Author Topic: And the mask comes off.  (Read 1750014 times)

Dareon Kale

• Minion
Re: And the mask comes off.
« Reply #4180 on: November 18, 2014, 07:25:24 AM »
One should not live on ramen alone for too extended a period of time. The consequences to your health over time can be...unfortunate.

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4181 on: November 18, 2014, 12:28:56 PM »
Later on, I found a much better cash-for-INF scheme - I'd purchase Super Packs and sell off unwanted ATOs or just use the Reward Merits from them to buy LotG Recharge recipes and such.  A far better method, at least from my perspective.

Yeah, I did this too. Between ATOs and enhancement converters, you could make a crapton of inf through the market. And with super packs you knew the money was actually going to the studio, rather than some sketchy site that was probably just trying to steal your financial info.

Also, remote auction house access ftw!

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4182 on: November 18, 2014, 11:06:38 PM »
Yeah, I did this too. Between ATOs and enhancement converters, you could make a crapton of inf through the market. And with super packs you knew the money was actually going to the studio, rather than some sketchy site that was probably just trying to steal your financial info.

Another good way for a time was to get the +3  def IO from the PVP IO set, they used to go for 2 billion on the market before conversions became possible.
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4183 on: November 18, 2014, 11:10:11 PM »

Yeah, the whole reason superpacks were added was to combat gold farmers, just the same reason lockboxes were added to mmorpgs.  Both were there to combat gold farmers.  Only game I saw so far that doesn't use boxes to combat gold farming is DCUO, as anything earned from said boxes were purely cosmetic.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

darkgob

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4184 on: November 18, 2014, 11:20:58 PM »
Yeah, the whole reason superpacks were added was to combat gold farmers, just the same reason lockboxes were added to mmorpgs.  Both were there to combat gold farmers.

If that's the actual reason then they are an abject failure in Star Trek Online, as that game still sees plenty of gold sellers (to the point where systems are in place to autoban people who trip certain keywords in chat, which has happened to several legitimate players by accident).

Minotaur

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4185 on: November 19, 2014, 12:18:19 AM »
Another good way for a time was to get the +3  def IO from the PVP IO set, they used to go for 2 billion on the market before conversions became possible.

The level 10 ones you could get with merits went for a lot more than 2BN off market, I sold 3 for 4BN each, and bought back one level 50 for 2BN.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4186 on: November 19, 2014, 12:27:44 AM »
The level 10 ones you could get with merits went for a lot more than 2BN off market, I sold 3 for 4BN each, and bought back one level 50 for 2BN.

I heard about that, regrettably mine were only L50's :)
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #4187 on: November 19, 2014, 04:14:23 PM »
Catgirl Mastermind requires the addition of Catnip Coolers to the game. Actually most of the products and/or services in The Cape Radio ads should be implemented in game if/when we get 1.5 and all that. Oh, and the Rikti-raser. i wish i knew where to find those ads, they were hilarious.

http://www.thecaperadio.com/multimedia/cohaudio.php

That appears to have what you're looking for.
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #4188 on: November 19, 2014, 11:44:27 PM »
http://www.thecaperadio.com/multimedia/cohaudio.php

That appears to have what you're looking for.
Oh yes, yes indeed. You have my thanks.
So far so good. Onward and upward!

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4189 on: November 19, 2014, 11:54:56 PM »
If that's the actual reason then they are an abject failure in Star Trek Online, as that game still sees plenty of gold sellers (to the point where systems are in place to autoban people who trip certain keywords in chat, which has happened to several legitimate players by accident).

The problem with cryptics games, is that the lockboxes don't actually combat but more encourage it, due to the fact that many people just buy keys and then sell them on auction.

This includes champions online, which actually further perverted the original purpose of the lockbox as they now release overpowered items, then nerf those items and release some other OP item, but then I said that countless times since that day a month ago.

But I can say generally to open a lockbox either takes 100-150 globals or  a dollar, so a blackmarket forming wouldn't be a surprise to me.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Winter Fable

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4190 on: November 20, 2014, 01:23:03 AM »
Do you have access to some numbers for that?   Just curious where that info comes from.

