Author Topic: And the mask comes off.  (Read 1750178 times)

MM3squints

• Elite Boss
Re: And the mask comes off.
« Reply #3520 on: October 08, 2014, 03:41:21 PM »
Yeah, but I'm fatter than you, so have a bigger... opinion! :p

..and you float so you have that going for you

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #3521 on: October 08, 2014, 08:12:05 PM »
The problem there is unless NCsoft gives the team source code access, and by some great boon they figure out a way to reasonably transplant CoH's scripting engine to UE4 (Therefore making it so a great deal of things don't actually have to be rewritten), it would be a massive undertaking almost on par with making an entirely new game.
Even IF they manage to transplant the script, it's going to be a lot of work.

Having access to the Source for CoH wouldn't help as much as some people think. (Not for Revival anyways)
Unfortunately, I don't know what language CoH was coded in... -scratches head- A C language I'd imagine.

But so much of it would have to be...just starting from scratch anyways so that everything can be done cleanly, and well documented. Chunking in spaghetti code would just cause headache.
"Let's get dangerous..."
Lead Developer and Master of Mischief - Revival Project.
Revival website: APR.Pc-Logix.com

BadWolf

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3522 on: October 08, 2014, 08:30:35 PM »
Chunking in spaghetti code would just cause headache.

It would, however, be more successful than adding actual spaghetti to your computer.

...learned that the hard way.

Rejolt

• Elite Boss
  • Infinity Server 2005-2012
« Reply #3523 on: October 08, 2014, 08:39:46 PM »
It would, however, be more successful than adding actual spaghetti to your computer.

...learned that the hard way.

"The proof are in the files in this computer!"

/throws PC

"Where are all the files"
Rejolt Industries LLC is now a thing. Woo!

opprime2828

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3524 on: October 08, 2014, 09:09:29 PM »
No.

As in, no, you cannot ask.  Nor do you want to, when a possible deal to acquire the rights to I23 is still on the table.  Bird in the hand, bird in the hand.

If anyone has an I24 image, and its something they want to share, you won't need to ask.  They'll find us.  If they don't or can't share, no amount of unsolicited asking will change their mind.

This.

And honestly, if someone had one, I wouldn't want them to present it to anyone in public way. It could very well sour a deal, since it could make NCSoft start to put all sorts of restrictions on what could be/could not be done with the i23 image, if they still agreed to release it at all.

Let it go.  Please.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 01:46:38 AM by opprime2828 »

opprime2828

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3525 on: October 08, 2014, 09:41:17 PM »
So on a side note:  a student of mind today told me she officially decided she's going in to art design for video games.  I told her about the Unreal Engine 4 19 dollar deal and she thinks she's going to try it out just to get a heads up on playing around with the software before she goes to school next fall.   

See, this thread not only is reuniting the community and giving us Arcana knowledge, it's also changing lives one person at a time.

:P

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #3526 on: October 08, 2014, 10:13:14 PM »
..and you float so you have that going for you
i float as well.

Only in water and denser liquids, and i have to make sure i have positive buoyancy, but it still counts, darn it! Unfortunately i'm not as big as the baron and i don't have a Hover harness to avoid the need for water or similar fluids.

For a while i was on tenterhooks, but it's been so long that they became uncomfortable and i've taken to merely dropping in every so often hoping for some news, preferably good.
So far so good. Onward and upward!

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #3527 on: October 08, 2014, 10:15:19 PM »
So far so good. Onward and upward!

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #3528 on: October 09, 2014, 12:02:05 AM »
Yeah, but I'm fatter than you, so have a bigger... opinion! :p

You sound like my wife...

Except, you know, she's not a dude.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3529 on: October 09, 2014, 01:31:19 AM »
You sound like my wife...

Except, you know, she's not a dude.

I hope your wife doesn't have internet access.

Darkojin

• Minion
« Reply #3530 on: October 09, 2014, 01:31:42 AM »
So on a side note:  a student of mind today told me she officially decided she's going in to art design for video games.  I told her about the Unreal Engine 4 19 dollar deal and she thinks she's going to try it out just to get a heads up on playing around with the software before she goes to school next fall.   

See, this thread not only is reuniting the community and giving us Arcana knowledge, it's also changing lives one person at a time.

