some months I look at the hosting costs of the Titan Network and sigh, thinking, "Man, that could buy so many Paragon Points..."  :)

SuckerPunch

• Elite Boss
    • Titan Network
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 04:58:39 PM »
One of the plans that is already in place are robust APIs for fans to access our data.  I'm pushing really hard for all that, knowing what I know about working here on Titan :)

Trust me, with me here, I'll keep them in shape and fan-focused.

The first time I saw Castle in the hall I felt like a stupid fangirl.  I had to shake his hand and tell him how much I appreciated everything he did in CoH and how great he was with the community.  Dude is tall

Zeb has a great beard.

GuyPerfect

• Mary Poppins
  • Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 06:21:06 PM »
Oh good. Punch Castle in the face for me for his un-work with the villain Ancillary pools. (-:

Fleeting Whisper

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 10:30:28 PM »
Zenimax Online Studios.  That's where I work!  We're owned by Zenimax Media, and we're a sister company to Bethesda, Id, and a few other studios.
I applied to id Software (for Level Designer and Gameplay Programmer; Dallas location) a few weeks ago and never heard back. You can get me a job there, right? >.>

WanderingAries

• Elite Boss
  • @WanderingAries /\ Mostly on Torch
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2011, 06:32:35 AM »
So...what you're saying is...I need to read all these programming books FASTER?!?!

Aries has chosen to bulster the Resume by reinforcing the programming background from the ground up...all 50lbs of it. >.<
Find me on Homecoming:
https://www.homecomingservers.com

GuyPerfect

• Mary Poppins
  • Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2011, 06:47:58 PM »
The first thing you should learn is how the CPU executes programs. The second thing you should learn is how OOP contradicts that. Then you'll be golden. (-:

WanderingAries

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2011, 09:38:10 PM »
The first thing you should learn is how the CPU executes programs. The second thing you should learn is how OOP contradicts that. Then you'll be golden. (-:

You mean linear/parallel vs what the GUI makes you Think is going on?
Find me on Homecoming:

Tazhyngarth

• Elite Boss
    • Titan Network
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2011, 02:34:02 AM »
<----envy of SP for now.  ;)

Zwillinger

• Underling
  • Paragon Studios Community Manager
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2011, 01:10:13 AM »
Hey gang!  The new issue looks amazing and I actually decided to come back to the game a bit.  I highly doubt I'll have the time to work on Titan, but I wanted to drop in and say "hey".

So: Hey!

There is one bit of news I thought might be relevant or interesting to some of you guys.  I lost my previous job last June, and had hit a bit of a rough patch over the summer.  However, at the end of August I started working at my new place, and here's where it gets interesting:

Zenimax Online Studios.  That's where I work!  We're owned by Zenimax Media, and we're a sister company to Bethesda, Id, and a few other studios.  Our main function is make online games, and we're currently working on our first MMO!  I can't really say much about the game at this point, but I do guarantee you it's going to be awesome.

Anyway, what's even cooler is that I was hired on to be the UI/UX guy for all of our web presence, meaning the marketing site, the player account pages, etc ...  and we're building out tools that are VERY similar to what we here at Titan have been working to support CoH.

So basically I get paid to do very similar work for what I was doing here at Titan and CoH, just for a different game.  That's probably the coolest thing.

Oh yeah, one more little tidbit: Floyd Grubb (Castle) and Zeb Cook (Lord Recluse) work here too!  They're both really nice guys.

Tell Wheels and Corrie I said "Hi!"...and all of the other former Mythic folks there (there was a lot of us, I know).

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2011, 02:03:10 AM »
Quick! It's a wandering redname! DOG PILE!!!
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

GuyPerfect

• Mary Poppins
  • Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2011, 03:11:52 AM »
I specifically made sure I wouldn't be identified as a bluename on this board. I'm not an admin in the sense that I can help people. (-:

WanderingAries

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2011, 03:15:17 AM »
Quick! It's a wandering redname! DOG PILE!!!

For a second I got worried. :-O
Find me on Homecoming:

SuckerPunch

• Elite Boss
    • Titan Network
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2012, 04:03:24 PM »

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2012, 12:10:53 AM »
Hooray!   ;D
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

SuckerPunch

• Elite Boss
    • Titan Network
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2012, 01:29:17 PM »
Stay tuned, at 10am the thing I've actually been working on goes live :D

SuckerPunch

• Elite Boss
    • Titan Network
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2012, 01:55:06 PM »
Stay tuned, at 10am the thing I've actually been working on goes live :D

www.elderscrollsonline.com

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2012, 02:28:38 PM »
I'll have to look when I get home since all I see is a few text links here at work.  Probably getting mostly blocked by the proxy but not completely so.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin

Tazhyngarth

• Elite Boss
    • Titan Network
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2012, 07:59:27 PM »
Sweet!!!