Author Topic: Avengers: Age of Ultron (spoilers)  (Read 17242 times)

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
Re: Avengers: Age of Ultron (spoilers)
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2015, 12:37:52 AM »
The climactic fight scene shows why Marvel just fucking gets it and DC does not. Comic Book Movies are supposed to make us WANT to put on a cape and save the world; not to gaze at our navels and mope about how daddy told us to let all our classmates die and then got sucked up in a twister. The end sequence where they were backed up around the ultimate macguffin felt like a live-action comic splash page. by comparison, the sequences in DC's last few attempts were gratuitous effects-wank.

was there a scene after credits? I only got to see the one featuring you know who putting on his you know what.
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2015, 01:09:24 AM »
Nope, no second stinger. Just a screen saying "The Avengers will return."

Inc42

• Boss
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2015, 03:26:24 AM »

Was veeeery disappointed in that. Especially because I had predicted what it would be.

Spoiler for Hidden:
The last scene before the stinger was Captain America talking to new Avenger trainees, and he says "Alright, Avengers-" and gets cut off. I expected a second stinger where he finishes the catch phrase with an "Assemble".

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2015, 12:56:46 PM »
The climactic fight scene shows why Marvel just pancaking gets it and DC does not. Comic Book Movies are supposed to make us WANT to put on a cape and save the world; not to gaze at our navels and mope about how daddy told us to let all our classmates die and then got sucked up in a twister. The end sequence where they were backed up around the ultimate macguffin felt like a live-action comic splash page. by comparison, the sequences in DC's last few attempts were gratuitous effects-wank.

was there a scene after credits? I only got to see the one featuring you know who putting on his you know what.

Exactly - the Marvel films feel like comic book films where the DC stuff are films that just happen to have comic book heroes.

Though Man of Steel I liked - that felt more like a Marvel type film to me, for the most part.

And the fact they had him kill Zod - that was very bold and in the context of the story it worked.

hurple

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2015, 07:07:35 PM »
Though Man of Steel I liked - that felt more like a Marvel type film to me, for the most part.

And the fact they had him kill Zod - that was very bold and in the context of the story it worked.

Eh.  i just re-watched that movie, and it just does not sit all that well with me.  Not exactly sure on why, but it just seems... off.

However, I will back you up on the killing of Zod.  In the context, it fit.  plus, in the comics, Superman has killed Zod in past stories.  And it's not like he killed him, then stood up and laughingly skipped away.  It caused him considerable anguish. 

I agree with the post above that says Marvel get it and DC doesn't (in regards to films).  DC is doing TV right, though.  It's a big mistake for them to keep their TV and movie universes separate.  They should throw the TV Arrow and Flash in the next set of movies.  Just cameos, like War Machine and Falcon in Age of Ultron. 

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2015, 02:04:51 AM »
Eh.  i just re-watched that movie, and it just does not sit all that well with me.  Not exactly sure on why, but it just seems... off.

However, I will back you up on the killing of Zod.  In the context, it fit.  plus, in the comics, Superman has killed Zod in past stories.  And it's not like he killed him, then stood up and laughingly skipped away.  It caused him considerable anguish. 

I agree with the post above that says Marvel get it and DC doesn't (in regards to films).  DC is doing TV right, though.  It's a big mistake for them to keep their TV and movie universes separate.  They should throw the TV Arrow and Flash in the next set of movies.  Just cameos, like War Machine and Falcon in Age of Ultron.
I could go on at length about what was wrong with Man of Steel. But it boils down to this... they took a character who, for 70 years, was a bastion of truth, justice, etc; an upstanding paragon and the literal big blue boyscout, and transformed it into a navel-gazing self-centered and self-important whiny brat of a superhuman because, well, that's how he's written in a lot of the current DC new 52. Basically, they listened to all those comic book readers who claim superman is boring, and tried to make hum... unboring to that particular section of the audience. They also tried to make a batman movie using superman; see this for explanations of why.

I do agree, that what they did with Zod was brilliant. Raising him up from being a bog-standard megalomaniac to being someone who was genetically predesigned to be a warmonger incapable of seeing that what he was saying was not right was a great idea in a movie full of otherwise bad and recycled ideas. that and the kryptonian sequence are really the only parts of that movie that work for me. (the two minute scene where clark talks to the priest is effective too, but it is quickly drowned by the surrounding scenes)
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

Shenku

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2015, 02:46:59 AM »
I could go on at length about what was wrong with Man of Steel. But it boils down to this... they took a character who, for 70 years, was a bastion of truth, justice, etc; an upstanding paragon and the literal big blue boyscout, and transformed it into a navel-gazing self-centered and self-important whiny brat of a superhuman because, well, that's how he's written in a lot of the current DC new 52. Basically, they listened to all those comic book readers who claim superman is boring, and tried to make hum... unboring to that particular section of the audience. They also tried to make a batman movie using superman; see this for explanations of why.

I do agree, that what they did with Zod was brilliant. Raising him up from being a bog-standard megalomaniac to being someone who was genetically predesigned to be a warmonger incapable of seeing that what he was saying was not right was a great idea in a movie full of otherwise bad and recycled ideas. that and the kryptonian sequence are really the only parts of that movie that work for me. (the two minute scene where clark talks to the priest is effective too, but it is quickly drowned by the surrounding scenes)

I have to say I agree with most of what you're saying, but personally, I'm still conflicted with the way in which he killed Zod... It felt off, and somewhat forced even, to me anyways.

