Author Topic: City of Heroes 1.5  (Read 36883 times)

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
Re: City of Heroes 1.5
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2015, 01:08:17 AM »
...Can we please just call it City of Heroes 2. Pretty pretty please?  :-[

That's another trademark ncsoft is holding hostage.

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2015, 02:48:17 PM »
That's another trademark ncsoft is holding hostage.

Actually what became Champions Online was going to be called COH 2.

They were working on improvements and maybe a new game engine when Cryptic and NCSoft split up - Cryptic took what they were working on and made it Champions.

At least that is what I read someplace a few years ago.

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2015, 02:52:30 PM »
I have a great of deal of respect and gratitude for what Irish Girl is doing, but I'd be extremely hesitant with changes.  While people might see changes that they feel certain would improve the game, it could be hard to predict the actual impact on the game.  Depending on exactly what the future of the game is going to look like, I would keep any alterations from I24 as small as possible until there is a well-established team and procedure in place for evaluating potential updates.

The problem here is getting 1,000's of people to decide on what the feel is best in the game. And that's just impossible.

Better if the game was brought back basically as is and then work on changes / improvements just as before.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2015, 04:44:48 PM »
Actually what became Champions Online was going to be called COH 2.

They were working on improvements and maybe a new game engine when Cryptic and NCSoft split up - Cryptic took what they were working on and made it Champions.

At least that is what I read someplace a few years ago.

Actually it was a Marvel game before they got screwed over by Marvel and so had to make it champions.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2015, 12:27:35 AM »
Actually it was a Marvel game before they got screwed over by Marvel and so had to make it champions.

Never heard that part of it. I know they were working something for Marvel but thought it was cancelled completely.

Ultimate15

• Boss
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2015, 03:56:21 AM »
City of Heroes 1.5 sounds kinda amateur-ish, I think. There's just something far more formal and 'official' with City of Heroes 2. It would be more marketabley recognize - if titled that way- as an advanced version/sequel to the franchise, too. Just saying.

BUT I DIGRESS. The ONLIEST things I'd like to see added to the game once it's ported to Unreal 4 is:

1. Blinking. I want people to blink. Also, five separate fingers per hand would be nice?

2. Banking left or banking right when you're flying when you turn left, or turn right.

3. A statue for Ascendant somewhere might be cool.

All that other stuff - the play style, the TF's, the builds and the IO's, the zones, the theme/lore, the music - just don't take any of the original stuff away. Add fun/cool things on all you'd like, but don't try and fix what isn't broken (I think Irishgirl already knows this, fortunately).
Viva la Virtue!

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2015, 03:26:42 PM »
City of Heroes 1.5 sounds kinda amateur-ish, I think. There's just something far more formal and 'official' with City of Heroes 2. It would be more marketabley recognize - if titled that way- as an advanced version/sequel to the franchise, too. Just saying.
BUT I DIGRESS. The ONLIEST things I'd like to see added to the game once it's ported to Unreal 4 is:
1. Blinking. I want people to blink. Also, five separate fingers per hand would be nice?
2. Banking left or banking right when you're flying when you turn left, or turn right.
3. A statue for Ascendant somewhere might be cool.
All that other stuff - the play style, the TF's, the builds and the IO's, the zones, the theme/lore, the music - just don't take any of the original stuff away. Add fun/cool things on all you'd like, but don't try and fix what isn't broken (I think Irishgirl already knows this, fortunately).

"City of Heroes 1.5" isn't' what it's going to be called. I rarely use the term, if ever. You'll usually hear me say "APR", or "Revival". It's a fan term that's managed to gain traction. While APR isn't the final name...it'll do for now.

Characters will indeed blink, and have fingers! Fingers that you can use to do crazy things like point!

As for not removing things, or changing them drastically... I was a rabid player of CoH since all the way back to the beta. I'm a CoHer at heart, and while I want to do cool new things for the game (Adding fingers, coming up with new exciting kinds of missions, etc), and maybe take care of some old gripes... I don't want to turn it into a different game than it was at it's core. I'm not out to build CoH: WoW edition or anything. xD
"Let's get dangerous..."
Lead Developer and Master of Mischief - Revival Project.
Revival website: APR.Pc-Logix.com

OminousVoice

• Underling
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2015, 04:00:40 PM »
...?

