Author Topic: rebuild COH  (Read 26431 times)

CptDraco

• Underling
Re: rebuild COH
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2016, 06:35:25 AM »
Why did you wait so long to file after allowing  others to use your allegedly abandoned software?

I just have to ask because something like this was mentioned in the OP and several times after in this topic. When did NCSoft allow someone to use any part of CoH?

Stealth Dart

• Boss
  • Martial Artists kick butt with style
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2016, 07:49:13 AM »
Most likely they are alluding to Icon.  This allows you to enter the character creator and make a character that can then "zone in"...but there are no mobs, no powers, no missions and you are basically alone.  Then there is Paragon Chat which allows you to go in to the character creator and make a character that can then "zone in"...and chat, and role-play with other players.  You have basic movement powers plus emotes but once again no mobs, no combat powers or missions as this was all handled on the NCSoft servers which have long since shut down.  Basically Icon and Paragon Chat use the Client side exclusively.  Which is why NCSoft has not bothered with a cease and desist order.
I am a dancer, a leaf in the wind...a leaf that can kick your Butt!

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2016, 11:14:48 PM »
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2016, 01:14:22 AM »
Based on what I've read, Paramount is the Star Trek copyright holder that's getting angry, rather than CBS. And mostly because of Beyond coming out.
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2016, 01:15:18 AM »
That was a server with over 10000 players. Those and servers selling ingame items for real $ are the ONLY servers blizzard ever targets.

Doc Artz

• Lieutenant
  • Infinity, SG leader of The Moon Dragons
    • Behance
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2016, 10:05:22 PM »
Doc Artz

Felderburg

• Elite Boss
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2016, 10:27:32 PM »
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Doc Artz

• Lieutenant
    • Behance
« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2016, 01:41:57 AM »
1. "Our?" Us who? What "we" are you referring to?....."The presence of a C&D implies,"
You're correct with one phrase, The presence of a C&D implies. It's at said implication we gracefully bow out and continue moving in the current direction.
"We" simple refers to those of us who have donated financially, "who" have hope our game will  return, and "ALL" are those who believe there is a chance to bring back the game many of us spent money to play. PayPal  is, as all well know, those who would help games, Amazon, eBay and many other  customers pay for goods and services. PayPal was with COH for some time. I sort of thought that concept of finding financing while developing would have  been obvious.  :roll:
---------------
As for me,  I've began writing a Task Force (TF) concerning the ancient Greek City State. It'll be two part with the
conclusion a much more difficult challenge. The next phase of the TF would be to  join the Greecian Army in an attempt to concur the City of Troy. It's obviously a work in progress complete with maps, original contacts, in game contacts, and several surprises in each phase of the TF. If the idea is not well received or others opinions and/or suggestions  aren't forth coming, the delete button is but a motion a way.
 8)

« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 03:04:20 PM by Doc Artz »
Doc Artz

Felderburg

• Elite Boss
« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2016, 02:28:35 AM »
When you say "donated financially".... do you mean paying for CoH while it was live? Because, since you say we shouldn't care about the successors, there's nothing else to fund. Sure, the Titan Network has a donate button, but that's for the Titan Network, not for bringing CoH back.

Regarding PayPal, your wording made it seem like they would invest directly in bringing CoH back. But yeah, I suppose it could be used as a method for people to pay for a revival of CoH... but no one's going to be charging for that, since it most certainly would bring NCsoft's legal team down on the server.

slickriptide

• Elite Boss
« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2016, 02:06:42 PM »
It's very easy to say "we" should make an emulator already when you really mean "someone who is not me should step up and do all the work and assume all of the risk while they let me play on it".

Why not say, "I bet NCSoft will do nothing and who cares about their C&D's anyway?" when it's the other guy who has to deal with the consequences?

The tolerance level of other companies is irrelevant. People who bring up EA and Earth & Beyond either forget or never knew that EA never gave a smeg about E&B when it was alive. They bought Westwood Studios and E&B was just something that came along.

NCSoft has a history of shutting down emulators on principle. There's every reason to believe that once they find out about an emulator, they'll take action without even learning any more about it than the fact of its existence.

That's why people with the skills and knowledge to make an emulator have chosen to pursue other projects instead. Hand-waving by armchair attorneys with degrees frim Google notwithstanding.

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #50 on: April 24, 2016, 11:28:25 PM »
I think we all can agree that NCsoft is NOT CBS, Disney, Blizzard, or even why should we care...

Then I wish you the best of luck retreading what everyone has already discussed countless times in the last three years.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 01:09:22 AM by Tahquitz »
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

Doc Artz

• Lieutenant
    • Behance
« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2016, 07:25:14 PM »
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 01:00:28 AM by Doc Artz »
Doc Artz

Doc Artz

• Lieutenant
    • Behance
« Reply #52 on: June 11, 2016, 01:28:55 AM »
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 01:34:27 AM by Doc Artz »
Doc Artz

Surelle

« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2017, 04:48:20 PM »
Tabula Rasa was also abandoned. NCsoft hit them with a Cease & Desist order regardless. We know what they would do, because they've already done it.

Hey, I googled Infinite Rasa the other day, and as of late last fall and early 2017, work is being done on it again.  I don't play on emus, but I thought that was interesting.  Ya can't keep a good team down!

