Author Topic: And the mask comes off.  (Read 1748630 times)

Safehouse

• Elite Boss
  • Sometimes it's harder to let go than to hold on.
    • My Deviantart
Re: And the mask comes off.
« Reply #4480 on: December 12, 2014, 10:50:06 PM »
Didn't any self-repecting Altaholic have alts on all servers?  I know I did.

Yes! I had at least one on every server. But I also had my "big" servers. Those were Liberty and Virtue servers. Liberty I had full up with alts, and then there were my two mains, Del Mannsfield and Safehouse.
Name: Safehouse     Origin: Magic
Powers: Energy Blast/Electricity Manipulation/Flame Mastery/Teleportation
Security Level: 50+
Last Seen: Wandering the empty streets of the evacuated Paragon City.

Sugoi

• Boss
« Reply #4481 on: December 12, 2014, 11:01:25 PM »
I originally made alts of my favorite characters on all available servers as a form of ID insurance.  It came in handy later on when I would "Dial H for Hero" and pull out whatever the team I was running with really needed to improve the team's DPS or Survival. 

With very few exceptions, I was in no hurry to hit 50 after the 3rd one, so I played to experience new Powerset combos and to help other where I could.

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #4482 on: December 12, 2014, 11:21:08 PM »

I'm honestly not sure that I DID have alts on all the servers.  I don't recall all my characters now, but I'm sure that on one server (Liberty?) I didn't have anything except my Steven Colbert tribute "Alpha 7".
"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #4483 on: December 13, 2014, 01:15:06 AM »
Not only alts on every server, but an SG/VG as well!
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4484 on: December 13, 2014, 02:15:23 AM »
I did not have any alts on Freedom. Other than that, I had at least half a dozen characters on each other the other servers. Infinity and Champion had the most characters, followed by Justice and Guardian. Also, had a SG and/or VG on each server. Except Freedom, of course.
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

darkgob

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4485 on: December 13, 2014, 02:27:33 AM »
I'm honestly not sure that I DID have alts on all the servers.  I don't recall all my characters now, but I'm sure that on one server (Liberty?) I didn't have anything except my Steven Colbert tribute "Alpha 7".
My Colbert tribute was Captain Truthiness.  Inv/SS Tanker.  One of his costumes was even a Tek Jansen costume.

AlienOne

• HumanZero
  • Elite Boss
  • Resident Kheldian
« Reply #4486 on: December 13, 2014, 03:40:54 AM »
Yeah, I had an alt on every server. Most of my mains were on Freedom, since that's where most of the action was (barely saw anyone on most of the other servers), but yeah... Definitely had one (at least) on every server.
"What COH did was to show [developers of other] MMOs what they could be like if they gave up on controlling everything in the game, and just made it something great to play."  - Johnny Joy Bringer

Remaugen

• Elite Boss
  • Android Clan of One
« Reply #4487 on: December 13, 2014, 04:27:34 AM »
Ah, Hah!  For better or worse, I found it in some of my old CoH files:

Power Set Name: Power of Attorney
Primary/Secondary/Pool: Primary
AT: Mastermind
Note: This set deals mostly psi damage; because of this, overall set damage is fairly low. Pets have inherent psi resistance as well as confusion and fear resistance, and can super jump for some strange reason. . . . <Snip!>

That is pure awesome!
We're almost there!  ;D

The RNG hates me.

Sugoi

• Boss
« Reply #4488 on: December 13, 2014, 11:23:46 AM »
I thought it was fun, so I just had to cut and paste the entry for posterity.  And it came in so handy with the recurring discussion of lawyers lately. ;)

Sugoi

• Boss
« Reply #4489 on: December 13, 2014, 01:34:59 PM »
Not only alts on every server, but an SG/VG as well!

Ah Yes!  A RL Friend of mine loved tinkering with the SG Base Builder, and we grouped our alts together on each server to make a semi-private SG with Base for quick transport and storage of goodies.  Worked out quite well for the basics, and no devisive SG politicking needed.

Remaugen

• Elite Boss
  • Android Clan of One
« Reply #4490 on: December 13, 2014, 09:22:58 PM »
I had alts on multiple servers, not all of them though. My main focus was always on Champion with an occasional a night on Exalted. In the rare event that Champ was down I would jump on one of my other server alts to try and grab a level.

One of the things I would love to see in the future would be easier movement between servers or the ability to clone & sync a toon across multiple servers. While I am dreaming, let me add a wish for the ability to take my toon back and forth from CoX to CoT! 
We're almost there!  ;D

The RNG hates me.

Sugoi

• Boss
« Reply #4491 on: December 13, 2014, 11:12:17 PM »
Remaugen,

Here's my 50s by Server

1 - Champion, 2 - Exalted, 6 - Freedom, 3 - Infinity, 3 - Liberty, 1 - Pinnacle, 6 - Virtue

Most other servers had at least one character at level 30+, but my personal in-game activity usually depended on one or more of my Global Friends asking for some assistance, unless I had a pet project in mind.

