Author Topic: Building a New Desktop...  (Read 19470 times)

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
Re: Building a New Desktop...
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2014, 09:47:31 PM »
I don't want to be a bad luck crow but I heard there are chances that if City of Heroes come back, it might run on the Unreal engine 4 so we'll all need a better computer than what we needed to run CoX on maximum settings!

Well from what I understand Unreal Engine 4 requirements arent as high as some people are expecting.. and I wont need a new computer at all.. and I rarely if ever play at the highest settings..

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2014, 09:48:15 PM »
How big is your SSD ??

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2014, 10:13:12 PM »

microc

• Boss
« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2014, 10:51:15 AM »
harp with any program now you have to do an advance install and then tell it to install it on the hard drive. when you redo the drive and aps I try and make folders like games then install all the games into the games folder.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/284934-32-tips-users#t1929070
with an ssd drive you have to leave room for wear leveling and clean up.

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2014, 05:47:26 PM »
harp with any program now you have to do an advance install and then tell it to install it on the hard drive. when you redo the drive and aps I try and make folders like games then install all the games into the games folder.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/284934-32-tips-users#t1929070
with an ssd drive you have to leave room for wear leveling and clean up.
Thanks!   Looks like a lot of reading ahead of me.  :D

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2014, 04:59:09 AM »
Wow...just switching to Win 7, a SSD, and a new video card has really improved my PC.   I guess I'll really be happy when I get the new motherboard, processor, and ram.

Bring on Ultra-Mode!

JennSpace

• Lieutenant
« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2014, 09:25:37 PM »
Wow...just switching to Win 7, a SSD, and a new video card has really improved my PC.   I guess I'll really be happy when I get the new motherboard, processor, and ram.

Bring on Ultra-Mode!

What did you get and how muchdid it cost you again? My old laptop just dieu and I need a new computer too... :P XD
Missed in action in the Rikti War Zone, almost 2 years ago.

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2014, 10:31:48 PM »
What did you get and how muchdid it cost you again? My old laptop just dieu and I need a new computer too... :P XD
Found Win 7 on Ebay for around $60.   

Got the video card listed in the build in this thread....it's also listed in an article "best video cards under $200" I read:  PowerColor Radeon R9 270X 2GB DEVIL Video Card  ($169.99 @ Newegg)

Spent about $60 on the SSD...120gb.   Several choices there.

I can take my time getting the MB and processor since those boosted my PC so much.   I'll just enjoy it for a while and then step up even more later.   ...Of course I'll get in a bigger hurry there if we hear some CoH good news.  :D

microc

• Boss
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2014, 07:45:52 AM »
PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynHdJx
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynHdJx/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($59.99 @ Micro Center)
Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($99.99 @ Micro Center)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($79.98 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Toshiba Product Series:DT01ACA 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case  ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair RM 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($70.00 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer  ($14.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $434.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-28 03:43 EDT-0400
this will make a great entry level gaming pc. the g3258 and z97 mb is 99.00 combo deal at micro center. if there not a local micro center near you then swap out the z97 for h97 mb for savings. the intel mb will drop in another 150 cpu if you need it. left off the gpu for now as the intel cpu has onboard video. 22-24 inch monitors run 100-150.

JennSpace

• Lieutenant
« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2014, 04:19:29 PM »
Found Win 7 on Ebay for around $60.   

Got the video card listed in the build in this thread....it's also listed in an article "best video cards under $200" I read:  PowerColor Radeon R9 270X 2GB DEVIL Video Card  ($169.99 @ Newegg)

Spent about $60 on the SSD...120gb.   Several choices there.

I can take my time getting the MB and processor since those boosted my PC so much.   I'll just enjoy it for a while and then step up even more later.   ...Of course I'll get in a bigger hurry there if we hear some CoH good news.  :D

Thanks Harpospoke, it will definetely help me when I buy my new computer! ;D I decided against getting another laptop because I don't outside my apartment (at all. lol) and I can get home pcs for cheaper. XD It's like my Sony Xperia blabla bla, yes I can do practically anything with it but I use NONE of it's super functions!! :P It's crazy how much money you can spend when you ask yourself : ''Do I really need this?'' before buying something. When my contract with Virgin expires in 8 months, I'll switch to a mobile all that is most basic and save over $40 per month! :D

Also, thanks Microc for the very nice build! I don't plan to buy my new home pc before a short while (cribbled with debts... ^^' lol) but once I'm free of all that, I'll check all those websites you mentionned and get a nice machine built, for me.  :)
Missed in action in the Rikti War Zone, almost 2 years ago.

microc

• Boss
« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2014, 10:11:19 PM »
when your account for your phone is up look at att pay and you go company caleld cricket wireless. I just join them...25.00 a month for unlimited basic phone and text. only cost is 10.00 for there sim card. also on pc parts take as look at newegg dyi pc they toss together some parts at good price once and a while. also if a few months brodwell and skylake from intel may be dropping so you may be able to pick up an older haswell i5 at close out prices. if you do buy a dell or hp make sure you replace the power supply if your going to put in a higher wattage gaming card.