Author Topic: And the mask comes off.  (Read 1749227 times)

Sermon

• Minion
Re: And the mask comes off.
« Reply #4460 on: December 11, 2014, 11:30:10 PM »
uuuummmmm.. I wasnt paying attention and I set my hair on fire...anybody got some neosporin? maybe a lot of bandaids??is there an empath in the house??

Just a trick arrow defender. If you hold still, I can shoot the fire out.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4461 on: December 11, 2014, 11:36:58 PM »
uuuummmmm.. I wasnt paying attention and I set my hair on fire...anybody got some neosporin? maybe a lot of bandaids??is there an empath in the house??

My Empath is facepalming then.  You made her feel a lot of pain in her head just for doing that and your asking her to help you when you weren't paying attention and set your hair on fire.  *Casts heal other but then grabs a bucket, fills it with especially cold water out of the cold pipes of the winter, dumps some ice and then dumps it on Ivan's head!*.

"Stop hurting yourself you masochist!"
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

pinballdave

• Elite Boss
  • I am the player formerly known as Psylenz
« Reply #4462 on: December 12, 2014, 12:03:34 AM »
My Empath is facepalming then.  You made her feel a lot of pain in her head just for doing that and your asking her to help you when you weren't paying attention and set your hair on fire.  *Casts heal other but then grabs a bucket, fills it with especially cold water out of the cold pipes of the winter, dumps some ice and then dumps it on Ivan's head!*.

"Stop hurting yourself you masochist!"

Next alt: Empath/water blast for teammates that set their hair on fire

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4463 on: December 12, 2014, 12:12:03 AM »
Next alt: Empath/water blast for teammates that set their hair on fire

Actually the empath I was pretending to be was /dark and was showering the guy with ice water out of a sense of general rudeness for causing her a bunch of pain :P.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Battlechimp

• Boss
« Reply #4464 on: December 12, 2014, 12:15:32 AM »
[qmchuote author=Sermon link=topic=10284.msg169742#msg169742 date=1418340482]
So do we actually know that some people involved are under NDA or is that just speculation as to why some people involved haven't been posting?
[/quote]

The answer is... we don't know :-)   if they are under a NDA then they couldn't tell us that.  Or even if not, its good business sense not to splash the negotiations across the internet.

Corporate deals like this just do NOT have their details discussed openly with anyone who isn't involved directly with the negotiations.  We've seen this pop up in these threads all the time "why don't we get more info". "Why is it taking so long" a lot of people just have not had any experience with corporate dealings and their expectations do not line up with reality.  Now I'm not saying that as "ha you're stupid for not knowing this" or pointing fingers at anyone.  But the ebb and flow and pacing of these kinds of deals can sometimes be hard to wrap your head around until you've experienced them first hand. 

Even if they gave us an update like "we've agreed on accounts, the image of the game and the IP, now working on the royalties and marketing". In two weeks time all of what they said could be completely different. And having all that play out in the public eye be make negotiations even more of an hardship then they already are.  And then the speed of things, its not like buying a car or even a house.  Proposals and agreements are done through talks, maybe a few days there with the back and forth.  Papers are drawn by legal with what was agreed on.  Coupe weeks to months there depending on the lawyers.  Papers sent to other party, their legal goes over it, again a few weeks there.  Changes are made, counter proposal drawn up, again could be a few weeks there.  Now back and forth like that, with it changing and growing more involved the more things are added.  This is not just sit on the phone for a few hours and hash things out. 

Toss in the research time on what can be sold, the need to prove technical competency, etc.  Its going to take a long time.   And ye, while it might not feel good, the addage  no news is good news.  Really is good news. Because they can't or shouldn't talk about the on going negotiations we can only expect one of two real updates, We got it, or Talks are off.

NCSoft as a corporation will not drag this out just to drag it out as some kind of spiteful act. Doing things like this does cost them money in resources and man hours. Which the dept that is in charge of the negotiations has to, like all parts of a corporation, justify their dept budget.  And however much their salaries plus billable hours from legal need to have a reason more than "we wanted to mess with the American gamers" behind them or someones getting fired :-)

And as emotionally invested as we all are in this game, we have zero actual monetary investment as a player base.... well potential playerbase ,  we'll know what happened when we get one of those two answers, we just have to wait

Some men were born to greatness, others had it thrust upon them.  Me?  I punted. - Col Cranston Snord

Blow things up! Blow things up! Blow things up! Blo... wait, not that!! - Jammers everywhen

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4465 on: December 12, 2014, 01:00:38 AM »
Just a trick arrow defender. If you hold still, I can shoot the fire out.

Healz Arrows ftw!!!
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

Rejolt

• Elite Boss
  • Infinity Server 2005-2012
« Reply #4466 on: December 12, 2014, 11:40:37 AM »
Healz Arrows ftw!!!

