Author Topic: And the mask comes off.  (Read 1747910 times)

Dareon Kale

• Minion
Re: And the mask comes off.
« Reply #4680 on: January 14, 2015, 03:02:20 PM »
Grav/Time Controller first, I think. After that I'll rebuild a couple of scrappers. MA/Regen and ??/EA, I haven't really decided where to go with the EA toon yet, but I'll probably end up in Street Justice since SS and EM aren't scrapper options. Anything after that will just be building characters that fit whatever theme I'm feeling at the time. No doubt some will be recreations, but many will be new.

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4681 on: January 14, 2015, 03:33:02 PM »
I wish I knew which to make first, but I know four that will have to be made fast. They were basically my last four projects (none completed) and I just can't get them out of my head.

A Beam/Poison Corrupter. Time/Ice, Naff/DP and TA/Sonic Defenders.

After that... several I'm sure.
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

Groundbreaker

• Minion
« Reply #4682 on: January 14, 2015, 03:49:33 PM »
Definitely redoing some of my favourite alts. Whether they will be the first ones I do or not is a question I don't think I can answer until I'm logging in again. :)

Claws/Regen - Scrapper
Willpower/Mace - Tank
Dark/Dark - Defender
"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing" - George Bernard Shaw

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4683 on: January 14, 2015, 04:41:47 PM »
Then I can help rebuild the market! That is one of my goals to flood the market. I hope those who get the game actually seed the market to begin with like set every item to 1000 in stock. It would boost those starting out again.

I plan on trying my best to seed the market if the new devs don't have those sorts of tools, even though that'll make my toons take much longer. only problem will be the market slot limitations. I figure we'll be best served by posting recipes that aren't common in the base ae rolls. Back when the game was live i'd do things like post salvage for 1 inf all the time but I have to think market slots will be too precious for that kind of thing. Salvage is easy enough to get from ae anyway. And holy hell i almost just wrote "mats" instead of "salvage". Really need CoX back soon :P

Also as far as planned alts, I just checked mids and evidently my jonesing to play has resulted in 33 planned alts already. Hopefully some of them won't seem so appealing when they require leveling and slotting.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4684 on: January 14, 2015, 07:54:35 PM »
Grav/Time Controller first, I think. After that I'll rebuild a couple of scrappers. MA/Regen and ??/EA, I haven't really decided where to go with the EA toon yet, but I'll probably end up in Street Justice since SS and EM aren't scrapper options. Anything after that will just be building characters that fit whatever theme I'm feeling at the time. No doubt some will be recreations, but many will be new.

I keep debating if a character should be a grav/time controller myself.  Alot of it boils down to the fact that, I want to really show people how support works in city of heroes when it comes back.  To show that there are so many more things you can do besides just being the healer who never attacks or does anything else know?
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4685 on: January 14, 2015, 08:40:13 PM »
I keep debating if a character should be a grav/time controller myself.  Alot of it boils down to the fact that, I want to really show people how support works in city of heroes when it comes back.  To show that there are so many more things you can do besides just being the healer who never attacks or does anything else know?

I was leveling Grav/Time when the game shutdown.  I really liked the combo, although I think you have to be a veteran player to get the most out of it.

I still think in terms of maximum jack of all trades, you can't beat Ill/Rad.  Its a cliche, but there isn't much that combo is missing.  Heals, confuse, speed, recovery, damage, rez, stealth, rainbow debuffs and indestructible aggro magnets.  The only things it doesn't do are defense and resistance buffs, and endurance drain.

rezulin

• Minion
« Reply #4686 on: January 14, 2015, 09:04:31 PM »
  Please , Please don't put salvage up for 1 inf.  Put it up for 200 inf for common, I think it was 400 for Uncommon, and Rares, well they weren't usually a problem.

See if you put them up for 1 inf, people will buy them for the minimum and turn around and sell them to vendors at 200 inf per.  This makes the buyer rich, (buy low sell high) and the supply dry up faster than . . than . .  well something that dries up real fast.

