Author Topic: Holy sh*t moment  (Read 33401 times)

GenericHero05

• New Efforts # 7,000!
  • Boss
Holy sh*t moment
« on: June 21, 2015, 01:31:38 AM »
For me there were dozens but I'll list two so as not to take away from someone else.

1.  When rag doll first came into being. I killed a Skull while he was on the first level of a fire escape and he fell over the side but ended up hanging upside down by one leg slightly swinging from side to side.

2.  When they decided to do away with the 5th Column, I remember going through Steel Canyon and out of nowhere a battle started between about 30 5th Column soldiers and 30 Council soldiers.  There must have been about 20 heroes standing a short distance away just watching the battle. It was amazing.
If I was a Jedi, there's a 100% chance that I'd use The Force inappropriately.

Blackout

• "That guy"
  • Boss
Re: Holy sh*t moment
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2015, 12:35:01 PM »
Fighting Reichsman for the first time and only time ^^
FOURTY MINUTES beating him up until he finally went down
(You can probably tell that I don't do many taskforces or raids :P)

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2015, 01:48:39 PM »
Logging in a brand new character for some Atlas park street sweeping only to find a full on war going on in the streets. It was Council vs. Fifth Column if memory serves.
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

Brightfires

• Elite Boss
  • ... is *NOT* Groot
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2015, 10:54:24 PM »
For me, it was the first time I took Palrah (my favorite tank and blue-side "main"-), threw him into the middle of a huge group of goons and not only had him survive it himself, but hold the attention of the entire lot well enough to keep any of the people with him from coming to any harm.

I don't even remember now who else was on the team, or what we were running... It wasn't particularly high level, so one of the mid-level TFs most likely... but I do remember that moment absolutely cementing my love for tanks in general, and my affection for Pally in particular. I remember giggling, and FCM grinning and saying, "I told you this was fun."

It really was.  8)
Taker of screenshots. Player of bird-things.

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 03:38:42 AM »
When after about 6 months I leveled my Brawl Only Brute (Brawling Humiliator) to 50 in DA. 

Also, I beat The Honoree and his cohort all my my lonesome with Brawl.

And then I soloed a +3EB Chimera.  That took about 40 minutes of doing.  And THAT was the one thing where I was all "HOLY CRAP HE DID IT."  'Cause it was *hard*, I tell ya.  And I didn't expire either, which I thought was pretty nifty.

He never did solo a pylon though.  Ah well.

Steelhelm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2015, 04:28:07 AM »
First entering the Shadow Shard. The sheer size of the place astounded me. And the whole zone looked cool. Especially the Storm Palace.

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2015, 02:01:53 PM »
For me there were dozens but I'll list two so as not to take away from someone else.

1.  When rag doll first came into being. I killed a Skull while he was on the first level of a fire escape and he fell over the side but ended up hanging upside down by one leg slightly swinging from side to side.

2.  When they decided to do away with the 5th Column, I remember going through Steel Canyon and out of nowhere a battle started between about 30 5th Column soldiers and 30 Council soldiers.  There must have been about 20 heroes standing a short distance away just watching the battle. It was amazing.

I loved the ragdoll addition. People that didn't play from the start don't realize how boring it was when someone was defeated, they just fell down like a Barbie doll, arms at the side and no movement.

The 5th Column was around the time they had just started the Kheldians, or maybe it was on the test server, but I remember using my Peace Bringer in those fights.

One of mine was the first time I fought the Freakshow, and a few of them rezzed after I killed them. I was like "WTF??". LOL

Turgenev

• Underling
  • Dead, but forever dreaming.
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2015, 02:54:43 PM »
Pre-Issue 9 Yellow Dawn.

Very few games make me push out my chair from my desk, stand up, arms akimbo, and glare at a computer screen. XD

[Broadcast] Dr. Turgenev: ...well, THAT happened.
"Remember. You CHOSE this death." - Lucifer

RGladden

• Boss
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2015, 03:57:24 PM »
After 6 years or more of playing CoH there are too many examples of the "Holy ----" moments to go through for me to present them here.  So I'll mention only one.  Please forgive the length, for I have a tendency to be verbose.

Troll Mission, in an abandoned office building, don't remember the name of it.  I'm playing an invulnerable/broadsword scrapper Celtic warrior with bare, tattooed upper torso and kilt named Asteryx.  The team had just cleared the first floor, taken the elevator up to the second, and come down a hallway to an opening;  u-shaped bend to the right, open doorway to the left that led to a staircase that you could take to the landing above.  A walkway led from the landing across the u-shaped bend on the right.  The team had just engaged the first group of trolls near the bend when some dimwit ran up the stairs on our left, bumped full into at least two groups of trolls on the landing, jumped down from it into another group on the back side of the u-bend and led them ALL back to the group.  Everybody died.

Except Asteryx.  I had popped a purple chiclet and a green when I saw that mob round the bend and was flailing away, surrounded by a sea of enemies.  I was cursing the nitwit who was getting us all killed when I noticed a bunch of chiclets starting to appear in my tray.  I happened to be standing on top of one of the team's female characters, and she was feeding me purples and greens and whatever else she had.  So I fought and spammed multiple-target attacks for about 5 minutes.  By the time the team members returned from the hospital almost all of the trolls were dead.  The most memorable experience I ever had in the game.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 06:31:13 PM by RGladden »

Minotaur

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2015, 04:50:46 PM »
Playing my stone/axe tank and signature toon Mr Minotaur. Lab room of death (the one with the ramp from ground floor to mezzanine and a balcony above) full of nemesis, 3 fake nems, 50+ jaegers, snipers, the works pre aggro caps. Rumble up the ramp, pull the whole room, too many people decide that getting close is a good idea, blow up 20 jaegers and die, so it's me fighting the lot, and still fighting the remnants when people run back from the hospital and up 3 floors of lab.

