Author Topic: And the mask comes off.  (Read 1750167 times)

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
Re: And the mask comes off.
« Reply #2920 on: September 24, 2014, 03:08:24 AM »
Does 2 years count as "Quickly"?
From some perspectives yes.

Not that i ever needed patrol XP to level, there were even occasions with a few alts where i turned XP off to prevent leveling too quickly because i had quixotically decided to run all the TFs and Trials in order and at the appropriate level for the TF/SF/Trial, so a cap to patrol XP wasn't something i paid much attention to in the first place. Honestly, with a bunch of global channels and friends to join up with at almost any time the only characters that were ever slow to level were on low pop servers that i rarely played on.
The only cap i recall not reaching was the inf cap. While it's probable i could've funneled that much inf onto a couple alts, my in game assets, such as they were, were usually scattered across dozens of alts whether as actual inf or various bits and pieces purchased for the alts.

So many things i'd like to do just because i can if/when the game comes back. Hitting all those caps i never got around to trying for while the game was still running... Teaming up with other players... Finding new and silly ways to get characters killed... Making a strong and pretty Brute... Purpling out my Warshade... Defeating Caleb...
So far so good. Onward and upward!

darkgob

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2921 on: September 24, 2014, 04:03:58 AM »
Does 2 years count as "Quickly"?

Fair point.  :'(

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2922 on: September 24, 2014, 04:40:08 AM »
Defeating Caleb...

Ah good old Caleb, hard to find at first but once he was in visual range......

Man the Giant Monster hunts were fun.
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2923 on: September 24, 2014, 07:56:25 AM »
If someone like Arcana can hack the test server (or live I can't remember the story) chances are she also had the source.

Just for the record, there were three different possible technical ways I could have done what I did on the beta servers prior to shutdown, and none of them involve possessing the source code.  In fact, possession of the source code would not have helped much in that regard.  And no, I did not possess the source code or use it to pull that off.  The precise way I did that is something I can't share publicly.

If anyone outside of NCSoft possesses the source code to the game servers, they would have to be crazy to even come on the forums to deny it.  It would simply make them a target of speculation.  So there's no real benefit to speculating about it.  Also, speculation has a tendency to rely on guesswork that, long time readers of my posts will recall, I have consistently declared to be, when I'm in a position to know, hopelessly wrong.  Its understandable, but the track record of outsider guesswork has been genuinely dismal, from how the game implements powers to how the game servers function to the architecture of the game systems to even how the devs work on the game.  Pretty much *none* of the guesses I've ever read have been right.  So much so, that when I see someone "guessing" and guess right, I know I've spotted someone playing inside ball and just not admitting it (in fact, I think that's how a lot of insiders spot each other in a variety of areas, not just City of Heroes gaming).

The only reason I'm posting on this subject at all is because I've been a target of speculation for over nine years anyway, so it makes no difference.  Half the playerbase thinks I'm a wizard, and the other half think I'm a complete faker.  There's nothing I can say to change those odds either way.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2924 on: September 24, 2014, 08:23:24 AM »
See, this is funny to me.  I'm running Windows 8 as we speak, and since day 1 I've found it to be superior in EVERY way.  There is, literally, NOTHING I can't do in Windows 8 that I could in 7, and do it faster.

I'm sure this is true for lots of people, but for the specific case of someone that is running Windows on a non-touch device that multitasks, Windows 8 is only faster for people who somehow work slower when in the presence of odd numbers.

Also, anyone who loads more than a few programs quickly finds themselves in chicklet-hell. 

Objectively, and I'm not the only person who has performed this analysis, Windows 7's interface is far more transparent.  From a human interface design perspective, Windows 8 forces users to figure out and learn a lot more than Windows 7 does.  Sure, you can argue that "once you learn" all its nuances it might be as fast or faster, but that's not the correct way to judge the useability of a UI.  The way to judge a UI is to see how difficult it is for someone to figure out how to make it work, and on that score I've seen and taught people both interfaces: Windows 8 loses and loses big.

Even Microsoft is figuring this out: the success of Windows 9 hinges explicitly on the degree to which it fixes the mistakes Windows 8 makes, not the degree to which it improves on the new features of Windows 8 that didn't exist prior.

