Author Topic: City of Heroes 1.5  (Read 36878 times)

RGladden

• Boss
City of Heroes 1.5
« on: March 31, 2015, 01:50:10 AM »
I've been pretty impressed by some of the work being done by Paragon Revival.  If Nate and crew manage to pull off the purchase of CoH's IP, and work goes ahead on Coh 1.5, I would personally like to see the original game ported over pretty well intact.  How do you guys feel about this?  There are some changes, however, that I would like to be made.

I never had much time to run task forces in the original game, so I missed out on some of the accolades that contributed to the survivability and power of a character.  I'd like to see a system introduced that would allow those, like myself, who had limited time to play, to be able to pick up such accolades, without the hard to deal with timed play that made task forces so hard for us to deal with.

And....more IO and salvage drops, to ease market costs.

What changes would you fanatics like to see introduced?

Regards, RGladden (Shuckins)

doc7924

• Elite Boss
Re: City of Heroes 1.5
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 09:20:23 AM »
For me the ideal would be to get the back as it was at shutdown - like nothing happened.

They could always work on improvements and changes while we play the game, just like before.

HeatSpike1

• Boss
  • CoH Global: @HeatSpike1
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 08:54:32 PM »
For me the ideal would be to get the back as it was at shutdown - like nothing happened.

Exactly This. 

HeatSpike1

• Boss
  • CoH Global: @HeatSpike1
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 04:20:54 AM »
I'd like to see a system introduced that would allow those, like myself, who had limited time to play, to be able to pick up such accolades, without the hard to deal with timed play that made task forces so hard for us to deal with.

Those accolades separated the boys from the men so to speak in terms of helping your toon.  With that being said, I think it's worthy that you have to put some effort in order to attain them.  Making them able to be solo'd however would be fine.  So you wouldn't always need to rely on others for the task force commander, but still making you have to put the effort in.

And....more IO and salvage drops, to ease market costs.

Yeah I agree... the inflation rate in the Paragon economy was just through the roof.  I'm all for the best enhances/recipes being more expensive but as many players as we have in our community suffering from altoholics... It would be nice to be able to build those alts up and slot them out before turning 91.  ;)

ZoeyLovecraft90

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 05:34:36 AM »
Everything before issue 18
Things were becoming sort of silly..
Psionic melee... OK :/

Inc42

• Boss
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2015, 12:52:34 PM »
What

Whats wrong with Psionic melee? Not only are there characters like Psylocke out there who do just that, but personally I always found the potential of psionic based characters to be missed. To one degree or another you are getting in people's heads, so why do people need to know you are psionic? Make people think you have different powers, hide your true abilities until they are needed. That's how I approached it, and it makes for interesting story.

It's like in DnD, I once played with a wizard who only took utility spells that made him seem like a rogue, and convinced the party that is exactly what he was. Then one day stuff gets bad and he amazes us all by casting fireball.

GenericHero05

• New Efforts # 7,000!
  • Boss
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2015, 01:59:30 AM »
1. Allow herding
2. Get rid of enhancement diversification
3. Allow my damn Fire/Fire Controller to be able to spawn up to 12 fire imps again

Grant me these 3 wishes and I'll be a very happy camper
If I was a Jedi, there's a 100% chance that I'd use The Force inappropriately.

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2015, 10:50:03 PM »

uhh what?? So no...

Side Switching
Tip Missions
Fixes to TA
Burn fear removed
No flight speed increase
No merged Auction Houses (Heroes/Villains separate markets)
Kinetic Melee
Electric Control
Dual Pistols
Demon Summoning
No fix to Cathedral of Pain trial
No merged transport systems
NO INCARNATES???
No inherent fitness
No alternate power animations
No Issue 21 Powerset proliferation
Dark Control, Dark Affinity, or Dark Assault
No stalker upgrades
Water blast
Nature Affinity
Time Manipulation
Staff fighting
Street Justice
Titan Weapons

Just to name some of the things that happened from issue 18-23... Yeah that would not be as fun to me at all.

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2015, 10:55:54 PM »

1. Meh herding... wouldn't bother me either way
3. Sure but then you give up your containment :)
2. This would create a HUGE issue with the scheduling of the enhancements. All the set IOs would be borked due to their percentages. I have absolutely no issues with ED...and to undo it would create a huge headache when it comes to set IOs. I will take my set bonuses over pre-ED any day. I think had ED and IOs been introduced at the same time less people would have complained as they would have seen the benefits from bonuses etc.

