Author Topic: And the mask comes off.  (Read 1749518 times)

Drauger9

• Elite Boss
    • My gaming blog
Re: And the mask comes off.
« Reply #4900 on: February 08, 2015, 08:54:20 PM »
I never got the whining about the market.. there were so many ways to get what you wanted. The market was only one..

Agreed, when Going Rogue came out. I found myself farming less and less. Instead, I'd run Hero mission and TFs for merits to buy uniques. Then farm for purples, the only time I really stepped into AE there near the end. Is if I wanted a character to 50 as fast as possible (like my Ninja/Poison MM which was my PVP experiment. LOL).

Thinking about how much the game was improving near the end, makes me want the game back more. :(, I could be dual logged right now, farming on one computer and running Hero mission on the other. :(

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4901 on: February 08, 2015, 09:02:14 PM »
LoTG + recharge.  120-250 million a pop for a while.  You could get enough merits for one in no time.  Most merits had access to them as well.  Great source of income as people were always buying them.

Drauger9

• Elite Boss
    • My gaming blog
« Reply #4902 on: February 08, 2015, 09:06:40 PM »
LoTG + recharge.  120-250 million a pop for a while.  You could get enough merits for one in no time.  Most merits had access to them as well.  Great source of income as people were always buying them.

Yep, plus the Miracle +end/recov ect... it made getting all the best IOs for you build a thousand times easier to me.

And with the Merit system, if you wanted to stagger you IOs for exemplaring for lower level TFs ect.. you could because you could choice what level the recipe was.

darkgob

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4903 on: February 08, 2015, 10:44:15 PM »
part the problem was uneven drop rates. dome people had purples and other "rare" drops falling on them regularly. others not so much. consistently. when Inventions came out, for the entire release, until the next release where they upped the drop rate, I never had a single wing recipe drop. not a single one. and I ran multiple characters to 50 in that time. people I teamed with would get a them often. while I didnt play "for the drops", I can see where this would cause people to do what they had to do to get $$$ to get what they wanted.

They're called "random drops" for a reason.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4904 on: February 08, 2015, 10:56:08 PM »
Agreed, when Going Rogue came out. I found myself farming less and less. Instead, I'd run Hero mission and TFs for merits to buy uniques. Then farm for purples, the only time I really stepped into AE there near the end. Is if I wanted a character to 50 as fast as possible (like my Ninja/Poison MM which was my PVP experiment. LOL).

Thinking about how much the game was improving near the end, makes me want the game back more. :(, I could be dual logged right now, farming on one computer and running Hero mission on the other. :(

My main farm missions were alignment missions because of the alignment merits i'd get for completing them.  They were harder due to harder groups, sure, but that wasn't really a problem for me.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4905 on: February 08, 2015, 11:18:05 PM »
So this is what a conversation at one of those exclusive wall street investor clubs is like. :)

All of us, long time players had gobs of influence to spend and play with. My whole problem with the system we had in game was that it was simply too confusing for anyone who might be somewhat new to the game.

The few times I got a friend involved they would look at things like the prices of certain IOs and think that they had to be playing the game hard core for months and months in order to get even one. Let alone the concept of filling out an entire char with IOs.
In order for them to understand all of the tweaks that could be used to bypass all of that (merits, farming, whatever trick you might want to employ) they had the n00bish glazed look over their eyes and went back to whatever game they were playing before. Kind of a better the devil you know approach.
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

Power Arc X

• Minion
« Reply #4906 on: February 08, 2015, 11:41:03 PM »
I had a 2 1/2 year period 2008-2010 without  a single purple drop. I would power level friends  and they dropped  like skittles  for them.  I remember  on one Rikti  radio Mish in RWZ  that in the period  of just 2 mobs 3 purples dropped  for them. A few days after that the purples  started dropping  for me at a rate of 1 a day.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 12:29:11 AM by Power Arc X »

ivanhedgehog

• New Efforts # 25,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4907 on: February 09, 2015, 12:02:10 AM »
They're called "random drops" for a reason.

the chances of zero hits in literally 100ks is very small. unless you are telling me the odds are different for every player? it wouldnt be the first time the rng was implemented improperly in COH. Its as bad as swtor having a 20% reverse engineering attempt fail 140 times in a row. for multiple people. enough that people started keeping track of it. the rng is a known element. the guy that puts it into place in code is just a normal coder though. he can make mistakes believe it or not.he is just a human.

darkgob

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4908 on: February 09, 2015, 12:55:18 AM »
the chances of zero hits in literally 100ks is very small. unless you are telling me the odds are different for every player? it wouldnt be the first time the rng was implemented improperly in COH. Its as bad as swtor having a 20% reverse engineering attempt fail 140 times in a row. for multiple people. enough that people started keeping track of it. the rng is a known element. the guy that puts it into place in code is just a normal coder though. he can make mistakes believe it or not.he is just a human.

