Author Topic: Elder Scrolls Online (was "A Self-Interested Update")  (Read 20325 times)

Heroette

• Elite Boss
  • Penelope Pistol lives forever in my heart.
Re: Elder Scrolls Online (was "A Self-Interested Update")
« Reply #60 on: March 28, 2013, 05:41:54 PM »
My son played Skyrim constantly when it came out.  In fact, that is all he did until he moved on the Minecraft, I think it was.  He might be interested in the online version but he is going to have to pay for it (he's in college). 

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #61 on: March 28, 2013, 09:23:32 PM »
Oops, wrong thread.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

MindBlender

• Boss
  • My Main was a healer, wish he was here now.
« Reply #62 on: May 01, 2013, 04:45:38 AM »
Bethesda, please give me a date when this will be open to enjoy... I'm going a bit nuts waiting for my new place to rest my gaming head while I wait for the Plan Zs.  I have very little hope that our game will be released by NCSoft, so I am betting all my chips on Plan Zs.  I love Skyrim (and Oblivion) so I want to see what the open world MMO "version" will look/play like.  Videos do not tell the whole story.
All my computer skill was used up on my Commodore 64 decades ago...

Rust

• Elite Boss
  • Oddball
« Reply #63 on: May 01, 2013, 05:17:59 AM »
There's just something inherently "wrong" with a MMO style Elder Scrolls game. I dunno, it's probably just me but I prefer Elder Scrolls being a single player experience.

Also, with the exception of the Aldmeri Dominion, none of the factions make sense. Redguards, Bretons, and Orcs? Redguards and Bretons routinely gang up to go all Genocidal on the Orcs, and the Orcs respond in kind by ravaging said cities. But that's almost plausible before the epic team of Nords, Dark Elves, and Argonians.\

If ever there were three races that would happily slit each others throats...
All that I'm after is a life filled with laughter

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #64 on: May 01, 2013, 02:27:13 PM »
My son played Skyrim constantly when it came out.  In fact, that is all he did until he moved on the Minecraft, I think it was.  He might be interested in the online version but he is going to have to pay for it (he's in college).
I used to play Skyrim like you, but then I took an arrow to the knee....

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #65 on: May 01, 2013, 02:30:55 PM »
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

MindBlender

• Boss
« Reply #66 on: May 02, 2013, 10:44:08 AM »

2 snaps up in a circle! (In Living Color reference for anyone not in my sad little brain...)

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #67 on: May 02, 2013, 07:52:12 PM »
This is the only game, other than CoH, that I have any interest in. I got hooked a few years back on Morrowind/expansions and still play Oblivion. (I will get Skyrim when I have the extra funds)
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

JWBullfrog

• Elite Boss
  • I didn't leave Paragon City. They threw me out!
« Reply #68 on: May 03, 2013, 10:31:05 PM »
2 snaps up in a circle! (In Living Color reference for anyone not in my sad little brain...)

I got that one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWdL9mrYNmQ
As long as somebody keeps making up stories for it, the City isn't gone.

Turjan

• Elite Boss
  • You cannot kill a dream
« Reply #69 on: May 04, 2013, 12:10:55 PM »
The Elder Scrolls worlds have always been a love of mine - I modded the hell out of Morrowind on the PC, even to the point of creating a whole island full of interlocked scripted adventures, weird buildings, and custom reskinned character models for a group of online friends.

Fast forward to the present and Skyrim on the XBox is my current TES fix, where months after I started playing, I'm still busy being swept away by a tidal wave of sidequests, exploration and sight-seeing...

So naturally I was seriously interested when I learned of TES Online!
...until I found out about the factions that is.

IMO the way they're handling factions and communications in ESO is an immediate game breaker for me before I've even set foot in the game. There are over 20 years of unique lore already there in TES, but the game's production company appears to have ignored all of it and gone with a completely lame and out of date Warcraft style concept of factions.

"For the sake of gameplay" they say. Hah! What a load of bs - if they had any respect at all for the millions of people who've played games in the world of Tamriel and fallen in love with its lore, they'd never have dared pigeonhole players into arbitrary fixed factions. If there's one thing I've learned from playing TES games over the years, it's that the world of the Elder Scrolls is in perpetual flux. The whole point of the RP games is that a character of any race can, if they wish, be any class and follow any career path - career paths which quite often mean simultaneously being part of rival organisations.

For me, it's that unrivalled open-ended flexibility that has made the Elder Scrolls games what they are. And this MMO spectacularly misses that core feature of all the TES games by dismissing two decades' worth of lore with a wave of the hand, all in what seems to me to simply be a sad attempt to steal a few WoW players.

Unlss they change the way factions are handled in ESO, I'm afraid I just can't bring myself to play it. To do so would feel like I was endorsing the betrayal of an old friend. Which upsets me on several levels because of all the MMOs I've looked at in the dark post-CoH days, ESO was the one I really wanted to work, thanks to my love of the world and lore of Tamriel.

MindBlender

• Boss
« Reply #70 on: May 14, 2013, 04:43:12 AM »
Now that Skyrim has the Legendary system in place, I have more options on the game to keep me busy.  I still want the MMO, for the community feel (which damn well better not get all WoW like!).  I feel that they have taken some liberties with the Lore, but on the whole I am happy with what I have seen on youtube on gameplay.  There is just too much to like about it to NOT give it a chance.

Floride

• Elite Boss
  • Badgehunter Extraordinaire
« Reply #71 on: May 14, 2013, 05:34:25 AM »
I would prefer an Elder Scrolls MMO over a Skyrim one. I'd love to go to Elsweyr or Black Marsh as much as Morrowind and Skyrim.
History shows again and again
How nature points out the folly of men

Rust

• Elite Boss
  • Oddball
« Reply #72 on: May 22, 2013, 11:35:32 PM »
For the life of me, I can't sit down and "get lost" in Skyrim like I could in Morrowind and Oblivion. Whether it's because I'm older or something else, but I just find myself wandering away the game at about the 30 hour mark. I haven't even done any of the expansions despite paying for them.

It's maddening because I adore the game and the design. Heck, I rank it far higher then Oblivion and I spent enough time in that game to get 100% completion on everything.

But for whatever reason, Skyrim just can't hold my interest past Hour 30.
All that I'm after is a life filled with laughter