Author Topic: And the mask comes off.  (Read 1747891 times)

blacksly

• Elite Boss
Re: And the mask comes off.
« Reply #3080 on: September 26, 2014, 03:51:14 PM »
I don't know, but I did spend a lot of mental time trying to figure out what kinds of superpowers a half-man, half-seacow would have, so I could make the story of Subject O, an experiment in creating animal/human hybrids. He was going to be O--the Humanatee!

...please don't hurt me.

Sorry, but pleas notwithstanding, you really need to be hurt for that :p

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #3081 on: September 26, 2014, 03:53:08 PM »
I must have been otherwise occupied during the 'psychic whale incident'.

Do tell!

Long story short, one of our well known Union RPers decided to start off an RP thread involving a psychic whale "villain", 2 or 3 posts in to it, an American RPer dropped into the thread and shoved a dirty great sword through the whales brain, lobotomising it and killing the thread dead...

She never tried open RP on the forums again... :(

hejtmane

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3082 on: September 26, 2014, 05:06:58 PM »
Long story short, one of our well known Union RPers decided to start off an RP thread involving a psychic whale "villain", 2 or 3 posts in to it, an American RPer dropped into the thread and shoved a dirty great sword through the whales brain, lobotomising it and killing the thread dead...

She never tried open RP on the forums again... :(

That sounds like it was funny as hell putting a"dirty great sword through the whales brain"

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #3083 on: September 26, 2014, 05:09:50 PM »
That sounds like it was funny as hell putting a"dirty great sword through the whales brain"

In what way is completely killing the RP thread, funny?  It was barely getting started, when along came this completely brainless pancaking idiot, who completely and utterly ruins it for everyone.

Yeah, funny as hell.

duane

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3084 on: September 26, 2014, 05:25:20 PM »
In what way is completely killing the RP thread, funny?  It was barely getting started, when along came this completely brainless pancaking idiot, who completely and utterly ruins it for everyone.

Yeah, funny as hell.

The whale had been biologically dead for years.  Chopping up the tissue all you want would reveal the whale carcass nothing more than a host for something greater.  The size of the object containing a greater, nefarious purpose.

So, there. 

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #3085 on: September 26, 2014, 05:29:13 PM »
The whale had been biologically dead for years.  Chopping up the tissue all you want would reveal the whale carcass nothing more than a host for something greater.  The size of the object containing a greater, nefarious purpose.

So, there.

Except that it wasn't, and it didn't. What it DID do, was greatly upset a close friend and totally put her off EVER wanting to RP with the US RPers, ever again.

All because 1 dipstick couldn't keep his ego in his pants.

Shadowe

• Boss
  • Just don't tell Manticore...
« Reply #3086 on: September 26, 2014, 05:44:50 PM »
Please bear in mind that FFM is simplifying for brevity. There was at least one psychic present that was trying to communicate with the whale at the time, most of the heroes were trying to minimise public risk...

And then one person showed up and killed the whole story in one fell swoop.

It was kind of a dick move.
The wisdom of Shadowe: Ghostraptor: The Shadowe is wise ...; FFM: Shadowe is no longer wise. ; Techbot_Alpha: Also, what Shadowe said. It seems he is still somewhat wise ; Bull Throttle: Shadowe was unwise in this instance...; Rock_Powerfist: in this instance Shadowe is wise.; Techbot_Alpha: Shadowe is very wise *nods*; Zortel: *Quotable line about Shadowe being wise goes here.* FFM: I think you're mostly wise in this instance, apart from one part.

CrimsonCapacitor

• Captain of the Hard Ship
  • Boss
« Reply #3087 on: September 26, 2014, 05:45:13 PM »

All because 1 dipstick couldn't keep his ego in his pants.

So THAT'S the sword being discussed.  Who knew?   ;D
Beware the mighty faceplant!

KennonGL

• Boss
« Reply #3088 on: September 26, 2014, 05:50:47 PM »
Speaking of excitement and planning for future toons . . .

Is there anywhere left with a Mid's version that doesn't have I24 changes baked into it ?

Or any way to turn off the I24 stuff in the last version of Mid's?

I never played around with the data portion of the builder and just went with each release's version.

Having just re-downloaded it [all of my CoH related stuff has gotten lost in the past 2 years, due to HDD

issues and bad timing to overwrite my backup drive.], I'm finding all the new pools and such rather distracting.

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #3089 on: September 26, 2014, 05:51:41 PM »
I don't know, but I did spend a lot of mental time trying to figure out what kinds of superpowers a half-man, half-seacow would have, so I could make the story of Subject O, an experiment in creating animal/human hybrids. He was going to be O--the Humanatee!

...please don't hurt me.

Lets see, his bio would go something like this:
Mr. Oliver Limpit, a mild-mannered accountant for a large health care conglomerant, with the help of really questionable/morally ambiguous science and the love of Trichechidae Trichechus, became O--the Humanatee!

