Author Topic: Things in the game that really made no sense.  (Read 25028 times)

Vee

• Elite Boss
Re: Things in the game that really made no sense.
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2015, 09:54:24 PM »
i always meant to draw up the layout of each floor of one of the bigger buildings and see what it would look like from the outside, but i'm too lazy. i have to imagine it'd take some miraculous engineering feats for some of those buildings though.

Inc42

• Boss
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2015, 12:14:20 AM »
i always meant to draw up the layout of each floor of one of the bigger buildings and see what it would look like from the outside, but i'm too lazy. i have to imagine it'd take some miraculous engineering feats for some of those buildings though.

I actually vaguely remember seeing someone having done this years ago, but I have no idea where. I remember it being based on a map where there were no "decorative" doors that could not be clicked, so every wall and hallway was taken very literally, on the outside it was just a huge jumbled mess.

Another thought along the same lines, all the buildings in the game had only one-way windows...as in the windows ONLY existed on the outside of the building, with the exceptions of the AE buildings, Recluse's tower, and Wentworth's.

Castegyre

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2015, 04:12:34 PM »
I remember more than once entering a building and thinking to myself that there is no way the layout of this map could fit in the size of building I just entered.

I also always wondered why people using Super Jump didn't crash through the roof of the buildings they were landing on from time to time.

And then there is the chronic neck problems everyone seemed to suffer from that kept the enemies from looking up.

Relitner

• Boss
  • ree-LITE-ner
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2015, 05:31:33 PM »
Why do I need to get on a train? I run/fly/jump/teleport ten times faster than it.
I can stand toe-to-toe with Nemesis, but I can't push through bushes in Perez Park?
The body of every vehicle is coated with an amazing frictionless surface.
in nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti amen

Inc42

• Boss
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2015, 05:58:17 PM »
What kind of property value does Paragon City/Rogue Isles have if EVERYONE lives in an apartment building? Even New York City has houses.

On the subject of apartment buildings, why were every single one of them fire proof with the exception of 4 or 5 in Steel Canyon? Come to think of it all the flammable ones were identical, remind me to never hire that contractor :P

Garble

• Boss
  • Shy Weirdo
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2015, 10:47:27 PM »
The architecture inside the office buildings clearly being designed by a mad man. How practical is it to go up an elevator, walk through long winding halls, up some stairs, down some stairs, and finally get to the next elevator? And HOPE that is the one that you need?

Paragon City could win an award for ADA non-compliance. Friggin stairways everywhere.

What kind of property value does Paragon City/Rogue Isles have if EVERYONE lives in an apartment building? Even New York City has houses.

What does it do to the property values to have criminals and monsters on every corner? Think of all the potentially lethal dangers you'd drive by if you had even a 15 minute commute.

Heroette

• Elite Boss
  • Penelope Pistol lives forever in my heart.
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2015, 10:49:56 PM »
There are trucks in town but people in Kings Row feel the need to carry big pieces of lumber on their shoulders.

Inc42

• Boss
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2015, 11:16:20 PM »
What does it do to the property values to have criminals and monsters on every corner?

Fair point. xD

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2015, 04:42:01 AM »
putting landmarks to heroes and historic events in inaccessible places like the fifth story window sill of a building in kings row
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2015, 03:07:40 PM »
putting landmarks to heroes and historic events in inaccessible places like the fifth story window sill of a building in kings row

Posi says in the Lore AMA that he placed exploration badges because of something interesting nearby: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted#221

Quote from: Positron
Badges were never random. There was always some interesting vista, view, or point of interest nearby that story was crafted around. (I placed all the exploration badges for the original CoH zones)

Although this is contradicted by an earlier question, where he says he wrote them, but the placement was determined by someone else: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted#58

Quote from: Positron
For any badge before Issue 6, I made it up off the top of my head when I went to the location that someone had picked to place a badge. What you see is all there is.

Either way, I never considered exploration badges to be "official" Paragon City stuff. It's not like anyone is going to remember, let alone mark, where Synapse met Mynx for the first time. As I recall, most of the actual statues or plaques were in reasonably normal places.

