Author Topic: And the mask comes off.  (Read 1748604 times)

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
Re: And the mask comes off.
« Reply #4720 on: January 16, 2015, 12:58:08 AM »
With, this I find it mind boggling that you paid real money to a SG mate for inf.  And not in the "why would someone pay real money for influence way". But more in the "A SG member charged you for influence!?".  :)

We apparently ran in very different crowds :). I remember a SG mate mention in chat that he finally worked out. Build for one character, but it'd take him a while to earn enough to get all the IOs he needed.  People started piping in with "What did you need, I'll see what I got". "I have some of those crafted, I'll drop them in the bins". "I got the salvage to craft those I'll mail them to you".  He got almost all he needed from people in the SG

That is one of the biggest things I miss about CoH, that kind of community.  I have yet to join any group in another game that was willing to just help out other members, just because they could.
Well, it works out that our poorest (in RL) member happened to be our best farmer and most skilled marketeer; he was positively swimming in cash and loot in-game.  Whereas I make the most (in RL) in our group of friends, but had less time to game.  As I had expensive tastes in-game (give me lots of those lovely purples and LotGs for my L50's!), it seemed a reasonable trade.  I think our typical rate was $10 billion INF for $100 USD.  I must have paid him at least $500 over about 4 years.  We used to joke that he was an honorary Chinese Gold Farmer.  ;)

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4721 on: January 16, 2015, 02:14:21 AM »
Oh, I do miss playing the market in game. I just couldn't get over that some people were willing to pay 2 billion inf for one of those 3% resistance IOs from the PvP zones. I'd do those weekly hero merit runs with *every* character I had. Some of them multiple times for the different rewards. Then, when they had several of those mini-arcs, I'd run all of them on all my characters that could easily do them.

I think I must have sold about 20 or so of those after I put them to good use in my favored characters.

In real life, at the time, I'd spent a year unemployed, pretty much broke. Savings account getting smaller and smaller. Heck, I'd play just to feel rich, lol. Ah, those were the days of playing for hours and hours on end...thankfully those days are over.

It was always nice to be able to drop 100 million inf before the Really Hard Way runs to help out those who didn't have all the bells and whistles to give them every edge they could get.
Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4722 on: January 16, 2015, 04:26:42 AM »
Oh, I do miss playing the market in game. I just couldn't get over that some people were willing to pay 2 billion inf for one of those 3% resistance IOs from the PvP zones. I'd do those weekly hero merit runs with *every* character I had. Some of them multiple times for the different rewards. Then, when they had several of those mini-arcs, I'd run all of them on all my characters that could easily do them.

I think I must have sold about 20 or so of those after I put them to good use in my favored characters.

At one point, I was farming PvPIOs just to measure the relative drop rate.  I might have been responsible for a significant fraction of the PvP sales prior to F2P at certain times.  When you spend literally years running multi-box sessions measuring defense powers, testing critter AI, farming Empath, measuring the server clock - eventually when the day comes and you decide you want a few PvPIOs to round out a couple of builds, it doesn't take long before your home computers become a PvPIO factory:

If the game does come back, and I have time to play when it does, and the operators decide not to reseed the marketplace (assuming the marketplace itself comes back: those were a separate set of servers from the actual game servers), well, its possible *someone* might try to fill the markets back up again.

(It would probably be in the operators' best interests to just up and give me admin9 rather than have me blitz the game servers with that activity, actually).

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #4723 on: January 16, 2015, 05:56:00 AM »
(It would probably be in the operators' best interests to just up and give me admin9 rather than have me blitz the game servers with that activity, actually).

Pfft, AL10 or bust. You need 10 to use the really fun stuff like the I Win Button or Vince Is Evil.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4724 on: January 16, 2015, 11:51:28 AM »
Or turn it up to 11.

darkgob

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4725 on: January 16, 2015, 03:27:03 PM »
Or turn it up to 11.

11 is great and all, but I think 12 is more intense.

