Author Topic: And the mask comes off.  (Read 1750490 times)

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
Re: And the mask comes off.
« Reply #5440 on: April 10, 2015, 05:56:05 AM »

still sure about that?

That Daggit had to be the most annoying thing of the entire original Galactica series.
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5441 on: April 10, 2015, 04:32:54 PM »
Pretty sure that's a robot, not a cyborg (as is X-51 and Astro Boy).  If it was actually a cybernetic daggit, that would have been actually kinda horrifying.  Particularly the ears.

i was fooled by how realistic the puppet fur was.

also +10 nerd points for x-51 and astro boy. i had resisted the impulse to point out x-51 wasn't a cyborg but you pulled off the trifecta.

BraveStar

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5442 on: April 10, 2015, 11:58:03 PM »
i was fooled by how realistic the puppet fur was.

also +10 nerd points for x-51 and astro boy. i had resisted the impulse to point out x-51 wasn't a cyborg but you pulled off the trifecta.

It wasn't a puppet. There was actually a chimpanzee inside of the costume.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5443 on: April 11, 2015, 12:22:13 AM »
i only said it was puppet fur  8)

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #5444 on: April 11, 2015, 03:39:31 AM »
You did miss Deathlok. I actually think with Agents of Shield he is less obscure than Machine Man.

Ah, of course!  I just finished  building that suit in my ICON, then saved about 4 variations of it, all with different chest number to avoid potential troubles when the game returns.  Tech sleek gloves and boots look good with that setup too.

Got to say, of all the cyborg characters in pop culture:

Eight Man
Cyborg 009
Bionic Man
Robocop
X-51/Machine Man
Astro  Boy
ROM, Spaceknight

and others I can't think of at the moment, I'd rather be the Eight Man then any of the others.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5445 on: April 11, 2015, 02:45:27 PM »
Deathlok, yeah gotta love how agents of shield took an already meh character and took away his one interesting feature (i.e. the timeline repairing).

we also missed lady deathstrike and cable (sort of) and donald pierce and raza and oh hell every third marvel character is a cyborg.

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #5446 on: April 11, 2015, 06:01:44 PM »
Deathlok, yeah gotta love how agents of shield took an already meh character and took away his one interesting feature (i.e. the timeline repairing).

we also missed lady deathstrike and cable (sort of) and donald pierce and raza and oh hell every third marvel character is a cyborg.

Yeah, you right.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

Abraxus

• Elite Boss
  • Brax on Discord. Play on Homecoming/Torchbearer
« Reply #5447 on: April 11, 2015, 07:18:38 PM »

However, if Agents of Shield is consistent about anything, it is their desire not to give you the whole enchilada at the same time.  If they just trotted out DeathLok with ALL of his currently known abilities, we would not have the enjoyment of see how he gets them in this telling.  Pretty much the same for all the "supers" they show here.  They start with the basics, and grow towards what we know.  In the end, it might still not be everything we know about the character from the comics, but I think the folks at Marvel know their characters, and they know that folks that watch the shows/movies know them too.  I think there is always a deliberate approach to the development process of a super-powered character, as much as there is in any other character.  Where they start is seldom where they will be down the line, if you have the patience to trust them, and stick around that long.

I will be the first to admit, it is not the greatest show on TV right now, but it has gotten considerably better over time, and I love how the events of the movies continually influence the events of the show, and moving everything in the same direction.  Even Daredevil is doing it!
What was no more, is now reborn!

MegaWatt

• Boss
  • No i didnt call security bots......uh oh!
« Reply #5448 on: April 11, 2015, 08:01:51 PM »
sadly agents of shield cant use Cable because he's a mutant and fox owns the mutants.
If we set it on fire it'll burn....but that'd leave evidence...I KNOW ! COMPLETE ATOMIZATION! WOOOO!

Abraxus

• Elite Boss
  • Brax on Discord. Play on Homecoming/Torchbearer
« Reply #5449 on: April 11, 2015, 08:44:02 PM »
sadly agents of shield cant use Cable because he's a mutant and fox owns the mutants.

Yeah, I keep hoping that will change, but they seem to do well enough with the X-Men movies to hold on it it.  At least Sony has gotten to the point where they are at least willing to "rent out" Spider Man.
What was no more, is now reborn!

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5450 on: April 11, 2015, 09:48:32 PM »
Yeah, I keep hoping that will change, but they seem to do well enough with the X-Men movies to hold on it it.  At least Sony has gotten to the point where they are at least willing to "rent out" Spider Man.

Despite the problems with Spiderman 3, Sony really should have worked to keep Rami at the helm for a 4th one. But as I recall Sony and Rami disagreed about who the next  villain should be and it came down to "See ya!" and Rami left.
In fearful COH-less days

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5451 on: April 11, 2015, 11:14:11 PM »
Did he want emo carnage?

