Author Topic: And the mask comes off.  (Read 1748764 times)

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
Re: And the mask comes off.
« Reply #3060 on: September 26, 2014, 08:43:51 AM »
I'm sorry EXACTLY where does Positron/Matt Miller say... he HATES alts? I keep seeing this on the forums...and I don't remember him ever saying he hates alts....

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3061 on: September 26, 2014, 09:15:08 AM »
I'm sorry EXACTLY where does Positron/Matt Miller say... he HATES alts? I keep seeing this on the forums...and I don't remember him ever saying he hates alts....

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3062 on: September 26, 2014, 11:07:05 AM »

I have been wondering this my self.  Did he actually say he hated alts, or that he wanted to give players more of a reason to play their main.  Because I remember devs talking about that.

thunderforce

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3063 on: September 26, 2014, 11:09:46 AM »
I have been wondering this my self.  Did he actually say he hated alts, or that he wanted to give players more of a reason to play their main.  Because I remember devs talking about that.

http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/loadFeature/7676/Altism.html

"Problem", describing things that subtly guide you away from creating alts as features, etc.

Clave Dark 5

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3064 on: September 26, 2014, 11:26:09 AM »
http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/loadFeature/7676/Altism.html

Man, somehow I want to dislike the guy now, ha ha! 

I could argue against his points, but really, why bother over a year-old article?  Besides, I think I'd be preaching to the choir here.
"What you say is rather profound, and probably erroneous." - Joseph Conrad

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3065 on: September 26, 2014, 11:30:46 AM »

ryuplaneswalker

• New Efforts # 17,000!
  • Boss
« Reply #3066 on: September 26, 2014, 11:35:23 AM »

-1,000,000 Influence for NOT having Nemesis in that Meme!

Shadowe

• Boss
  • Just don't tell Manticore...
« Reply #3067 on: September 26, 2014, 12:38:07 PM »
I think that what Posi was saying is that single character investment is generally a more powerful motivator for people than "and now you do the same thing all over again, just with a different character!"

This will not always be the case. Some people love alting. But I would bet that for the majority (possibly even the vast majority) of people, being able to progress a single character, because there is always something to do on that character, is preferable.

Or, to put it another way, before Inventions, how many people had "finished" the game, and quit because they didn't want to alt? Same question before Incarnates. Even CoH's legendary retention figures could have been better.
The wisdom of Shadowe: Ghostraptor: The Shadowe is wise ...; FFM: Shadowe is no longer wise. ; Techbot_Alpha: Also, what Shadowe said. It seems he is still somewhat wise ; Bull Throttle: Shadowe was unwise in this instance...; Rock_Powerfist: in this instance Shadowe is wise.; Techbot_Alpha: Shadowe is very wise *nods*; Zortel: *Quotable line about Shadowe being wise goes here.* FFM: I think you're mostly wise in this instance, apart from one part.

KennonGL

• Boss
« Reply #3068 on: September 26, 2014, 12:52:07 PM »
"Endgame" content, and things to keep you playing your "main" forever is certainly a good thing.

It was something that CoH definitely lacked for the longest time.  I might even argue that they really
hadn't gotten there with the Incarnate stuff.

However, focusing on "endgame" to the exclusion of a rather large segment of your existing population
(ie altoholics) is just as bad as ignoring the other segment that wants to stay with a "main".

I realize there's only so many hours in a day, and only so much can go into an issue at a time, but the
last several issues all really felt to me like the devs were (more or less) done with the "under 50"
content and focused entirely on new raids (and really ONLY raids, given the rather insulting bone being
thrown for solo/small team players who wanted to Incarnate).

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #3069 on: September 26, 2014, 01:30:46 PM »
I never got that Posi hated altoholics from that article. The column was about the insiders perspective on creating MMOs. I can definitely see where the people who are putting all the work into creating all that content, from level 1 to the level cap, and trying to make sure that all of it is of the same quality are going to be a little irked when the bulk of the players are spending the majority of their time in the pre-lvl20 areas. It may have played into their thinking on changing the tutorial and beginning contacts and missions. I know that there are games that I play where it just isn't all that fun to repeat content until I'm into the teens or low 20s. Doesn't exactly encourage me to roll up a different kind of character and see how it handles the missions/quests.

