Author Topic: DemoRadar/CityRadar (was CoHRadar)  (Read 14448 times)

SaintNicster

• Elite Boss
DemoRadar/CityRadar (was CoHRadar)
« on: March 03, 2009, 05:13:57 PM »
DemoRadar/CityRadar now available in the Apple App Store!
CityRadar for iOS

Download CoHRadar - Available for PC and Mac (requires Java)
EDIT (9/21/2011):  New link

CoHRadar uses a demofile created by the client to create a 2D map of all game entities that your machine has been told about.

The map is useful as it can highlight were a hostage, glowie, or even where Quantum and Void-type enemies may be.

Just a note that it doesn't where any of the walls/boundaries are (and can't without decompiling the PIGG files), so you'll have to take into account when using it for navigation.

Those of you who have been around a while may remember the old "Blinkie Finder" program that was created around I6/I7.  I used this as my starting place and reverse-engineered a lot of the functionality it provided.

Full instructions can be found here

Also, the full source code is available in the JAR file and on SourceForge if you're curious/skeptical.  A bug tracker and request organizer organizer are also provided.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 05:37:38 PM by SaintNicster »

Maverick X

• Elite Boss
  • Superpowered Awesome
    • SeanMcMahan.info
Re: CoHRadar
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 05:33:25 PM »
I still use blinkie finder. I'll have to check this out. Thanks! =]
Sean
Retired Resident Titan Nerd
---------------------------

Tazhyngarth

• Elite Boss
    • Titan Network
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 05:35:29 PM »
Sweet!  I can't wait to test this out.

Voltaic Shock

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 07:39:03 PM »
Nice!  I will have to try this out as well.
@Voltaic Shock[/b]
TN Admin, CIT Co-Creator, CGT Developer, Obsolete

http://www.motorcyclistsunited.com/  http://www.YourFreeiPhone.com/index.php?ref=5292707

Steiner

• Elite Boss
    • Steinerd.com
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 11:03:50 PM »
Tested and Working!

Not as close to real-time as I was hoping. But... yea this thing is pretty diesel.

I'm going to take the source and figure out a way to get things to run in real time... and possibly some other features I can't promise only because I can't guarantee them.

I'll keep ya posted Saint, definitely would like involved in my version, since your inspired me to try my own hand.

I'll see if I can stick to Java for the Mac clients, but I can almost promise that there will be a better version of said project done in VB.NET.
~Steinerd

SaintNicster

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 11:18:27 PM »

I don't want it running in real time.  That pushes the program into a further gray area than what HeroStats/CIT are already in.

The reason that it was written in Java was to enable cross-OS programming.  Creating that in VB.net completely defeats the purpose.  You want mac users to be even more alienated from CIT/Titan?

ALSO:
My program only reads demo files produced by the game.  It doesn't read from the clients memory or from the PIGG files.  That is how this stays 'legal' regarding the EULA.  Fork if you want, but my CoHRadar won't include that.

Steiner

• Elite Boss
    • Steinerd.com
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 11:31:41 PM »
Understood Entirely!

I'm intending to keep it within the EULA. My main idea was to have the demo recording all the time... with a constant running script that deletes the obsolete chunk of the demo every x seconds.

This should work with slightly more resources used... and possibly loading up images of recognized maps into the 2d display.

I don't plan to do anything you'd dis-approve.

Also, it's been publicly announced that the PIGG data is more than available to use and view on a private level. Meaning as long as you don't make any of the information PUBLIC or use it to abuse the game... and lastly selling said app for profit everything is good.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 11:46:35 PM by Steiner »
~Steinerd

SuckerPunch

• Elite Boss
    • Titan Network
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009, 12:30:44 AM »
You want mac users to be even more alienated from CIT/Titan?

Whoah, that's not even remotely fair.  It's not like anyone in the gaming community had any clue they would ever make a Mac client.  In fact, several times the devs had stated it wasn't going to happen.

I understand what you're saying but to insinuate we did anything willingly or on purpose to push Mac users aside is completely unfair. 

SaintNicster

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2009, 03:38:34 AM »
Whoah, that's not even remotely fair.  It's not like anyone in the gaming community had any clue they would ever make a Mac client.  In fact, several times the devs had stated it wasn't going to happen.

