Author Topic: And the mask comes off.  (Read 1749084 times)

archaist

• Minion
Re: And the mask comes off.
« Reply #3600 on: October 13, 2014, 03:21:25 PM »
Never used livestraming for CoX, would you use Twitch or another medium?

Twitch if you want to get the viewers and show people the game. Anything less and you just wont get major views. Azubu is the next best thing, but you can't just set up a stream with them like you can on twitch. Hitbox just doesn't have the viewer base to compete. Better yet, through some "beta keys"/invite some major streamers to play, that would be more marketing then CoH ever got in its lifetime.
The unseen blade is the deadliest.

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3601 on: October 13, 2014, 04:05:08 PM »
Probably a liability related decision...I expect it's not unlike why Vega become M. Bison in Street Fighter II, why scads of names got changed in JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, etc.  People can nerdrage about this if they wish, but it's nice to live one's life without getting sued.  It's especially nice to not get sued by the RIAA, a group of people who have raised soullessness to an art form.
Even so, the Japanese version had an alternate subtitle: "Tengoku no Tobira", or "Door to Heaven" which is also relevant to the movie's plot in a way that "The Movie" is not (though it does, admittedly, lose the music-related pun).

In fact, every episode of the show actually had both an English title and a Japanese title (even in the untranslated Japanese version).  For many of them, the Japanese title was just the English title in katakana, but not all of them.  For example, "Toys in the Attic" was also "Yamiyo no Hevi Rokku" ("Heavy Rock of the Dark Night"), and Pierrot Le Fou had a Japanese title of ""Dōkeshi no Chinkonka" ("Requiem for a Clown").  The movie did the same thing.

So there's no reason they couldn't have called it "Cowboy Bebop: The Door To Heaven".  Calling it "The Movie" seems just too on-the-nose, like calling the next Avengers film "Avengers 2: The Movie" instead of "Avengers 2: Age of Ultron."

(And it's not "nerdrage" to dislike or disagree with something.  If a simple statement like "I think 'Knockin' on Heaven's Door' or even 'Door to Heaven' is a better subtitle than 'The Movie'" is something you interpret as rage, then I wonder what you call actual screaming rage)

AlienOne

• HumanZero
  • Elite Boss
  • Resident Kheldian
« Reply #3602 on: October 13, 2014, 05:23:16 PM »
Never used livestraming for CoX, would you use Twitch or another medium?

I'd probably use Twitch, since I already have a Twitch channel and have some limited experience with doing streaming through that before. I did a few weeks of streaming some hardcore mode Diablo 3 play a year or so ago.
"What COH did was to show [developers of other] MMOs what they could be like if they gave up on controlling everything in the game, and just made it something great to play."  - Johnny Joy Bringer

Drauger9

• Elite Boss
    • My gaming blog
« Reply #3603 on: October 13, 2014, 08:23:29 PM »
I think Twitch would be the best one to use. I tried to stream some Diablo 3 and World of Warcraft on my channel but I don't have a good enough computer.

If/when I do get a good computer. If/when COH comes back. I plan to do a Master Mind/Controller/Dominator channel. :P

I think it'd be cool, I could watch people livestreaming at work. Instead of day dreaming about COH. LOL!

Better yet, through some "beta keys"/invite some major streamers to play, that would be more marketing then CoH ever got in its lifetime.

Good idea, It'd be exciting for me to see streamers like Mufasaprime or Morikoppa (sp?) stream COH. LOL!

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #3604 on: October 13, 2014, 08:33:08 PM »
I had an idea the other night for helping to spread the word about COH. If and when it comes back.

Live streaming, I don't have a good enough comp yet. But I thought maybe a group could get together to do live streams. You know do regular content, maybe some crazy builds and the regular COH community high jinks.

Then people could actually see the game in action. :)

With that said, back to my corner until we get news. Going back and forth on which toon to hopefully make first.

This would be good for us, but, for the larger gaming community in general, it might be worth trying to get someone like Achievement Hunter interested in devoting an episode to the re-opened or Revival game.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Shidan

• Minion
« Reply #3605 on: October 13, 2014, 08:54:11 PM »
This would be good for us, but, for the larger gaming community in general, it might be worth trying to get someone like Achievement Hunter interested in devoting an episode to the re-opened or Revival game.
That reminds me about that Captain Dynamic series Rooster Teeth did for CoH. I think it was back when Mission Architect came out.

Brigadine

• Elite Boss

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3607 on: October 13, 2014, 10:09:03 PM »
So its closing in on 2 months past August any hope? Or should revive my anger for the corporate machine?

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3608 on: October 13, 2014, 10:18:02 PM »
So its closing in on 2 months past August any hope? Or should revive my anger for the corporate machine?
While I breathe, I hope. There is always hope. :-)
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

MM3squints

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3609 on: October 13, 2014, 10:19:58 PM »

Meh it has been 2 years since the game closed, what is 2 more months xD

Rejolt

• Elite Boss
  • Infinity Server 2005-2012
« Reply #3610 on: October 13, 2014, 10:21:30 PM »

Oct. 2: Proof the group can run the servers accepted.

