Author Topic: The Flash! (spoilers probably eventually)  (Read 79123 times)

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
Re: The Flash! (spoilers probably eventually)
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2014, 12:45:46 AM »
Yeah, I don't think of a game console as a streaming media center.  It's PC or tablet with me.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2014, 08:37:57 AM »
I think that doing something worse than FOX is universal grounds for shaming.  I also find that convenient streaming to my TV is better than using my PC, tablet, or phone.  In theory the app on the console should be the same.  In practice, it seems to be so with FOX's app - refer to first sentence.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2014, 11:41:20 AM »
But The Flash is on The CW, not Fox.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2014, 12:23:55 PM »
Indeed.  And Gotham is on FOX.  Hence how CW is doing something worse than FOX.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2014, 12:47:13 AM »
Ah!  Missed the point you were making.

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2014, 05:02:59 AM »
I just realized - it'd be pretty funny if every episode for the first season involved a stunning Wells action in the last scene.

Oh hey, his name is Wells -
Spoiler for Hidden:
This obviously confirms my theory that he is a time traveler, possibly a descendant of Barry's, since H (arrison) G Wells wrote "The Time Machine".

I definitely like Joe West's acting (I don't know the actor's name - when I saw him in the first episode, I thought "hey, the Law & Order guy is playing another cop!").
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2014, 05:08:04 AM »
I definitely like Joe West's acting (I don't know the actor's name - when I saw him in the first episode, I thought "hey, the Law & Order guy is playing another cop!").
Jesse L Martin. He's pretty awesome.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2014, 04:56:38 PM »
Still waiting for this to come up on the CW app.  FOX puts the new eps of Gotham up on their app the day after it airs.  If CW doesn't speed it up, I may have to resort to downloading the episodes.

I must be old. I watched the episodes on something called a "television" or TV for short.

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2014, 05:53:15 PM »
I must be old. I watched the episodes on something called a "television" or TV for short.
Yeah, I used this thing called a DVR to record it, then watched it when I didn't have to work. I do the same thing for Doctor Who, NCIS, Big Bang Theory, and Agents of Shield.
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2014, 06:39:44 PM »
Yeah, I used this thing called a DVR to record it, then watched it when I didn't have to work. I do the same thing for Doctor Who, NCIS, Big Bang Theory, and Agents of Shield.

Then I'm ancient. I won't be able to see "Arrow" when it's broadcast tonight, so I'll be using my...uh, what's the term again? Oh, right, my VCR. I'll be using that to view it later.

I'm enjoying Tuesday nights, with "The Flash" at 7, followed by "Agents of SHIELD" at 8. It's been quite a while since I had two first-run shows, that I really enjoyed, on the same night. Assuming that they, "Gotham" and "Arrow" stick around, the addition of the planned live-action Supergirl, X-Men and Teen Titans series will make for (by my recent experience) a packed viewing schedule.
Linux. Because a world without walls or fences won't need Windows or Gates.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2014, 09:36:08 PM »
I have trouble watching programs on the TV's schedule, and I don't have a DVR.  And I got rid of my VCR ages ago.  Luckily, all these newfangled devices exist to aid me in various ways.  The companies that figure out how to properly exploit that fact will still get ad revenue from my viewing.

And the new episode...  Every time Barry stops running, his mask flies off?  Could be a problem.  Stagg is dead?  Might impact any chances of a Metamorpho appearance.  "Ronnie"?  Perhaps Firestorm is in the cards?

Felderburg

• Elite Boss
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2014, 09:44:16 PM »
And the new episode...  Every time Barry stops running, his mask flies off?  Could be a problem.  Stagg is dead?  Might impact any chances of a Metamorpho appearance.  "Ronnie"?  Perhaps Firestorm is in the cards?

Haha... he does have a habit of taking it off when he gets winded. It's probably annoying, if you haven't worn a mask, to suddenly start wearing one. I do wonder how it fits, though, since it doesn't look like a hood when he has it off - looks like it almost split down the middle.

I looked up Metamorpho, and it looks like there's still potential - "Rex Mason was an adventurer who was hired by Stagg Enterprises CEO, Simon Stagg to retrieve a rare Egyptian artifact, the Orb of Ra. Mason also started dating Stagg's daughter, Sapphire Stagg." So maybe the guy comes back, discovers his employer is dead, and hijinks ensue with him trying to get the money from Stagg's daughter.

Firestorm?
Spoiler for Hidden:
Ronnie is indeed confirmed - they have an actor slated and everything. I accidentally saw screenshots of episode 3, and it looks like there's some flashback scenes with him, although I imagine that the Firestorm identity won't come 'til later.

Edit: Oh hey post 777. That is a neat number.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 09:53:53 PM by Felderburg »
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2014, 11:36:10 PM »
I love we are getting a comic book super hero show using elements from actual super hero comic book stories and situations.

Was the reason the old Superboy show was great - they did stuff like Mxyzptlk and Bizarro.

I watched a few Smallville episodes but it was so far removed from the actual character I wasn't that interested to keep watching.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2014, 04:53:06 AM »
I think Arrow has done a passable job of including comic book elements.  Especially in The second season.  The only reason I don't love that show is the incessant flashbacks.  They were a mild annoyance in the first season, but they got increasingly irritating in the second season, culminating in a very irritating final confrontation with Deathstroke that kept flipping confusingly back and forth between past and present.  I'm mildly concerned that The Flash is going to start overplaying the flashbacks.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2014, 10:09:26 AM »
I think Arrow has done a passable job of including comic book elements.  Especially in The second season.  The only reason I don't love that show is the incessant flashbacks.  They were a mild annoyance in the first season, but they got increasingly irritating in the second season, culminating in a very irritating final confrontation with Deathstroke that kept flipping confusingly back and forth between past and present.  I'm mildly concerned that The Flash is going to start overplaying the flashbacks.