While this is a joke, I'd have added a siphon life effect to Poison Gas Arrow (+regen/minor heal to teammates in the AoE/-regen to targets)
Rejolt Industries LLC is now a thing. Woo!

Minotaur

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4467 on: December 12, 2014, 02:28:56 PM »
Healz Arrows ftw!!!

I remember a TA def in the early days who knew it was difficult to get teams as a defender if you didn't heal, so called his toon T3h ub3r h34lz0r or similar.

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4468 on: December 12, 2014, 02:31:06 PM »
Yes, no news means the folks under NDA are still working and working is going forward. If they say - the deal is over NCSoft won't sell - that is bad news.

I would like you to explain to me how people under an NDA can give us news? It's only a handful of people and if they were to blow it now to mollify a few folks who are impatient and made NCSoft withdraw - how bad would that be?

I fail to understand how having people talking to NCSoft, them agreeing to sell and then working on what is included in the deal - is somehow bad news? We know for a fact that is what's is going on. We aren't making that part up NCSoft let them release that part out to the public.

We are standing in the dark with our torches burning and we can see in the distance a small pinpoint of light, don't drop the torch yet.
Corporate deals like this just do NOT have their details discussed openly with anyone who isn't involved directly with the negotiations.  We've seen this pop up in these threads all the time "why don't we get more info". "Why is it taking so long" a lot of people just have not had any experience with corporate dealings and their expectations do not line up with reality.  Now I'm not saying that as "ha you're stupid for not knowing this" or pointing fingers at anyone.  But the ebb and flow and pacing of these kinds of deals can sometimes be hard to wrap your head around until you've experienced them first hand. 

Even if they gave us an update like "we've agreed on accounts, the image of the game and the IP, now working on the royalties and marketing". In two weeks time all of what they said could be completely different. And having all that play out in the public eye be make negotiations even more of an hardship then they already are.  And then the speed of things, its not like buying a car or even a house.  Proposals and agreements are done through talks, maybe a few days there with the back and forth.  Papers are drawn by legal with what was agreed on.  Coupe weeks to months there depending on the lawyers.  Papers sent to other party, their legal goes over it, again a few weeks there.  Changes are made, counter proposal drawn up, again could be a few weeks there.  Now back and forth like that, with it changing and growing more involved the more things are added.  This is not just sit on the phone for a few hours and hash things out. 

Toss in the research time on what can be sold, the need to prove technical competency, etc.  Its going to take a long time.   And ye, while it might not feel good, the addage  no news is good news.  Really is good news. Because they can't or shouldn't talk about the on going negotiations we can only expect one of two real updates, We got it, or Talks are off.

NCSoft as a corporation will not drag this out just to drag it out as some kind of spiteful act. Doing things like this does cost them money in resources and man hours. Which the dept that is in charge of the negotiations has to, like all parts of a corporation, justify their dept budget.  And however much their salaries plus billable hours from legal need to have a reason more than "we wanted to mess with the American gamers" behind them or someones getting fired :-)

And as emotionally invested as we all are in this game, we have zero actual monetary investment as a player base.... well potential playerbase ,  we'll know what happened when we get one of those two answers, we just have to wait
Maybe just copy and paste these two posts in lieu of "No news is good news".   :)   They sound more logical and less like a t-shirt.

Seems like the longer it goes on, the better.   I find it very hard to believe the situation gets progressively worse over the course of many months.   Progress can only be going forward over a period of time that long.   Maybe if we are talking a couple of weeks of waiting I could justify the fear of a fatal problem arising, but months and months?

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4469 on: December 12, 2014, 02:46:49 PM »
Once lawyers get involved the wheels come off. (attempt at humor for those parsing every word)

« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 04:23:52 PM by Ironwolf »

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4470 on: December 12, 2014, 02:52:44 PM »
Once lawyers get involved the wheels come off.
Careful the way you word things.   Your word is "gospel" to most.   Just watch this quote be taken as negative news.   ;D

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4471 on: December 12, 2014, 04:22:09 PM »
Careful the way you word things.   Your word is "gospel" to most.   Just watch this quote be taken as negative news.   ;D

Very true, sorry for the injected humor  :D

What I mean is lawyers move very slowly and for good reason in transferring something like this. I mean let's think like logical people and we make a deal buying the IP and all the goodies and we move forward and the lawyer says, wait you want to install and run the game too? Well that requires these 25 forms to be filled out. I know where I work that is what happens.

I one time had to get some "non-approved" software installed for a new project and it took me 3 months to get legal and the software approval guys to say yes to just clicking on the - I agree to these terms box so I could install it.

