Author Topic: The Flash! (spoilers probably eventually)  (Read 79124 times)

Mandu

• Elite Boss
Re: The Flash! (spoilers probably eventually)
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2014, 07:18:12 PM »
And what's with the assemblage of Scoobies?  Gotta collect a group of relatively normal people who are in-the-know.  Never mind that the more there are, the more it defeats the purpose of a secret identity.

Spoiler for Hidden:
I don't know that I would call them Scoobies.  We have a cop, Killer Frost, Vibe, and Reverse Flash.  Yes I'm pretty sure that Wells is Reverse Flash and that Thawne is a red herring intended to throw comic book fans off the track.  Or that Wells will be RF #1 and Thawne will be his successor.

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2014, 03:37:55 PM »
The mask thing always bugged me.  It's as if their contract says they need to be maskless in X% of televised footage.  I certainly hope it's not the assumption that the audience is too stupid to remember who's behind the mask.

As others have noted, there may be an agreement to show the actor's face as much as possible while in costume, causing all the ripped-off mask scenes.  We'll know it's gone to far when they start duplicating the technique in the comics themselves.

I'd be willing to bet that it's less about contracts or thinking the audience is stupid (although DC's bat-embargo of TV several years ago sort of leans that way for WB...). I think it's more that they want us to be able to see the actor's emotions and reactions, which can be hidden by a mask. I don't think the Flash mask hides them all that much, but it's probably an instinct for directors to show people's faces.

Plus, like I said, if it were the real world, someone suddenly wearing a mask after an entire lifetime of having nothing on their face would probably subconsciously remove it a lot. Fortunately, the subconscious desire to keep his identity secret wins out over the desire to remove the mask, so he only does it in private.

And what's with the assemblage of Scoobies?  Gotta collect a group of relatively normal people who are in-the-know.  Never mind that the more there are, the more it defeats the purpose of a secret identity.

I was thinking about that, and it's reasonably realistic, and a way to get a character driven show going. The hero's job is made easier with support, and a recurring cast of characters is something that any show is going to have.

I've been looking forward to the Flash since I heard rumors about Barry showing up on Arrow, and the only disappointment I've had with the show is the fact that they couldn't get Barry's hair color right. (of course, the fact that the first comic I bought for myself was a copy of Flash #121 (June 1961) might have something to do with that.)  But they've been doing a great job with the characters so far, and dropping all sorts of easter eggs to long-time followers of his adventures.

There was an interview with the actor I read, and he said it seemed like he was hired because of the way he embodied the spirit of The Flash, rather than looks - his exact words: "If it had been a team of people that didn't know what they were doing, I probably wouldn't have gotten this role because they would have just cast a blonde guy who was buff."

The actual interview: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/flashs-grant-gustin-my-favorite-724921
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2014, 06:12:49 PM »
I didn't get into the Flash until the first series, with John Wesley Shipp as Barry, so I always think of him as having brown hair anyway.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2014, 04:24:53 PM »
I didn't get into the Flash until the first series, with John Wesley Shipp as Barry, so I always think of him as having brown hair anyway.

Besides even in the older Flash show it was Barry Allen but a lot of elements from Wally West, just like this one.
The eating to keep up energy, slower speed then the Barry Allen in comics, etc.

CG

• Elite Boss
« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2014, 04:47:43 PM »
I found it interesting that during the flash back (heh) Dr. Wells mentioned it felt like he was waiting for centuries for the moment the particle accelerator turned on.  That's probably not a figure of speech.

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2014, 06:37:15 PM »
I found it interesting that during the flash back (heh) Dr. Wells mentioned it felt like he was waiting for centuries for the moment the particle accelerator turned on.  That's probably not a figure of speech.

This one pretty much confirms he is from the future. First of all that door he goes through looks like some sort dimensional door or something of obvious advanced tech.
And from the flashbacks he certainly seemed to have known exactly what was going to happen.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2014, 09:52:21 PM »
Heh...  From the future... Harrison Wells?  Middle initial G, perhaps?
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2014, 10:01:21 PM »
Heh...  From the future... Harrison Wells?  Middle initial G, perhaps?

If I was a time traveler and using a pseudonym, why not (and I'm betting it is).  What's the fun if people can't make the connection because you use one that's too generic, like John Smith.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

KennonGL

• Boss
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2014, 02:25:47 PM »
I personally get the feeling that, yes he's a time traveler. 

He's also the "anti-flash" that shows up in the red/yellow streak-fest during Barry's mom's death scene.

I also think that it was him who pulled the child Barry out of the house.

And ... I think that it will end up being Barry himself who has to sacrifice his mother in order to

prevent some huge catastrophe from happening.

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2014, 06:36:03 PM »
Big Flash fan from childhood here.

