Author Topic: And the mask comes off.  (Read 1750555 times)

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
Re: And the mask comes off.
« Reply #3940 on: November 01, 2014, 04:16:01 PM »
Time for the weekly reminder that there is no real topic to derail until we know something new?

On a further tangent, the Valiance Kickstarter is going nicely. Not a plug, or anything, just an observation. I know some people have picked a favorite, already, but I would like to see all of the projects at least make it to beta.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Surelle

« Reply #3941 on: November 01, 2014, 10:31:54 PM »
Time for the weekly reminder that there is no real topic to derail until we know something new?

On a further tangent, the Valiance Kickstarter is going nicely. Not a plug, or anything, just an observation. I know some people have picked a favorite, already, but I would like to see all of the projects at least make it to beta.

I wish them luck, and I'm sure a lot of hard work is going into it, but it seems a bit....archaic.  Personally there are very few games I would pay to help kickstart, and VO isn't one of those few unfortunately.  But then again, I don't have to send GMAC a check so that they can develop a car I may or may not ever be interested in purchasing several years down the line, hehe.  I just wait for a finished offering and go from there.

AlienOne

• HumanZero
  • Elite Boss
  • Resident Kheldian
« Reply #3942 on: November 02, 2014, 12:09:56 AM »

Same.... I'm actually extremely excited about what they've done and how transparent they've been--and they've constantly been showing what they've been up to. That's a great start in my book. Here's hoping they get a lot of coverage (just like CoT)!
"What COH did was to show [developers of other] MMOs what they could be like if they gave up on controlling everything in the game, and just made it something great to play."  - Johnny Joy Bringer

Darkojin

• Minion
« Reply #3943 on: November 02, 2014, 02:01:30 AM »
Spec Ops the line is a horror game?  I thought it was more so about the atrocities of war and blindly following orders.  A great horror game out there (or demo I should say) if you are a horror lover is a game known as PT.  It is a demo for the next silent hill game, and boy is it freaking creepy.  I don't know where to find the download but its free.

http://www.ign.com/wikis/silent-hills/P.T._Demo_Walkthrough  if you want to take a peak.

Disclaimer - If you don't like creepy horror themed things, then just avoid the link.  It's not bad but still screenshots of a horror game.

I am not sure if it is available on other systems, but P.T. is in the Playstation Store on PS4 as a free download. And as someone else mentioned, it pretty much is a 'scary puzzle' game in that you are looking for clues about what is going on, and why your character is stuck in an infinite loop of a hallway.

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3944 on: November 02, 2014, 03:56:53 AM »
no that game wasa game that was made to tell people who bought it that they were horrible for playing video games. one of those stupid 'deconstruction of the genera' pieces of nonsense.....errr in my opinion - i am thankful i didnt buy it.

I really think its more so about when you play a video game you are automatically the hero and they are automatically the villain.  And anything you do is right because you are a good guy, and anything they do is bad cause they are a bad guy.  Spec Op's wanted to grab a more realistic take on it.  Their are consequences for your actions in war and people will be affected by the decisions you made.  People will feel the loss of those you killed.  The game is a bit heavy on the de-construction of genre like you said. But it was about time someone made a game that tried to captured some of the evil's of war instead of just pure glory and heroism.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3945 on: November 02, 2014, 05:02:29 AM »
I really think its more so about when you play a video game you are automatically the hero and they are automatically the villain.  And anything you do is right because you are a good guy, and anything they do is bad cause they are a bad guy.  Spec Op's wanted to grab a more realistic take on it.  Their are consequences for your actions in war and people will be affected by the decisions you made.  People will feel the loss of those you killed.  The game is a bit heavy on the de-construction of genre like you said. But it was about time someone made a game that tried to captured some of the evil's of war instead of just pure glory and heroism.

Thats what I've noticed so far already in spec ops and I haven't gotten all the way through just yet.  Was going to yesterday, but wasn't really in any condition to do much regrettably on friday.  Never get up fast after just having had any plasma drawn from ya, can cause some annoying problems :( and I was left a little off for it.  Anyhow, I am glad from what i've seen of spec ops that it doesn't paint the whole thing in black and white, which is actually I think it's real strong point.

On the opposite spectrum, I'm also having a LOT of fun with serious sam 3.  So far i've just gotten to the first level with the devastator, but since it's a first play through, been missing a lot of the secrets so I am naturally struggling to have sufficient ammo for everything in a couple spots for key weapons.  Not a huge deal, but I am kind of welcoming the challenge of the game.  It's certainly not strong on it's story but admittedly, I'm noticing it's better then some really early ones(at least sam clearly has a crush on someone).  But I like how the game allows you to switch weapons fast and also blast hordes away.  Just wish I knew where a secret minigun was(found a secret cannon and managed to get some nice cannon shots on the occasional biomech major).
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3946 on: November 02, 2014, 06:46:58 AM »
Let's steer at least a little bit back on course, folks, please. :) Digression is fine, but when it's been nearly three pages, we need to get back on track. ;)

We have an Other Games subforum if you'd like to continue discussing.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Drauger9

• Elite Boss
    • My gaming blog
« Reply #3947 on: November 02, 2014, 09:22:21 AM »
Let's steer at least a little bit back on course, folks, please. :) Digression is fine, but when it's been nearly three pages, we need to get back on track. ;)

We have an Other Games subforum if you'd like to continue discussing.