As the lone sentinel of the Florida shore, O dispenses marine justice with a swift swat of his well-trained flipper.
Ever vigilant as he munches the tender sea grasses, shoal grass, manatee grass, turtle grass, widgeon grass, sea clover, and marine algae of his aquatic protectorate.

Evil, dread the swift, silent, and signifigantly gassy justice of The Big O.
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

hejtmane

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3090 on: September 26, 2014, 06:17:52 PM »
Please bear in mind that FFM is simplifying for brevity. There was at least one psychic present that was trying to communicate with the whale at the time, most of the heroes were trying to minimise public risk...

While Moby was a dick  :o

Teikiatsu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3091 on: September 26, 2014, 06:55:26 PM »

So there wasn't anything like "the psychic whale makes the person THINK they killed him" to keep the story going? 
Virtue Server - Main: Midnight Lightning Dark/Elec/Psi Defender

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfKUPgy_xH8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EitO6Wq_9A

Gorgor

• Underling
« Reply #3092 on: September 26, 2014, 07:08:02 PM »
Not sure what's going on in this thread, but can my zombies/poison MM use a chunk of exploded rotting whale flesh as a purple I/O to boost my tier 1 zombie minions' barf attack?

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3093 on: September 26, 2014, 07:32:25 PM »
So there wasn't anything like "the psychic whale makes the person THINK they killed him" to keep the story going?

I didn't read the thread in question, but what I can say is that a lot of free-flow RP story telling is about creating a safe environment to explore ideas.  If I was a participant in the thread, I might have attempted to do what you are implying could be done: basically declare open combat against someone actively trying to derail the story.  But at best, that's a bandaid: once the mood is spoiled in a thread like that, its spoiled permanently.  You can fight against forum turds like that, and you can even win, but you can't actually defend the thread, unless its completely populated by like-minded forum-combat-capable posters like yourself.  You can't create a safe environment by stomping on all the dangerous people in it.  At the end of the day, you've still created a war-zone.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3094 on: September 26, 2014, 07:34:14 PM »
SyFy having run out of every other type of movie is working on Catgirls Who Stare at Whales - Sharknado 3.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3095 on: September 26, 2014, 07:34:26 PM »
I never got that Posi hated altoholics from that article.

It helps that he never said nor implied that.

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #3096 on: September 26, 2014, 07:37:38 PM »
I didn't read the thread in question, but what I can say is that a lot of free-flow RP story telling is about creating a safe environment to explore ideas.  If I was a participant in the thread, I might have attempted to do what you are implying could be done: basically declare open combat against someone actively trying to derail the story.  But at best, that's a bandaid: once the mood is spoiled in a thread like that, its spoiled permanently.  You can fight against forum turds like that, and you can even win, but you can't actually defend the thread, unless its completely populated by like-minded forum-combat-capable posters like yourself.  You can't create a safe environment by stomping on all the dangerous people in it.  At the end of the day, you've still created a war-zone.

Pretty much this. The asshat in question completely ruined the mood.  I tried to continue it (my char really tore into the idiot verbally), but the story was pretty much ruined.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #3097 on: September 26, 2014, 08:21:52 PM »
So THAT'S the sword being discussed.  Who knew?   ;D

Does light the whole scene in a much more disturbing way, doesn't it? <shudder>

(I'm just going to assume that Rule 34 applies and move on...)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
« Reply #3098 on: September 26, 2014, 08:25:49 PM »
Yeah I didn't get the whole "hates alts" thing from that article AT ALL. To me it was more Posi talking about the uniqueness of CoH in that people wanted alts and more alts and more alts...which they could do in CoH compared to other games. To me he is actually talking about one of the things that made CoH so unique and special.... Sure he calls it a "problem" but I think he means it was something they didn't think people would do...and they weren't prepared for at first. I'm not some Posi fanboy but I truly believe people saw the word "problem" and didn't read/comprehend what he was truly saying. I look at that whole article as nothing but Posi tooting CoH's horn for giving people what they wanted and boasting about the ability to make 48 characters with the astronomical power combinations and of course the costume creator....

AlienOne

• HumanZero
  • Elite Boss
  • Resident Kheldian
« Reply #3099 on: September 26, 2014, 08:46:43 PM »
Sure he calls it a "problem"

I think what a lot of people need to realize is that when some people refer to "problem," it's not as much of a negative connotation as you would think. I don't think he was referring to it as a problem as in "we need to eliminate it" as much as he was referring to it as a problem as in "it's not something we planned for and therefore might have had to come up with a solution with our systems to compensate for it."

To put it another way, they might have thought that everyone would have between 2 and 5 characters, and then everyone wound up making around 45 on average (just a guesstimation), so that became a "problem" to them in the sense that maybe it was something they had to adjust to--not "create a cure for."
"What COH did was to show [developers of other] MMOs what they could be like if they gave up on controlling everything in the game, and just made it something great to play."  - Johnny Joy Bringer