Under the hood, in the kernel and core operating system, yes Windows 8 does have many enhancements.  I find the friction associated with using Windows 8 to make me not really care.  Windows 8 doesn't solve a problem.  Windows 7 solved the problem of making Vista's security enhancements significantly less rage-inducing and providing a 64-bit platform that wasn't a complete joke (XP-64).  The only problem Windows 8 solved was saving people money by not having to upgrade to it.

Even the best defense of Metro I've ever read starts by admitting that for power users Metro is complete crap.  I'm not sure I buy all of that writer's assertions, but when you start your defense of Windows 8 with "its interface does suck (for power users) but..." that suggests even within Microsoft people know they did not deal themselves a strong hand with Win8.

In any event, while there are those that say Windows 8 lets them do what they did in Windows 7 better, for me the problem is that what I currently do in Windows 7 I cannot do at all, in any way, in Windows 8.  That makes it non-functional for me, because I don't change the way I work to fit my OS, I run the OS that does what I need it to do.  What I do is multitask, and Win8's interface - and even Win8.1's interface to an extent - just plain sucks at it.

sweatcake66

• Underling
« Reply #2925 on: September 24, 2014, 10:35:17 AM »
I'm sure this is true for lots of people, but for the specific case of someone that is running Windows on a non-touch device that multitasks, Windows 8 is only faster for people who somehow work slower when in the presence of odd numbers.

Also, anyone who loads more than a few programs quickly finds themselves in chicklet-hell. 

Objectively, and I'm not the only person who has performed this analysis, Windows 7's interface is far more transparent.  From a human interface design perspective, Windows 8 forces users to figure out and learn a lot more than Windows 7 does.  Sure, you can argue that "once you learn" all its nuances it might be as fast or faster, but that's not the correct way to judge the useability of a UI.  The way to judge a UI is to see how difficult it is for someone to figure out how to make it work, and on that score I've seen and taught people both interfaces: Windows 8 loses and loses big.

Even Microsoft is figuring this out: the success of Windows 9 hinges explicitly on the degree to which it fixes the mistakes Windows 8 makes, not the degree to which it improves on the new features of Windows 8 that didn't exist prior.

Under the hood, in the kernel and core operating system, yes Windows 8 does have many enhancements.  I find the friction associated with using Windows 8 to make me not really care.  Windows 8 doesn't solve a problem.  Windows 7 solved the problem of making Vista's security enhancements significantly less rage-inducing and providing a 64-bit platform that wasn't a complete joke (XP-64).  The only problem Windows 8 solved was saving people money by not having to upgrade to it.

Even the best defense of Metro I've ever read starts by admitting that for power users Metro is complete crap.  I'm not sure I buy all of that writer's assertions, but when you start your defense of Windows 8 with "its interface does suck (for power users) but..." that suggests even within Microsoft people know they did not deal themselves a strong hand with Win8.

In any event, while there are those that say Windows 8 lets them do what they did in Windows 7 better, for me the problem is that what I currently do in Windows 7 I cannot do at all, in any way, in Windows 8.  That makes it non-functional for me, because I don't change the way I work to fit my OS, I run the OS that does what I need it to do.  What I do is multitask, and Win8's interface - and even Win8.1's interface to an extent - just plain sucks at it.

Just too add my 2 inf in on this subject. I started out with the Commodor 64C, then my first "PC" was a pc with win 3.1, then win 85, Win XP, and just about a year from Microsoft stop supporting XP i jumped to win 7. ( I know I Know bad grammer. with a hint of bad spelling.) Now i run a Win 7 with Linux Opensuse. Linux for surfing the web, paying bills online, and anything non gameing related. I jump on Win 7 to play my games and work/play around with Unity 3D.

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2926 on: September 24, 2014, 12:41:39 PM »
*ahem*

This is not idle speculation about code leaks central.

It is "gods damnit, I hate calling Korea" central. Man my phone bill is going to suck.

KennonGL

• Boss
« Reply #2927 on: September 24, 2014, 12:44:10 PM »
It is "gods damnit, I hate calling Korea" central. Man my phone bill is going to suck.

