Author Topic: And the mask comes off.  (Read 1749440 times)

MegaWatt

• Boss
  • No i didnt call security bots......uh oh!
Re: And the mask comes off.
« Reply #4740 on: January 18, 2015, 06:15:31 AM »
That is why i do not look at the mechanics of the game and just tromp along like a happy idiot. That probably wont work for every one though and CO did Power armor and Guns -very- well at least to me (who could never manage to make a good PA Character in CoX but who will be trying to if/when it comes back....if i can get some of the cool mecha parts. Err sorry ranting !).
If we set it on fire it'll burn....but that'd leave evidence...I KNOW ! COMPLETE ATOMIZATION! WOOOO!

duane

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4741 on: January 18, 2015, 02:51:01 PM »
That is why i do not look at the mechanics of the game and just tromp along like a happy idiot. That probably wont work for every one though and CO did Power armor and Guns -very- well at least to me (who could never manage to make a good PA Character in CoX but who will be trying to if/when it comes back....if i can get some of the cool mecha parts. Err sorry ranting !).

Don't feel bad, I like having superficial knowledge of the underworkings of the beautiful machine that is City of Heroes -- just enough to take advantage of things I should know to and not be a complete noob.  Yes, casual player who played from beta to close and I was still discovering arcs, configurations and "things" until the month of the closing.    I did not have my first 50 until year 3 or 4 of the game but I managed to close the game with almost one 50 for each archtype except the damn arachnos solder and warshade.

Whatelse73

• Minion
« Reply #4742 on: January 18, 2015, 06:18:58 PM »
I liked listening to all the specifics on certain builds, powers, etc.  However, I pretty much went my own way too for certain things depending on my own play style.

I did notice when certain things were squishy or strong (i.e., MM ninjas being very squishy, but good at single target attacks).  But, I still tried to enjoy the various facets of the game.  though I didn't so much get into the warshade/peacemaker, nor the arachnos archetypes.  I tried them out though, but not for me.  I didn't do too many of the tanks either, but I did play them.

I'm sure when we get back into game and even "when" the CoX 1.5 option comes around, there will be plenty of info out there along with testers of various things.  I'm just eager to get back to heroing or villainry at this point. 

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4743 on: January 18, 2015, 07:16:03 PM »

Don't feel bad, I try to do that myself when I first start playing an MMO.  You're never happier than when you don't know what you don't know.  But at least for me, that's not a situation that can last for long.

pinballdave

• Elite Boss
  • I am the player formerly known as Psylenz
« Reply #4744 on: January 19, 2015, 12:37:40 AM »
I liked listening to all the specifics on certain builds, powers, etc.  However, I pretty much went my own way too for certain things depending on my own play style.

I did notice when certain things were squishy or strong (i.e., MM ninjas being very squishy, but good at single target attacks).  But, I still tried to enjoy the various facets of the game.  though I didn't so much get into the warshade/peacemaker, nor the arachnos archetypes.  I tried them out though, but not for me.  I didn't do too many of the tanks either, but I did play them.

I'm sure when we get back into game and even "when" the CoX 1.5 option comes around, there will be plenty of info out there along with testers of various things.  I'm just eager to get back to heroing or villainry at this point.

I remember I was trying a lot of new mastermind combos when the  'raid buff' came out where speed boost, sonic shields, forcefields, thermal-shields, were all now aoe. Raid or not, grouping masterminds with masterminds was scary how buffed all the minions would get. Thermal heals, Pain dom heals, twilight grasp and fluffy heals, along with time manipulation buffs and nature's affinity let MMs rock out with 3 or four masterminds making squishy minions, burly teammates.

Waffles

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4745 on: January 21, 2015, 06:08:21 PM »
Thugs/devices was probably the most broken mastermind combo I messed around with.

Put both of the defense aura enhancements on the enforcers, got the accuracy/defense alpha, with force field and scorpion shield, neither I, or my minions could be touched, and that goes double for when I had poison gas, caltraps with the knockdown proc, and trip mines/acid motars.

Hell, Gangwar>Burnout>Gangwar was some fun times.

It was nuts.

AlienOne

• HumanZero
  • Elite Boss
  • Resident Kheldian
« Reply #4746 on: January 22, 2015, 07:44:57 PM »
I remember a SG mate mention in chat that he finally worked out. Build for one character, but it'd take him a while to earn enough to get all the IOs he needed.  People started piping in with "What did you need, I'll see what I got". "I have some of those crafted, I'll drop them in the bins". "I got the salvage to craft those I'll mail them to you".  He got almost all he needed from people in the SG

That is one of the biggest things I miss about CoH, that kind of community.  I have yet to join any group in another game that was willing to just help out other members, just because they could.

That's how it was for me when I was playing... I had a group of friends (we had our own SGs--I think between us all, we were running around 4 or 5 SGs) that would just hop on Skype and say "Hey, I need _____ does anyone happen to have it?" Most of the time, someone would, and we'd just pass stuff around amongst ourselves.