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #54 on: April 09, 2017, 04:20:06 PM »
I was under the impression that the successors (other than Atlas Park Revival) had turned down that option, as they have already invested a lot of time into creating their own IP. I thought the IP was so that CoH 2 could be made, or so that other media (other types of games, books, etc.) could be used.
I know this is old but I hadn't seen it.

For the record, CoT is not against integrating the CoH lore were it to become available. Of course the devil is in the details.

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2017, 04:22:42 PM »
Look at Deadpool (Marvel) and Deathstroke (DC). Deadpool was clearly based on Deathstroke, from his fighting style, healing powers, elements of his costume, even down to real name (Wade Wilson vs Slade Wilson). This is pretty damn close to copyright infringement, but there are enough differences to keep it from being so, therefore it is legal. If people wanted to make games LIKE CoH, but NOT CoH, they could. This is the same kind of thing you are talking about with Samsung vs Apple
If you are seeking this, we have that already, a few of them in fact, under development:

City of Titans
Heroes and Villains
Valiance Online
Ship of Heroes

Doc Artz

• Lieutenant
    • Behance
« Reply #56 on: January 19, 2018, 07:53:29 PM »
Doc Artz

Sakura Tenshi

• Minion
« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2018, 07:10:19 AM »
Not to say I agree with him entirely, but just what all are we missing exactly serverside? I mean we get a lot of info just from what we have client side but I am sure there's a lot of hidden bits and pieces. As a side note: I'd kill for icon to just turn various powers into some kind of emote triggers so we can 'use our powers' even if it all it does is play the animations.

that said, I'm gonna do my usual and step into fantasy realm: I think if I had the time, the resources, and talent to rebuild City of Heroes... I'd keep it a kind of secret club private server. Not because I fear NCsoft's legal action, but because i'd probably change a lot of things that probably wouldn't be popular with folks. Things like changing city zones, instanced mission maps, and old story content up by... A lot. Rolling back the story to before statesman's death, possibly cut down on several blueside zones to instead focus on a well-developed version of individual zones with their own art styles. Changes to various powers (goodbye Oni pet, hello;, Kunoichi. Also: say hello to alternative power selections.) and leveling (more slots, more powers, more ways to be borken), change or alter the story in several places, alter enemy level lists and powers, blatantly insert several points related to my old RP group into the game (Carnival of light camp in Founders, the CCCP base in Kings Row, RPC mission contacts and special taskforces)

I think the only thing no one would complain about would be more costume options and more AE options.

Felderburg

• Elite Boss
« Reply #58 on: February 01, 2018, 07:17:39 AM »
As a side note: I'd kill for icon to just turn various powers into some kind of emote triggers so we can 'use our powers' even if it all it does is play the animations.

I think one of these threads may be what you're looking for:

https://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php?topic=12106.msg208795

https://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php?topic=12133.msg213694

I don't really understand the full mechanics, but I guess the game auto shoots powers (once you figure out how to get *those* working) at wherever 0,0,0 coordinates are on the map, and the first one fixes that. The second one is way more than just animations, but that's part of it (I think).

primeknight

• Boss
« Reply #59 on: February 09, 2018, 01:09:28 AM »
Not to say I agree with him entirely, but just what all are we missing exactly serverside? I mean we get a lot of info just from what we have client side but I am sure there's a lot of hidden bits and pieces. As a side note: I'd kill for icon to just turn various powers into some kind of emote triggers so we can 'use our powers' even if it all it does is play the animations.

that said, I'm gonna do my usual and step into fantasy realm: I think if I had the time, the resources, and talent to rebuild City of Heroes... I'd keep it a kind of secret club private server. Not because I fear NCsoft's legal action, but because i'd probably change a lot of things that probably wouldn't be popular with folks. Things like changing city zones, instanced mission maps, and old story content up by... A lot. Rolling back the story to before statesman's death, possibly cut down on several blueside zones to instead focus on a well-developed version of individual zones with their own art styles. Changes to various powers (goodbye Oni pet, hello;, Kunoichi. Also: say hello to alternative power selections.) and leveling (more slots, more powers, more ways to be borken), change or alter the story in several places, alter enemy level lists and powers, blatantly insert several points related to my old RP group into the game (Carnival of light camp in Founders, the CCCP base in Kings Row, RPC mission contacts and special taskforces)

I think the only thing no one would complain about would be more costume options and more AE options.

I've wondered how much NCSoft was ok with the symbol of City of Heroes being permanently killed off and how Paragon Studio was so adamant to keep it that way.

When I heard about that, that was the straw that got me to stop paying for a subscription, after not playing for probably 6 months.  I wanted to support the game even if I didn't have time to play.  Then literally the next month after I stopped paying, the studio was shut down and the game went into sunset. 

I played those last 3 months every day, although a little sore from the lack of Statesman and no way to access my incarnate powers.

While I think in general, Paragon Studios was wonderful in so many ways and made the game great I think they people had their flaws too.  I have a feeling that they got bored of the world they created and felt the overwhelming need to change things up: like Statesman, Sister Psych, and Galaxy City.  And those 3 things, I felt, were going too far.   

I heard that any possible sale of the IP would require the new owner from disallowing some of Paragon Studios from being apart of the resurrected game. 

Although to get back on topic:
Please can I play my Mind/Kin again, and maybe my Claws/SR...and maybe 5 to 10 others, or 20 or all?  Please?  And without having to start over from level 1.  I won't let my subscription lapse again.  Please?