That said, if you're developing a game, you want to keep your community in mind, once you see a trend, while developing follow on content. Obviously, keeping everyone happy is impossible, but Paragon did a pretty good job, overall, of giving us what we liked. Everyone's going to have missteps, but they kept us happy, or we wouldn't be here, now, nearly two years after the game shut down!
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Hobgoblin Steve

• Underling
« Reply #3070 on: September 26, 2014, 01:31:33 PM »
I'll never forget the guy who played a character called "Killer Whale", it was a invul/ss tank and he rp'd it perfectly. I only remember seeing him for the first six months or so of coh, I remember there were lots of rumours of him being banned for erp or something along those lines. I also hazily remember something being said of him confronting the devs on the forum about a major issue with the game that also may have lead to his banning. If anyone remembers or knows what actually happened PLEASE let me know, I'd love to hear about that just to put my misinformed nostalgia at ease.

Also yes Panda people existed, although the cat people definitely won the numbers game. Holy yiff balls were there always a lot of car rp'rs...

how does one RP a whale?

KennonGL

• Boss
« Reply #3071 on: September 26, 2014, 01:43:55 PM »

Shadowe

• Boss
  • Just don't tell Manticore...
« Reply #3072 on: September 26, 2014, 02:30:54 PM »
I wonder how many cat girls mistakenly took the whale for a fish, and tried to eat him...

You know what? I DON'T want to know.
The wisdom of Shadowe: Ghostraptor: The Shadowe is wise ...; FFM: Shadowe is no longer wise. ; Techbot_Alpha: Also, what Shadowe said. It seems he is still somewhat wise ; Bull Throttle: Shadowe was unwise in this instance...; Rock_Powerfist: in this instance Shadowe is wise.; Techbot_Alpha: Shadowe is very wise *nods*; Zortel: *Quotable line about Shadowe being wise goes here.* FFM: I think you're mostly wise in this instance, apart from one part.

Hobgoblin Steve

• Underling
« Reply #3073 on: September 26, 2014, 02:35:18 PM »
I wonder how many cat girls mistakenly took the whale for a fish, and tried to eat him...

You know what? I DON'T want to know.

Mammal.

(whatever!)

Waffles

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3074 on: September 26, 2014, 02:41:16 PM »
VERY Carefully

Pretend to be Mako's mother.

HIYOOOOOOOOOOO

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #3075 on: September 26, 2014, 02:52:24 PM »

how does one RP a whale?

Well, judging by the psychic whale incident shortly after the EU/US communities merged, you RP it as far away as possible from certain players! (Unless you want a sword through the head...)

BadWolf

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3076 on: September 26, 2014, 02:59:57 PM »

how does one RP a whale?

I don't know, but I did spend a lot of mental time trying to figure out what kinds of superpowers a half-man, half-seacow would have, so I could make the story of Subject O, an experiment in creating animal/human hybrids. He was going to be O--the Humanatee!

...please don't hurt me.

AlienOne

• HumanZero
  • Elite Boss
  • Resident Kheldian
« Reply #3077 on: September 26, 2014, 03:10:59 PM »
Never had a single problem with Vista. Ran just fine on my ancient Pentium3 (Northwood) 3ghz CPU with 4 gig ram and an old Radeon 8500.  To steal from Apple (who know all about doing that), everything -just worked- :p

Did you buy a "pre-made" system? Just wondering, because I built all my desktop systems for about 10 years (and had to hope that the latest version of Windows allowed for all of those components) up to about 4 years ago when I ultimately decided to use Laptops from then on.
"What COH did was to show [developers of other] MMOs what they could be like if they gave up on controlling everything in the game, and just made it something great to play."  - Johnny Joy Bringer

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #3078 on: September 26, 2014, 03:34:55 PM »
Did you buy a "pre-made" system? Just wondering, because I built all my desktop systems for about 10 years (and had to hope that the latest version of Windows allowed for all of those components) up to about 4 years ago when I ultimately decided to use Laptops from then on.

I wouldn't have a pre-built if you gave it to me.  I build my own, always have post-Amiga days. Hell, I built my first in 1980, the Sinclair ZX80 DIY kit. A bag of components, a circuit board, some instructions, and a soldering iron! ;)

Those where the days when building your own REALLY meant, building your own! :p

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #3079 on: September 26, 2014, 03:48:59 PM »
Well, judging by the psychic whale incident shortly after the EU/US communities merged, you RP it as far away as possible from certain players! (Unless you want a sword through the head...)

I must have been otherwise occupied during the 'psychic whale incident'.

Do tell!
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"