I like this show quite a bit.   Love the casting all around...especially Grant Gustin and Jesse Martin and their chemistry together.   The overall story has me interested as well.

Not a big fan of the "SHIELD team".   At least there is no Skye type character to irritate me....but would rather see the Flash as a loner.

Also wish the "freak of the week" thing would go away.   Someone at WB must have said "Hey...Smallville stayed on the air for 10 seasons...let's do it like that!"     I would like to sit them down and point out that the big hits these days don't do it that way....check out Game of Thrones and Walking Dead guys.

And they better not be planning to copy the irritating Clark/Lana thing from Smallville with Barry/Iris.   Starting to smell that way.   "I can't be with her...must protect her from my secret...but I love her sooo much!"   Bleh....

Not that it would matter....I'll watch every episode just like I watched every episode of Smallville.    ....And I like the Flash even more than I like Supes.

Felderburg

• Elite Boss
« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2014, 08:29:29 PM »
I just realized - it'd be pretty funny if every episode for the first season involved a stunning Wells action in the last scene.

So I just watched the episode (missed it Tuesday) and I laughed when the last scene was indeed a Wells scene. 3 for 3!

Let's take bets on what the next one will be (not having one is also a legit bet to choose). I think he'll anonymously offer to fund or break Captain Cold out.

Does anyone know which episodes, if any, of Arrow we need to watch? Or are all the crossovers going to be during The Flash's time slot?

Also wish the "freak of the week" thing would go away.   Someone at WB must have said "Hey...Smallville stayed on the air for 10 seasons...let's do it like that!"     I would like to sit them down and point out that the big hits these days don't do it that way....check out Game of Thrones and Walking Dead guys.

And they better not be planning to copy the irritating Clark/Lana thing from Smallville with Barry/Iris.   Starting to smell that way.   "I can't be with her...must protect her from my secret...but I love her sooo much!"   Bleh....

Well, at least this week the bad guy didn't die. Although I wonder if he'll need to be fed. The freak of the week thing has been done for ages - it seems to me like there's a certain requirement for closure that the writers have to put in to each episode,  even as there are one or two larger arcs for the whole season or show.

As far as Barry / Iris, Joe told him not to tell her. I'm sure she'll figure it out - but even so, the unrequited and oblivious nature of her relationship to Barry was there well before he got fast. I mean, he was going to tell her he had feelings in the first episode, but she was completely unaware and unintentionally shot him down.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 08:46:28 PM by Felderburg »
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Felderburg

• Elite Boss
« Reply #51 on: October 29, 2014, 02:34:55 AM »
So I just watched the episode (missed it Tuesday) and I laughed when the last scene was indeed a Wells scene. 3 for 3!

Let's take bets on what the next one will be (not having one is also a legit bet to choose). I think he'll anonymously offer to fund or break Captain Cold out.

Ah well, I got the captain Cold part right. What was funny to me was how much Captain Cold liked his new moniker.

This episode seemed to be more about character development and the working of the Flash team... I dunno, but it seems like the team is going through trust issues pretty quickly; 4th episode, trust  issue, and it's resolved by the end.

I mean, obviously the team will get a big shake up when whatever the Wells revelation is happens, so maybe that's what's going on.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2014, 04:30:50 AM »
Sudden thought:  Barry's dad is actually the yellow streak, and is, in fact, responsible for the death of his mother...

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #53 on: October 29, 2014, 07:52:00 AM »
Does anyone know which episodes, if any, of Arrow we need to watch? Or are all the crossovers going to be during The Flash's time slot?
My plan is to look up which Arrow episodes the Flash actor appears in and watch those.  :D

Well, at least this week the bad guy didn't die. Although I wonder if he'll need to be fed. The freak of the week thing has been done for ages - it seems to me like there's a certain requirement for closure that the writers have to put in to each episode,  even as there are one or two larger arcs for the whole season or show.
They didn't do it this week so I'm happy.

By "freak of the week", I mean "all the bad guys come from the same event"....like Smallville and the meteor rocks.   It was "the big explosion" here for the first 3 episodes.   Tonight they went a different way...thank god.
As far as Barry / Iris, Joe told him not to tell her. I'm sure she'll figure it out - but even so, the unrequited and oblivious nature of her relationship to Barry was there well before he got fast. I mean, he was going to tell her he had feelings in the first episode, but she was completely unaware and unintentionally shot him down.
Oh I know the story.  There was a story for Clark/Lana too.   Just wish they weren't doing that Clark/Lana thing.   Feels like they are trying to appeal to teen girls with that.  (no offense to teen girls...but I'm not one)

CG

• Elite Boss
« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2014, 02:36:50 PM »
I paid closer attention to the opening montage where the red/yellow blur surrounds his mother. It's not so much a yellow blur with red streaks so much as an alternating blur between red and yellow.