I might be wrong, but I was under the impression that the cost to run a maintenance-mode CoH legacy game would be much lower than it was when the game was running.   They wouldn't be paying anyone to design new content for one thing.    $15 a month for the previous more costly CoH made sense...I don't see why I should assume the same rate is needed for a cheaper to run CoH.   And I'm not going to ignore the fact that the game made more money after lowering the sub price to zero either.   I don't think "$15" is a dividing line between profitability and non-profitability.   There may need to be a carrot of some sort to get some people to play a game without updates.

$15 a month would push me from 2 accounts down to one I must say.   It might surprise some to learn that because they can afford it that doesn't mean the same is true of everyone.    It might not be "because you don't want the game back that badly".   :P

Coincidentally, I'm in the process of changing banks because my current bank insists on hitting me with a $12 monthly service fee every time my checking account falls below a certain limit.  (While they ignore all the money I keep in savings at that bank) 

Is $12 a lot of money?   Nope...but that sort of thing adds up across the board and I pay attention to things like that....which is why I'm able to live within a budget and not fall into financial difficulty.

This^^^We all want the game back but family and bills come first.

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4191 on: November 20, 2014, 02:28:04 AM »
Well, personally, I'm more than willing and able to pay $50 a month for CoH i23, with no updates - especially if that's the "all possible perks included package."  ;)

And heck, while I'm wildly dreaming, throw in a billion INF, 10,000 Reward Merits, and 1 complete set of each of the Purple IOs (non-PVP) every month, and I'll very happily pay $100 per month for CoH i23 with no updates.

In case you hadn't guessed, I'm totally down with the "bribing your way to victory" method of gaming.  ;D
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 02:35:31 AM by JanessaVR »

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #4192 on: November 20, 2014, 06:13:23 AM »
lol
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

Netzahualcoyotl

• Minion
  • <Infinity alum - global Netzahualcoyotl>
« Reply #4193 on: November 20, 2014, 07:24:59 AM »
Do you have access to some numbers for that?   Just curious where that info comes from.

I might be wrong, but I was under the impression that the cost to run a maintenance-mode CoH legacy game would be much lower than it was when the game was running.   They wouldn't be paying anyone to design new content for one thing.    $15 a month for the previous more costly CoH made sense...I don't see why I should assume the same rate is needed for a cheaper to run CoH.   And I'm not going to ignore the fact that the game made more money after lowering the sub price to zero either.   I don't think "$15" is a dividing line between profitability and non-profitability.   There may need to be a carrot of some sort to get some people to play a game without updates.

$15 a month would push me from 2 accounts down to one I must say.   It might surprise some to learn that because they can afford it that doesn't mean the same is true of everyone.    It might not be "because you don't want the game back that badly".   :P

Coincidentally, I'm in the process of changing banks because my current bank insists on hitting me with a $12 monthly service fee every time my checking account falls below a certain limit.  (While they ignore all the money I keep in savings at that bank) 

Is $12 a lot of money?   Nope...but that sort of thing adds up across the board and I pay attention to things like that....which is why I'm able to live within a budget and not fall into financial difficulty.

Agreed...

Lol, this is what I was trying to point out in my earlier, less clearer posts (and took a little flak on... hope the message can get through this time)   ;)
... Atlanteans fled to far corners of the planet to preserve themselves and as much of their science and technology as time would allow...  Atlantean DNA remains among the inhabitants of Earth... and when the strains randomly cross-multiply... a re-combined Atlantean can occasionally result - stronger, faster, more evolved with abilities far beyond those of normal humanity... A being like... Atzlanticus!

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
« Reply #4194 on: November 20, 2014, 07:42:04 AM »
You may think $15 is a lot for a maintenance mode of COH... but let's not forget that when COH comes back...it will not have the same amount of subscribers. If 10,000 people come back I will be surprised. Let's also not forget COH Legacy also needs to pay for... getting the IP which none of us are aware of the cost. It would not surprise me if the IP etc... is a $2 million endeavor.

