Author Topic: And the mask comes off.  (Read 1748236 times)

Pyromantic

• New Efforts # 16,000!
  • Boss
Re: And the mask comes off.
« Reply #2940 on: September 24, 2014, 02:08:06 PM »
The fact you are calling Korea is awesome. Yeah like others have said let bus help ya with that Nate.

While I don't have access to huge amounts of funds, I am more than willing to provide a little to support efforts to bring the game back, or to subscribe to the game should the opportunity come.  Heck, I'm a lot more willing to put funds towards that than to play any other game available at the moment, which tend to hold my interest for a few weeks tops.

brothermutant

• New Efforts # 14,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2941 on: September 24, 2014, 02:57:59 PM »
Oh, so that's a good question---what kinda toon are you all gonna make first (or second if its a VEAT or HEAT) when/if the game comes back online?

Gonna have to think on it for a mo' but I think it will be a scrapper or stalker for sure.

Pyromantic

• New Efforts # 16,000!
  • Boss
« Reply #2942 on: September 24, 2014, 03:22:08 PM »
Oh, so that's a good question---what kinda toon are you all gonna make first (or second if its a VEAT or HEAT) when/if the game comes back online?

Gonna have to think on it for a mo' but I think it will be a scrapper or stalker for sure.

There was a thread on that under the City of Heroes header.  I actually wrote down a list of the characters I would like to make, but I don't know which ones would be first.  Several, I suspect, before any hit 50.  I would make a few the first day to reserve names of characters I want to remake, even if I don't end up playing them right away.  A few of my "mains" I know I would remake--fire/kin 'troller, plant/rad 'troller, kat/wp scrapper, and WS--and I definitely want to make a demon/dark mm, especially as I have the beginnings of a backstory for that character that I'm fond of.

brothermutant

• New Efforts # 14,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2943 on: September 24, 2014, 03:28:13 PM »
There was a thread on that under the City of Heroes header.  I actually wrote down a list of the characters I would like to make, but I don't know which ones would be first.  Several, I suspect, before any hit 50.  I would make a few the first day to reserve names of characters I want to remake, even if I don't end up playing them right away.  A few of my "mains" I know I would remake--fire/kin 'troller, plant/rad 'troller, kat/wp scrapper, and WS--and I definitely want to make a demon/dark mm, especially as I have the beginnings of a backstory for that character that I'm fond of.
That's a good idea. Part of the fun was making good character names. We had a guy who had the best names, constantly got genericized though when he got caught...Hugh Janus was one of my favs!

I have thought about it and I think I will reroll my Stalker...Street Justice/Ninjitsu wa way fun. I love bein next to the tank when I slap down the caltrops.

Sophronisba

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2944 on: September 24, 2014, 03:35:05 PM »
I'm remaking my Willpower/War Mace tanker first.

My second character might be a Nature Affinity character; I never got to play that powerset as much as I wanted to.

KennonGL

• Boss
« Reply #2945 on: September 24, 2014, 04:14:08 PM »

Well my most favorite of my "Permanent 50's" were my Mind Control/Radiation Controller and my Martial Arts/Super Reflexes Scrapper.

Those will be the first 2 that get recreated.  Although I'm toying with the idea of altering the Radiation and/or the Martial Arts to other newer sets.

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2946 on: September 24, 2014, 04:56:00 PM »
You get us our home back (ASAP preferably  ;D), and we'll quite happily pay that phone bill for you.  8)
Tell me about it - pull that off and you can send us the bill!  :)

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #2947 on: September 24, 2014, 05:07:52 PM »
I suspect at least part of the problem comes from having to animate each "move" (power) independently so that they could return to a default status, allowing attacks to be chained together in any order. It's hard when you have to go back to an identical stance after every move to make it look flowing or smooth, unfortunately.

Is there any way to modify the animations so that they do "flow"? Somehow taking the next cued attack, and ending the current animation so that it flows in to the next one?

under-abundance of literacy

What does this mean?

I liked rad blast. I just thought giving someone radiation poisoning and leukemia(possibly) for purse snatching was a tad bit extreme. punching them , yes...burning their face off, not so much.