So lawyers add the final level of insanity to a slow process.

sincitymachine

• Underling
« Reply #4472 on: December 12, 2014, 05:26:53 PM »
Once lawyers get involved the wheels come off. (attempt at humor for those parsing every word)

As a lawyer, I resemble this remark.

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #4473 on: December 12, 2014, 05:42:11 PM »

SO IT'S ALL -YOUR- FAULT!

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4474 on: December 12, 2014, 06:22:57 PM »

Hmmm.

"This is all your fault."

"Cognitive dissonance is the unsettling feeling caused by holding two conflicting beliefs simultaneously."

"Do you feel like a hero yet?"

"You are still a good person."

I would touch on some other loading screens from that...one...very mean deconstructive game but I don't want to ruin things here :).
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 06:29:08 PM by LaughingAlex »

Sugoi

• Boss
« Reply #4475 on: December 12, 2014, 09:15:32 PM »
Hmm, I'll have to see if I can find the old CoH Forum's rules for the proposed Lawyer Powerset.  Seems quite fitting now.

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #4476 on: December 12, 2014, 10:07:46 PM »

I one time had to get some "non-approved" software installed for a new project and it took me 3 months to get legal and the software approval guys to say yes to just clicking on the - I agree to these terms box so I could install it.

Remember, every one of those damn "I agree to these terms" boxes is a fully binding 50 page contract which you, as an employee of your company, would be committing your company, its directors and its investors to abide by probably for eternity.

We're now using those damn contracts to buy a pack of gum.  If you were required to delay any transaction using such a contract (or else it wouldn't be binding) by the time required for an average person to read and fully understand the terms of the contract, our commercial interests would come up with an alternative and more sensible system REAL DAMN FAST.

Damn.
"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"

Sugoi

• Boss
« Reply #4477 on: December 12, 2014, 10:28:04 PM »
Ah, Hah!  For better or worse, I found it in some of my old CoH files:

Power Set Name: Power of Attorney
Primary/Secondary/Pool: Primary
AT: Mastermind
Note: This set deals mostly psi damage; because of this, overall set damage is fairly low. Pets have inherent psi resistance as well as confusion and fear resistance, and can super jump for some strange reason.

1. Psionic Dart: See Dominator/Psionic Dart

2. Call Laywers: Summons 1-3 lawyers (depending on your level) to do your bidding. These lawyers can perform attacks with a handgun or briefcase. They can also use their "logic skills" to occasionally disorient a target. Recharge: Moderate

3. Mental Blast: See Defender/Mental Blast

4. Train Laywers: Provides knowledge to a targeted lawyer and provides them with more power. Recharge: Very Fast
4a. 1st tier pets gain a psionic dart power
4b. 2nd tier pets gain the ability to scramble a target's thoughts
4c. 3rd tier pets gain a single target confuse ability

5. Psionic Scream: See Defender/Psionic Scream

6. Call Advisor: Summons 1-2 advisers (depending on your level) to do your bidding. With their knowledge of the law, they can attack with psionic darts and mental blasts, as well as subdue a target with a powerful immobilize. Recharge: Long

7. Sue: Allows you to sue a target with one of your lawyers. That target is defeated (not always, sometimes it will just deal high stunning damage without pet sacrifice) and the player will recieve triple infamy, but no experience. His teamates gain the regular bonuses however. Using this attack sacrifices a pet at random if the attack performs the instant death. Can not instantly kill AVs/GMs/Elite bosses. You only gain triple infamy when the attack performs it's instant death part, not if the high stunning damage kills. Recharge: Long
7a. For PvP purposes, Sue will only deal the high stunning damage to a player.

8. Call Powerful Lawyer: Summons 1 Powerful Lawyer to do your bidding. This guy's been at his job for quite a while, and he knows how to get the job done right. He can perform psionic control based attacks, as well as can attack with mental blasts. Recharge: Very Long

9. Shape Lawyer: Allows you to "shape" a lawyer and teach them some more powerful techniques. Recharge: Fast
9a. Tier 1 pets gain a psionic scream power
9b. Tier 2 pets gain a leadership power similar to what longbow officers use, but it only increases def/dmg/acc of you and your pets.
9c. Tier 3 pets gain a mass hold and a very powerful psionic blast.

Drauger9

• Elite Boss
    • My gaming blog
« Reply #4478 on: December 12, 2014, 10:33:20 PM »
We can all take heart in this.... not a question of "If" but more like "when".... and wasn't "Patience" on the Virtue server?

Sure was but they had alts on other servers too. Like Champion, Liberty and Freedom too. ;)

Sugoi

• Boss
« Reply #4479 on: December 12, 2014, 10:36:29 PM »
Didn't any self-repecting Altaholic have alts on all servers?  I know I did.