Author Topic: And the mask comes off.  (Read 1750474 times)

microc

• Boss
Re: And the mask comes off.
« Reply #3540 on: October 09, 2014, 06:03:31 PM »
ironwolf when coh goes to the real engin can you guys redo water blaster power set to there a flush power....fun watching baddie go down the drain....

pinballdave

• Elite Boss
  • I am the player formerly known as Psylenz
« Reply #3541 on: October 09, 2014, 06:13:57 PM »
ironwolf when coh goes to the real engin can you guys redo water blaster power set to there a flush power....fun watching baddie go down the drain....

That would be fun with aoe whirlpool?

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3542 on: October 09, 2014, 06:39:34 PM »

You'll also be able to get ragdolls to be a lot more scorched and damaged looking to.  Actually I think battle-damage should be somthing CoH 2 should certainly do for characters based on the % of health and how long it was at that %.  Like, get torn down to 60%, character has some scorch marks on his face/armor, slight costume tears, slight nose bleed.  Torn to 30% the face is bruised severely, a modest of blood coming out of the nose(I know, getting ideas from doom), armor if being used in the costume looks dented with paint blasted off, tights badly torn exposing skin underneath(no, we don't need full on nudity from costume damage).  Just, allow for npcs and characters to look a little blasted.  You don't have to go full on mortal kombat 9/X gore with outfit damage, just kind of consider a line know?
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3543 on: October 09, 2014, 06:45:41 PM »
I'm also extremely impressed when someone pulls off environmental damage.  One of the reasons serious sam is a fun game; trees that get hit by rockets lose leaves and are eventually destroyed if subsequent rockets hit them.  In fact Serious Sam The second encounter, one of the demo playbacks of the original game the player ends up placing himself between a tree and a bio mechanoid major, the biomech fires his rockets, the player dodges in time to see the rockets blowing the leaves off the tree.

Could have trees respawn in actual city zones to real environment damage.  And I'd make it more gradual, in like stages rather than CO's "critical existance failure" in which a crate could be torn down to 1% health and look as fine as another at 100% health.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

GN2

• Minion
« Reply #3544 on: October 09, 2014, 06:58:07 PM »
Having access to the Source for CoH wouldn't help as much as some people think. (Not for Revival anyways)
Unfortunately, I don't know what language CoH was coded in... -scratches head- A C language I'd imagine.

But so much of it would have to be...just starting from scratch anyways so that everything can be done cleanly, and well documented. Chunking in spaghetti code would just cause headache.
Based on pure educated guesswork, I would assume the engine itself was written in C, and they had some sort of separate scripting engine on top of it that used a language more suited to event scripting (such as python or lua)

Though as you've said, starting from scratch may be better in the long run anyway if the horror stories about how poorly maintained and messy the codebase had gotten have any truth to them.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3545 on: October 09, 2014, 08:07:09 PM »
I know they said in the later days of the game they were using LUA scripting. Earlier something else.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #3546 on: October 09, 2014, 08:16:55 PM »
By later you mean "experimenting with in Issue 24". An I23 image wouldn't use Lua at all (not even present in the engine), and the few uses of Lua in I24 were baby steps. It wasn't hooked to very much in the engine at all.

Samuraiko

• Honorary Paragon Dev and
  • Elite Boss
  • EVERYONE LOOK AWESOME - I'M FILMING!
    • The Wandering Crane
« Reply #3547 on: October 09, 2014, 09:32:46 PM »
As long as someone makes demorecording work with whatever engine the game ends up on, I don't care.

Michelle
aka
Samuraiko/Dark_Respite
The game may be gone, but the videos are still here...
http://www.youtube.com/samuraiko
http://cohtube.blogspot.com

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #3548 on: October 10, 2014, 01:03:09 AM »
As long as someone makes demorecording work with whatever engine the game ends up on, I don't care.

Oh, yeah. I hadn't even thought about incorporating a Demo type system. I'll have to add that to the to-do list.
"Let's get dangerous..."
Lead Developer and Master of Mischief - Revival Project.
Revival website: APR.Pc-Logix.com

pinballdave

• Elite Boss
  • I am the player formerly known as Psylenz
« Reply #3549 on: October 10, 2014, 01:48:54 AM »
Oh, yeah. I hadn't even thought about incorporating a Demo type system. I'll have to add that to the to-do list.

I am glad Irish_Girl is on our side :)

Zombie Hustler

• Elite Boss
Re: And the mask comes off
« Reply #3550 on: October 10, 2014, 01:59:25 AM »
Although nowhere does it say or imply Zero is Cupid, as far as I know.

Thanks for that link; I knew it was stated somewhere.

As for DJ Zero being Cupid, I believe it was from either Prometheus or one of Zero's Event missions that the link was established- and I don't think it was stated outright, just heavily implied (again, either by Prometheus or by Zero himself).

EDIT: I think it was most closely hinted at in Zero's own dialogue during the most recent Valentine's Event-
Question: Where can I find Cupid?
Zero: That... isn't relevant. Cupid is LONG since retired, but his bow and an arrow are in the hands of private collectors.

That bit of dialogue, plus something Prometheus said in one of his things about the Greek Gods and the Wells, IIRC, are what led me to that assumption initially. The Devs later confirmation that Zero was his own Well was just the icing on the cake. But it hasn't been outright stated, no.

(Question for the next Lore AMA?)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 02:04:51 AM by jsmill@wans.net »

Zombie Hustler

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3551 on: October 10, 2014, 02:08:52 AM »
I am glad Irish_Girl is on our side :)

Is she?

Or is she really just a Nemesis Plot?

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3552 on: October 10, 2014, 02:32:01 AM »
She's a Plotting, tantruming spoiled noble trying to get everyone to make lots and lots of IO's for everyone and there is no game to make IOs in, er, one of us.  Yes, nmmmhmmm, she is :).

ivanhedgehog

• New Efforts # 25,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3553 on: October 10, 2014, 03:04:38 AM »
Is she?

Or is she really just a Nemesis Plot?

nemesis is a Irish girl plot

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3554 on: October 10, 2014, 03:12:30 AM »

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3555 on: October 10, 2014, 04:09:20 AM »

Remaugen

• Elite Boss
  • Android Clan of One
« Reply #3556 on: October 10, 2014, 04:53:21 AM »
That's cool and disturbing at the same time.
We're almost there!  ;D

The RNG hates me.

Zychan

• Underling
« Reply #3557 on: October 10, 2014, 01:14:51 PM »

LOL!  Awesome!

Rejolt

• Elite Boss
  • Infinity Server 2005-2012
« Reply #3558 on: October 10, 2014, 04:12:59 PM »

Soon (tm) ... It will be.
Rejolt Industries LLC is now a thing. Woo!

ivanhedgehog

• New Efforts # 25,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3559 on: October 10, 2014, 04:38:13 PM »
I for one, welcome our new Irish Girl overlords....