You get us our home back (ASAP preferably  ;D), and we'll quite happily pay that phone bill for you.  8)

Surelle

« Reply #2928 on: September 24, 2014, 12:57:52 PM »
*ahem*

This thread may have originally started as Korea Central, but it has morphed by necessity into "We Are so Excited we Could Explode so we Need to Talk About Whatever Else we can Think of," because the general populace finding out bits of information about Team Hail Mary almost melted the internet once already.  And no one wants a drippy, goopy, boiling-over internet.

Or...You could say, "A watched pot never boils."

Or...However else you want to say it.  But we are distracting ourselves quite well here, and Team Hail Mary is left to work in peace.  And I think that is the best thing that could happen at this point. 

Let us know right away if a deal gets signed and all the plans are in place to rez CoX, though.    ;D

And for what it's worth, Nate, I think we should all split your phone bill with you, win or lose.   ;)

blacksly

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2929 on: September 24, 2014, 01:14:52 PM »
Half the playerbase thinks I'm a wizard, and the other half think I'm a complete faker.  There's nothing I can say to change those odds either way.

A little under .23% thinks that you're a mouse who is a wizard's apprentice. ;)

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2930 on: September 24, 2014, 01:17:17 PM »
To be serious - I would happily pitch in on a kickstarter to pay that phonebill or even set up a quick paypal when you get it.

I know you would raise the funds in one day. You can set a cap at paypal for a limit that stops once you get it - I believe. You aren't asking for money  I know but seriously, I know a lot of us appreciate what you are doing and a being able to even chip in $5 gives people a sense of helping. I was once told a good piece of advise by a friend - allow others to help you - it benefits their souls and lets them feel good about themselves.

KennonGL

• Boss
« Reply #2931 on: September 24, 2014, 01:28:41 PM »
Heck, if it would help things along, we could more than likely swing enough funds
for semi-regular trips to Korea for face-to-face negotiations.

Zerohour

• Lieutenant
  • Trapped in the Speed Force
« Reply #2932 on: September 24, 2014, 01:41:23 PM »
Man this has been a long stretch of zero updates

Fable

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2933 on: September 24, 2014, 01:48:09 PM »
Man this has been a long stretch of zero updates

That's a good thing.
"oh, by the way, we own City of Heroes now: who wants pie."

ivanhedgehog

• New Efforts # 25,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2934 on: September 24, 2014, 01:48:51 PM »
*ahem*

the fact that it is going to suck tells me there is activity..this makes me happy...sorry about the phone bill, but thank you for doing it.

Medispider Reznov

• Minion
« Reply #2935 on: September 24, 2014, 01:49:40 PM »
Koreans don't believe in Skype calls? :P

mrultimate

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2936 on: September 24, 2014, 01:49:48 PM »
To be serious - I would happily pitch in on a kickstarter to pay that phonebill or even set up a quick paypal when you get it.

I know you would raise the funds in one day. You can set a cap at paypal for a limit that stops once you get it - I believe. You aren't asking for money  I know but seriously, I know a lot of us appreciate what you are doing and a being able to even chip in $5 gives people a sense of helping. I was once told a good piece of advise by a friend - allow others to help you - it benefits their souls and lets them feel good about themselves.

Graet advice and very true.

ivanhedgehog

• New Efforts # 25,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2937 on: September 24, 2014, 01:50:34 PM »
A little under .23% thinks that you're a mouse who is a wizard's apprentice. ;)

.01% think that you are the alien overmind that foisted justin beiber and new coke on us. :gonk:

mrultimate

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2938 on: September 24, 2014, 01:51:52 PM »
*ahem*

The fact you are calling Korea is awesome. Yeah like others have said let bus help ya with that Nate.

Pyromantic

• New Efforts # 16,000!
  • Boss
« Reply #2939 on: September 24, 2014, 02:05:25 PM »
Purpling out my Warshade...

While my WS build wasn't massively expensive, it had enough recharge for perm-Eclipse and it was hella fun.  I've actually been poking around with Mids to get a WS build with perm-Eclipse and decent ranged defense, as I expect that's one of the first goals I would have if the game comes back.