Author Topic: And the mask comes off.  (Read 1748168 times)

Todogut

• Boss
    • Todogut on deviantART
Re: And the mask comes off.
« Reply #4560 on: December 20, 2014, 03:47:08 PM »
Unless Nate Downes explicitly posts it or says it directly then it's not news and just conjecture

Chris Hare, the project lead with Missing Worlds Media, stated in this thread and on Twitter that he is involved. In the podcast cited above, he made statements in an interview. So, it's not just conjecture, and it is news.

During the interview, Chris also stated:

We gotta get the game working first. And that's what my focus is on these days. If I can get the game working, then I can prove to these people that we are a serious business. They're talking to us, and that's great. But we have to show before we can do.

Does this statement indicate that MWM must "get <City of Titans> working first" to "prove to" NCSoft that MWM is "a serious business" before NCSoft will sell the City of Heroes IP to a holding company consisting of "members from NCSoft and members who work at Missing Worlds Media"?

PsiBug

• Minion
  • Hi everybuggy!
« Reply #4561 on: December 20, 2014, 04:54:59 PM »
(((EDIT: nevermind. looks like a matter of interpretation/ misinterpretation which is probably cleared up now.)))
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 05:24:37 PM by PsiBug »

lapucelle

• Minion
  • Warcabbit - Project Lead - CoT
    • City of Titans
« Reply #4562 on: December 20, 2014, 05:15:12 PM »
On 12/5/2014, Chris "Warcabbit" Hare was interviewed on episode 76 of the Rolling 20s podcast. Chris comes on at the 2:08 mark. He described the plan to acquire the CoH IP:

Had it been specified elsewhere that the holding company will consist of "members from NCSoft and members who work at Missing Worlds Media"? Does this mean that NCSoft will be part of the holding company and be involved ongoing in licensing the CoH IP?

Is Chris' statement just a different way of saying the same info as in Nate Downes' announcement? Or did Chris indicate some different/additional info?
It is essentially the same information as Nate's announcement.

It is looking likely that the holding company will have at least one person who works for NCSoft under a different hat, in it. As well as at least one person who works for MWM under a different hat.

However, since it will be different hats, while their opinions may be influenced by their other position, the corporation NCSoft would not have direct control over the holding company.

In short, someone's going to be there to make sure the holding company doesn't throw the CoH name on The Hitler Follies of 2045, an all-singing, all-dancing, all-torture extravaganza.

Given that I don't think anyone plans to do that, it's no big deal.

As far as 'working first', no, that's my personal focus. I am focusing on getting City of Titans working as best as anyone can. Note: A game is working _long_ before it is finished. Especially a MMO - think of all the zones we'll have to fill with content _after_ the core game functions are up and running.

I am not aware of any demand that we produce a functional game before they are willing to do this. However, it certainly would improve our bargaining position considerably.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4563 on: December 20, 2014, 07:46:19 PM »
I have no problem with this happening - the IP will remain - sort of - in NCSoft's reach.

However what steps are happening towards firing up the old game is our question? Is a group working towards getting that running?

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #4564 on: December 20, 2014, 08:29:07 PM »
I have no problem with this happening - the IP will remain - sort of - in NCSoft's reach.

However what steps are happening towards firing up the old game is our question? Is a group working towards getting that running?

The ONLY critical question in my mind is will the holding company be PREVENTING IP use or ENABLING IP use. 

If somebody reverse-engineers a stand-alone server software, will the holding company be more/equally likely than NCSoft to aggressively pursue/prosecute its distribution or will they license it for a nominal fee to enable anybody who wants to play with the toys to have at it?  Will it be closer to APR gets the keys or will it be closer to open-source.

But obviously nobody will know this until after the ink/blood is dry on the signatures.
"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4565 on: December 21, 2014, 12:49:07 AM »
Why the negativity? If they wanted it prevented they simply do NOTHING.

If they designate someone from their company to oversee the distribution of the CoH Ip - does that sound like they don't want to sell? Remember here - money is changing hands.

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #4566 on: December 21, 2014, 02:46:57 AM »
The ONLY critical question in my mind is will the holding company be PREVENTING IP use or ENABLING IP use. 

If somebody reverse-engineers a stand-alone server software, will the holding company be more/equally likely than NCSoft to aggressively pursue/prosecute its distribution or will they license it for a nominal fee to enable anybody who wants to play with the toys to have at it?  Will it be closer to APR gets the keys or will it be closer to open-source.

But obviously nobody will know this until after the ink/blood is dry on the signatures.
Some of the people involved in setting up the deal have explicitly stated that the whole point to the holding company is to allow other companies to use the IP in games and other media. You know how you prevent IP use? Leave the situation exactly how it is now. That's why NCsoft shut the game down the way it did in the first place; not to sell it, but to preserve proof of the IP. The entire point of the holding company concept is to make the IP accessible by others.
So far so good. Onward and upward!

Ohioknight

• Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #4567 on: December 21, 2014, 05:37:57 AM »
Some of the people involved in setting up the deal have explicitly stated that the whole point to the holding company is to allow other companies to use the IP in games and other media. You know how you prevent IP use? Leave the situation exactly how it is now. That's why NCsoft shut the game down the way it did in the first place; not to sell it, but to preserve proof of the IP. The entire point of the holding company concept is to make the IP accessible by others.

