Author Topic: And the mask comes off.  (Read 1750117 times)

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
Re: And the mask comes off.
« Reply #4500 on: December 15, 2014, 10:10:28 PM »
I had alts scattered amongst all the servers, except Champion. 
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

chuckv3

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4501 on: December 16, 2014, 06:20:11 PM »
I was more of a sequential type (as opposed to alt-a-holic). I started on Champion. Thanks for a fine first few years B.O.S.S. supergroup! Then decided I needed to be on an east coast server, and started my own low-pressure group on Virtue (or was it Justice?), and then had a very few concept characters on Justice (or was it Virtue).

I'd totally settle for 1 server at this point.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4502 on: December 16, 2014, 06:48:31 PM »
I may be wrong but with just a disk image to run the game - it would be quite likely the game will come back with all servers in place.

Just firing it up and setting it up as it was in the past would be by far the easiest way to go. That could change as the new owners learn more about the game but I would think that would be the best way to do it.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4503 on: December 16, 2014, 07:15:02 PM »
I would guess the server stuff would be separate. The game is not the database and vice versa. Where a character 'lives' is stored in the database, not in the game code.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Teikiatsu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4504 on: December 16, 2014, 08:36:01 PM »
So would there need to be a serverhub set up for each shard or it doesn't work?  Would the game recognize a consecutive number of servers by alphabet or some other method, and the remaining are grey'd out?
Virtue Server - Main: Midnight Lightning Dark/Elec/Psi Defender

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfKUPgy_xH8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EitO6Wq_9A

Safehouse

• Elite Boss
  • Sometimes it's harder to let go than to hold on.
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #4505 on: December 16, 2014, 09:05:39 PM »
I may be wrong but with just a disk image to run the game - it would be quite likely the game will come back with all servers in place.

Just firing it up and setting it up as it was in the past would be by far the easiest way to go. That could change as the new owners learn more about the game but I would think that would be the best way to do it.

See, this is actually something that unnerves me a little bit: the part about dusting off the servers, turning the game on, and getting it running again. In the post mortem with Matt Miller, I recall Matt discussing the fact that there were a ton of moving parts and that it was kind of amazing that they were able to keep it running. I think he said something to the effect that it was able to keep going because there were people who understood how the moving parts worked together on the staff.

Then again, I could totally be misremembering, so don't take my word too seriously; I watched the post mortem a long time ago.

I would be worried about whoever picks up the game learning quickly enough how to work with the servers and keep it running, even if just in maintenance mode. I hope that it would be as simple as just firing it up though. And it's just as true that the new owners would learn a lot about the game, and my worries could prove unfounded.
Name: Safehouse     Origin: Magic
Powers: Energy Blast/Electricity Manipulation/Flame Mastery/Teleportation
Security Level: 50+
Last Seen: Wandering the empty streets of the evacuated Paragon City.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4506 on: December 16, 2014, 09:14:03 PM »
You have the map servers that run the actual game you see and then multiple database servers to tie to whatever database you need to reach.

I guess a lot of the technical details we will find out as they go. I am just thinking if you just have those images they may point to specific addresses that you will need to recreate for them to sync properly. I am certain throw a little money at one of the original techs - who must be known by someone, to help the starting setup and you would be good.

I know if I were running it the goal would be get it running, put it in Beta and work out how to get paid for it all in that order. You need people to test it all and we know a lot of folks who would love to do it for them.

Safehouse

• Elite Boss
  • Sometimes it's harder to let go than to hold on.
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #4507 on: December 16, 2014, 09:23:00 PM »
You have the map servers that run the actual game you see and then multiple database servers to tie to whatever database you need to reach.

I guess a lot of the technical details we will find out as they go. I am just thinking if you just have those images they may point to specific addresses that you will need to recreate for them to sync properly. I am certain throw a little money at one of the original techs - who must be known by someone, to help the starting setup and you would be good.