AmberOfDzu

• Boss
« Reply #4726 on: January 16, 2015, 03:44:00 PM »
Oh, I do miss playing the market in game. I just couldn't get over that some people were willing to pay 2 billion inf for one of those 3% resistance IOs from the PvP zones.

If one has tens or hundreds of billions, 2 billion for an IO may not seem like much.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4727 on: January 16, 2015, 04:48:03 PM »
I paid 100 million for something (I think it was the knockback to knockdown IO - out of season) - thats the highest I ever went.

I used to reroll my characters often into a different powerset and I would keep the stuff I would need from their builds and give the rest away.

AmberOfDzu

• Boss
« Reply #4728 on: January 16, 2015, 05:18:26 PM »
I didn't usually make builds that required the priciest unique IOs. I would go for purples often, when they made sense, but I think the priciest IOs I went after normally were the LotG's.

Graydar

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4729 on: January 16, 2015, 06:28:29 PM »
ughuhuh

I just finished playing Champions and came to the realization that it was a WoW clone with a CoH skin slapped on it, now I am without an MMO. *wah wah wah sound effect*

Wish I could get back to pummeling those sniveling snots in their spandex already. :P

Pyromantic

• New Efforts # 16,000!
  • Boss
« Reply #4730 on: January 16, 2015, 06:47:25 PM »
Been thinking about what character I would want to make first--there are many contenders.

The character I played most in the past was my Kat/WP scrapper, which is a bit of a funny choice for me since I didn't play scrappers all that often otherwise.  A couple of other 50s.  I'm actually not sure I want to remake it simply because I spent sooo much time on it that it would be feeling too much like retreading old ground. 

My favourite AT on the whole was the controller, and I had a Plant/Rad I really liked and will almost certainly remake quickly.  Been thinking about Dark/Time too.  Think that would be a fun combo.  I was levelling a Demon/Therm MM which I think I will remake as Demon/Dark, as I like the mechanics better and it actually fits the character concept better too.  But I'm really thinking about my WS.  Hella fun to play.

In terms of how much I spent on builds, that varied quite a bit.  My Kat/WP was built for a lot of health and regen with a couple of purple sets, so even though it was probably my sturdiest character it was nowhere close to the most expensive.  My WS and Plant/Rad really emphasized recharge with decent defense, and that got really expensive.  Totally worth it though.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4731 on: January 16, 2015, 07:29:57 PM »
I paid 100 million for something (I think it was the knockback to knockdown IO - out of season) - thats the highest I ever went.

I used to reroll my characters often into a different powerset and I would keep the stuff I would need from their builds and give the rest away.

Highest I bought IO's for was about 300 million, but then I was selling purple recipes for that much at the time already.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #4732 on: January 16, 2015, 07:47:55 PM »
There were plenty of people who were actually mega rich in game funds but from someone who never had more than 25 billion, let me say that I would build whatever seemed like it would be fun to play. Most powerful or not wasn't the point for me.

But having stacks of cash meant that if I wanted to spend a stack on LOTG global defense, I would. If I was building blaster towards softcap positional defense I would gladly spend a couple billion on that PvP I/O. It was great fun to pop a purple and Buildup leap into a mob with DP blasters and trigger the T9 power and watch them die. I would and will gladly spend the fake money to do so again.

But I also liked to make level 35 builds with I/O's and so planned the builds out in advance and saved a bunch by being patient, running Alignment missions and using reward merits to buy the elusive shineys.

(PS. I have been told many times that you can't actually softcap positional defense with a blaster. I certainly never did, but I got close enough to make a PBAOE work and not die so, close enough!)
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4733 on: January 16, 2015, 07:49:48 PM »
ughuhuh

I just finished playing Champions and came to the realization that it was a WoW clone with a CoH skin slapped on it, now I am without an MMO. *wah wah wah sound effect*

Wish I could get back to pummeling those sniveling snots in their spandex already. :P

Hmm.  I just recently decided to pick up CO again and give it a spin after a long absence.  I wouldn't describe the game in that way.  In what way does CO feel like WoW to you?  Its definitely not like CoH, but compared to CoH My Little Pony Online is basically a glittery equestrian WoW. 