During the period of time after the Sunset Announcement, I spent most of my time levelling Ramu my Elec/Elec Blaster on Infinity* (1st character I made for the game) and her alt on Virtue, where there was plenty of opportunity to team at the time. During the last month the game was active, I created and leveled her series boyfriend Ataru Moronboshi (who I built as a Heroic Stalker (given his 'normal' abilities in the series).  Result? A few days before game closure, I completed a very long term goal, when they both showed up in City Hall to get a Wedding License, and finally get married.

As far as cloning a character between different servers, it wasn't hard to do in CoX, just create the same AT/Powers template, body shape and load the costume.  I could clone a character in about a minute that way.  As far as syncing the clone to match levels and items, that would be cheating.  Besides that, the journey was always more important than the end game to me anyhow.

I doubt we'll be able to directly transfer characters between CoX and CoT given what they've already disclosed about their version of power enhancement.  But I look forward to the release of their costume creator sub-routine to see how closely I can rebuild the look of my signature characters in CoT, prior to actually playing them in the new game.

* Ramu and Ataru were based on Rumiko Takahashi's all-time classic comedy/SF/Fantasy manga and anime series, Urusei Yatsura "Those Obnoxious Aliens" also known as "Lum". 

Oh, and to those who think it was a 'Harem Anime', it was actually based on the opposite.  Ataru's dream was for a harem, but his dream was never taken seriously by any of the female members of the cast, and in reality (such as it was) only one girl in the universe ever seriously loved him.  (Well, actually two...) The rest of the female cast couldn't stand to be around him, or manipulated him for their own personal amusement.

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4492 on: December 14, 2014, 04:09:12 AM »
Very true, sorry for the injected humor  :D

What I mean is lawyers move very slowly and for good reason in transferring something like this. I mean let's think like logical people and we make a deal buying the IP and all the goodies and we move forward and the lawyer says, wait you want to install and run the game too? Well that requires these 25 forms to be filled out. I know where I work that is what happens.

I one time had to get some "non-approved" software installed for a new project and it took me 3 months to get legal and the software approval guys to say yes to just clicking on the - I agree to these terms box so I could install it.

So lawyers add the final level of insanity to a slow process.
In other words... Get out and push.

hurple

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4493 on: December 14, 2014, 05:11:58 AM »
Ah Yes!  A RL Friend of mine loved tinkering with the SG Base Builder, and we grouped our alts together on each server to make a semi-private SG with Base for quick transport and storage of goodies.  Worked out quite well for the basics, and no devisive SG politicking needed.

Did that as well.  Most of my toons were on Virtue and were all members of the "private" SG, The Super-Hero International Taskforce. 

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4494 on: December 14, 2014, 07:14:32 AM »
Same here.  Maintained private SG base for storage and transport.
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

Acanous

• Beef Ingot
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #4495 on: December 14, 2014, 10:51:58 PM »
NCSoft as a corporation will not drag this out just to drag it out as some kind of spiteful act. Doing things like this does cost them money in resources and man hours. Which the dept that is in charge of the negotiations has to, like all parts of a corporation, justify their dept budget.  And however much their salaries plus billable hours from legal need to have a reason more than "we wanted to mess with the American gamers" behind them or someones getting fired :-)
Not to say it doesn't happen like that. See FFXIV. "We just want to mess with the American Gamers" was totally a thing, and they DID get fired.

Hopefully that's just not the case HERE. For both parties.

Surelle

« Reply #4496 on: December 14, 2014, 11:32:19 PM »
Not to say it doesn't happen like that. See FFXIV. "We just want to mess with the American Gamers" was totally a thing, and they DID get fired.

Hopefully that's just not the case HERE. For both parties.

Really?  And here I thought the first FFXIV team was just in their own little world, stubbornly ignoring the unified voice of complaints that came from their beta testers for many months before it originally launched.   ;)

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
« Reply #4497 on: December 15, 2014, 10:35:43 AM »
I had alts on every server except Virtue. I tried Virtue, but stopped playing there after a week or so. I had SGs on Freedom, Exalted, Infinity, Guardian, and Champion. I used the SGs to store purples and pvp ios. I had a 50 on every server; except Virtue. My main server was Freedom though and where I spent 95% of my time.

Teikiatsu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4498 on: December 15, 2014, 06:36:43 PM »
I had toons on most of the servers but they were just tests and experiments.  Virtue was my server of choice.
Virtue Server - Main: Midnight Lightning Dark/Elec/Psi Defender

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfKUPgy_xH8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EitO6Wq_9A

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #4499 on: December 15, 2014, 06:57:42 PM »
most of my characters were on freedom, virtue, and justice. :)
One day the Phoenix will rise again.