Author Topic: And the mask comes off.  (Read 1750441 times)

Remaugen

• Elite Boss
  • Android Clan of One
Re: And the mask comes off.
« Reply #4080 on: November 13, 2014, 03:19:05 AM »
I would like to see $15 for first subscription then say: $10 for additional accounts attached to your main account. 

All proceeds go to server maintenance, electrical/bandwidth fees, staff and of course CoH 1.5

That is along the same lines as I was thinking for premium/VIP, but I think we will still need an F2P hook to bring in new players.

We're almost there!  ;D

The RNG hates me.

Netzahualcoyotl

• Minion
  • <Infinity alum - global Netzahualcoyotl>
« Reply #4081 on: November 13, 2014, 04:00:21 AM »
Are YOU going to foot the bill then?

Sure (as I think most of you would)! I've already made mention to something going towards static I23 in a previous post   http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,10284.msg167592.html#msg167592   and won't rehash it here...

... but trying to afford to pay present-day (2014) subscription prices for a present-day MMO is one thing, for a 10-y.o. game with no continuation available is quite another and a bit unrealistic for some (I'd personally be willing to invest up to $100 as a one-time purchase fee, but not as a subscription)...
... Atlanteans fled to far corners of the planet to preserve themselves and as much of their science and technology as time would allow...  Atlantean DNA remains among the inhabitants of Earth... and when the strains randomly cross-multiply... a re-combined Atlantean can occasionally result - stronger, faster, more evolved with abilities far beyond those of normal humanity... A being like... Atzlanticus!

Dareon Kale

• Minion
« Reply #4082 on: November 13, 2014, 04:49:58 AM »
My thought process is that we would prefer to have more players in the game as opposed to less. It may be a futile effort trying to get new or previously casual players to come back, but I don't think you have much chance at all with the same subscription fees as a currently supported and developed game. yes, the reality is that for most people finding $15/month is easy if they put any effort into it. On the other hand, $5, $7, or $10 looks and feels much cheaper, and I think would go a long way towards bringing back more people. I have no idea how the numbers play out, but you might very well be able to achieve more revenue through volume than price that way. I want very much for the world to feel alive, and not like I am playing in a sandbox by myself.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4083 on: November 13, 2014, 05:47:45 AM »
That is along the same lines as I was thinking for premium/VIP, but I think we will still need an F2P hook to bring in new players.

I agree that an F2P hook would be a good idea, however the restrictions on F2P from the old days should be looked at and modified a bit.

The restrictions are here  http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Free_Player#Free

Main thing about Premium/Free accounts was that they lost the ability to use IO's which made a few players irate.  Also they lose incarnate powers, but that is fine. If you want the full power you have to pay.

However the invention restriction could be modified for free/premium accounts in that they CAN create and install IO's but only at a max of level 25. So yes they can get to L50, but they would essentially be at half the strength of a VIP L50 as their slots can only take up to L25 IO's.

Of course for nine issues characters were pretty good with just SO's but the IO's do compensate for Jack's legacy of Enhancement Diversification.
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
« Reply #4084 on: November 13, 2014, 06:30:52 AM »
If you're not willing to pay the usual 15$ fee or the 12 month subscription with discount then you must really not want this game back that badly. 10 year old or not "there is no other game like cox" " I don't have fun in any other game" etc speaks to me that it's worth doing whatever possible to get the game back and to keep it running.

This game isn't going to run at 5$ or 10$ a month unless many people have multiple accounts, buy lots of cash shop items or we end up with huge subscription numbers to pay for the games expenses or the game is flooded with ingame talking ads that nobody likes.

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #4085 on: November 13, 2014, 06:33:13 AM »
If you're not willing to pay the usual 15$ fee or the 12 month subscription with discount then you must really not want this game back that badly. 10 year old or not "there is no other game like cox" " I don't have fun in any other game" etc speaks to me that it's worth doing whatever possible to get the game back and to keep it running.

This game isn't going to run at 5$ or 10$ a month unless many people have multiple accounts, buy lots of cash shop items or we end up with huge subscription numbers to pay for the games expenses or the game is flooded with ingame talking ads that nobody likes.

Very correct.

Thank you Noyjitat.  ;)
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #4086 on: November 13, 2014, 06:45:23 AM »

I would not mind paying $15 a month if I could do it all at once just like the game had when it was running. And maybe add a free month.
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Dareon Kale

• Minion
« Reply #4087 on: November 13, 2014, 07:02:45 AM »
One, you have no grid on what I want, how much I want it, or the relative values of...anything to me, much less this game. I admit it. COH was not my entire world. I played other games and liked them. For shame, I know. I did, however, thoroughly enjoy my time in game, and the time I most enjoyed was spent playing with groups of other people.