I had friends tell me how they made hundreds of thousands of inf this way.  It blew my mind and made me a little angry too, as the salvage that I needed would be either difficult to find, or priced WAY above what it should (looking at you Luck Charms).

By setting the floor at vendor buying prices, the supply remains relatively stable, unless someone is actively spending inf to destroy it.

Fuegocito

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #4687 on: January 14, 2015, 09:11:46 PM »
Common salvage vendors for 250, and that's a stupid way to make inf. It's such a tiny amount per piece and you can only bid on / carry so much salvage at once that it's terribly inefficient and takes forever to make a few hundred thousand, which isn't very much. You're actually losing inf compared to spending that time running missions or playing the market.

If you're going to buy vendor trash, level 50 recipes are a better bet, but even they take a while to build up any sizable amount.

AmberOfDzu

• Boss
« Reply #4688 on: January 14, 2015, 09:27:44 PM »
Vendoring under-priced items a nice way to get a little starter cash in the beginning, but I'd hate to try to make a lot of inf that way.

I used to list all my common salvage at 1 in the market, and still made money on it. Most players would bid over that, and this made up for the ones who snipped them off at 1inf. I wasn't trying to make a profit on this stuff though -- I was partly being charitable and partly getting the stuff out of my inventory.

The "real" money was in either serious farming, or playing the market in expensive, high-end, enhancements and recipes. I couldn't say which was better, since I didn't farm much or seriously.

pinballdave

• Elite Boss
  • I am the player formerly known as Psylenz
« Reply #4689 on: January 14, 2015, 10:38:30 PM »
Common salvage vendors for 250, and that's a stupid way to make inf. It's such a tiny amount per piece and you can only bid on / carry so much salvage at once that it's terribly inefficient and takes forever to make a few hundred thousand, which isn't very much. You're actually losing inf compared to spending that time running missions or playing the market.

If you're going to buy vendor trash, level 50 recipes are a better bet, but even they take a while to build up any sizable amount.

Where my characters got their walking around, change in the pocket money for basic IO upgrades was buying recipes on the market low such as level 35 generic Range recipes, or the excotic Level 45  Fly recipe type  of thing. The sellers usually underpriced the recipe and you could flat out vend them at the NPC for 10x more than the value it was sold at.

Most people wanted  level 30/35s or 50s, and I never  bought out all the level 30 and 35s of any type of generic recipe.

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4690 on: January 14, 2015, 11:48:26 PM »
Vendoring under-priced items a nice way to get a little starter cash in the beginning, but I'd hate to try to make a lot of inf that way.

I had a few lowbies who used to pay about 100 inf for salvage at the market, they would load up and then take that over to the vendor and sell it for 250 inf. It all added up surprisingly quickly, and paid for my first few sets of enhancements. I don't know why I used to do that, but I did. I could, and sometimes did transfer cash from loaded level 50s.... sometimes this sort of thing could be a fun little adjunct activity though.

Or maybe I am just weird  8)

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4691 on: January 15, 2015, 01:54:52 AM »
Of course comes the big question: once the game returns; how many will you recreate? The favorites? The powerhouses? All of them?

Or create a few then wait for CoH 1.5?
I've had a lot of time both during and after CoH's run to ponder what worked (for me) and what didn't.  By the end, I was playing Controllers almost exclusively, and, as my preferred roles were:

A)  Locking down groups with Holds and Slows
B)  Confusing enemies rather than fighting them myself, or loosing pets on them if I needed to
C)  Stealthing ahead to the end of the mission whenever I could possibly get away with it

My final most optimal choice (for me) was an Illusion/Time Controller.  The absolute best stealth in the game (go look up Stealth for a comparison chart on ParagonWiki), lots of long distance Holds and Slows, a Confuse available, and 2x pets (Phantom Army and Phantasm).  Since the shutdown, I've tweaked it in Mids, and even gotten some help here on the Character Optimization boards to make my last build even more efficient.