But first, I just wanted to say. I hope to see all the projects go all the way threw to complete launch.

With that out of the way.... more speculation, when does everyone guestamate we'll have a new announcement?

I'm guessing somewhere around the end of December with a bread crumb "maybe" before then.

pinballdave

• Elite Boss
  • I am the player formerly known as Psylenz
« Reply #3948 on: November 02, 2014, 12:23:07 PM »
But first, I just wanted to say. I hope to see all the projects go all the way threw to complete launch.

With that out of the way.... more speculation, when does everyone guestamate we'll have a new announcement?

I'm guessing somewhere around the end of December with a bread crumb "maybe" before then.

I believe there is incentive to make a sale for extra thin wafer of income for NCSoft before year end

brothermutant

• New Efforts # 14,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3949 on: November 02, 2014, 01:19:33 PM »

I am guessing we will hear a little bit once a month until it gets finalized, just to keep us interested. We already heard in sept and oct, so I say again in Nov and maybe a December announcement (not saying it will be up in Dec, but I can dream).

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #3950 on: November 02, 2014, 04:46:20 PM »

Then get Nate to toss us some ambiguous comment so we can obsess on THAT for the next two weeks!

(like my dog trying to get at the bunny under my deck through the spaces in the deck planks)
"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"

duane

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3951 on: November 02, 2014, 05:19:57 PM »
Then get Nate to toss us some ambiguous comment so we can obsess on THAT for the next two weeks!

(like my dog trying to get at the bunny under my deck through the spaces in the deck planks)

I hope it is turkey themed.  For our non-American friends I hope it is turkey themed for them too.

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #3952 on: November 02, 2014, 05:23:35 PM »
Ooh! Ooh! I know, the theme from the Greatest American Hero!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4JCehDOy54

[ontopic]It's great that they are working on getting the game back.[/ontopic]
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #3953 on: November 04, 2014, 12:57:57 AM »
Ooh! Ooh! I know, the theme from the Greatest American Hero!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4JCehDOy54

[ontopic]It's great that they are working on getting the game back.[/ontopic]

Yay! In the suggested videos list to the side of this are the pilot episode and the "backdoor pilot" for Greatest American Heroine, which I've been trying to find for a few years, now! Thank you! :)

Just to pay lip service to the topic, if Nate could give us a quick, "Hey, so keep the faith! No news is good news," it would settle a lot of frayed nerves. I mean, not mine. I have beer and [substitute MMO] to get me by, but not everyone is as blase. :)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #3954 on: November 04, 2014, 09:12:49 AM »

On topic! Right! I can *DO* On Topic! On topicy topic of topicness!

So how about that heated politcal subje....No....I mean...Wait...That's not on topic...

Toooopiiiiiii....Vin...Boats.....Sports Cars......Picnics..... Jack of Irons in a TuTu....

COH!
 There it is. Found it. Whoo.

"Let's get dangerous..."
Lead Developer and Master of Mischief - Revival Project.
Revival website: APR.Pc-Logix.com

Rejolt

• Elite Boss
  • Infinity Server 2005-2012
« Reply #3955 on: November 04, 2014, 11:24:34 AM »
On topic! Right! I can *DO* On Topic! On topicy topic of topicness!

So how about that heated politcal subje....No....I mean...Wait...That's not on topic...

Toooopiiiiiii....Vin...Boats.....Sports Cars......Picnics..... Jack of Irons in a TuTu....

COH!
 There it is. Found it. Whoo.

Hmm... toon idea... Derail Tropic: Beam Rifle/Fire Blaster? Derail Topic: Beam Rifle/Mental?

As for the successor stuff and CoH Legacy - finding other stuff to do, supporting the efforts with your wallet and being positive helps!
Rejolt Industries LLC is now a thing. Woo!

Minotaur

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3956 on: November 04, 2014, 07:29:06 PM »
Hmm... toon idea... Derail Topic: Beam Rifle/Mental?

Of course the race would have to be Tro...unicorn.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3957 on: November 05, 2014, 01:01:27 AM »
I used my mids to design builds based on Kirito and Asuna from sword art online.
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

Rejolt

• Elite Boss
  • Infinity Server 2005-2012
« Reply #3958 on: November 05, 2014, 03:41:12 AM »
I used my mids to design builds based on Kirito and Asuna from sword art online.

Is that kind of like Homer Simpson eating the dirt beneath a stadium when he was trying to quit beer?

If so... /points finger: "Get behind me, Satan!"
Rejolt Industries LLC is now a thing. Woo!

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #3959 on: November 05, 2014, 04:24:28 AM »
Spoiler for Hidden:

Anyone feel like a movie?
"Let's get dangerous..."
Lead Developer and Master of Mischief - Revival Project.
Revival website: APR.Pc-Logix.com