I know if I were running it the goal would be get it running, put it in Beta and work out how to get paid for it all in that order. You need people to test it all and we know a lot of folks who would love to do it for them.

Ah, I like the sound of that. That helps put some of my concerns to rest. I guess in my eagerness I keep thinking "okay, if this deal works out, then the servers will be turned on THE NEXT DAY," rather than thinking that's most likely not how this stuff goes, haha. I , for one, would be all about Beta-ing that...

...obviously XD
Name: Safehouse     Origin: Magic
Powers: Energy Blast/Electricity Manipulation/Flame Mastery/Teleportation
Security Level: 50+
Last Seen: Wandering the empty streets of the evacuated Paragon City.

pinballdave

• Elite Boss
  • I am the player formerly known as Psylenz
« Reply #4508 on: December 16, 2014, 09:25:02 PM »

ME ME ME ME ME ... sorry I guess that is obvious :p

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4509 on: December 16, 2014, 11:51:40 PM »

I think its safe to say everyone on Titan would line up to beta test :)
In fearful COH-less days

Prism Almidu

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4510 on: December 17, 2014, 02:03:39 AM »
You're not wrong about that :P In fact, might be a worthwhile thing to post links to beta registration in several of these threads, depending on how many people keep track of only one or two, once registration is a thing that can happen.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4511 on: December 17, 2014, 02:16:10 AM »

I'd sign up right away for it.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #4512 on: December 17, 2014, 02:18:53 AM »
I'd sign up right away for it.
pick me... pick me... pick me :D I would sign up for the beta in a instant. :) (even though after doing the beta for sto and co caused me not to do another beta. I would do one for City of. :) )
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4513 on: December 17, 2014, 04:14:58 AM »
Whenever the Beta/Relaunch is,  I shall be ill from work, I shall have a mini fridge stocked with goodies and if necessary I will even go back to using caffeine.  (Been cleansed of caffeine for a long time now, feels great)
In fearful COH-less days

Nyghtshade

• HERC Advisor
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4514 on: December 17, 2014, 04:20:40 AM »
I think its safe to say everyone on Titan would line up to beta test :)

I just retired, and would be totally there for Beta testing, just say the word!  See how confident I am that the return of our City will one day happen?  :D

Stealth Dart

• Boss
  • Martial Artists kick butt with style
« Reply #4515 on: December 17, 2014, 07:37:48 AM »
 :-X
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 09:16:44 AM by Stealth Dart »
I am a dancer, a leaf in the wind...a leaf that can kick your Butt!

Netzahualcoyotl

• Minion
  • <Infinity alum - global Netzahualcoyotl>
« Reply #4516 on: December 17, 2014, 07:45:58 AM »
I just retired, and would be totally there for Beta testing, just say the word!  See how confident I am that the return of our City will one day happen?  :D

Me too (retired and confident) - I have a few 24/7's available for that task....  ;)
... Atlanteans fled to far corners of the planet to preserve themselves and as much of their science and technology as time would allow...  Atlantean DNA remains among the inhabitants of Earth... and when the strains randomly cross-multiply... a re-combined Atlantean can occasionally result - stronger, faster, more evolved with abilities far beyond those of normal humanity... A being like... Atzlanticus!

Groundbreaker

• Minion
« Reply #4517 on: December 17, 2014, 09:04:40 AM »
Just in case this does somehow become the official Beta tester list me and my Girlfriend are in :)
"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing" - George Bernard Shaw

Surelle

« Reply #4518 on: December 17, 2014, 12:45:50 PM »
I hope everybody is as willing to pay a sub when the time comes for that, too.   ;)  Because of course, no money = no City.  ;)

Stealth Dart

• Boss
  • Martial Artists kick butt with style
« Reply #4519 on: December 17, 2014, 12:59:47 PM »
 :-X
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 09:17:00 AM by Stealth Dart »
I am a dancer, a leaf in the wind...a leaf that can kick your Butt!