I played pre-ED...and I actually prefer the game post ED (Issue 9 post ED)....

1. Allow herding
2. Get rid of enhancement diversification
3. Allow my damn Fire/Fire Controller to be able to spawn up to 12 fire imps again

Grant me these 3 wishes and I'll be a very happy camper

GenericHero05

• New Efforts # 7,000!
  • Boss
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2015, 02:30:46 AM »
1. Meh herding... wouldn't bother me either way
3. Sure but then you give up your containment :)
2. This would create a HUGE issue with the scheduling of the enhancements. All the set IOs would be borked due to their percentages. I have absolutely no issues with ED...and to undo it would create a huge headache when it comes to set IOs. I will take my set bonuses over pre-ED any day. I think had ED and IOs been introduced at the same time less people would have complained as they would have seen the benefits from bonuses etc.

I played pre-ED...and I actually prefer the game post ED (Issue 9 post ED)....

That's fine but these suggestions were not made for your approval. These are what I want. I couldn't care less about IOs. I never used them although I think I did purchase a set sometime towards the end. I associate ED with alot of negative stuff with CoH. I have friends and teammates who stopped playing because of ED.

I soloed with my fire controller (need to make a correction from my original post, he was fire/force field not fire/fire) and with 12 imps (all 5 slotted with damage and 1 slot with accuracy plus all being bubbled) I was untouchable, didn't care about containment.

Anyway, when CoH comes back, I do plan on giving IOs a shot.

P51mus

• Boss
  • aka Pitho
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2015, 05:49:53 AM »
Raised Influence Cap, and either replacing TOs/DOs/SOs with generic IOs, or getting rid of basic enhancers degrading with level.

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2015, 11:24:52 AM »
Hey guys! Thought I'd pop in and join in on the fun.

Our goal is to build a game that Cohers can pick up, and feel like they're home. This mean's we're likely going to shy away from any really major changes to how the game operates.
ED became a very core part of how CoH operated and all of the Power Sets and Enhancements that were released after that were tailored to EDs effects on the game.
Theoretically ED could be removed, however it would be a massive change to the way CoH plays for a lot of players, and would require testing, and re-balancing every aspect of gameplay.

On to the topic of TF related accolades!
(I'm not sure I'm going to make a lot of friends in this thread. -gulp-)
The accolades are set up to reward players for completing a quite impressive feat. To change what gives players that reward would mean re-evaluating how good that reward is. TFC is a large investment in time and effort, and therefore gives a large reward. I don't believe TFC is necessarily a requirement for a good toon build, but it is a great buff for those who want to make the most of a character.

On to the market!
I'm hoping to alleviate some of the steep inflation that some players felt in the market, but I'd like to find a somewhat natural way to deal with this instead of just jacking up the spawn rate of the rarer drops, or forcing them to be sold for no more than a certain amount of Inf.
I've got some ideas, but nothing that's been chiseled out of concrete yet.

and yes P51mus, I intend to raise up the inf cap.
"Let's get dangerous..."
Lead Developer and Master of Mischief - Revival Project.
Revival website: APR.Pc-Logix.com

Styrj

• Boss
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2015, 11:49:15 AM »
Hi folks!

Being a soloer (I only teamed when my son and daughter-in-law were playing), one of the main things I would like to see is soloable Task Forces.  Or, maybe at the start of a TF, give the player a choice of NPC toons to select as members of the "team".  That way the requirement for a team is met.  Just my $1.98.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!  Infinity Server...

GenericHero05

• New Efforts # 7,000!
  • Boss
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2015, 12:36:59 PM »
On to the market!
I'm hoping to alleviate some of the steep inflation that some players felt in the market, but I'd like to find a somewhat natural way to deal with this instead of just jacking up the spawn rate of the rarer drops, or forcing them to be sold for no more than a certain amount of Inf.

What if you created two separate influence catagories. AE influence would be (just an example) one tenth of the value of what real game influence is. A market item could then be purchased for 100,000,000 AE influence or 10,000,000 real game influence.

therain93

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2015, 02:20:44 PM »

<snip>

On to the market!

