Author Topic: The Flash! (spoilers probably eventually)  (Read 79119 times)

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
The Flash! (spoilers probably eventually)
« on: October 08, 2014, 01:46:30 AM »
I'm watching the series premiere right now!!! The Flash is awesome!

...discuss.
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
Re: The Flash! (spoilers probably eventually)
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 01:52:30 AM »

Yes ... and don't forget ....

Spoiler for Hidden:
Grodd!

Felderburg

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 01:56:49 AM »
Yes ... and don't forget ....

Spoiler for Hidden:
Grodd!

Dude! I saw that! And the name of the airfield!
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 09:06:38 AM »
Dude! I saw that! And the name of the airfield!

And once again the name of this episode is "City of Heroes", just as 2nd season Arrow premier.  Also a later episode (4?) is called "Going Rogue".  :'(

Spoiler for Hidden:
Also a few name drops of future "villains", including his current allies.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Felderburg

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2014, 05:19:28 PM »
And once again the name of this episode is "City of Heroes", just as 2nd season Arrow premier.  Also a later episode (4?) is called "Going Rogue".  :'(

Spoiler for Hidden:
Also a few name drops of future "villains", including his current allies.

Where did you find those titles?

Spoiler for Hidden:
I need to review my Flash lore... I didn't quite hear "Detective Pretty Boy"s actual name, but on review of the Professor Zoom article, it turns out that it's Eddie Thawne... What other names were dropped?

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2014, 06:03:45 PM »
Where did you find those titles?

Spoiler for Hidden:
I need to review my Flash lore... I didn't quite hear "Detective Pretty Boy"s actual name, but on review of the Professor Zoom article, it turns out that it's Eddie Thawne... What other names were dropped?

The episode titles came from IMDB and are listed at other Flash sites.

Spoiler for Hidden:
The two "kids" at Star Labs are Catlin Snow and Cisco Ramon.  Catlin Snow was one of the people who was Killer Frost and Cisco Ramon was the C-list hero Vibe.

Also in the flashback (doh) did anyone else notice both red and yellow blurs around his mother?  Was Flash fighting Zoom, in the past?  Did he save himself?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 06:12:41 PM by FatherXmas »

Night-Hawk07

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2014, 06:09:46 PM »

Spoiler for Hidden:
The two "kids" at Star Labs are Catlin Snow and Cisco Ramon.  Catlin Snow was one of the people who was Killer Frost and Cisco Ramon was Vibe.

Also in the flashback (doh) did anyone else notice both red and yellow blurs around his mother?  Was Flash fighting Zoom, in the past?  Did he save himself?

O_O Interesting, though, I didn't think much of the red and yellow blurs since The Flash himself leaves a red and yellow blur. Figured that was a trait of anyone that was powered by the speed force. But with Barry being "warped" away from the house, that would make sense.

Felderburg

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2014, 06:55:52 PM »

That's the implication I got from it. I swear I thought that the blur that got him out was yellow, but it makes sense that Flash saved himself, which gave Zoom time to kill his mother.

It's unfortunate that it sort of has to happen that way... even if future events such as
Spoiler for Hidden:
the "Crisis" implied in the final scene
are avoided, that moment is pretty integral to Barry's formation, and he probably can't / won't change them.

O_O Interesting, though, I didn't think much of the red and yellow blurs since The Flash himself leaves a red and yellow blur. Figured that was a trait of anyone that was powered by the speed force. But with Barry being "warped" away from the house, that would make sense.

The flashes of a man who is pretty clearly in a Flash-style suit but yellow seem to me to suggest it's Zoom. Although I'm sort of wondering how or why he was able to stop long enough for young Barry to see him, even for a split second, given that they're fighting fast enough that they're just blurs at that point.

Night-Hawk07

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2014, 01:29:42 AM »
The flashes of a man who is pretty clearly in a Flash-style suit but yellow seem to me to suggest it's Zoom.

Oh no, that I figured. Originally, I thought the blur surrounding Barry mom was Zoom, especially later on when they actually showed his silhouette. I just didn't think about The Flash himself being there as well.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2014, 10:19:19 AM »
Spoiler for Hidden:
Anyone else catch the Wayne Tech/Queen merger in 2045?
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

hurple

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2014, 02:09:39 PM »
Spoiler for Hidden:
Oh no, that I figured. Originally, I thought the blur surrounding Barry mom was Zoom, especially later on when they actually showed his silhouette. I just didn't think about The Flash himself being there as well.

Spoiler for Hidden:
Since the TV show is a completely different medium, they may go a completely different direction, but in the Flash books the Reverse-Flash goes back in time to kill Barry's mother, and Flash goes back to stop him... I'm pretty sure that's what was happening in that scene in the show.  I'm excited to see how they build to that with the characters they have on the show in the places they have them, and without the 60 years of stories to build up to Reverse-Flash having that severe a mad-on for Barry.

Now, I KNOW the TV show won't go here, but, in the books, that event leads to Flashpoiont as they change the timeline fighting through it.  And, that, in turn is what led to the "New 52" DC Universe reboot of a few years ago.

