Author Topic: Doctor Who season... 11?  (Read 6537 times)

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
Doctor Who season... 11?
« on: October 10, 2018, 06:04:23 AM »
I gotta admit - so far I'm liking the new Doctor.  There was a speech about changing/evolving in the first episode that was a bit on the nose, and I'm not sold on the menagerie of companions, but the Doctor seems pretty good so far.  Should've kept the mad scientist goggles from the Sonic construction for the final outfit, though.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

MyriVerse

• Prom King 2017
  • Elite Boss
Re: Doctor Who season... 11?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2018, 01:42:23 PM »
The plot of the first episode was a bit... simple. But simple isn't bad for an intro. The companions are kinda cardboard at this point. I think they killed the wrong one. Where's the TARDIS? I hope they find it soon. However, I'm totally on board for this new Doctor. Maybe Tom Baker was right and the role is actor-proof. Whittaker is certainly handling the role well so far.

I do have one question: she survived the fall from the TARDIS, how? Resilient lady. Shouldn't that fall have brought another regen? Okay. Two questions. It's kinda the same question though.
aka Majadi | Sugar Cane | Absinthe | Killer Antz | Bogatyra | ...
Best Video Game of 2016 -- Paragon Chat!!!
Codewalker for Mayor of Paragon!

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 09:48:07 PM »
She was still regenerating.  It's like being Deadpool without the cancer.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 05:30:48 PM »
The plot of the first episode was a bit... simple. But simple isn't bad for an intro. The companions are kinda cardboard at this point. I think they killed the wrong one. Where's the TARDIS? I hope they find it soon. However, I'm totally on board for this new Doctor. Maybe Tom Baker was right and the role is actor-proof. Whittaker is certainly handling the role well so far.

I do have one question: she survived the fall from the TARDIS, how? Resilient lady. Shouldn't that fall have brought another regen? Okay. Two questions. It's kinda the same question though.

Ah that's easy - the steel metal roof broker her fall.

HalcyonS

• Boss
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2018, 02:25:47 AM »
I admit I like it a lot so far, but I've also really enjoyed Whittaker since seeing her in "Attack the Block". And I agree with Tenzhi and was hoping she'd keep the goggles.

MyriVerse

• Prom King 2017
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2018, 11:21:10 AM »
Ah that's easy - the steel metal roof broker her fall.
Cool. Doc is Supergirl now... more powerful than a locomotive... roof.

/sarcasm

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2018, 09:54:35 AM »
I officially don't like Ryan, even though the Call of Duty bit was amusing.

And I didn't care for the new TARDIS interior.  I might not mind it if it was brighter.  Maybe paint the strange roundish wall lattice white, and then light the crystals with blue or a cool green instead of that sickly honey colour.  But at least it has a biscuit button, which is almost as good as a muffin button.

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2018, 02:00:32 PM »
I officially don't like Ryan, even though the Call of Duty bit was amusing.

And I didn't care for the new TARDIS interior.  I might not mind it if it was brighter.  Maybe paint the strange roundish wall lattice white, and then light the crystals with blue or a cool green instead of that sickly honey colour.  But at least it has a biscuit button, which is almost as good as a muffin button.

It was better when the doors opened right into the console room. Had the illusion of the inside being bigger then the outside.

Now it looks like they walk through the box like a hallway into another space.

MyriVerse

• Prom King 2017
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2018, 03:53:20 PM »
I always prefer the inside brighter like it was for Pertwee and the 80s, but I dig the new design.

All of the companions are still leaving me cold. I hope this improves.

The plots are still meh, but passable.

But I love 13!

And love the new opening.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 04:33:17 PM by MyriVerse »

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2018, 01:50:16 AM »
I always prefer the inside brighter like it was for Pertwee and the 80s, but I dig the new design.

All of the companions are still leaving me cold. I hope this improves.

The plots are still meh, but passable.

But I love 13!

And love the new opening.

Yeah - my little niggle about the new TARDIS set aside - I think she is great.

Didn't bother me in the first place they cast a woman, and it still doesn't.

I like the opening and music - a nice callback to the older days with simple titles.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2018, 09:42:50 AM »
Don't know how I feel about episode 3 overall.  It was kinda boring.  Had a couple of good character moments.  Ryan was still annoying.  Yaz was bland.  But Graham was pretty good.  The villain was throwaway and ultimately got thrown away.  For a moment it seemed like he could be important - and maybe he will be later.

MyriVerse

• Prom King 2017
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2018, 12:40:22 PM »
On another board, it was postulated that they got rid of the villain in possibly the worst way possible. Sending him further back in time will only lead to bigger and worse time screw ups. Maybe he'll return. I sure hope the writers don't think that was a good ending for him.

Yaz is still bland, but likable, I guess. Ryan got better, imo, as did Graham.

I think the plot got kind of cheesy with the politics at times, especially that ending.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2018, 01:00:16 PM »
This episode with the spiders was terrible.  It built up a fair enough premise, but failed to deliver a satisfying conclusion.  And the Evil American Businessman who loves guns was cartoonishly bad, and will likely be elected in 2020.

Graham had some good character moments.  Yaz managed to continue to avoid developing any character.  And Ryan continues to be annoying, punctuating it with music this time.

MyriVerse

• Prom King 2017
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2018, 02:38:47 PM »
Still nothing close to a good villain in this season.

13 continues to be the only really good thing about the episodes.

Spoiler for Hidden:
Frankly, I think masses of smaller spiders are creepier than giant ones. These just didn't impress me very much. And I sort of agreed with the semi-antagonist (Trump-lite) guy in the end-- it was a mercy killing, and TeamTARDIS should have been trying to kill the spiders. They were a threat to everything, everywhere, and their existence was an unnatural man-made thing.

I sort of think one of the companions should have died in this episode. My vote would have been for Ryan.

HalcyonS

• Boss
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2018, 01:57:16 AM »
Spoiler for Hidden:
The problem is while you could say it was a mercy killing his intention CLEARLY wasn't as one, so I can understand the Doctor's anger.

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2018, 01:54:13 PM »
Spoiler for Hidden:
The problem is while you could say it was a mercy killing his intention CLEARLY wasn't as one, so I can understand the Doctor's anger.

Would it had made any difference if that was his intention?

Either way I think she would have been angry with him - which in hindsight what he did probably was the best thing to do in that case.

MyriVerse

• Prom King 2017
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2018, 02:10:57 PM »
Spoiler for Hidden:
I cannot accept the Doctor's entire premise regarding these horrible creatures. IMO, if animals are ever a threat to people, they need to die ASAP. Screw conservation. But these spiders were truly unnatural abominations created by man and a danger to the ecosystem.

Kill them all with as much fire as you can possibly use without destroying much property.

I'm a big Liberal and this guy might get my vote in 2020. TBH, he came across as more of an Alec Baldwin (the anti-Trump) than Trump.

HalcyonS

• Boss
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2018, 02:41:22 AM »
Would it had made any difference if that was his intention?

Either way I think she would have been angry with him - which in hindsight what he did probably was the best thing to do in that case.

Yeah, I think it would have made a difference. She wouldn't have been happy but I don't think she would have been as angry.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2018, 04:41:02 AM »
Maybe the new Doctor doesn't need a rational reason to be angry.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2018, 04:28:53 PM »
And this week's baddie seems to be brought to us from the Lilo and Stitch cartoon series.

The B story pregnancy's purpose seemed to be to keep the guys out of the action.  It might've had the secondary purpose of saying "ooo... look at all of this role reversal we've got going on."

All in all I'd say the episode was inoffensively mediocre.