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5452 on: April 12, 2015, 12:41:09 AM »
Did he want emo carnage?

Nope, actually last I read Rami does not like Venom or Carnage and the studio kind of sort of forced Venom on him due to fans constantly wanting Venom to appear.

What they should have done was have Eddie and the symbiote merge into Venom, then have Venom be the villain for Spidey 4 instead of shoving him into Spidey 3.

As I recall for SPidey 4, Rami wanted the Vulture and the studio had other ideas and they pretty much agreed to disagree and part ways.
In fearful COH-less days

AlphaFerret

• Boss
« Reply #5453 on: April 12, 2015, 12:47:31 AM »
Well, how is Bruce Campbell supposed to get a part in #4 without Sam?

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5454 on: April 12, 2015, 12:47:42 AM »

Time Travel really hasn't been brought into Agents of SHIELD so Deathlok time repairing could still happen. There are an infinite amount of timelines after all.

Does Cable count as a cyborg? he has the techno organic virus that makes him part machine but when cured of it he becomes normal flesh and blood.   

Also I forgot about the Marvel Character, Coldblood  7. Then again I think myself and America forgot about him.

As to the Eight Man, having watched some of the 60's cartoon and the 90's OVA which had a new mind in the Eight Man body, I'm trying to figure out what powers he'd have in COH:

1. Super Speed/Stealth/Invisibility are a given
2. Super Reflexes is also a given
3. But his melee powers.....he obviously has super strength and the 90's OVA showed that the mind inside the Eight Man had some serious pent up rage, so super strength, perma rage brute with maxed up fury bar seems right.   On the other hand he does his speed to take down targets so Kinetic Melee also springs to mind....

As to my choice of being the Eight Man, aside from needing an occasional energy boost to his internal power reactor for quick recharges when in battle he has no organic parts that will wear out and break down with age over time. He is 100% machine with the brainwaves of a human programmed into his cyber brain.

Bionic Man and Robocop still have organic parts that will age and wear down and can be susceptible to viruses and illness.
In fearful COH-less days

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5455 on: April 12, 2015, 02:54:49 AM »
oh right i forgot about all flesh cable. we'll replace him with spiral, cameron hodge and psylocke :P

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5456 on: April 12, 2015, 04:26:55 AM »
However, if Agents of Shield is consistent about anything, it is their desire not to give you the whole enchilada at the same time.  If they just trotted out DeathLok with ALL of his currently known abilities, we would not have the enjoyment of see how he gets them in this telling.  Pretty much the same for all the "supers" they show here.  They start with the basics, and grow towards what we know.

For the Marvel Cinematic universe, Marvel has pretty well established that they are borrowing from the comics, but not 100% beholden to them.  In fact, Marvel has officially designated the MCU as Earth-199999 within the greater Marvel multiverse, which means by definition it is not identical to the current reality of most of the Marvel mainstream comics.  It is, in a manner of speaking, a Marvel Elseworld.

Separate from that, there's been like, what, five Deathloks?  Not all of them have had similar backstories and abilities.

darkgob

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5457 on: April 16, 2015, 12:33:33 AM »
For the Marvel Cinematic universe, Marvel has pretty well established that they are borrowing from the comics, but not 100% beholden to them.  In fact, Marvel has officially designated the MCU as Earth-199999 within the greater Marvel multiverse, which means by definition it is not identical to the current reality of most of the Marvel mainstream comics.  It is, in a manner of speaking, a Marvel Elseworld.

Separate from that, there's been like, what, five Deathloks?  Not all of them have had similar backstories and abilities.

The big problem with this idea now is that Marvel is doing its own Crisis event...so what happens to the universes portrayed in animated series (current ones, the past ones wouldn't matter) and the MCU?

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5458 on: April 16, 2015, 04:40:37 AM »
The big problem with this idea now is that Marvel is doing its own Crisis event...so what happens to the universes portrayed in animated series (current ones, the past ones wouldn't matter) and the MCU?

It would seem practically ridiculous for Marvel to claim in their comics that their own MCU doesn't exist.  That would be ludicrous.  But how they handle that specifically is something I have no idea about.  The notion of alternate realities has always been a fuzzy one for both Marvel and DC; its been more of a fanciful thought than one grounded in any sort of logic - even comic book logic.

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #5459 on: April 16, 2015, 06:40:37 AM »
She-Hulk realizes she is just a comic book character.

Deadpool breaks the fouthwall whenever it suits him.

Impossible Man is really Mister Mxyzptlk thus messing with those two universes.

Comic retconning makes it possible to keep comics current with the culture.

So it would be unsurprising if Marvel or DC said any of variation of a universe didn't exist for the convenience of a particular story.
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"