:P

What is this $19 deal for Unreal 4? Do you have a link to any information on it?

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3531 on: October 09, 2014, 03:56:38 AM »
What is this $19 deal for Unreal 4? Do you have a link to any information on it?

According to this article, the deal is $19/month software subscription, plus 5% royalty fee on any games you sell built on the engine.  http://www.polygon.com/2014/3/19/5526094/unreal-engine-4-subscription-epic-games

But its even better than that: https://www.unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4

Its free for schools, and the 5% royalty only kicks in after the first $3000 in sales per quarter.

Which is a really, really, really good deal.

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3532 on: October 09, 2014, 04:12:36 AM »
According to this article, the deal is $19/month software subscription, plus 5% royalty fee on any games you sell built on the engine.  http://www.polygon.com/2014/3/19/5526094/unreal-engine-4-subscription-epic-games

But its even better than that: https://www.unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4

Its free for schools, and the 5% royalty only kicks in after the first $3000 in sales per quarter.

Which is a really, really, really good deal.
Also, according to Irish Girl, you really only have to pay once.   All you lose is the frequent updates (and access to some resources on the website?)

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #3533 on: October 09, 2014, 05:30:54 AM »
I wish I could help out making new zones and or instances or even enemies, but I cannot draw a stick figure :(
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Remaugen

• Elite Boss
  • Android Clan of One
« Reply #3534 on: October 09, 2014, 06:21:28 AM »
I wish I could help out making new zones and or instances or even enemies, but I cannot draw a stick figure :(

Me too, I am slowly learning 3D graphics in DAZ & Poser, but Blender has me completely baffled and no way in hell can I afford 3D Max. I would love to be a part of something so wonderful as I really have the feeling that Irish Girl and the APR team she develops are gonna knock it out of the park.
We're almost there!  ;D

The RNG hates me.

Zombie Hustler

• Elite Boss
Re: And the mask comes off
« Reply #3535 on: October 09, 2014, 06:36:20 AM »
(Lots of stuff about potential Incarnate storyline and things involving Players becoming a Well)

IIRC, the Devs not only strongly hinted at but outright stated that becoming a Well was the ultimate "endgame" of the Incarnate path. I want to say they mention it in one of the Lore AMAs, but I believe that Prometheus more or less points out that is what would happen (and strongly alludes to DJ Zero- formerly the Greek God Cupid- being an example of just such a thing.)

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
Re: And the mask comes off
« Reply #3536 on: October 09, 2014, 12:18:25 PM »
IIRC, the Devs not only strongly hinted at but outright stated that becoming a Well was the ultimate "endgame" of the Incarnate path. I want to say they mention it in one of the Lore AMAs, but I believe that Prometheus more or less points out that is what would happen (and strongly alludes to DJ Zero- formerly the Greek God Cupid- being an example of just such a thing.)

http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted#292

Although nowhere does it say or imply Zero is Cupid, as far as I know.

Drawing is a very different sort of thing than 3d modeling. And based on what Irish Girl says goes in to converting CoH to Unreal, drawing might not be important at all for some steps.

Plus, new zones and enemies will need stories, so if you have ideas, put those out there, and let someone else do the art.
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

mrultimate

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3537 on: October 09, 2014, 01:11:56 PM »

Geez there is more than one of us artisticlly challenged types here?

AlienOne

• HumanZero
  • Elite Boss
  • Resident Kheldian
« Reply #3538 on: October 09, 2014, 01:56:28 PM »
Geez there is more than one of us artisticlly challenged types here?

Me--in a sense....

I have great photography/film skills, so "artistically" speaking, I'm good there... But, yeah... drawing/painting? I'm in the stick figure category as well...lol
"What COH did was to show [developers of other] MMOs what they could be like if they gave up on controlling everything in the game, and just made it something great to play."  - Johnny Joy Bringer

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3539 on: October 09, 2014, 01:57:38 PM »
Having access to the Source for CoH wouldn't help as much as some people think. (Not for Revival anyways)
Unfortunately, I don't know what language CoH was coded in... -scratches head- A C language I'd imagine.

But so much of it would have to be...just starting from scratch anyways so that everything can be done cleanly, and well documented. Chunking in spaghetti code would just cause headache.
CoH the main game was in C.
Databases and such could vary.