Two, how is it that $15/month is the magic bullet that makes everything work? Everyone seems so certain that this is the point at which it keeps everything afloat. I'm not locked into a number, and, for the record, I would pay $15/month if that is where the bar is set. I'm also not convinced that it is the clear cut optimum price range.

Sometimes I really wonder if some folks would prefer to just have the game to themselves. If others didn't go through the pangs of separation and loss, then clearly they wouldn't be able to appreciate the game, and perhaps they should play something else.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #4088 on: November 13, 2014, 07:09:12 AM »
One, you have no grid on what I want, how much I want it, or the relative values of...anything to me, much less this game. I admit it. COH was not my entire world. I played other games and liked them. For shame, I know. I did, however, thoroughly enjoy my time in game, and the time I most enjoyed was spent playing with groups of other people.

Two, how is it that $15/month is the magic bullet that makes everything work? Everyone seems so certain that this is the point at which it keeps everything afloat. I'm not locked into a number, and, for the record, I would pay $15/month if that is where the bar is set. I'm also not convinced that it is the clear cut optimum price range.

Sometimes I really wonder if some folks would prefer to just have the game to themselves. If others didn't go through the pangs of separation and loss, then clearly they wouldn't be able to appreciate the game, and perhaps they should play something else.
Too add to this I motion that we table this talk about subs or no sub and what one should pay. All this will do is devolve into a flame war.
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4089 on: November 13, 2014, 07:13:59 AM »
Too add to this I motion that we table this talk about subs or no sub and what one should pay. All this will do is devolve into a flame war.

Wise policy
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #4090 on: November 13, 2014, 07:19:26 AM »

Awww...But I was looking forward to making Smores on it...
"Let's get dangerous..."
Lead Developer and Master of Mischief - Revival Project.
Revival website: APR.Pc-Logix.com

Drauger9

• Elite Boss
    • My gaming blog
« Reply #4091 on: November 13, 2014, 08:50:06 AM »

sorry about that.... *logs off his elec/fire brute* *logs in his elec/storm troller*

Netzahualcoyotl

• Minion
« Reply #4092 on: November 13, 2014, 09:37:07 AM »

This....
... Atlanteans fled to far corners of the planet to preserve themselves and as much of their science and technology as time would allow...  Atlantean DNA remains among the inhabitants of Earth... and when the strains randomly cross-multiply... a re-combined Atlantean can occasionally result - stronger, faster, more evolved with abilities far beyond those of normal humanity... A being like... Atzlanticus!

Netzahualcoyotl

• Minion
« Reply #4093 on: November 13, 2014, 09:39:55 AM »

And this....

(glad the Navy taught us to have thick skins.... I took no offense from anyone here) ;)

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4094 on: November 13, 2014, 05:27:31 PM »
And this....

(glad the Navy taught us to have thick skins.... I took no offense from anyone here) ;)

Barnacles? :)
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #4095 on: November 13, 2014, 05:41:45 PM »
As I said previously, we won't know what it will cost until the announcement gets made on what the pricing policy is going to be. That will be set by people who have access to a lot more info than we have.

It's pretty simple really. If they decide to charge 15$ per month for a sub and you want to play CoH bad enough to pay it, then you will. If not, then you won't.

If they feel they can make more on volume then they will lower the sub fee. If not, they won't.

We don't set the price. No one has asked for our advice on pricing. All we can decide is what we are willing to pay.

There is no point in people getting a flame war about something like this as we have ZERO control over any of it. Nothing we say about pricing here will matter if once the numbers are crunched they decide to charge 10$ or 15$ or no dollars. People willing to pay $15 a month can't force you to pay it and people who want to pay almost nothing can't force whoever ends up running this to charge any less than they choose to charge for it.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

Teikiatsu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4096 on: November 13, 2014, 06:28:02 PM »
Does this board actually *have* flamewars?  For a bunch of gamers I haven't seen much nerdrage thrown around.
Virtue Server - Main: Midnight Lightning Dark/Elec/Psi Defender

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfKUPgy_xH8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EitO6Wq_9A

KennonGL

• Boss
« Reply #4097 on: November 13, 2014, 06:29:24 PM »
Does this board actually *have* flamewars?  For a bunch of gamers I haven't seen much nerdrage thrown around.

Our flamewars are more like BBQ skirmishes, but yeah ... no point in agitating anyone over a bunch of "what-ifs" at this point.

Netzahualcoyotl

• Minion
« Reply #4098 on: November 13, 2014, 07:21:06 PM »
Barnacles? :)

My destroyer (USS Briscoe DD-977) collected its share.... every year it seemed we spent a month docked for refits and water-line sanding..... ;)

MM3squints

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4099 on: November 13, 2014, 08:24:59 PM »
My destroyer (USS Briscoe DD-977) collected its share.... every year it seemed we spent a month docked for refits and water-line sanding..... ;)

Thankfully I never had to do that, I just got irradiated in a 100 degrees steam plant xD