There is a basic formula for MMOs, and that formula isn't bad on its own: there's a reason why all cars have the steering wheel and brake pad in the same place.  Then every MMO tries to differentiate itself by extending and evolving the formula.  There aren't tons of MMOs that aren't like that.  Eve Online is not like that.  CoH wasn't like that not for lack of trying initially, but more from continuously failing to achieve that and ending up in strange (and sometimes wonderful places).  But I think its a relative thing where I wouldn't say that a Tesla S is basically like an F-150 only smaller and electric, because the steering wheels are both round.  CO's powers are a lot less structured in their design.  CO's gear is a lot more fluffy and a lot more secondary than in WoW.  CO's mission content tends to be less involved.  Street sweeping is less pronounced now than at launch compared to WoW.  CO doesn't "feel" like WoW to me, but that's just my opinion, being an expert in neither of them.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4734 on: January 16, 2015, 08:37:50 PM »
ughuhuh

I often cannot play the game more than one or two months at a time.  Some immediately pointed out the quest structure to me as WoW-ish even before it came out of beta.  The longest I played it was one year, but then I got so burned out I went back to city of heroes as they weren't even trying to make any sizable amount of new content any more.  They still don't today I mean, they released a rather ugly bike on the C-store no one will buy, again.

What CO feels like to me, though, I often use a variety of comparisons.

City of heroes had a lot of depth, like the original Deus Ex and even human revolution after it.  Not to mention, higher damage from enemies.

Champions online had very little depth, similar to Deus Ex Invisible war.  And enemies were far less threatening when they lacked a rocket launcher or shotgun.

City of heroes story telling generally improved without making the player character a mary sue.  In a way, it's story telling improved as much as Harry Potter though the series(from somewhat a marty stu to a total deconstruction of that, even revealing harry's pro's becoming more his own flaws).  Enemies would also present a challenge to keep any such feelings of becoming a sue more in check, combined with of course the archtype system in the game made it far harder to make a sue-like character.  You had to solve problems.  If you became overpowered likewise it was because you really knew the game, your character, how to make your character more powerful and you earned it...unlike...

....Champions Online.  Story telling quality mimics more of what you'd expect from a teenage fanboy; a bad mary sue story that gets people upset.  Even the NPCs in the game treat you like your the only person in the spotlight(with npcs walking out of their way to worship you for even the more trivial things).  Enemies were specifically toned down so any badly built character could beat them, then later the archtypes came out and enemies were left weak enough for them.  Then the power creep from On Alert made the game utterly trivial and a snoozefest.  If your an archtype, the game may be slightly challenging, but even then it is likely to be boring.  Freeform?  Everything is curbstomped even if your not min/maxing.  It's all about that power fantasy to make you feel super overpowered right off the bat.  You were practically given the feeling and it ends up hallow for it.  Just as mary sue plots always end up.

One person said this to me.  Champions online is very wide, true, but it's only an inch deep.  City of heroes wasn't just wide, it had multiple layers of soil, sedimentary layers, igneous intrusive, igneous extrusive, and metamorphic layers.  It took time to discover that and it was very satisfying to.  Both games were easy to learn but, city of heroes kept you learning well after the tutorial.  Champions online that learning stops short.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #4735 on: January 16, 2015, 08:38:33 PM »

Yeah, a couple 100 millions is the highest I ever went.... in net worth....
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4736 on: January 16, 2015, 10:03:59 PM »
One person said this to me.  Champions online is very wide, true, but it's only an inch deep.  City of heroes wasn't just wide, it had multiple layers of soil, sedimentary layers, igneous intrusive, igneous extrusive, and metamorphic layers.  It took time to discover that and it was very satisfying to.  Both games were easy to learn but, city of heroes kept you learning well after the tutorial.  Champions online that learning stops short.

