Author Topic: And the mask comes off.  (Read 1748714 times)

Nyghtshade

• HERC Advisor
  • Elite Boss
Re: And the mask comes off.
« Reply #4420 on: December 09, 2014, 04:58:02 AM »
This, and farther.
I've been dedicated to City of Heroes for over a decade, almost half my life. Why stop now, or ever?

This is what I love about the CoH community - helping one another stay positive, and holding on to hope.  I'd like to add my thanks to everyone else's for the continued work being done by the Hail Mary team!

nylanfs

• Underling
« Reply #4421 on: December 09, 2014, 09:56:18 PM »
Well here's something that could be delaying news.

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/tech/2014/12/134_169593.html

Blackout

• "That guy"
  • Boss
« Reply #4422 on: December 09, 2014, 10:55:36 PM »
Not sure if this will delay much. After all they only have 15% and have stated they do not plan to invest any more in buying more of NCsoft's shares, plus I don't really think Nexon would have any reason to want to delay or stop the restoration of City of Heroes. I may just be being overly optimistic, but I don't think that this will harm the restoration :)

nylanfs

• Underling
« Reply #4423 on: December 09, 2014, 11:18:11 PM »
Right, but if the negotiating team wasn't aware of the impending stock purchase until it was almost finalized (which I would assume not). Then they might have to double check the legal status before proceeding farther.

Blackout

• "That guy"
  • Boss
« Reply #4424 on: December 09, 2014, 11:41:29 PM »
Probably, but I think most of us were expecting to wait a while. As long as we get City of Heroes back, I think most of us are fine with a couple of minor delays.

MaxEternal

• Minion
« Reply #4425 on: December 10, 2014, 12:07:00 AM »

Maybe I am missing something but a 0.4% purchase doesn't seem too significant to me.

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #4426 on: December 10, 2014, 12:21:02 AM »
It may have been an additional factor in things lagging (Along with the holidays and the Carbine layoffs) but It shouldn't make any difference going forward.
"Let's get dangerous..."
Lead Developer and Master of Mischief - Revival Project.
Revival website: APR.Pc-Logix.com

artbunker

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4427 on: December 10, 2014, 12:41:18 AM »

Well this might be a good thing, they are letting  another group rebuild dungeon fighter

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #4428 on: December 10, 2014, 12:48:01 AM »
Maybe I am missing something but a 0.4% purchase doesn't seem too significant to me.
It's certainly not enough to have any direct effect on the negotiations. Now if the announcement had been that Nexon had purchased 73% and was planning to convert NCsoft to a bedding and bathroom accessory company, then that might've had a significant effect, but purchasing a few more shares doesn't affect ownership or much else to do with NCsoft's games and IP.
So far so good. Onward and upward!

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4429 on: December 10, 2014, 01:12:31 AM »
It's not just .4%. It's a total of 15.1%. Their initial 14.7% purchase plus their affiliate's .4% brings them over the 15% FTC guidelines. More paperwork, etc., etc., etc. Potential delays, etc., etc., etc.

So, regarding the above post by Nyx, that extra .4% is actually a really huge deal in the business world due to the threshold it crosses.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #4430 on: December 10, 2014, 07:25:45 AM »
Slap me if I'm being silly, but IIRC, wasn't the last deal with Nexon the root cause behind our beloved CoH's cruel murder?

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4431 on: December 10, 2014, 07:32:27 AM »
Slap me if I'm being silly, but IIRC, wasn't the last deal with Nexon the root cause behind our beloved CoH's cruel murder?

I do believe you are correct, that and that Paragon studios was "bleeding money" as I recall.
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #4432 on: December 10, 2014, 02:21:36 PM »

Only in the minds of forum conspiracy theorists.

nylanfs

• Underling

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4434 on: December 10, 2014, 05:47:20 PM »
Not exactly, it may have been the motivating force.

NCSoft wanted to merge with Nexon. At the time only one studio was losing money - Paragon Studio. If you want to merge and show that everything you have is in great shape - you cut all the losing titles. Paragon Studios as I said earlier was losing money - City of Heroes could not run and support 2 other titles. City of Heroes was also tied completely to Paragon Studios. So to pull everything back to Korean oversight and to cut losing titles, they killed PS and also therefore CoH.

Nexon is not the reason they killed the game but it was the motivating factor. 
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 08:52:39 PM by Ironwolf »

Nyghtshade

• HERC Advisor
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4435 on: December 10, 2014, 06:59:37 PM »

NCSoft wanted to merge with Nexon. At the time only one studio was losing money - Paragon Studio. If you want to merge and show that everything you have is in great shape - you cut all the losing titles. Paragon Studios as I said earlier was losing money - City of Heroes could not run and support 2 other titles. City of Heroes was also tied completely to Paragon Studios. So to pull everything back to Korean oversight and to cut losing titles, they killed PS and also therefore CoH.

Nexon is not the reason the killed the game but it was the motivating factor.

So, the Nexon / NCSoft merger has been in the works for more than 2 years?

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4436 on: December 10, 2014, 07:19:53 PM »
Yes, they started negotiations even before the sunset. I remember articles from the golden age (just before we knew we were getting kicked out).
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Surelle

« Reply #4437 on: December 10, 2014, 07:36:20 PM »
Yes, they started negotiations even before the sunset. I remember articles from the golden age (just before we knew we were getting kicked out).

Yeah, the first blurbs about it that I saw were circa June, 2012 or so; the summer before the shutdown.  Although I figured that, due to Nexon's almost-15% shares of NCSoft, that it was really Nexon's control of NCSoft and their urgings behind the shuttering.  That certainly may not be right, though, because goodness knows that NCSoft has shuttered many other of their MMORPGs without warning too!

Rejolt

• Elite Boss
  • Infinity Server 2005-2012
« Reply #4438 on: December 10, 2014, 08:50:31 PM »

Nexon is not the reason the killed the game but it was the motivating factor.

So they expected Paragon to develop 2 titles out of the profit from Coh? Wow. That seems ... Implosive.
Rejolt Industries LLC is now a thing. Woo!

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4439 on: December 10, 2014, 08:55:20 PM »
So they expected Paragon to develop 2 titles out of the profit from Coh? Wow. That seems ... Implosive.

Not sure who or what was behind that. It was all part of the NDA signed when they left and we never really got to hear what they were making. I heard rumors of a minecraft clone but only rumors. I wouldn't say that was the deal.

At the peak before shutdown Paragon had 80+ employees most of which were programmers of some sort.