Get tough on the small crimes, big crimes won't happen. NYPD's been using that philosophy for years: http://www.lawofficer.com/article/news/staten-island-suspect-s-death

You just made my brain twitch o.O

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/There_are_known_knowns

My question is - Where do I find the old CoV Character creation music? The one that basically sounded like a bombastic version of the Main CoV Login theme

http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Music

There's also a thread somewhere with all the music and sound effects from the game available for download.

http://www.drawastickman.com/episode1?o=66-69-32-67-82-69-65-84-73-86-69s66-89-58-32-84-72-69-32-66-65-78-68-69-69

Who shared this? It's awesome!

As an example of keeping secrets, you picked...the U.S. Government?  They leak like a sieve.

The Manhattan Project was indeed kept super secret.
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Pyromantic

• New Efforts # 16,000!
  • Boss
« Reply #2948 on: September 24, 2014, 05:08:16 PM »
On the subject of which characters to make, thought I'd add one: A sonic/mental/elec blaster.  I never got a blaster to 50 (37 was the highest) and always regretted that a little.  This build has access to enough cone attacks to put a pretty ridiculous cone chain together (howl, shockwave, sirens song, psychic scream and static discharge), using the sleep and knockback for control as needed.  Plus, the option to sleep a group before moving in to drain psyche sounds delicious.

brothermutant

• New Efforts # 14,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2949 on: September 24, 2014, 05:19:49 PM »
On the subject of which characters to make, thought I'd add one: A sonic/mental/elec blaster.  I never got a blaster to 50 (37 was the highest) and always regretted that a little.  This build has access to enough cone attacks to put a pretty ridiculous cone chain together (howl, shockwave, sirens song, psychic scream and static discharge), using the sleep and knockback for control as needed. Plus, the option to sleep a group before moving in to drain psyche sounds delicious.
Pretty. Yeah, IF I even make a blaster again, It would probably have to have Mental as the secondary as its the only one (IIRC) that has the plus regen/plus recov move in it.

And sonics (while their sound is annoying) are great for debuffin the resist of baddies, AND there are a LOT of control moves in both Sonic/Mental which should have a nice semi-troller feel to it. But if you don't mind my asking, why ELEC as the ancillary? Not complaining, just curious what you plan to do with it. I would (almost always) go for Mace just to get the Scorp shield which is HUGE defenses.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2950 on: September 24, 2014, 05:23:41 PM »
Is there any way to modify the animations so that they do "flow"? Somehow taking the next cued attack, and ending the current animation so that it flows in to the next one?

In the general case not with the CoH game engine without major design modifications.  Its conceivable to do something close to this in theory with some very, very complex animation design (involving designing the rooted verses non-rooted animation sequences carefully and using exclusive mode bits to chop up the animations in a way so that every combination of every staff power pairing has an appropriate stop point), but that would be burning the work you could be using to make several other powersets' animations.

The Manhattan Project was indeed kept super secret.

Governments don't keep secrets, people do.  At the time, everyone directly involved with the Manhattan Project felt very strongly that there was nothing to be gained by leaking critical information about the project.  The moment the war was over there were those that felt nuclear weapons technology was too dangerous for only one country to have, and its at that point that nuclear secrets began to leak from the US nuclear programs.

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #2951 on: September 24, 2014, 05:47:53 PM »
Or...However else you want to say it.  But we are distracting ourselves quite well here, and Team Hail Mary is left to work in peace.  And I think that is the best thing that could happen at this point.

-places Statesman in a huge, sparkly tutu (complete with flashing LEDs)- Distracting enough?
No?

HAMIDON IN A TUTU!
(Cue thunder and evil laughter)
"Let's get dangerous..."
Lead Developer and Master of Mischief - Revival Project.
Revival website: APR.Pc-Logix.com

Pyromantic

• New Efforts # 16,000!
  • Boss
« Reply #2952 on: September 24, 2014, 05:48:10 PM »
Pretty. Yeah, IF I even make a blaster again, It would probably have to have Mental as the secondary as its the only one (IIRC) that has the plus regen/plus recov move in it.