Felderburg

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2014, 03:26:04 PM »
There was an interesting article I read responding to speculations about foreshadowing of major DC comics events. Essentially, the article said: "No way will DC allow the CW to build up a bunch of connected series that culminates in something like an Infinite Crisis 2-hour special event, because that would take away from what they want to do with the movies." So it is interesting to see things that clearly reference major events in the comics, with the knowledge that the article is probably correct - the CW's scope is just not high enough on the DC totem pole to warrant big things like that.

Spoiler for Hidden:
Plus, in the context of the show, they really can't leave us waiting for closure of THE major plotline for ten years (2024 is when the paper is from). I don't think it will be a major, reality changing event, but they will definitely have to resolve Barry getting justice - it'll just end up being a big event for the show, but not the universe. It will be interesting to see how it is resolved, though, in a way that differs from the comics.

Edit:

Spoiler for Hidden:
The article I mentioned also noted that while the Wayne / Queen merger is a big thing, the author really doesn't think that they'll stick Batman on the CW. Hopefully the author is mistaken.

hurple

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2014, 08:10:03 PM »
There was an interesting article I read responding to speculations about foreshadowing of major DC comics events. Essentially, the article said: "No way will DC allow the CW to build up a bunch of connected series that culminates in something like an Infinite Crisis 2-hour special event, because that would take away from what they want to do with the movies." So it is interesting to see things that clearly reference major events in the comics, with the knowledge that the article is probably correct - the CW's scope is just not high enough on the DC totem pole to warrant big things like that.

DC have hinted that with Arrow and Flash and Gotham and Constatine (even on different networks) that they're wanting to build to a shared DC TV universe separate and distinct from the DC Movie Universe.  And it has also been hinted (speculated, teased, or kidded about) that the *ultimate* goal was to build to a Justice League TV event.

If they really wanted to go all out, they could do a Crisis where the old movies, new movies, current TV, old TV and cartoons all crossover, with each being a separate reality.  Michael Keaton Batman meets Christian Bale Batman meets Adam West Batman... Oh the mind reels!

Of course, all of that is silly and completely impossible to actually pull off.  But, it would be fun!

« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 04:10:48 PM by hurple »

Battlechimp

• Boss
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2014, 10:17:08 PM »

Spoiler for Hidden:
The two "kids" at Star Labs are Catlin Snow and Cisco Ramon.  Catlin Snow was one of the people who was Killer Frost and Cisco Ramon was the C-list hero Vibe.

Spoiler for Hidden:
not sure if they're ever going to have Cisco become his alter ego, even by comic book random, he's pretty minor.  But with Caitlin, from episode synopsis of future episodes, we're going to be seeing her "dead" fiance.... Ronnie Raymond aka Firestorm, cause hey, Killer Frost is usually a Firestorm villain

Really thought it was neat them having the actor from the old Flash series be Barry's dad. Nice call back there. 

I know that Captain Cold will eventually show up, hope they do plan on bringing in his other rogues like the Trickster and Mirror Master
Some men were born to greatness, others had it thrust upon them.  Me?  I punted. - Col Cranston Snord

Blow things up! Blow things up! Blow things up! Blo... wait, not that!! - Jammers everywhen

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2014, 10:27:46 AM »
Still waiting for this to come up on the CW app.  FOX puts the new eps of Gotham up on their app the day after it airs.  If CW doesn't speed it up, I may have to resort to downloading the episodes.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Felderburg

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2014, 02:46:50 PM »
Well, there was an encore of the show on Wednesday after Arrow's premiere, so maybe they wanted to force people who missed it to watch it then, and say "well, might as well watch Arrow before it too".

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2014, 09:29:31 PM »
Then it should've been up Thursday.  Yet here it is Saturday and still not available for the app.  And even more irritating is the fact that it's up on their website.  And has been since at least Thursday.  And now I'm going to borrow a copy from a "friend" who was kind enough to record the broadcast sans commercials. 
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2014, 11:44:24 PM »
Then it should've been up Thursday.  Yet here it is Saturday and still not available for the app.  And even more irritating is the fact that it's up on their website.  And has been since at least Thursday.  And now I'm going to borrow a copy from a "friend" who was kind enough to record the broadcast sans commercials.

Don't know what app you are using because it's on mine.  You got to select shows first, scroll down to the T's, it's after "The 100" and then you select full and you'll see the first episode listed.  This is on Android.  Of course the CW website had it since Wednesday and Hulu has it on an 8 day delay.  Maybe it's region locked for you if you aren't in the US.

Felderburg

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2014, 11:58:49 PM »
Barnes and Noble has a free Fridays thing, and this week has a bonus eBook about DC on TV.  Seems like it's probably a purely promotional thing, but it's free, probably until Monday:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/dce-on-tv-dc-comics/1120337273?ean=2940045896375

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook-blog/category/free-fridays/

Speaking of book tie-ins, I was glancing at the Flash wiki, and I guess there's a comic (Arrow has one too). Has anyone read it?

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2014, 12:14:47 AM »
I'm in the US.  Using the XBOne version of the app.  Same place I use the aforementioned FOX app for viewing Gotham.  I actually have the Flash section of the CW app specifically pinned to my Home section.  Been anticipating it a bit.  Up until this morning, the most recent full episode of anything they had was Sunday's Supernatural. 

Anyway, I finally saw the episode through other means.  And I was surprised by how decent it was.  If they can maintain that level of comic book superheroing, it should be a good series.