I think the most inf I ever put down on any char I played was my main character (my Warshade)... I spent about 2 or 3 billion to get him where I wanted him, but that includes around 30 or 40 respecs--and all three builds were full of IOs on him. He had a human-only build, a dual form build, and a tri-form build, and all of them were fully spec'd.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 08:03:53 PM by AlienOne »
"What COH did was to show [developers of other] MMOs what they could be like if they gave up on controlling everything in the game, and just made it something great to play."  - Johnny Joy Bringer

Waffles

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4747 on: January 23, 2015, 12:19:08 AM »
That's how it was for me when I was playing... I had a group of friends (we had our own SGs--I think between us all, we were running around 4 or 5 SGs) that would just hop on Skype and say "Hey, I need _____ does anyone happen to have it?" Most of the time, someone would, and we'd just pass stuff around amongst ourselves.

I think the most inf I ever put down on any char I played was my main character (my Warshade)... I spent about 2 or 3 billion to get him where I wanted him, but that includes around 30 or 40 respecs--and all three builds were full of IOs on him. He had a human-only build, a dual form build, and a tri-form build, and all of them were fully spec'd.

Shut the front door. You pulled three purpled out builds with only two bill?

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #4748 on: January 23, 2015, 12:44:13 AM »
Shut the front door. You pulled three purpled out builds with only two bill?

The only purple explicitly mentioned in the post was the Warshade itself :P And even if it is all purples, it doesn't have to be good purples.
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4749 on: January 23, 2015, 01:14:23 AM »
And getting IOs with tickets, reward merits, and alignment merits meant the only money spent was on crafting & maybe buying salvage.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Waffles

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4750 on: January 23, 2015, 01:22:56 AM »
The only purple explicitly mentioned in the post was the Warshade itself :P And even if it is all purples, it doesn't have to be good purples.

I've seen his builds on the forums, they are pretty much purpled out.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4751 on: January 23, 2015, 01:27:43 AM »

Players that did not build with high-end enhancements may not realize that there was a wide range of prices for different purple IOs at different times.  For example many control purples at different times could be had for 5 million-ish.  A lot of inf, but not billions-and-billions a lot.  And they got even cheaper after the merit system came out.  Towards the end, you could have made many purple-set builds for hundreds of millions, rather than billions of inf.

silvers1

• Boss
« Reply #4752 on: January 23, 2015, 03:37:14 AM »
Players that did not build with high-end enhancements may not realize that there was a wide range of prices for different purple IOs at different times.  For example many control purples at different times could be had for 5 million-ish.  A lot of inf, but not billions-and-billions a lot.  And they got even cheaper after the merit system came out.  Towards the end, you could have made many purple-set builds for hundreds of millions, rather than billions of inf.

I never saw any builds on the forums that required purple sets.  For the most part, purples were used for their procs and that's about it.

Reminds me of one ITF where the tanker bragged about all his purple enhancements, then proceeded to die about 3 times more than anyone else on the team.  :)

--- Hercules - Freedom Server ---

Pyromantic

• New Efforts # 16,000!
  • Boss
« Reply #4753 on: January 23, 2015, 03:51:49 AM »
I never saw any builds on the forums that required purple sets.  For the most part, purples were used for their procs and that's about it.

Reminds me of one ITF where the tanker bragged about all his purple enhancements, then proceeded to die about 3 times more than anyone else on the team.  :)

Purples could be an important part of builds, but it really depended.  The character I had that saw the most play was my Kat/WP, which was built largely for health and regen with enough recharge to maintain my attack chain and a smattering of extra defense.  Very few purples, and not a very expensive build relatively speaking.  My plant/rad and WS on the other hand had a ton of purples because they relied so heavily on a lot of recharge.

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #4754 on: January 23, 2015, 04:33:17 AM »
I got along without many purples, I didn't really add any until the last few months of the game.

I hope I will get to rectify that situation when the game is reinstated.
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
« Reply #4755 on: January 23, 2015, 05:22:42 AM »
Very few of my builds had many purples...and every build I have done for the relaunch has been devoid of purple and pvp IOs. To me the only good bonuses from purples were usually the 10% recharge, but I never really needed those. The procs could be nice on certain powers, but again not a necessity. I doubt I will use many purples when the game returns...but I do look forward to getting lots of pvp +3% Defense IOs again :)

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4756 on: January 23, 2015, 05:37:47 AM »
My claws/regen scrapper was built for maximum recharge. She had a ton of purples in her build. She was the only character I ever IO'd out enthusiastically. And even then I stalled out at about 80% complete...she had empty holes and SOs in the rest of her slots, and no one was the wiser. lol

A few of my other characters had a few pieces here and there, but by and large, most of them actually used SOs or generics. (Heck: my main, Aggelakis, an emp/arch defender, was full of HOs from before the Hami revamp.)
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4757 on: January 23, 2015, 07:45:56 AM »
My fortunata was my only character with purple IO's everywhere, needing the recharge to make farsight permanent.  I had little regrets.  But I also had an extreme-recharge kineticist who didn't have purple recipes, because I was already triple-stacking fulcrum shift on her.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4758 on: January 23, 2015, 12:09:36 PM »
I managed to purchase a coupe of complete purple sets for less than 1 mill Inf once. I think it was a fluke of un-nature or something that allowed me to manage it. That and they were the less wanted sets. Immobilize and Slow, I think.
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4759 on: January 23, 2015, 02:01:56 PM »
I frankenslotted everything.

I had mixtures of various IO's, procs and bonuses to get what I wanted. In most cases full sets were not the best case. Often I would have 3 of one type and 3 of another to get the bonus I wanted.

On my sonic/ice blaster I had a number of people ask for my build after seeing her in action. Tanking the ITF on a blaster was fun :)