And sonics (while their sound is annoying) are great for debuffin the resist of baddies, AND there are a LOT of control moves in both Sonic/Mental which should have a nice semi-troller feel to it. But if you don't mind my asking, why ELEC as the ancillary? Not complaining, just curious what you plan to do with it. I would (almost always) go for Mace just to get the Scorp shield which is HUGE defenses.

Well, not 100% sure on the elec APP, but that's my initial thought for a few reasons.   I'd probably do this as a hero and IIRC I wouldn't be able to access PPP without side-switching, which I probably would rather avoid needing.  I'd also like to have shocking bolt, and the additional cone in static discharge is nice.  I expect I'd build for ranged defense, which wouldn't work very well with scorpion shield; I'd be looking for resistance more.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #2953 on: September 24, 2014, 05:52:17 PM »

How cool would it be if, someone got to 50 and they were able to choose their own H/Veat from all of the enemy groups such as if I wanted a Knives Heat I would need a level 50 plus all the badges under this enemy group :)
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2954 on: September 24, 2014, 06:44:56 PM »

Dominator.  Elec.  Elec.

Brute.  SS/Shield.

Ice/Ice Blaster.

EM/Invul Tank.

Domi.  Plant/Stone.

...to start with.

I just want to play the original Issue 23 game, cruelly cut down in full flight.

Azrael.

Medispider Reznov

• Minion
« Reply #2955 on: September 24, 2014, 07:00:29 PM »
I'd probably bring back my Invul/Ice Tanker just for giggles - this costume made a lot of Americans upset for some reason.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2956 on: September 24, 2014, 07:01:57 PM »
I have a feeling that if NCSoft had any smidgen of idea that they had the code...they wouldn't have the code.
If they did have the code... Then the best thing they could do is to disseminate it as wide and far as possible.
There are lots of ways... and I doubt NCSoft is going to have more luck killing it once it's going than the FBI/RIAA/MPAA/ETC. have had in the last 15 years.

They would not come after us.  They would go after the leaker, and they would be easier to identify than you might think, given the relatively small size of the development team.  But even if there was only a 10% chance that NCSoft's legal team was able to identify them and even wanted to take action, would you actually ask a professional game developer to risk his or her career just so you could play a video game?  Legal action isn't even the worst thing that could happen.  Being blackballed in a very small industry is the worst thing that could happen.

If a dev approached me with the source and asked me to torrent it to the world, I would probably do it but not before first advising them against it.  I could do it untraceably because my fingerprints aren't on the source itself, but its really hard to be certain that the files you have aren't tainted in some way.  A timestamp that gives access away, or meta data that singles you out.  An owner flag on a README file you forgot about, or the IP address of your workstation embedded in that print to PDF you made five years ago.  A test part of the tree only you worked on.  I've worked the other side of the fence, tracking data leaks, and people always make a mistake somewhere.

People are focused on the player side of this, that we could disseminate the source widely, and we could set up servers they couldn't bring down, and NCSoft wouldn't want to go after us.  We're not the problem.  The question is whose career and livelihood are we going to risk to get there.  That's the problem.  If a dev somewhere has the source code, I would not expect them to risk their career releasing it publicly, nor would I ever think to ask them to take that risk.  I would tell them that if they did, someone like me has a decent chance of tracking them down.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2957 on: September 24, 2014, 07:04:24 PM »
I'd probably bring back my Invul/Ice Tanker just for giggles - this costume made a lot of Americans upset for some reason.

Maybe its because a lot of Americans have repressed memories of bad childhood experiences with mall Santas.

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2958 on: September 24, 2014, 07:13:31 PM »

I had an old duo partner who rolled a Russian style character.

We RPG'd the 'frosty' American/Russian cold war relationship thing.

Heh.  He was highly annoying with it too... :P

I always imagined a voice similar to Arnie's when he played a Russian Soldier in that movie...was it 'Red Star?'  That made his character even more annoying... :P

Azrael.

brothermutant

• New Efforts # 14,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2959 on: September 24, 2014, 07:18:06 PM »
Maybe its because a lot of Americans have repressed memories of bad childhood experiences with mall Santas.
HA! I was thinkin it was Ruskie Santa. I wouldn't worry about it, it looked dam cool to me man.