Oct. 10: Nothing new to report.

Continue waiting with the rest of us in the Icon Lounge, good sir.
Rejolt Industries LLC is now a thing. Woo!

duane

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3611 on: October 13, 2014, 11:20:46 PM »
Oct. 2: Proof the group can run the servers accepted.

Oct. 10: Nothing new to report.

Continue waiting with the rest of us in the Icon Lounge, good sir.

forgive me, I blinked along the way and a few dozen more pages are here.  Did this get posted?

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3612 on: October 13, 2014, 11:48:11 PM »

forgive me, I blinked along the way and a few dozen more pages are here.  Did this get posted?
I think we just saw the post.   ;D

Blackshear

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3613 on: October 14, 2014, 12:21:48 AM »
(And it's not "nerdrage" to dislike or disagree with something.  If a simple statement like "I think 'Knockin' on Heaven's Door' or even 'Door to Heaven' is a better subtitle than 'The Movie'" is something you interpret as rage, then I wonder what you call actual screaming rage)

I'm not accusing anyone here of nerdrage, but this topic reminds me of the many instances of it I have seen on the topic of Japanese to English localization.  I first encountered it in the heady days of USENET, when you could hardly look at rec.arts.anime without someone proclaiming that their favorite show was RUINED FOREVER because Viz was dubbing it or how DARE that AWFUL Ted Woolsey insert Beavis and Butthead references into Final Fantasy VI (NOT III IT'S VI AND THE ENGLISH VERSION IS SO INFERIOR ARGLEBARGLE).

If you are of sufficient years and were USENET capable I'm sure you remember those good times!

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3614 on: October 14, 2014, 01:46:36 AM »
Oct 2nd Proof Accepted ?? Who reported this.. if its not Downix, Im not taking it as news at this point.

Jorge Firebomb

• Minion
« Reply #3615 on: October 14, 2014, 01:53:05 AM »
I think what they mean is that the submission of their proof of being able to run the game was accepted, not that NCSoft has accepted that their proof is valid. I would imagine this part will take some time as they look into what was provided and determine if it meets their requirements.

Feign

• Underling
« Reply #3616 on: October 14, 2014, 02:53:32 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwhAq3F8NCE
OH MY GOD  :roll:
No kidding, I hadn't heard a version with the JJ Abrams verse in it before.  That was great!

Oct 2nd Proof Accepted ?? Who reported this.. if its not Downix, Im not taking it as news at this point.
I zipped back and read all the posts in this thread from Oct 2nd and didn't see anything of the sort...  Was it in another thread?
EDIT:  Yep, didn't realize the first post of "New Efforts!" gets modified with each update.  Now I know and you do too!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 03:03:51 AM by Feign »

Darkojin

• Minion
« Reply #3617 on: October 14, 2014, 03:40:00 AM »
Even so, the Japanese version had an alternate subtitle: "Tengoku no Tobira", or "Door to Heaven" which is also relevant to the movie's plot in a way that "The Movie" is not (though it does, admittedly, lose the music-related pun).

In fact, every episode of the show actually had both an English title and a Japanese title (even in the untranslated Japanese version).  For many of them, the Japanese title was just the English title in katakana, but not all of them.  For example, "Toys in the Attic" was also "Yamiyo no Hevi Rokku" ("Heavy Rock of the Dark Night"), and Pierrot Le Fou had a Japanese title of ""Dōkeshi no Chinkonka" ("Requiem for a Clown").  The movie did the same thing.

So there's no reason they couldn't have called it "Cowboy Bebop: The Door To Heaven".  Calling it "The Movie" seems just too on-the-nose, like calling the next Avengers film "Avengers 2: The Movie" instead of "Avengers 2: Age of Ultron."

Door to Heaven would not have worked as well, Knockin' on Heaven's Door would have since every episode of the show was named after a specific song (or type of song). Owned the whole series on DVD, but I lent it to someone that moved out of town shortly afterwards, so now I am really looking forward to that Blu-Ray release coming soon.

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #3618 on: October 14, 2014, 04:11:23 AM »
There's not likely to be much update over the holiday season. NCSoft is likely very, very busy right now dealing with other things... and we're a low-priority matter as far as they're concerned.
"Let's get dangerous..."
Lead Developer and Master of Mischief - Revival Project.
Revival website: APR.Pc-Logix.com

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3619 on: October 14, 2014, 04:28:33 AM »
There's not likely to be much update over the holiday season. NCSoft is likely very, very busy right now dealing with other things... and we're a low-priority matter as far as they're concerned.

Honestly, I won't be surprised if an announcement does come at any time but I won't be surprised to see one after this year is over.  All the same though I just have one of those feelings.  Sometimes I get a dream that comes true in some way, I suspect I may have had one :).
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.