Edit: Maybe it's not contradictory: maybe someone said "place a badge in this general area" and he went there, picked a nifty spot in that general area, and wrote the text.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 03:13:17 PM by Felderburg »
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2015, 07:21:33 PM »
When security level by zone mattered, I found it curious that you found civilians in higher level zones.

I mean, why would it be that my 20th level super-duper dude couldn't get into PI, but it was populated with non-powered joe-schmoes?
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

Inc42

• Boss
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2015, 09:07:57 PM »
Those were secret identify civilian disguises ;)

I don't remember PI ever having a level restriction, most of the level based zones were not civilian friendly except maybe Striga.

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2015, 09:21:40 PM »
Those were secret identify civilian disguises ;)

I don't remember PI ever having a level restriction, most of the level based zones were not civilian friendly except maybe Striga.

Could be I'm mistaken, yet the point is how do the regular 0-lvl joe's live in/survive in a non-hazard zone, when a suped-up- Johnny like me can't get to the bus without being dog-piled and sent to the hospital?

Course, I do like the secret id's explanation.  :D
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

Floride

• Elite Boss
  • Badgehunter Extraordinaire
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2015, 12:04:31 AM »
... Another thought along the same lines, all the buildings in the game had only one-way windows...as in the windows ONLY existed on the outside of the building, with the exceptions of the AE buildings, Recluse's tower, and Wentworth's.
And the Arboretum in Atlas
History shows again and again
How nature points out the folly of men

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2015, 04:27:18 AM »
I remember that fake superhero NPC in the revamped Atlas Park, Super Guy.  He'd run from the bad guys outside of City Hall to get to the hospital in the courtyard south of there, then stop at the wall, melt through the ground torso-deep, then fall completely into the sidewalk.

Turned out he really was a Super Guy.  I want to be able to pass through solid matter, too.
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

Inc42

• Boss
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2015, 06:37:13 PM »
I remember that fake superhero NPC in the revamped Atlas Park, Super Guy.  He'd run from the bad guys outside of City Hall to get to the hospital in the courtyard south of there, then stop at the wall, melt through the ground torso-deep, then fall completely into the sidewalk.

Turned out he really was a Super Guy.  I want to be able to pass through solid matter, too.

Phasing was a power set I always wanted and never could figure out why we didn't get. It's an obvious one, many big comic characters have had it for years. The best I could come up with was that they didnt want to explain how you could phase through bad guys, bullets, and all that but not a bus stop.

Felderburg

• Elite Boss
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2015, 06:58:56 PM »

Wait what?
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2015, 08:20:32 PM »
Wait what?
there was this green superhero with a cape who spawned on the north or east side parking lot of city hall, talking on his cellphone, if you aggro'd a group of enemies near him, he'd make some excuse into the phone he was talking on, and then run away towards the hospital.
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

Felderburg

• Elite Boss
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2015, 10:30:35 PM »
there was this green superhero with a cape who spawned on the north or east side parking lot of city hall, talking on his cellphone, if you aggro'd a group of enemies near him, he'd make some excuse into the phone he was talking on, and then run away towards the hospital.

My goodness! I never saw him (as I recall). He's not in the wiki (as far as I can tell). We must add him!

Shenku

• Elite Boss
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2015, 11:19:44 PM »
My goodness! I never saw him (as I recall). He's not in the wiki (as far as I can tell). We must add him!

I lurked in Atlas all the time, and I don't remember ever seeing him either! :o

Personally the thing that never made sense to me was attacking people with swords, giant mallets, throwing knives, and any number of other potentially lethal weapons(not to mention powers like fire...), and every single (living) enemy was only ever "defeated", but never killed. (Inanimate objects, such as robots, Clockwork, or zombies don't count, although technically the combat log always said "defeated" for them too...)

"I'm just gonna stab you several dozen times in the chest with these foot long claws sticking out of my hand; I'm sure you won't bleed out and/or die before you get teleported to the hospital..."

I swear, every fight ever in City of Heroes is like this video here...