Its really difficult to explain from a design perspective, but to me the best games have a balance between freedom and structure.  There must be enough freedom to be interesting, but that freedom has to exist within an environment of structure or its often pointless.  The best analogy I can come up with is painting with black ink on a white canvas.  You can only use so much black ink on the white canvas before it becomes a black canvas with a white drawing.  At some point, removing too much structure makes the freedom that remains an amorphous blob.  I think the City of Heroes powers and archetype system had a good amount of freedom and structure - not perfect, but good.  CO removes too much structure, and you end up with only a little bit of interesting white in a sea of black.  There are more possible combinations of builds in CO, but less interesting combinations.

The *engine* is in many ways far superior.  But its used in a way that blurs so many distinctions between how things work that it actually eliminates some of the choices that CoH has.  The melee landscape was very rich in CoH specifically because the archetype structure made different choices interestingly distinct.  The melee landscape in CO is a lot blander, even if superficially there are more options in some areas.  The buff and control landscape was far superior in CoH, even if it was a little broken.  By being relatively straight forward, the gear system in CoH was more interesting to explore: its a larger, but in my opinion far more confused mess in CO.  There are no easy obvious paths to guide the novice, and optimization is very opaque unless you are an expert. 

I wouldn't say there's nothing to learn past the tutorial.  I would say there's no obvious roadmap to anything past the tutorial.  A CoH player could start with the standard enhancements and graduate to common IOs and then begin experimenting with sets in an organic way.  And its obvious you are looking at three different systems of enhancement, each with advantages over the previous in stages.  You're introduced to them gradually, and you can safely ignore almost all of it without hurting yourself significantly.

If you jump into CO now, starting from scratch, you have to contend with having a primary and secondary offense slot you can put gear in, without any guidance as to what might be good or bad to put in those.  And you only get one each, so you have to make choices immediately.  But from day one you'll be confronted with gear that increases stats, gear that provides powers, gear that modifies powers, and no way to judge what might be better or worse except maybe via the cost of the items - which is *not* always a good guide (and of course just to make life a little more difficult instead of one linear currency value they use a denominated currency, because why not).

So you have six different slots (primary/secondary offense/defense/utility) and yet all of the gear that goes into each slot can theoretically offer stat boosts, offensive or defensive abilities, and offensive or defensive boosts.  That's an example of what I call "worthless detail."  Six different slots, but really six slots with arbitrary distinctions on what you can slot in them.  Right now one of my CO alts has offensive gear that buffs my defense stat and defensive gear that buffs offense, because of course they do.  Its a level of detail that is confusing, but in no way creates any opportunity for more interesting builds than would be possible if all six were generic slots.  In CoH there were set inventions limited to different kinds of powers, and while the bonuses they offered were not always logical, the fact that different archetypes were likely to benefit more from certain sets (by having more of those kinds of powers) meant those differences had an actual impact on build diversity.  A case where structure highlights differences, and lack of structure erases them, making the lack of structure ironically remove choices.

Minotaur

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4737 on: January 16, 2015, 11:27:49 PM »

In real life, at the time, I'd spent a year unemployed, pretty much broke. Savings account getting smaller and smaller. Heck, I'd play just to feel rich, lol. Ah, those were the days of playing for hours and hours on end...thankfully those days are over.

It was always nice to be able to drop 100 million inf before the Really Hard Way runs to help out those who didn't have all the bells and whistles to give them every edge they could get.

2 billion, you was robbed, I sold 3 level 10 ones for 4 billion each off market, and then went straight to the market and bought a lvl 50 for 2BN, it seemed cheap. Of course enhancement converters fixed all that.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4738 on: January 17, 2015, 01:54:42 AM »
Its really difficult to explain from a design perspective, but to me the best games have a balance between freedom and structure.  There must be enough freedom to be interesting, but that freedom has to exist within an environment of structure or its often pointless.  The best analogy I can come up with is painting with black ink on a white canvas.  You can only use so much black ink on the white canvas before it becomes a black canvas with a white drawing.  At some point, removing too much structure makes the freedom that remains an amorphous blob.  I think the City of Heroes powers and archetype system had a good amount of freedom and structure - not perfect, but good.  CO removes too much structure, and you end up with only a little bit of interesting white in a sea of black.  There are more possible combinations of builds in CO, but less interesting combinations.