I would not imagine there would be a significant inflation issue any more.  Consider that we have:
AE tickets to purchase recipes and salvage
Astral and Empyrean Merits to purchase recipes (including purples)
Alignment merits (including purples)
Reward Merits
Enhancement converters (which can be bought with most of those above mentioned currencies)
Super Packs (if re-introduced)

When you consider what contributed to the inflation in the past -- 3 years without IOs, no real INF sink for the committed players/farmers, and the general rarity of recipe drops after IOs came in -- I just don't see that being as problematic starting over from scratch with all of the above systems in place.  Other than maybe increasing the INF limit, I would hope that things would be left generally as is to play out.
@Texarkana - March 5, 2004 - December 1, 2012 -- Imageshack |-| Youtube
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You don't know what it's like.... |-| Book One. Chapter one...

AmberOfDzu

• Boss
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2015, 02:44:47 PM »
Quote from: therain93
Other than maybe increasing the INF limit, I would hope that things would be left generally as is to play out.
Agreed. I think CoH 1.5 will be a different beast than the original in the mix of sustained styles of play present, and the huge backlog of inf from years of play won't be there from the start.

Ultimate15

• Boss
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2015, 03:59:55 PM »
...Can we please just call it City of Heroes 2. Pretty pretty please?  :-[
Viva la Virtue!

Pyromantic

• New Efforts # 16,000!
  • Boss
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2015, 04:02:57 PM »
I have a great of deal of respect and gratitude for what Irish Girl is doing, but I'd be extremely hesitant with changes.  While people might see changes that they feel certain would improve the game, it could be hard to predict the actual impact on the game.  Depending on exactly what the future of the game is going to look like, I would keep any alterations from I24 as small as possible until there is a well-established team and procedure in place for evaluating potential updates.

Rejolt

• Elite Boss
  • Infinity Server 2005-2012
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2015, 04:28:37 PM »
I would not imagine there would be a significant inflation issue any more.  Consider that we have:
AE tickets to purchase recipes and salvage
Astral and Empyrean Merits to purchase recipes (including purples)
Alignment merits (including purples)
Reward Merits
Enhancement converters (which can be bought with most of those above mentioned currencies)
Super Packs (if re-introduced)

When you consider what contributed to the inflation in the past -- 3 years without IOs, no real INF sink for the committed players/farmers, and the general rarity of recipe drops after IOs came in -- I just don't see that being as problematic starting over from scratch with all of the above systems in place.  Other than maybe increasing the INF limit, I would hope that things would be left generally as is to play out.

I'm now a trained grinder from years of mmo play. COH gameplay is second nature after years of living in it. Restarting means nothing if you love what you do.

My only issue will be the impatience of knowing what I had and wanting it all back too soon.
Rejolt Industries LLC is now a thing. Woo!

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2015, 01:05:10 AM »

Our goal is to build a game that Cohers can pick up, and feel like they're home. This mean's we're likely going to shy away from any really major changes to how the game operates.
ED became a very core part of how CoH operated and all of the Power Sets and Enhancements that were released after that were tailored to EDs effects on the game.
Theoretically ED could be removed, however it would be a massive change to the way CoH plays for a lot of players, and would require testing, and re-balancing every aspect of gameplay.

On to the topic of TF related accolades!
(I'm not sure I'm going to make a lot of friends in this thread. -gulp-)
The accolades are set up to reward players for completing a quite impressive feat. To change what gives players that reward would mean re-evaluating how good that reward is. TFC is a large investment in time and effort, and therefore gives a large reward. I don't believe TFC is necessarily a requirement for a good toon build, but it is a great buff for those who want to make the most of a character.

On to the market!

The only thing that wouldn't potentially harm the value or rares and very rares would of been making more ways to earn hero merits and removing timers for using them. Can't remember was it a timer to convert something to a hero merit or was it for using them? I basically abandoned the system as I was able to get the things I wanted quicker simply by farming.

Over time Emp merits would of have made it much easier to get purples as we were getting more and more trials to run you could save up and get them.

In the end I was just buying the crappy purples most people throw away like the sleep set and converting them to what I needed thanks to super packs and the paragon market (thank you enhancement converters)