Yeah, but it was also stated that the intent of the holding company was to be a company independent of NCSoft to which NCSoft would sell the IP outright.  I'm responding only to the news(rumor?) that NCSoft would have involvement in the holding company. 

That might imply that this is not as much an outright sale of the IP as was originally intended. 

That might also mean that the original intent to get the IP available to all interested players... to anybody in the community that want's to play with it (which I certainly took to imply an acceptance of private servers -- contrary to NCSoft's general policy towards such things)... might no longer be the intention of all the parties governing the holding company.  Since the IP is going to be active and "on the NCSoft radar", then if the above concern is valid, the deal might even be worse for future private servers than the current state...

Or not ... lots of mights and ifs in the above -- as I say nobody could say until the deal is a reality.

Stealth Dart

• Boss
  • Martial Artists kick butt with style
« Reply #4568 on: December 21, 2014, 09:23:52 AM »
 :-X
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 09:08:39 AM by Stealth Dart »
I am a dancer, a leaf in the wind...a leaf that can kick your Butt!

Remaugen

• Elite Boss
  • Android Clan of One
« Reply #4569 on: December 21, 2014, 05:46:00 PM »
In short, someone's going to be there to make sure the holding company doesn't throw the CoH name on The Hitler Follies of 2045, an all-singing, all-dancing, all-torture extravaganza.

I totally see where you were going with that, but the visual connotations gave me a gut busting laugh. So much so that I could almost support that as a Monty Python esque humor project!
We're almost there!  ;D

The RNG hates me.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #4570 on: December 21, 2014, 06:22:31 PM »
Why the negativity? If they wanted it prevented they simply do NOTHING.

If they designate someone from their company to oversee the distribution of the CoH Ip - does that sound like they don't want to sell? Remember here - money is changing hands.
I agree with this statement, if this means we get our home back then I am all for it.
I to do not understand the negativity, this time of year people should be happy :)
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Ohioknight

• Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #4571 on: December 21, 2014, 07:57:17 PM »
  I heard no mention of making the IP available for private servers at all.  If the deal goes through then private servers would damage the profitability of the COH franchise.  Plus I see no need for private servers ...

And you are correct... there was ABSOLUTELY no mention of making the IP available for private servers.

Anyone who saw this deal as improving the environment for future private servers was doing so entirely through inference because the matter was in no way discussed or referred to.  As you have pointed out, expressing your point of view, this deal might well make the environment for private servers more hostile than if no deal ever existed.

"Private servers would damage the profitability of the CoH franchise."  That statement is a matter of reasonable controversy.  There are many who feel private servers, to the contrary, are enhancements to a community of players and allow unfettered exploration of variations on a game and thus greater enthusiasm.  That, however, seems not to be the opinion of NCSoft -- famously.

To my original point, in your view, the holding company will function BOTH to ENABLE use of the IP and to PREVENT use of the IP.  No "Hitler follies" is the specific example given of preventing the IP use. 

This is not a negative to the deal... indeed, if you believe that getting the game back eliminates any need for private servers, then preventing players from setting them up would be an additional positive aspect of the deal.  I just think that folks should consider that this specifically might be among the benefits of getting the game back. 

I'm certainly looking forward to playing the game in any form available.  I hope the deal allows the maximum availability and flexibility to the community and I'm confident that the folks working to buy it feel the same. 

BraveStar

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4572 on: December 21, 2014, 08:45:54 PM »
I would be shoving it in so hard it would go through every orifice in the universe, simultaneously!

Infinite Improbability Credit Card?

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4573 on: December 21, 2014, 10:27:07 PM »
So do you guys want CoH back or not?  Its getting hard to tell.

Sure seems like a lot this and that stipulations flying around.

Seeing how everyone has so many better ideas of how the game should be returned perhaps they should take over the talks.  Get in contact with NCSoft, and then *demand* these things.  See how well that works.

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #4574 on: December 21, 2014, 10:48:12 PM »
I am waiting with baited breath!

The only stipulation I have is that it come back  ;D
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

MM3squints

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4575 on: December 21, 2014, 11:45:01 PM »

Seeing how everyone has so many better ideas of how the game should be returned perhaps they should take over the talks.  Get in contact with NCSoft, and then *demand* these things.  See how well that works.

To be honest, I would be content with a cookie with a Stateman logo right now. Actually probably should go make one.

Rejolt

• Elite Boss
  • Infinity Server 2005-2012
« Reply #4576 on: December 22, 2014, 12:19:24 AM »
To be honest, I would be content with a cookie with a Stateman logo right now. Actually probably should go make one.

Happens when you wait so long for something for so long... You know ... The feels.
Rejolt Industries LLC is now a thing. Woo!

duane

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4577 on: December 22, 2014, 12:55:11 PM »

The best post all weekend

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4578 on: December 22, 2014, 05:46:41 PM »
It's springtime for Lord Recluse, and the Rogue Isles are smiling...    ;D

Sugoi

• Boss
« Reply #4579 on: December 22, 2014, 06:41:05 PM »
So do we go back in time and kill the Developers or The Producers?