Betting Stagg has a back up copy or due to the threats sent the backup to rep for him.  The backup may not know that he's the backup.  I mean you don't get rid of a villain(s) like that every episode.  They need to come back to try again, that's a central plot theme for superhero comics.

Felderburg

• Elite Boss
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2014, 02:22:59 PM »
They need to come back to try again, that's a central plot theme for superhero comics.

That's one issue with movies / tv shows based on heroes. It seems to me that the writers are so used to writing a happy resolution to the end of a movie or episode, and a "happy" ending so often means "the bad guy dies" (which is problematic by itself, regardless of genre) that we end up with what should be recurring villains being dead (I mean, we all know what that's worth in comic-based stories, but still).

Spoiler for Hidden:
Of course, in the Flash, we've had Weather Wizard's brother die, a cop, some random guys that Multiplex and Weather Wizard 1 killed, Multiplex himself, and Stagg. So in my mind, the other Martin (correct name?) brother can become the "true" Weather Wizard, random secondary characters are gone forever, Multiplex can have some technobabble "his cells regenerated" or "one of his copies grew a brain" comeback, and Stagg... I don't know. I imagine it'll be his daughter, based on what I quoted previously about Metamorpho from wikipedia.

Speaking of Stagg, I think his company's logo is super cool - a very realistic take on a guy who uses the name "Stagg" for his company, and makes a stylized stag its logo.

As for flashbacks, most of the shots have been of his front or side, since watching Barry run from behind would be boring  :P

Seriously though, I don't think there's going to be that many - from the few episodes of Arrow I saw, it seemed like the island was the formative period of his powers and mentality. Whereas with The Flash, yes, his mother's death is formative, but it's a singular event (that is obviously going to weigh heavily on Barry's mind) and because it's a single event, and his formative superheroics are in the present, I don't think there will be a huge amount of flashbacks.

Night-Hawk07

• Elite Boss
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2014, 06:42:47 AM »
Assuming that they, "Gotham" and "Arrow" stick around, the addition of the planned live-action Supergirl, X-Men and Teen Titans series will make for (by my recent experience) a packed viewing schedule.

There's actually talk of the CW wanting a 3rd superhero show.

Haha... he does have a habit of taking it off when he gets winded. It's probably annoying, if you haven't worn a mask, to suddenly start wearing one. I do wonder how it fits, though, since it doesn't look like a hood when he has it off - looks like it almost split down the middle.

This has been the case in every superhero show in recent years, and it's bugged the crap out of me. Even going back to that show that was on NBC, The Cape, that guy seemed to have his mask off more than on.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2014, 07:53:44 AM »
There's actually talk of the CW wanting a 3rd superhero show.

This has been the case in every superhero show in recent years, and it's bugged the crap out of me. Even going back to that show that was on NBC, The Cape, that guy seemed to have his mask off more than on.

The mask thing always bugged me.  It's as if their contract says they need to be maskless in X% of televised footage.  I certainly hope it's not the assumption that the audience is too stupid to remember who's behind the mask.

"Oh I totally forgot that Barry is the Flash, good thing he removed his mask.  AGAIN!"

Too few actors have the guts of Hugo Weaving (V for Vendetta) and do a fair chunk of the movie with their face covered.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2014, 08:52:36 AM »
And what's with the assemblage of Scoobies?  Gotta collect a group of relatively normal people who are in-the-know.  Never mind that the more there are, the more it defeats the purpose of a secret identity.

Sugoi

• Boss
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2014, 12:26:54 PM »
I have trouble watching programs on the TV's schedule, and I don't have a DVR.  And I got rid of my VCR ages ago.  Luckily, all these newfangled devices exist to aid me in various ways.  The companies that figure out how to properly exploit that fact will still get ad revenue from my viewing.

I gave up on VCRs ages ago, tape just doesn't age well, especially for repeated viewings (and I bought my first VCR back in 1978 for the 'low cost' of $800, with $25 a hour for tapes.)  I've been getting a lot of usage out of my Roku boxes, between Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu Plus and Vudu services a lot of the stuff I want to see is available usually a day after broadcasting, or within seconds after browsing thru the digital copies of my DVDs and Blu-Rays.  This season is the first one in years where they've shown anything I really want to see the live broadcast for.

I've been looking forward to the Flash since I heard rumors about Barry showing up on Arrow, and the only disappointment I've had with the show is the fact that they couldn't get Barry's hair color right. (of course, the fact that the first comic I bought for myself was a copy of Flash #121 (June 1961) might have something to do with that.)  But they've been doing a great job with the characters so far, and dropping all sorts of easter eggs to long-time followers of his adventures.

I think it's interesting that they showed a preview of the Flash battling what looked like an intelligently-directed gas attack (smells like Metamorpho to me!) and it would make sense that Rex Mason might investigate his Boss's death (at the urging of the love of his life, Sapphire Stagg, Simon's daughter) and get involved with Barry who is investigating the death scene.  Well, we'll see...

Both Ronnie Raymond and Dr. Martin Stein have been mentioned, and rumor has it they (or their merged form) will be back during the run of the season... but no pics yet!

As others have noted, there may be an agreement to show the actor's face as much as possible while in costume, causing all the ripped-off mask scenes.  We'll know it's gone to far when they start duplicating the technique in the comics themselves.