10,000 subs at $15 a month...that will take at least a year to pay. That's not including paying the server costs...paragon market costs... etc etc...

If people want COH back... guess what... it's gonna cost money from everyone. The sooner the startup costs are recouped...the sooner they can then reduce the monthly costs.

Battlechimp

• Boss
« Reply #4195 on: November 20, 2014, 01:45:07 PM »
You may think $15 is a lot for a maintenance mode of COH... but let's not forget that when COH comes back...it will not have the same amount of subscribers. If 10,000 people come back I will be surprised. Let's also not forget COH Legacy also needs to pay for... getting the IP which none of us are aware of the cost. It would not surprise me if the IP etc... is a $2 million endeavor.

10,000 subs at $15 a month...that will take at least a year to pay. That's not including paying the server costs...paragon market costs... etc etc...

If people want COH back... guess what... it's gonna cost money from everyone. The sooner the startup costs are recouped...the sooner they can then reduce the monthly costs.

I think what a lot of people are forgetting is... getting CoH Legacy up and running is NOT the end game.  Getting the IP and getting COH1.5/2 going and licensing out the IP to other products is. 

You are correct that chances are there won't be that many etuning players or even newer ones who want to pay a premimum subscription price for a 10 year old MMO that will never be updated.  So getting the old game up and running is not where they will make bake their investment.  If they can cover operating costs and possibly make a little bit of income , great.  But it'd be beyond foolish to think that they plan on staking it all just to get Legacy going.  And don't forget, even getting the image of the game wasn't the initial plan, NCSoft threw that out there when they made the original pitch for the IP not the game
Some men were born to greatness, others had it thrust upon them.  Me?  I punted. - Col Cranston Snord

Blow things up! Blow things up! Blow things up! Blo... wait, not that!! - Jammers everywhen

Sugoi

• Boss
« Reply #4196 on: November 20, 2014, 02:33:49 PM »
You are correct that chances are there won't be that many etuning players or even newer ones who want to pay a premimum subscription price for a 10 year old MMO that will never be updated.  So getting the old game up and running is not where they will make bake their investment.  If they can cover operating costs and possibly make a little bit of income , great.  But it'd be beyond foolish to think that they plan on staking it all just to get Legacy going.  And don't forget, even getting the image of the game wasn't the initial plan, NCSoft threw that out there when they made the original pitch for the IP not the game

Besides the benefits of new games legally tied into the pre-existing material, I'd still pay $15/Month for the privilege of playing the "10 year old MMO" that had 8-1/2 years of fairly consistent upgrades and updates, resulting in many more options and adventures to play (or re-play) than either of the currently active SuperHeroic MMOs offer combined.

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #4197 on: November 20, 2014, 03:34:05 PM »
Frankly whatever they decide the reasonable price is, I'll pay it!
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4198 on: November 20, 2014, 04:49:57 PM »

I could be wrong but I don't think the IP alone to license will be that much. Now the entire deal all together might be. I also would not be surprised if the purchase price was tied in the game restart, for example NCSoft says you start the game and pay us 50% of the profits until you hit x amount of dollars or you pay us x amount less dollars up front.

Making the cheaper way to start the more expensive option long term. So maybe give us $500k now and you get it or pay us back $1 million over a period of the game being open. I am not speaking of any secrets I know - just some of the rumored figures I had from earlier efforts (not the Paragon Studio buyout). Note, I also don't know what they wanted from NCSoft on those earlier efforts either and so the price may vary with the deal they are trying to reach now.

Surelle

« Reply #4199 on: November 20, 2014, 05:59:54 PM »
As long as the whole thing doesn't go sour, I'm up for whatever version/price of CoX they throw at us.  APR will be cool if it ever comes to fruition, but I really just want my CoX City back.  It has enough content to keep me going for years.  I played from the day after launch to shutdown night, and I felt I still had a whole lot more I wanted to do.  I'm happy we may get the chance, and even if it all falls to pieces, I really appreciate Team Hail Mary's efforts to get CoX back to us again.   8)