Author Topic: And the mask comes off.  (Read 1747844 times)

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
Re: And the mask comes off.
« Reply #4060 on: November 12, 2014, 03:52:25 PM »
I suppose it depends on what you consider to be a high sub fee.
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

ivanhedgehog

• New Efforts # 25,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4061 on: November 12, 2014, 05:10:07 PM »
I suppose it depends on what you consider to be a high sub fee.

my thought exactly..$15 a month is cheap...1 trip to mcdonalds.....

MM3squints

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4062 on: November 12, 2014, 05:13:15 PM »

Haven't been to a McDonolds in awhile, but there is no way a meal cost 15 dollars O.o 15 dollars is the price for a food in a sitdown restaurant that doesn't serve dehydrated

ivanhedgehog

• New Efforts # 25,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4063 on: November 12, 2014, 05:34:43 PM »
Haven't been to a McDonolds in awhile, but there is no way a meal cost 15 dollars O.o 15 dollars is the price for a food in a sitdown restaurant that doesn't serve dehydrated

when I go to mcd's, i buy for my wife and I..+ a smoothie..$15 goes fast

InOnePiece

• Minion
« Reply #4064 on: November 12, 2014, 05:58:12 PM »
Haven't been to a McDonolds in awhile, but there is no way a meal cost 15 dollars O.o

You're not factoring in the healthcare costs associated with eating at McDs.

Surelle

« Reply #4065 on: November 12, 2014, 06:14:06 PM »

... the newer games HAVE  to be the subscription draw (APR, CoT, etc.), but the 10 year old original CoH (and the CoV supplement) in its I23 stasis should be f2p for the most part just to draw other players into the CoX world...

And do you actually think money, diamonds and gold bars are going to drop from the sky onto Team Hail Mary to keep CoX going for free?  ....   Really? 

Are YOU going to foot the bill then?

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #4066 on: November 12, 2014, 07:49:12 PM »
We had three accounts at my house and we have set aside about 200.00 dollars to get all the old stuff and would be happy to pay 15$ a month.

The truth is we have no idea what the market will bear and any estimates about what it will be like are just guesses. You can state what you are willing to  pay but unless you work for an MMO in marketing you are just guessing like the rest of us.

Maybe you think it should FTP or 5$ a month. I want the game back and I am willing to pay to do so. If you aren't that's cool, but many of us are.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
« Reply #4067 on: November 12, 2014, 08:27:18 PM »
I have no issue with $15 a month especially if that means everything is unlocked. Just praying there's no freebie players.. at this point no one should be playing for free...the point is for CoHi23 to remain alive and freebies don't help that at all. I have a feeling the sub price will more likely be $10/month though... which I think is completely reasonable.

Teikiatsu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4068 on: November 12, 2014, 08:29:28 PM »

Where?  In Canada?
Virtue Server - Main: Midnight Lightning Dark/Elec/Psi Defender

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfKUPgy_xH8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EitO6Wq_9A

Teikiatsu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4069 on: November 12, 2014, 08:35:27 PM »
And do you actually think money, diamonds and gold bars are going to drop from the sky onto Team Hail Mary to keep CoX going for free?  ....   Really? 

Are YOU going to foot the bill then?

I don't have a problem with $15 for a single sub fee.  I would have a problem with multiple sub fees that I planned for bringing back my wife's toons and son's sandbox. 

I don't see the need for the original sub costs if all that is happening is bringing the game back online with no development.  I do see a need for some type of sub fee to keep servers alive, support crew, and compensation to the people who worked this all out.  And if the money is going to APR or CoT or others, so be it.
Virtue Server - Main: Midnight Lightning Dark/Elec/Psi Defender

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfKUPgy_xH8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EitO6Wq_9A

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4070 on: November 12, 2014, 09:32:25 PM »
Reality has to set in at some point.

This is a retired game being brought back to life. Once the costs are known for support (much of that work may be done by volunteers - GM's and such), hosting and associated costs - likely it could be done by a 3rd party vendor fairly cheap and a minimal staff for accounting and management. Once these are reached then you know what to price it at to run a small profit monthly - I would then take this profit and sink it into CoH 1.5 and possibly form a partnership with the APR team.

Why reinvent the wheel? If the team running the old game has support staff, hosting set up and accounting in place - why would you want to absorb those costs again?

Making enough money to run the game, pay some people and provide for future development would be the key. Alas, we don't know the deal reached - maybe the Classic game is required to be a seperate entity.  I would have to seriously look at my finances to run something like this. I know how much my wife and I both make and to retire early from a good job to move to another uncertan job would have to at least equal what I make now.