Just because the chances of something happening are small, that doesn't mean it's impossible.  Is it possible that the RNG was flawed?  Maybe.  But people jump to blame it way too quickly.  It's not always "bugged drop mechanics", sometimes it's just bad luck.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4909 on: February 09, 2015, 01:39:03 AM »
"X number of times in a row" doesn't matter to RNGs that are not built with a failsafe (like City's tohit failure streak breaker). Every single attempt is completely separate and not connected in any way, shape, or fashion to any other attempt. A 20% success rate can definitely fail 140 times in a row...it can technically fail 10000000 times in a row for a really, spectacularly unlucky person.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

ivanhedgehog

• New Efforts # 25,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4910 on: February 09, 2015, 01:50:49 AM »
"X number of times in a row" doesn't matter to RNGs that are not built with a failsafe (like City's tohit failure streak breaker). Every single attempt is completely separate and not connected in any way, shape, or fashion to any other attempt. A 20% success rate can definitely fail 140 times in a row...it can technically fail 10000000 times in a row for a really, spectacularly unlucky person.

it can. but to have that happen to multiple characters in a row within the space of a month? very unlikely. of course swtor is run on a shoestring and has a very poor development staff. they cant even get the loot difference on an 8 or 16 man raid right in the space of 2 months.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4911 on: February 09, 2015, 02:45:21 AM »
it can. but to have that happen to multiple characters in a row within the space of a month? very unlikely. of course swtor is run on a shoestring and has a very poor development staff. they cant even get the loot difference on an 8 or 16 man raid right in the space of 2 months.
"unlikely" doesn't mean "can't". It still means "can very rarely".
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

ivanhedgehog

• New Efforts # 25,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4912 on: February 09, 2015, 03:28:29 AM »
"unlikely" doesn't mean "can't". It still means "can very rarely".

a neutron star could hit the earth next week. dont plan on missing work though

hurple

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4913 on: February 09, 2015, 05:25:13 AM »
I had a 2 1/2 year period 2008-2010 without  a single purple drop. I would power level friends  and they dropped  like skittles  for them.  I remember  on one Rikti  radio Mish in RWZ  that in the period  of just 2 mobs 3 purples dropped  for them. A few days after that the purples  started dropping  for me at a rate of 1 a day.

I think I only got 2 or 3 purple drops the entire run of the game.  Seriously, I never seemed to get one.

I did, however, get a substantial amount of respec drops... An oddly huge amount, I always thought.

darkgob

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4914 on: February 09, 2015, 05:34:35 AM »
a neutron star could hit the earth next week. dont plan on missing work though

No it couldn't.  It would be impossible for us to not see it coming.  Never mind the fact that neutron stars don't behave that way.

ivanhedgehog

• New Efforts # 25,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4915 on: February 09, 2015, 05:56:35 AM »
No it couldn't.  It would be impossible for us to not see it coming.  Never mind the fact that neutron stars don't behave that way.

When did I say we wouldnt see it coming? and if we did see it coming, what would you do to stop it? and neutron stars dont move through space? alert nasa

ivanhedgehog

• New Efforts # 25,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4916 on: February 09, 2015, 05:58:01 AM »
I think I only got 2 or 3 purple drops the entire run of the game.  Seriously, I never seemed to get one.

I did, however, get a substantial amount of respec drops... An oddly huge amount, I always thought.

I played from I7 to close, had 34 50's. very very rarely did AE and never got a respec drop.

darkgob

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4917 on: February 09, 2015, 05:59:57 AM »
When did I say we wouldnt see it coming? and if we did see it coming, what would you do to stop it? and neutron stars dont move through space? alert nasa

Well, if we saw it coming then we would know about it right now, because there's no way

why the pancake am I arguing about this

ivanhedgehog

• New Efforts # 25,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4918 on: February 09, 2015, 07:37:14 AM »
Well, if we saw it coming then we would know about it right now, because there's no way

why the pancake am I arguing about this

I didnt say it was likely, just possible. that was the point

Drauger9

• Elite Boss
    • My gaming blog
« Reply #4919 on: February 09, 2015, 09:08:59 AM »
So this is what a conversation at one of those exclusive wall street investor clubs is like. :)

All of us, long time players had gobs of influence to spend and play with. My whole problem with the system we had in game was that it was simply too confusing for anyone who might be somewhat new to the game.

I never had gobs of influence :(, I was to much of an altaholic to keep influence around. I did almost hit the influence cap on my old main though. I was trying to get the badge, actually I think I got it.