Sure it made sense in the context of the movie and that particular scene, but years of knowing Superman's "there has to be another way" mentality (particularly well showcased in the movie, Superman vs. the Elite, where he somewhat agonizes over how to deal with them without lowering himself to their level by killing Manchester Black and company), makes me feel that he probably could have, and maybe even should have, tried to find some other way short of killing Zod to incapacitate him.

Granted, I haven't really read any of the comics(except for the infamous Doomsday arc... Warning, Mild language, and very funny, may not be work safe!), let alone the new 52 stuff(which every thing I hear makes me kind of not want to lately...), so my perspective might not be as well informed as yours...

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2015, 02:53:13 AM »

Theater workers tried to get everyone to leave by telling us that (so did Joss but ...).  Someone shouted back that we just wanted to acknowledge all the people who worked on it ... and wait for the bathrooms to empty.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Night-Hawk07

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2015, 03:02:30 AM »
Granted, I haven't really read any of the comics(except for the infamous Doomsday arc... Warning, Mild language, and very funny, may not be work safe!), let alone the new 52 stuff(which every thing I hear makes me kind of not want to lately...), so my perspective might not be as well informed as yours...

"Language!"

...sorry, I couldn't help it.

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2015, 04:19:24 AM »
Theater workers tried to get everyone to leave by telling us that (so did Joss but ...).  Someone shouted back that we just wanted to acknowledge all the people who worked on it ... and wait for the bathrooms to empty.
yeah bathrooms were a serious issue at our theater, I had to go once, my dad twice, and there was always a line. it was more like a night at a baseball game than at the movies.
-Lex Luthor

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2015, 02:01:06 AM »
Damn Agents of Shield - they spoiled the movie for me!

Now I know Ultron was defeated and the Avengers won...

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2015, 05:16:10 AM »

What bugs me about the movie is that neither Zod nor Kal tumble to the idea, "Hey, there is more than one planet in this solar system. Oh lookie, a red rock not too far from here. Humans call it 'Mars'? But they're not using it? Lets terra-form that."

But no, cuz peacefully settling this easily acquired resource and never being heard from again doesn't sell as many tickets as massive destruction and murder. Go figure.

It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2015, 08:40:00 AM »
Just got back from it. Thoroughly enjoyed myself, although I wasn't expecting anything less. Spader was perfect (no surprise). The old crew were perfect (no surprise). The two newbies were great (they'll grow into it). I saw it in 2D and don't think there's anything I needed to see in 3D - which is refreshing, as most movies are putting stuff in to make 3D viewing the optimal experience.

Not really interested in the whole Bruce/Natasha thing, because their personalities, interests, etc., are basically diametrically at odds with one another. Opposites attract and all that, but this isn't "apples and oranges"...this is like apples and... and... toasters.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2015, 11:34:52 AM »
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Inc42

• Boss
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2015, 05:16:45 PM »
So anyone follow the Twitter drama that Joss Whedon was hit with? TONS of hate, death threats, all kinds of horribleness because of the movie that lead to him quitting Twitter altogether.

Spoiler for Hidden:
Some people were apparently super upset that Quicksilver was killed off so soon, but for the most part it was a result of Widow. People taking the seeing herself as a monster because of how she was trained (which including her being sterilized) as any infertile woman being a monster.

I certainly did not see the scene like that, and was curious if anyone else felt like that at all when they saw it.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2015, 06:44:50 PM »
My husband thinks the Quicksilver thing is a big middle finger to Fox, who basically 'rented' the rights for this movie to Marvel. "Thanks for that! Now we have Scarlet Witch, suckas!"

Also, I think the Black Widow scene was acknowledgement between two people who see themselves as monsters (and the world sees as monsters, in the right context), but are trying to not be. She never said "I can't be a mom so I'm a monster" - she basically said she's a monster because she killed (and occasionally still does kill) people...that was/is her job...and she did/does it *really* well. That she couldn't get pregnant made it easier to be really good at her job of being a monster.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2015, 09:06:35 PM »
the black widow sequence was wildly more complex than the social justice warriors on twitter want to claim it was. and that bugs them, so they have to shout down anyone who would point it out, including the fucking creators of the material, in order to maintain the momentum of their twisted talking points.
-Lex Luthor

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2015, 09:38:44 PM »
Bruce said he can't have kids - I'm guessing the gamma radiation - all she said was she was sterilized as part of the process so she cant have kids either. That's all I saw in that part. The monster comment had nothing to do with kids - it was about her training.

People just want to read into things what they want to hear.

tripthicket

• Lieutenant
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2015, 11:10:55 PM »
Natasha talked about the sterilization as another step in the process of making her a stone-cold 24/7 spy/assassin. I forgot the exact phrasing, but it was something about "it not getting in the way (or being a factor), thus making her more efficient." I don't think the words directly said this, but somehow I got the impression that not only did they remove the possibility of distraction from being a weapon (made her unable to bear children), but even menstruation was considered a hindrance, thus it was ruthlessly eliminated as part of the larger picture.

It struck me during the final battle, weaving in and out of the action, heroes and villains clashing all over the place, that this was kind of a live-action, 3D representation of all those crowd fights that George Perez drew once upon a time. I'm thinking mainly of the DC heroes vs Marvel heroes poster. Don't think that was the intent, but having that interpretation occur to me heightened my enjoyment of that battle.

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2015, 11:57:30 PM »
yes, the final action sequences were pretty much living splash pages by design.
-Lex Luthor