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2015, 04:36:28 PM »
...?

Well that's really freaking cool.
"Let's get dangerous..."

Solitaire

• Elite Boss
  • Badge Hunting
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2015, 04:45:41 PM »

RGladden

• Boss
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2015, 06:15:40 PM »

HeatSpike1

• Boss
  • CoH Global: @HeatSpike1
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2015, 12:59:13 AM »

Ultimate15

• Boss
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2015, 03:11:16 AM »
Viva la Virtue!

Cymmetri

• Underling
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2015, 03:27:14 AM »

Microcosm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2015, 05:12:37 AM »
To the market thing, you will always get inflation as long as there is no significant way for inf to leave the system (be destroyed). Pretty much everything you did in the game essentially "printed" money, and only the tiniest amount of it exited circulation. Your sure-fire way to stop inflation/hyperinflation on items was to have an ingame vendor sell absolutely everything you could want for inf. It could be a ridiculously high price so you aren't dictating what the market had to do, but it would keep the market from fluctuating far beyond it, and provide a way for large amounts of inf to be destroyed.

Personally, my main wish would be to make toggles for shapeshifters suppress instead of just drop when they changed form. That was something khelds sorely needed, but the devs claimed was not possible given the original way they were implemented. I've got some other wishes for khelds and stalkers, but that's the biggest one.

RGladden

• Boss
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2015, 04:00:58 PM »
To the market thing, you will always get inflation as long as there is no significant way for inf to leave the system (be destroyed). Pretty much everything you did in the game essentially "printed" money, and only the tiniest amount of it exited circulation. Your sure-fire way to stop inflation/hyperinflation on items was to have an ingame vendor sell absolutely everything you could want for inf. It could be a ridiculously high price so you aren't dictating what the market had to do, but it would keep the market from fluctuating far beyond it, and provide a way for large amounts of inf to be destroyed.

Personally, my main wish would be to make toggles for shapeshifters suppress instead of just drop when they changed form. That was something khelds sorely needed, but the devs claimed was not possible given the original way they were implemented. I've got some other wishes for khelds and stalkers, but that's the biggest one.

The bolded part is spot on.  Because of the way the market system was set up, earned influence never really disappeared, it simply transferred from one player to another, and thus drove prices through the roof.  Farming was never as strong a factor in price creep as did wealth transferance.

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2015, 04:15:58 PM »
So...what you guys are saying is that I need to add new, awesome ways for players to blow their money?
"Let's get dangerous..."

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2015, 05:01:23 PM »
My theory is if you're sitting on more than 2 billion you don't have enough alts.

RGladden

• Boss
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2015, 05:03:34 PM »
So...what you guys are saying is that I need to add new, awesome ways for players to blow their money?

Pretty much.  I'd rather work toward paying a straight price at the market than try to deal with another player who has an IO or salvage that I want who is asking an exorbitant price for them.  I'd like either a set price or more ingame drops to ease the process of acquiring the things needed to upgrade a build.   :)

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2015, 05:06:03 PM »
If I consider the likelihood that nobody will have any inf at all - and will all be starting from scratch - it will take quite a bit of time for one of those special PvP IO enhancers to reach the pre-closure asking price of 1-2 billion inf.

A fellow like me - who labored to get to 100 Billion inf by games end (goal met! I converted it to prestige to make my SG #1, lol) - will restart with zero influence. Yeah, it'll take me a very long time. I think, and I could easily be off - that from level 1-50, not relying on income from the market, a character might earn about 20 million inf.

So, yeah, it will take "most" people a lot of time to earn enough to have any inflation effect. Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it.

If I get a purple - I'll likely be keeping most of them for the next characters I have - not selling them. Because of their rarity, unless they are sold in a store, it's going to take a long time to get a full set.

If memory serves - there was an enhancement changer type thing - I forget what it was called - or even how it was used - but that thing will be used a lot, if it's available.

I honestly wouldn't worry about inflation. Let the market deal with it. Just add a hero equivalent of the IRS. Inflation problem solved, we'd all be taxed on how much inf we earned. And, if we gave some away, we could get a reduction in our taxes. Just like real life!
Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese