Author Topic: Doctor Who season... 11?  (Read 6539 times)

MyriVerse

• Prom King 2017
  • Elite Boss
Re: Doctor Who season... 11?
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2018, 04:48:03 PM »
At this point, I'm just getting kind of fed up with the lack of good villains and Ryan.

Spoiler for Hidden:
This episode ended with TeamTARDIS without a TARDIS. I hope that's addressed next ep.
aka Majadi | Sugar Cane | Absinthe | Killer Antz | Bogatyra | ...
Best Video Game of 2016 -- Paragon Chat!!!
Codewalker for Mayor of Paragon!

HalcyonS

• Boss
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2018, 04:08:51 AM »
All in all I'd say the episode was inoffensively mediocre.

Yeah, I have to agree with you there.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2018, 01:32:35 PM »
Well, that was basically just a flashback.  Witnessing events without really interfering or changing anything.  Pointless alien presence, too.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2018, 12:36:08 PM »
The Kerblam episode was pretty good, actually.  The bad guy fakeout was predictable.  Ryan was verging on likable.  The Doctor saved the day.

Looking forward to Alan Cumming's appearance in next week's episode.  Although for some reason when I saw the preview I thought it was an oddly young Eric Idle.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

MyriVerse

• Prom King 2017
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2018, 05:32:00 PM »
The entire time I was hoping they wouldn't fake out like that, but on the other hand, I like it when machines aren't the bad guys. Agreed, pretty good episode.

MyriVerse

• Prom King 2017
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2018, 09:40:45 PM »
Very creepy Witch episode. It felt the most like a classic Doctor ep to me. But it lost something around the end. Cummings was awesome as King James! Even Ryan was pretty good this ep.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2018, 02:57:49 PM »
King James chewed the scenery yea verily.  I was enjoying the episode right up until the main baddy revealed itself as Rita Repulsa cosplaying a muddy entwife.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2018, 10:08:51 AM »
Wow, that episode felt like it was written by Madeleine L'Engle.

MyriVerse

• Prom King 2017
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2018, 12:24:27 PM »
Spoiler for Hidden:
Didn't care for the whole "let's be friends" thing at the end. Again, we're cheated out of a real villain. Ryan was okay again.

I don't really understand how, at the beginning, the Doctor is out in the forest and still doesn't know where/when they are. This is usually info the TARDIS displays. She should know this before they even open the door, and it seems really stupid to open the door without knowing this.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2018, 01:27:25 PM »
And just in case it didn't seem stupid, let's eat some dirt just to make sure it is.

MyriVerse

• Prom King 2017
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2018, 12:31:54 PM »
IMO, that was the best of the season, with eps 2-9 as nothing but filler.

Not even sure I'm looking forward to the New Years ep.

Okay, who am I fooling? Of course I am. But only because I'm a nerd.

Spoiler for Hidden:
Tzim Sha was really the only good villain the whole season. The Doctor needs to get over this sillystupid "no kill" nonsense. Graham was awesome... until flaking out at the end. Ryan was actually pretty good. Yaz may as well not exist.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2018, 04:54:33 PM »
It was alright.  The plot was a bit of a rehash of The Pirate Planet, only not as good.  I was disappointed to see Tim Shaw.  He had been pretty satisfyingly wrapped up already.  I think the space racist would've been a better villain to return for a more fitting comeuppance. 

New Year's is just not an interesting holiday for specials.

MyriVerse

• Prom King 2017
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2018, 05:46:10 PM »
Spoiler for Hidden:
Tzim Sha wasn't dealt with after ep1, either, just sent away like Krasko, the racist guy. And frankly, I still don't think Tzim Sha was dealt with, just imprisoned. Tzim was a much cooler villain, imo, plus has a huge emotional connection to the team. If this is truly a "Fam," then Tzim is absolutely the archnemesis.

The racist guy was really a nothing. They didn't even properly sell any of his motivations. Yes, he potentially could be something, but as it stands, nothing he did amounted to anything at all. The story was really quite vapid and only served to talk about Rosa Parks, not develop any sort of story.

The Morax weren't effectively dealt with either, just imprisoned to become someone else's eventual burden.

None of the other antagonists truly qualify as villains.

Yes, but this Doctor is not an interesting thing for a holiday special. :D

If anything, I would say New Year's is TOO interesting of a holiday for a special. Christmas is the boring holiday where people sit home and be bored at the TV. New Year's is where they're too busy having fun to watch TV.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 06:07:43 PM by MyriVerse »

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2018, 07:44:03 PM »
Spoiler for Hidden:
Tzim Sha wasn't dealt with after ep1, either, just sent away like Krasko, the racist guy. And frankly, I still don't think Tzim Sha was dealt with, just imprisoned. Tzim was a much cooler villain, imo, plus has a huge emotional connection to the team. If this is truly a "Fam," then Tzim is absolutely the archnemesis.

The racist guy was really a nothing. They didn't even properly sell any of his motivations. Yes, he potentially could be something, but as it stands, nothing he did amounted to anything at all. The story was really quite vapid and only served to talk about Rosa Parks, not develop any sort of story.

The Morax weren't effectively dealt with either, just imprisoned to become someone else's eventual burden.

None of the other antagonists truly qualify as villains.

Yes, but this Doctor is not an interesting thing for a holiday special. :D

If anything, I would say New Year's is TOO interesting of a holiday for a special. Christmas is the boring holiday where people sit home and be bored at the TV. New Year's is where they're too busy having fun to watch TV.

Maybe the show will seem better watched with a hangover.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2018, 09:05:45 PM »
I meant New Year's wasn't interesting in that it lacks the myths, traditions, and stories that other holidays have.  It's essentially just a poor excuse for idiots to get hammered and cause trouble.  Basically just a weekend (New Week's Eve, woo...) that somebody made a big production out of.

MyriVerse

• Prom King 2017
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2018, 03:44:29 PM »
I would think New Years would lend itself to the Doctor more than Christmas. At least New Years is time-related. Making the Doctor do something special for Christmas has always seemed a massive shoehorn to me. The only point is to sell a timeslot on TV.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2018, 09:21:28 PM »
Time is more normal for the Doctor... but normal isn't special.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2019, 02:25:50 PM »
Well, the New Year's episode had a Dalek, I guess.  I liked the pre-ending as an ending better than the cheesy power of love ending.