It would come down to how does the game start?

Is NCSoft willing to fund the restart with an immediate repay as soon as possible? Would it require a business loan? I don't fancy taking a loan against my 401k to fund the game unless I could run a business plan project costs versus return. If the ROI was under say 3 years - fair enough - otherwise it would be a tough sell.

ivanhedgehog

• New Efforts # 25,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4071 on: November 12, 2014, 10:03:44 PM »
You're not factoring in the healthcare costs associated with eating at McDs.

that means....subscribing to COH is good for your health!!!!!

I was able to play coh while just out of intensive care for 6 heart bypasses.......fuuuuuunnnnnn!!!!!!

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4072 on: November 12, 2014, 10:05:43 PM »
Reality has to set in at some point.

This is a retired game being brought back to life. Once the costs are known for support (much of that work may be done by volunteers - GM's and such), hosting and associated costs - likely it could be done by a 3rd party vendor fairly cheap and a minimal staff for accounting and management. Once these are reached then you know what to price it at to run a small profit monthly - I would then take this profit and sink it into CoH 1.5 and possibly form a partnership with the APR team.

Why reinvent the wheel? If the team running the old game has support staff, hosting set up and accounting in place - why would you want to absorb those costs again?

Making enough money to run the game, pay some people and provide for future development would be the key. Alas, we don't know the deal reached - maybe the Classic game is required to be a seperate entity.  I would have to seriously look at my finances to run something like this. I know how much my wife and I both make and to retire early from a good job to move to another uncertan job would have to at least equal what I make now.

It would come down to how does the game start?

Is NCSoft willing to fund the restart with an immediate repay as soon as possible? Would it require a business loan? I don't fancy taking a loan against my 401k to fund the game unless I could run a business plan project costs versus return. If the ROI was under say 3 years - fair enough - otherwise it would be a tough sell.
If such people need startup money, I doubt they'd lack for it around here.  I threw $1,000 at City of Titans, another $100 at Valiance, and I'd be willing to throw another $1,000 at the i23 restart company.  If I actually got that $ back, well that's a bonus.

pinballdave

• Elite Boss
  • I am the player formerly known as Psylenz
« Reply #4073 on: November 12, 2014, 11:31:32 PM »
This is all my personal speculation. I would propose that the folks running the Legacy/zombie version would operate for a break even or very modest wafer thin margin with incentives for patrons in the Revival I 24/Revival/CoH 1.5. Revival is where the Investors will have a more flashy product to sell.

How much would I pay for a game that I would play probably 6  days out of 7 per week? $15/25 days is 60 cents per day. When I was in college I would spend  $1/day on video games and pinball. 60cents is a sacrifice of a can of soda? a cup of coffee? the difference between a regular coffee and a starbucks? For a VIP, $15/mo seems comfortable for one account - especially for my beloved CoH.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4074 on: November 13, 2014, 12:23:56 AM »
I don't have a problem with $15 for a single sub fee.  I would have a problem with multiple sub fees that I planned for bringing back my wife's toons and son's sandbox. 

I don't see the need for the original sub costs if all that is happening is bringing the game back online with no development.  I do see a need for some type of sub fee to keep servers alive, support crew, and compensation to the people who worked this all out.  And if the money is going to APR or CoT or others, so be it.

I would like to see $15 for first subscription then say: $10 for additional accounts attached to your main account. 

All proceeds go to server maintenance, electrical/bandwidth fees, staff and of course CoH 1.5
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4075 on: November 13, 2014, 01:33:51 AM »
Interesting thought Sinistar :)
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4076 on: November 13, 2014, 02:23:05 AM »
The whole process that's been involved in this remarkable attempt to resurrect our beloved game is starting to make me think of Niagara Falls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYP1OBZfFK0

Slowly we turn...  :D
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4077 on: November 13, 2014, 03:02:45 AM »
The whole process that's been involved in this remarkable attempt to resurrect our beloved game is starting to make me think of Niagara Falls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYP1OBZfFK0

Slowly we turn...  :D

Step by step.....Inch by Inch....
In fearful COH-less days

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4078 on: November 13, 2014, 03:08:58 AM »
Keep the flags flying!

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4079 on: November 13, 2014, 03:18:24 AM »
Just got done in MIDS making up some new brute builds.  Every now and then the mad scientist MIDS builder in me must work.....
In fearful COH-less days