This makes me think that Barry will be there and was probably the one to remove his younger self from the house.  If the Reverse Flash were to threaten lil Barry, the Flash would have no option other than to remove himself from danger or cease to exist.

There is, of course, the gap between when lil Barry gets removed from the house and when he returns.  Who knows what happens in that gap.

Lastly, from a storytelling perspective, I think it has more emotion to have Barry attempt to save his mother and fail (or choose not to because of the future consequences!) than to have it simply as a fait accomplis and he only has revenge/justice to go forward with.  He still has those options if he goes back in time as well, and there's more drama.

Felderburg

• Elite Boss
« Reply #55 on: October 29, 2014, 03:29:01 PM »
My plan is to look up which Arrow episodes the Flash actor appears in and watch those.  :D

Good idea... although we'll have to look up all the Flash actors. Apparently there were a few episodes of Arrow after the initial Barry Allen guest appearance where STAR Labs folks showed up (I only watched episodes leading up to the Flash appearance in Arrow, then stopped watching).

By "freak of the week", I mean "all the bad guys come from the same event"....like Smallville and the meteor rocks.   It was "the big explosion" here for the first 3 episodes.   Tonight they went a different way...thank god.

Gotcha. Kind of like Static Shock... but for a sudden appearance of lots of meta humans (or whatever the story calls them) there should be an explanation, and "big weird science explosion" fits the bill. But yes, having an ordinary guy who is suddenly forced to deal with extraordinary people with extraordinary devices is pretty cool.

Feels like they are trying to appeal to teen girls with that.  (no offense to teen girls...but I'm not one)

Well, on the plus side, Barry did kiss Felicity, so maybe the "one true love" thing will be dropped for a while... sure there's reasons in the actual story for Barry to be in love with Iris, but the real reason is that they're together in the comics, which constrains the story in certain ways.

Regarding romance, the CW (and the WB) has always seemed to me like that is a demographic they're going for. I think it adds some interesting story hooks, and if it adds viewers who are drawn in by romance plots rather than the super hero aspect I assume most people are watching for, that's fine too.

Interestingly: http://www.thewrap.com/cws-the-flash-premiere-is-the-most-watched-program-in-network-history/

Lastly, from a storytelling perspective, I think it has more emotion to have Barry attempt to save his mother and fail (or choose not to because of the future consequences!) than to have it simply as a fait accomplis and he only has revenge/justice to go forward with.  He still has those options if he goes back in time as well, and there's more drama.

Yeah, I like KennonGL's idea that it's actually Reverse Flash who removes kid Barry, and Barry realizes he has to kill his own mother to preserve the timeline.

Regarding the theory that Wells is Reverse Flash, I think that it actually is in keeping with him wanting to keep Barry safe. If he's driven by revenge, for whatever reason, making sure Barry is around to go back in time and kill his own mother is a rather delicious sort of revenge.

KennonGL

• Boss
« Reply #56 on: October 29, 2014, 04:51:04 PM »
I paid closer attention to the opening montage where the red/yellow blur surrounds his mother. It's not so much a yellow blur with red streaks so much as an alternating blur between red and yellow.

This makes me think that Barry will be there and was probably the one to remove his younger self from the house.  If the Reverse Flash were to threaten lil Barry, the Flash would have no option other than to remove himself from danger or cease to exist.

There is, of course, the gap between when lil Barry gets removed from the house and when he returns.  Who knows what happens in that gap.

Well, if you look closely, it's pretty obviously the yellow blur that moves "little" Barry out of the house.

Or at least that's what I see when I re-watch the opening "fight"... But I do freely admit that it's all a

jumbled mess and I could be seeing it wrong.  With the streaming I have, I can't seem to get a frame-by-frame

level of detail like I could with my old DVR...

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #57 on: October 29, 2014, 11:08:47 PM »
Okay...  Captain Cold was awesome.  They even gave him the parka. 

Mandu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #58 on: October 30, 2014, 02:32:19 AM »
It usually takes a new show 4 or 5 episodes to start getting its footing, and with this episode Flash did just that.  It's finally starting to feel like a superhero show instead of a freak of the week show.  Not that there is anything wrong with freak of the week.  I enjoyed Smallville but it never felt like a superhero show other than a couple episodes.  I wouldn't worry about it being a team show forever.  After all at least one of the support team and probably two are going to become villains and the third one becomes a minor hero.

Unfortunately the next episode is Plastique who I have never liked as a villain and who was never a Flash villain anyway.  But who knows, since she is a Firestorm villain maybe we'll see the first appearance of post accident Ronnie Raymond.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #59 on: November 13, 2014, 05:24:38 AM »
Ran up a building and across water.  Now he just needs to vibrate through something.  Also: More Grodd!