So at present, I'm primarily interested in picking up where I left off, though I've toyed with builds for a Fortunata and a Mind Dominator as well.

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4692 on: January 15, 2015, 02:14:27 AM »
I will recreate my Fire/Dark Corruptor first.

I can run him at +1x8 at level 10 and +4x8 at higher levels. Then I can help rebuild the market! That is one of my goals to flood the market. I hope those who get the game actually seed the market to begin with like set every item to 1000 in stock. It would boost those starting out again.
Some of you guys were playing a different game than me.   wow...

Rejolt

• Elite Boss
  • Infinity Server 2005-2012
« Reply #4693 on: January 15, 2015, 02:15:14 AM »
Lord, I forgot I'll no longer have the field crafter badge...

Rejolt Industries LLC is now a thing. Woo!

Rejolt

• Elite Boss
  • Infinity Server 2005-2012
« Reply #4694 on: January 15, 2015, 02:20:43 AM »

You can do insane things with a fire/dark with or without ae-catered missions

And to what I was playing late - mostly brutes and doms with the occasional controller when I wanted a team player.
Rejolt Industries LLC is now a thing. Woo!

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4695 on: January 15, 2015, 02:35:13 AM »

I had a fire blast/time manipulation corruptor that could probably have soloed on +4 8x, though I was playing on just 8X for killing speed purposes(more enemies dead = more drops per hour).  I could also do so on my energy/time corruptor, the time/fire defender certainly(yeah, I know, redundancy abound in there).  I could do so on my brute and my fortunata to.

It was how I got purple recipes to drop :).
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4696 on: January 15, 2015, 03:19:49 AM »
I was leveling Grav/Time when the game shutdown.  I really liked the combo, although I think you have to be a veteran player to get the most out of it.

I still think in terms of maximum jack of all trades, you can't beat Ill/Rad.  Its a cliche, but there isn't much that combo is missing.  Heals, confuse, speed, recovery, damage, rez, stealth, rainbow debuffs and indestructible aggro magnets.  The only things it doesn't do are defense and resistance buffs, and endurance drain.

Grav/Time is an awesome build. Here is my build at shutdown

Hero Plan by Mids' Hero Designer 1.96
http://www.cohplanner.com/

Click this DataLink to open the build!