The *engine* is in many ways far superior.  But its used in a way that blurs so many distinctions between how things work that it actually eliminates some of the choices that CoH has.  The melee landscape was very rich in CoH specifically because the archetype structure made different choices interestingly distinct.  The melee landscape in CO is a lot blander, even if superficially there are more options in some areas.  The buff and control landscape was far superior in CoH, even if it was a little broken.  By being relatively straight forward, the gear system in CoH was more interesting to explore: its a larger, but in my opinion far more confused mess in CO.  There are no easy obvious paths to guide the novice, and optimization is very opaque unless you are an expert.

You pretty much nailed on the head regarding CO.  While CO players will often say "Well you have infinite freedom", reality is you don't with it.  Many powers "Nuances" are very bland, or generic, or entirely ignorable.  They appear fine at first but once you discover how little a difference 99% of them make, your often left with the realisation that alot of things play alike in a very generic manner, so you end up discouraged from trying many things or encouraged to only try a few things that do have an impact.

A good example for pve, is the difference between fire, ice and lightning.  Ice has no energy unlock.  It has a scant few good powers, but only really avalanche.  Well, sure, you can use other powers, but avalanche is far better, and ST wise ice has nothing.  With no energy unlock though, and no really interesting or useful secondary effects, it's beaten by fire and lightning.

Even fire struggles to keep up with lightning, likewise, due to it's lack of good ST damage.  The best you can do is flashfire(to trigger clinging flames), fire snake + fireball with unstable to boost conflageration, but then conflageration has to remain at rank 2 because if the badguy moves, you stop doing damage.  You have to do this same thing for all enemies lone enemies or otherwise, cause it's the only high damage combo really.  Fire blast sucks.  It also doesn't have a very strong energy unlock.
'
So then we approach lightning.  Has alot of the same abilities, just different flavors again, but it's energy unlock is far better than fire, negative ions boost the damage of arc lightning, a good ST attack that is almost up there with two gun.  Lightning storm works far better likewise than either avalanche or conflageration.  All you need to guarantee negative ions is ball lightning.  You don't need as many powers as you do fire and your doing top damage.  So lightning beats fire, which beats ice.

Sure, you could use frost breath in ice and ice blast, but why not just use two-gun?  Or arch lightning?  Theme?  It's just far weaker.  And less versatile to boot since you need ice form to make ice blast remotely useful.  Thing is if you look at a lot of sets you see the problem.  I'll get more into this later, Constantine is coming on.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4739 on: January 17, 2015, 04:07:32 AM »
The, other example that comes to mind for me, is the combos in CO.  No one uses martial arts claws.  Why?  Beast claws.  It's main combo has an advantage that adds the "Shredded" debuff, and causes bleeding at the same time.  With aspect of the beast(rage stacks gained from causing bleed), you can easily use strength and ignore dex and use crit gear instead.  This means you have more defense, and more offense at the same time.

Beast claws main combo out-damages just about every combo, because of shredder and it's bleed-stacking.  It's also easy to throw other combos for the +dodge or maybe better agro grabbing.  Beast claws just, far out-classes other melee combos.  Kind of sad really.  So the savage, besides having regeneration, ends up really popular and devastating.  It's a simple case of "Does everything the others do just better".  And it's just, every kind of type of power in CO kind of falls into that trap, one far outclasses the others of it's type.  Two gun mojo far out-damages ST maintains, conviction far out-classes the self-heals, quarry and night warrior far out-class the other offensive passives ect.  It's, kind of sad and alot of it boils down to everything just being a repainted version of another power with the stats changed but no nuances, so one ends up outclassing the other...