GenericHero05

• New Efforts # 7,000!
  • Boss
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2015, 10:59:39 PM »
One of mine was the first time I fought the Freakshow, and a few of them rezzed after I killed them. I was like "WTF??". LOL

I soiled my armor when that happened.
If I was a Jedi, there's a 100% chance that I'd use The Force inappropriately.

SerialBeggar

• Elite Boss
    • Serial Beggar
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2015, 12:15:45 AM »
C'mon!  Everyone's heart skipped a beat the first time a Fifth Column guy transformed into a werewolf.
Teams are the number one killers of Soloists.

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2015, 12:30:40 AM »
Pre-Issue 9 Yellow Dawn.

Very few games make me push out my chair from my desk, stand up, arms akimbo, and glare at a computer screen. XD

[Broadcast] Dr. Turgenev: ...well, THAT happened.

Not my first Jumpin Jehosaphat moment, but I'm right there with ya.

Of course, in my case, I caused it by trying to do a group rez just as the targeter was tabing to a new target and I hit Hami... I was so PO'd and embarrassed I hit the debt cap trying to get ppl up... I was such a n00b. 
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

KabaI

• Underling
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2015, 05:47:20 PM »
I was teamed up with another player while running my Invul/SS tanker who may have had an unauthorized costume that he only used in missions (Im sure people could figure out who the short haired, square jawed specimen dressed all in blue, with a red cape, red underwear and boots and a golden belt was meant to be).

We were down in the CoT tunnels, and had gotten split up. I noticed that his health was dropping quite rapidly, and a string of inspirations popping up next to his name but it was too much for him, and he fell defeated. I hit fly, and swooped through the tunnels to get to his side, and held everyone's attention to give him time to pop a Rez.

While swinging my fists at the various foes, I see a message from my teammate saying 'I've waited my entire life to see (famous fictional alien and saviour of mankind) swoop in and save me'. It honestly choked me up, and is just one of the many reason I lament the passing of this game.

ricodah

• Boss
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2015, 07:34:12 PM »
I came late to a Rikti Raid with an SD/SS Tank, fully IO'd to the build I wanted and needed to test it out.  All the pylons were already defeated and several bombs planted.  The raid group was planting more bombs when I noticed the GM had already spawned so I decided to jump in.  After the bombs were done, the raid noticed I was in center and they just stood on the edge waiting for instruction from the raid organizer.  The organizer broadcasted that I'm ruining the raid and to wait for me to die.  A minute passed, two minutes, three minutes, maybe four minutes and I'm still in the center Foot Stomping, Fire Balling and Shield Charging away, swallowing a medium purple inspira each minute that passed.  Players got bored, one spoke up and said "Are we going to let this guy have all the glory?" which seem to have burst a dam as the center became flooded with heroes/villains.  A few seconds after that, "Ok, everyone attack!" was broadcasted by the organizer.  I received a lot of tells congratulating me for holding center and requests to share my build which I happily did.

MaidMercury

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2015, 02:59:13 AM »
I suppose my um, 'holy #@! moment was when I first started playing the game.  ???

..I was exploring, looking around and very taken back at all the Giant statues in Paragon. :o
I would run up to each one and read plaques. I liked the back stories.

Then as a noob,  I was running on the tram tracks....true, bit childish. However, I hadn't really played an MMO game before
and the graphics was stunning to me. I was use to 1999 era games.

This game was interesting even if you didn't Team or battle. I enjoyed being a Healer and found that very much a challenge.
Kind of like trying to lead a group of kids through a field trip, making sure you kept an eye on each one so they didn't get hurt   ;D
while others did the dirty work of combating evil. :roll:

Teikiatsu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2015, 11:16:15 AM »
I came into the game around the time i2 was released.  I was wandering around Galaxy City when suddenly I'm facing down a floating eyeball that just bit another hero.  I had blundered into the Rularuu Invasion Event, and it was awesome!  I'd always hoped they would bring those invasions back.

Runner up would be the thrill of surviving a run through the Hollows pit on a L5 toon without travel powers.  Lots of Yike!, Doh!, Crap!, AAahhhhh! etc.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 02:40:43 AM by Teikiatsu »
Virtue Server - Main: Midnight Lightning Dark/Elec/Psi Defender

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfKUPgy_xH8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EitO6Wq_9A

Floride

• Elite Boss
  • Badgehunter Extraordinaire
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2015, 03:48:47 PM »
My first Holy sh*t moment was kinda standard - I finished and exitied a mission, started chatting with some friends asking for help on their mish, and BOOM, I was dead.

me: "OMGOMGOMG!!! Guys, I think I just got one-shotted by a dev! You gotta see this thing!"
my friend in another zone: "Flo, is it a huge white robot?"
me " Yes! Did he get you guys too?"
History shows again and again
How nature points out the folly of men

MaidMercury

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2015, 10:55:31 PM »
I came into the came around the time i2 was released.  I was wandering around Galaxy City when suddenly I'm facing down a floating eyeball that just bit another hero.

yezz.....that eyeball freaked me out, too, now that you brought it up. ;D

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2015, 12:40:10 AM »
For me, it was when I wound up standing next to the tram restroom and heard 'toilet flushing and gassy emissions' sounds coming from it...I laughed for so long.
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.