: Level 50 Technology Controller
Primary Power Set: Gravity Control
Secondary Power Set: Time Manipulation
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Flight
Power Pool: Teleportation
Ancillary Pool: Psionic Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Crush -- HO:Nucle(A), HO:Nucle(3), HO:Nucle(3)
Level 1: Time Crawl -- Acc-I(A)
Level 2: Gravity Distortion -- Decim-Acc/Dmg(A), Decim-Dmg/EndRdx(5), Decim-Dmg/Rchg(5), Decim-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(15), Decim-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(34), HO:Perox(34)
Level 4: Temporal Mending -- Dct'dW-Heal(A), Dct'dW-Rchg(17), Dct'dW-Heal/Rchg(19), Dct'dW-Heal/EndRdx/Rchg(37), Dct'dW-Heal/EndRdx(37)
Level 6: Propel -- Decim-Acc/Dmg(A), Decim-Dmg/EndRdx(7), Decim-Dmg/Rchg(7), Decim-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(25), Decim-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(43), HO:Centri(46)
Level 8: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(9), RechRdx-I(9)
Level 10: Crushing Field -- Enf'dOp-Acc/EndRdx(A), TotHntr-Acc/EndRdx(11), GravAnch-Hold%(11), ImpSwft-Dam%(15), Posi-Dam%(17), TotHntr-Dam%(42)
Level 12: Time's Juncture -- HO:Enzym(A), HO:Enzym(13), HO:Enzym(13)
Level 14: Super Speed -- Clrty-Stlth(A)
Level 16: Distortion Field -- BasGaze-Acc/Hold(A), BasGaze-Acc/Rchg(23), BasGaze-EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(23), BasGaze-Rchg/Hold(39)
Level 18: Gravity Distortion Field -- BasGaze-Acc/Hold(A), BasGaze-Acc/Rchg(19), BasGaze-EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(21), BasGaze-Rchg/Hold(21), HO:Endo(25)
Level 20: Time Stop -- BasGaze-Acc/Hold(A), BasGaze-Acc/Rchg(36), BasGaze-EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(36), BasGaze-Rchg/Hold(37)
Level 22: Lift -- HO:Nucle(A), HO:Nucle(36), HO:Nucle(50)
Level 24: Hover -- LkGmblr-Rchg+(A)
Level 26: Wormhole -- Amaze-Stun(A), Amaze-Stun/Rchg(27), Amaze-Acc/Stun/Rchg(27), Amaze-Acc/Rchg(31), Amaze-EndRdx/Stun(34)
Level 28: Farsight -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(29), RechRdx-I(29), LkGmblr-Rchg+(40)
Level 30: Recall Friend -- Zephyr-ResKB(A)
Level 32: Singularity -- HO:Nucle(A), HO:Nucle(33), HO:Perox(33)
Level 35: Slowed Response -- HO:Lyso(A), HO:Lyso(42)
Level 38: Chrono Shift -- Dct'dW-Heal(A), Dct'dW-Heal/EndRdx(39), Dct'dW-Heal/Rchg(39), Dct'dW-Rchg(40), Dct'dW-Heal/EndRdx/Rchg(40)
Level 41: Mental Blast -- Decim-Acc/Dmg(A), Decim-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(42), Decim-Dmg/EndRdx(43), Decim-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(43), Decim-Dmg/Rchg(45), HO:Nucle(46)
Level 44: Indomitable Will -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(45), RechRdx-I(45), LkGmblr-Rchg+(46)
Level 47: Psionic Tornado -- Posi-Acc/Dmg(A), Posi-Dmg/EndRdx(48), Posi-Dmg/Rchg(48), Posi-Dmg/Rng(48), Posi-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(50), EndRdx-I(50)
Level 49: Temporal Selection -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Containment
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run
Level 2: Swift -- Flight-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- Numna-Regen/Rcvry+(A), Mrcl-Rcvry+(33)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- EndMod-I(A), EndMod-I(31), EndMod-I(31)
Level 50: Nerve Total Core Revamp
Level 50: Void Total Core Judgement
Level 50: Spectral Total Radial Conversion
Level 50: Polar Lights Total Core Improved Ally
Level 50: Ageless Partial Core Invocation
------------
------------
Set Bonus Totals:
  • 7.5% Defense(Energy)
  • 7.5% Defense(Negative)
  • 3.75% Defense(Ranged)
  • 6.75% Max End
  • 5% Enhancement(Immobilized)
  • 24% Enhancement(Accuracy)
  • 8% Enhancement(Heal)
  • 90% Enhancement(RechargeTime)
  • 34.34 HP (3.38%) HitPoints
  • Knockback (Mag -4)
  • Knockup (Mag -4)
  • MezResist(Immobilized) 8.25%
  • MezResist(Terrorized) 4.4%
  • 12.5% (0.21 End/sec) Recovery
  • 6.62% Resistance(Fire)
  • 6.62% Resistance(Cold)

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4697 on: January 15, 2015, 04:56:15 AM »
Lord, I forgot I'll no longer have the field crafter badge...

Don't remind me, some badges were not worth the grind and having to complete 5000 or so craftings was not worth it.
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

AmberOfDzu

• Boss
« Reply #4698 on: January 15, 2015, 01:20:29 PM »
Don't remind me, some badges were not worth the grind and having to complete 5000 or so craftings was not worth it.
But... but.. but... floating crafting table!!  :O

kierthos

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4699 on: January 15, 2015, 01:39:18 PM »
The first character I'd recreate is my Rad/Rad Defender.