I understand what you're saying but to insinuate we did anything willingly or on purpose to push Mac users aside is completely unfair. 
Hmm, so that's what my foot tastes like.  Good to know.

Welcome back to posting, SP.  I hate like it had to be like that -.-

/backpedals

Ok, so that didn't come out right at all. Didn't mean to blame, though it certainly looks like that.  I was trying to go for was that now that the game is Cross-OS, we (as fan developers) have somewhat of a duty to develop for both.  Now obviously, there is a bit of grandfathering when it comes to things that already exists.  The HeroStats engine will not be an easy thing to port (if at all possible).  What I was trying to imply was that at this point, we should avoid making more incompatible programs.  The code base shouldn't be split over two languages.

Err, crap.  The more I say the deeper I digg.  Let's just say that it was a douche-y comment and I'll shut up about it >.>

SaintNicster

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2009, 04:02:41 AM »
Understood Entirely!

I'm intending to keep it within the EULA. My main idea was to have the demo recording all the time... with a constant running script that deletes the obsolete chunk of the demo every x seconds.
That sounds like botting, which I'm fairly sure is against the EULA.

Also, it's been publicly announced that the PIGG data is more than available to use and view on a private level. Meaning as long as you don't make any of the information PUBLIC or use it to abuse the game... and lastly selling said app for profit everything is good.
I was fairly certain that nothing has ever been said like this.  Can you point me to a redname or such?

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2009, 05:06:32 AM »
I took the radar for a quick spin when I got home tonight.  I fed it some demo files I'd recorded of things like the Arachnos Flier's flight path.

Way too cool!

I could have some fun with this.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Steiner

• Elite Boss
    • Steinerd.com
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2009, 07:02:01 AM »
~Steinerd

SaintNicster

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2009, 07:11:24 AM »
I'm deleting the parts of the demo file, it isn't effecting the client at all. Shouldn't be botting.

When you enter the /demorecord command, that only creates the placeholder/empties the file for the demo.  The demo itself isn't written to the disk until you fire off the /demostop command.  I had to handle this when loading the files.

Steiner

• Elite Boss
    • Steinerd.com
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2009, 12:36:21 PM »
really!?

Dang... that sucks bananas.

~Steinerd

Tazhyngarth

• Elite Boss
    • Titan Network
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2009, 02:55:39 PM »
In yo Face Steiner!  You're doing it wrong!  HA!

...I don't know, just felt the need to do that.... :P

Don't worry about your Post Saint, we all know you're a good guy and not out to make intentionally offensive Posts.  We all know how hard it is to 100% see the intent of certain Posts because expressions aren't typed out very easily.

SuckerPunch

• Elite Boss
    • Titan Network
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2009, 05:15:09 PM »

I understood what you were saying, but I didn't want anyone to think for a second we have something against Mac users.

I do agree with you that going forward we/fansites in general should do what they can to support both platforms. 

But for now, the existing stuff is at the mercy of someone that knows how to get that stuff working on a Mac. None of us are Java guys, or really have a Mac to test on.  If you or anyone that does have such experience, a Mac, and the time, I'd love to get in contact and see what can be worked out.

Anyway, don't want to derail this thread anymore.   This looks really cool, awesome work!

Voltaic Shock

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2009, 05:09:30 PM »
My wife has a Mac - :P
@Voltaic Shock[/b]
TN Admin, CIT Co-Creator, CGT Developer, Obsolete

http://www.motorcyclistsunited.com/  http://www.YourFreeiPhone.com/index.php?ref=5292707

SaintNicster

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2009, 05:12:32 PM »
My wife has a Mac - :P

Well there go your excuses ;)

Tazhyngarth

• Elite Boss
    • Titan Network
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2009, 05:59:00 PM »
No no, our excuses stay, because it's his wifes computer, and he's not allowed to use it for anything :P.

idk, that's the only saving grace I see with that statement LOL!

DarthSmaug

• Underling
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2009, 09:33:25 PM »
wow, even moar goodies! gonna check this out now on my laptop. first I gotta go read up on the demo recording (I make demos in Team Fortress 2 all the time!)
you guys NEVER cease to amaze me, thanks.
i can rebuild a holley carb pretty qwik ;) lolz